Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Just on the build quality. The panel on the bottom of the phone has been replaced three times since I bought the phone 2 years ago. No major drops to blame it on.Anyone else find that Its a weak spot on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I've never had that issue, nor any issue with the physicality of the phone for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

dohouch wrote: »
    Are you referring to this post
    Which post is that in reply to kmart?

Sorry, the post from scamalert, don't know why it didn't quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

kmart6 wrote: »
    Sorry, the post from scamalert, don't know why it didn't quote!
    whats to understand all high end phones were made in Finland.Parts might come from different country but to carry text made in Finland most of the parts and assembly has to be Fin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Just on the build quality. The panel on the bottom of the phone has been replaced three times since I bought the phone 2 years ago. No major drops to blame it on.Anyone else find that Its a weak spot on the phone?
    Ronan H wrote: »
    I've never had that issue, nor any issue with the physicality of the phone for that matter.

I've taken mine apart and put it back together numerous times, all arising from a cracked digitiser and screen (I think a car rolled over it). Did it again last night as the glue on the cheap chinese screen I had to put in was coming unstuck, have to say it's a very robust phone and I've put mine through some serious hardship!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Its the only problem I've ever had with the phone and the other parts seem very robust.
    Must be a problem with my particular phone, but three times in a Nokia Care store should have sorted it

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Its the only problem I've ever had with the phone and the other parts seem very robust.
    Must be a problem with my particular phone, but three times in a Nokia Care store should have sorted it

I had my top break within a few weeks of buying it! Pluged in a pair of earphones and the plastic around the hole broke apart, Nokia wouldn't sort it out either. Phone has been in the wars since, thrown an bounced of walls and floors with no damage or anything, very robust, VERY...! Until one throw too many last week, totally shattering the digitizer. Bought a refurbished one with top and bottom casing from ebay for €35 p&p inc. waiting on delivery, supposidly 100% Genuine Nokia part, better than paying €140 for someone else to do it. Could buy a near brand new one for that price!

Phone had no protective covering during abuse of the phone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I tried to update to Symbian Belle Refresh today, borrowing a mate's microUSB cable (from a Galaxy S3), because I've lost my own.

While bluetooth works fine to access the phone, I can't download / install the update unless I use the cable.

The problem is that the computer doesn't recognise the phone. There's no "new hardware inserted" sound from the PC. i.e. it's not simply Ovi Suite that's not recognising the phone, it's Windows. This is even extended to the point whereby the cable literally isn't even charging the phone for me.
    (On either my computer, or his)

Maybe the phone itself is broken, but I was figuring it was either a problem with the cable, or the port on the phone itself.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

I tried to update to Symbian Belle Refresh today, borrowing a mate's microUSB cable (from a Galaxy S3), because I've lost my own.

While bluetooth works fine to access the phone, I can't download / install the update unless I use the cable.

The problem is that the computer doesn't recognise the phone. There's no "new hardware inserted" sound from the PC. i.e. it's not simply Ovi Suite that's not recognising the phone, it's Windows. This is even extended to the point whereby the cable literally isn't even charging the phone for me.
    (On either my computer, or his)

Maybe the phone itself is broken, but I was figuring it was either a problem with the cable, or the port on the phone itself.

Any ideas?

My daughter has a Samsung phone and the cable from hers sometimes doesn't work with my N8 but other times it can work, Strange!!! :eek:

Grab a pin and very gently scrap inside the mini end just to make sure there's no bits of grit or anything else covering the connectors stopping it fully connecting :confused:

:UPDATE:

Funnily enough I now have the very same issue, it worked fine earlier today but now my PC (Windows 7 32-bit) is saying USB Device Not Recognized! WTF??? Odd, Very Odd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Going to upgrade from a nokia e52 qnd was thinking strongly of this phone. Do a lot of browsing internet and