Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Ronan H wrote: »
    That's a bummer. Have you tried checking manually? You can do so on the phone and via the Nokia PC Suite software. It might be a product code issue maybe?
    That's all been done ;) Prolly Prod code allocation as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi folks,
    I have a SGS2 and a Nexus 7 tablet. Was thinking that i do not need two smart devices so wsa going to get shot of the phone and go for a N8 or 808 Pure view.

Any thoughts.

relly only check email on the phone every now and again. Love taking photos with it, but also use Tune In loads.

Also the Nokia needs to have ability to shae wifi with other devices. Can you also listen to Google Music on the Nokias?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

don't know about google music but you should be able to do what you want with either nokias. Btw most people that own and are happy with an n8 would probably look to upgrade to the 808. If you are determined to go for one of them the 808 would be a no brainer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

BrookieD wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I have a SGS2 and a Nexus 7 tablet. Was thinking that i do not need two smart devices so wsa going to get shot of the phone and go for a N8 or 808 Pure view.

Any thoughts.

relly only check email on the phone every now and again. Love taking photos with it, but also use Tune In loads.

Also the Nokia needs to have ability to shae wifi with other devices. Can you also listen to Google Music on the Nokias?

Why do want the change?
    Im not sure about the google music, I haven't tried it on ether device, but I can if you need me too

dr ro wrote: »
    don't know about google music but you should be able to do what you want with either nokias. Btw most people that own and are happy with an n8 would probably look to upgrade to the 808. If you are determined to go for one of them the 808 would be a no brainer.

Large price different in them. I would say the 808 would be a no brainer if your not a mad camera head. The N8 will take great shots, better than most would want imo.

would admit i am a mad camera head - getting drawn to the 808 - would love to know if I can access google music on a browser or app?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

would admit i am a mad camera head - getting drawn to the 808 - would love to know if I can access google music on a browser or app?

Post a link to make sure Im checking exactly what you want. Bit busy so may not get to check it straight away.

Any other questions on it ask away

@Davy - Thanks for the offer - if you search for google music it takes you to music.google.com if you have a google account you can upload your collection to it. I have loads in there. Just need to know can i access on the Nokia phone -
    if the browser is HTML5 comliant then i think it might work as a web app?
    Cheers
    Darren

@Davy - Thanks for the offer - if you search for google music it takes you to music.google.com if you have a google account you can upload your collection to it. I have loads in there. Just need to know can i access on the Nokia phone -
    if the browser is HTML5 comliant then i think it might work as a web app?
    Cheers
    Darren

Its saying Ireland isn't a supported country when trying to sign in

Hi mate, I forgot a USA vpn is needed to sign up to google music. once you get in first time you no longer need a vpn for access

Hi mate, I forgot a USA vpn is needed to sign up to google music. once you get in first time you no longer need a vpn for access

You can login via the browser, but function is very poor. Might have to try a difference approach.

• Advertisement

Davy
    Thanks for trying that. Would there be another cloud music player for symbian? had a look on google and nothing there. I dont mind uploading my tunes elsewhere is I can stream them.

Cheers
    Darren

Davy
    Thanks for trying that. Would there be another cloud music player for symbian? had a look on google and nothing there. I dont mind uploading my tunes elsewhere is I can stream them.

Cheers
    Darren

You need to stream? Not interested in having them on the mass or memory card?

TBH it means i dont have to be to fussed on copying the music over each time i get new tracks. At the moment it just appears in google music after 5 mins of uploding to the cloud.

not a killer but handy to have

TBH it means i dont have to be to fussed on copying the music over each time i get new tracks. At the moment it just appears in google music after 5 mins of uploding to the cloud.

not a killer but handy to have

This works:> http://mobile.grooveshark.com/phones/nokia

App downloaded fine from the website to the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,401 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Davy wrote: »
    This works:> http://mobile.grooveshark.com/phones/nokia

App downloaded fine from the website to the phone
    Love grooveshark, didn't even realise that it was available for Nokia phones :cool:

Davy - many thanks for the help, Defo set on trying to get a 808 - Camera swung it for me and looking to trade the Galaxy S2 for one on Adverts.

Need to find one now.

Cheers
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I'm back. I had unsubscribed from this thread because I wasn't using the phone much, but I am happy to report that I have ditched my Lumia 800 and moved back to the N8. I just can't stand the Lumia any more, and I blame Microsoft because the OS is tripe. Nokia have made a great phone, but Microsoft have ruined it, in my opinion!

There's hardly any interest in buying the Lumia at €110 for the past two days. I guess it's available for not far off that now on PAYG though.

Anyway, it's good to be back!

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm back. I had unsubscribed from this thread because I wasn't using the phone much, but I am happy to report that I have ditched my Lumia 800 and moved back to the N8. I just can't stand the Lumia any more, and I blame Microsoft because the OS is tripe. Nokia have made a great phone, but Microsoft have ruined it, in my opinion!

There's hardly any interest in buying the Lumia at €110 for the past two days. I guess it's available for not far off that now on PAYG though.

Anyway, it's good to be back!

Ro

What was it that you did not like about Lumia exactly compared to Symbian?

I mean WP is garbage, but so is Symbian.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    What was it that you did not like about Lumia exactly compared to Symbian?

I mean WP is garbage, but so is Symbian.

Well, I loved the phone itself, but as you say, WP is garbage. Yes Symbian is a bit behind the times too, but there are some small things that it does well that I like, which WP didn't do.

An example of that is as simple as the calendar. On Symbian I can have a homescreen widget that shows me the next few items that are upcoming. Nice. On WP, despite having a huge tile, it only shows me one item at a time, so there is a huge blank area on the tile which could be taken up with, say, two more appointments, but instead its just blank. And then there's a massive number indicating the date, a waste of even more space. I understand the need for clarity, but that's taking it too far with those big tiles, and the downside is that it reduces the usefulness of the tile.

WP is junk if you are a power user. The amount of wasted screen real estate is ridiculous. Those big tiles do aid clarity, but seriously, people actually want to get stuff done these days y'know. I like to have a lot of information on hand, and with WP that seems to be the furthest thing from their minds.

As I said, that's just one example of a simple thing that drove me insane about WP. I hated the limitations of the OS, you can barely do anything to customise it. At least you can do a bit with Symbian, and in fact, quite a bit more than WP by comparison.

Now let's be honest, Belle feels very slow on the N8 compared to the nippiness of the Lumia, but I'll live with that for now.

I should also say that this shift to the N8 is only a temporary situation until I can get my hands on a Nexus 4, but that said, I am entirely happy to be using the N8 again, and I think it is a testament to the phone considering it is an "old" phone at this stage. It's been said a hundred times in this thread, the N8 was a once in a lifetime phone, the features it has are outstanding, and have not been repeated since really.

Happy New Year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Well, I loved the phone itself, but as you say, WP is garbage. Yes Symbian is a bit behind the times too, but there are some small things that it does well that I like, which WP didn't do.

WP is junk if you are a power user. The amount of wasted screen real estate is ridiculous. Those big tiles do aid clarity, but seriously, people actually want to get stuff done these days y'know. I like to have a lot of information on hand, and with WP that seems to be the furthest thing from their minds.

As I said, that's just one example of a simple thing that drove me insane about WP. I hated the limitations of the OS, you can barely do anything to customise it. At least you can do a bit with Symbian, and in fact, quite a bit more than WP by comparison.

Now let's be honest, Belle feels very slow on the N8 compared to the nippiness of the Lumia, but I'll live with that for now.

Ronan have you tried flashing your N8 with custom firmware to speed it up and tweak it a bit to get better performance from it?

It's not nearly as painful as flashing custom firmware on android phones, so if you've done that, you'll easily be able to flash your N8! :)

• Advertisement

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Ronan have you tried flashing your N8 with custom firmware to speed it up and tweak it a bit to get better performance from it?

It's not nearly as painful as flashing custom firmware on android phones, so if you've done that, you'll easily be able to flash your N8! :)

I did a couple of years ago but I haven't been using the phone much in that time so I'm a bit out of the loop as to what custom stuff is currently trending. Any suggestions? I do like to tinker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I did a couple of years ago but I haven't been using the phone much in that time so I'm a bit out of the loop as to what custom stuff is currently trending. Any suggestions? I do like to tinker!

Well I'm using this one myself at the moment-

http://www.symbiantweet.com/s4-xeon-nokia-belle-custom-firmware-for-n8-updated-to-v3-4-5

but there's plenty of choices available from here-

http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.php?board=121.0

"The One" seems to be a popular firmware but there's all sorts of mods and patches you can get for the phone once you have it hacked to allow access to system files. Most of the custom firmwares are pre-hacked (it's like rooting your android) but the beauty of symbian mods is that you just copy over the hack to mass storage and enable it in RomPatcher, as opposed to pissing about in terminal on android to get stuff working! :D

I love tinkering too, but more times android has me tear my hair out, whereas symbian while it might be old school, I find it much easier to work with!

Nice one, I'll have a gander at them over the next few days and initiate tinkering!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

An example of that is as simple as the calendar. On Symbian I can have a homescreen widget that shows me the next few items that are upcoming. Nice. On WP, despite having a huge tile, it only shows me one item at a time, so there is a huge blank area on the tile which could be taken up with, say, two more appointments, but instead its just blank. And then there's a massive number indicating the date, a waste of even more space. I understand the need for clarity, but that's taking it too far with those big tiles, and the downside is that it reduces the usefulness of the tile.

I should also say that this shift to the N8 is only a temporary situation until I can get my hands on a Nexus 4, but that said, I am entirely happy to be using the N8 again, and I think it is a testament to the phone considering it is an "old" phone at this stage. It's been said a hundred times in this thread, the N8 was a once in a lifetime phone, the features it has are outstanding, and have not been repeated since really.

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

All very valid points, it seems that Android would suit you just fine! It has even more functionality and customization than Symbian now, coupled with a much better UI and a competent company that knows what they're doing.

WP though, yea... overdone, long animations, completely wasteful UI, monotonous, square... I could go on and on, that UI is awful, somebody infiltrated Microsoft and install a virus called Metro... it killed Zune, killed Windows Phone, it's killing Windows now, the sales are lower than Vista's.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    square
    Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I've been looking around for a replacement for the N8 , sort of (contract ends soon), but couldn't find anything close - the lack of FM transmitter being the main feature I was looking for.

So, I've decided to refresh the N8, and I've ordered a new digitizer/speaker and end caps. Should be good.

I've also being having trouble with an app - albite - so decided to do a *#etc reset.

All went well, and to my surprise I ended up with Belle Refresh as well, plus 80mb of free memory (up from 15). And a new version of maps, plus also was able to install swype1.

Great little phone! Maybe someone will make a wp handset with the same functions as the N8, but until then I'm sticking!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Raffeal

I have to use an iPhone for work and still miss the N8, the missus uses it now and the camera and maps are still much better then the competition. Great phone. I need to get new end caps, a few drops have cracked the end cap where the microphone plugs in and the same has happened the other end. Where did you order yours for, when I looked the options were very expensive.

I got them on ebay, though I'm now UK based so there's a lot more choice here.

I haven't opened the packs yet(waiting for the digitizer before I start), so may be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Raffeal

Let us know how you get on with them, I was looking for a new phone for the missus but she doesn't want any that are out so I think I'll be fixing the one she has up soon.

• Advertisement

Sure, I'll do that - if I can!

Update - went well, parts fitted fine. Doing the screen was scary, but the new digitizer has the adhesive so all went well on that front. The top cap is a sod to remove - attaching stickytape to it helps. There is a youtube video that covers it and there is a link on it to a complete strip down by the same guy.

The only bit that caught me was the clips for the screen. I hadn't tightened the mainboard retaining self taping screws fully and the screen was sitting proud, even though it was fully clipped.

Took a few minutes to tighten them up and all is good - new speaker, new screen, everything works so far. I also downgraded the internet radio to 3.03 so now can play the internet stations over the FM transmitter to the hifi. lovely!

link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1aziDH0p5s

Advertisement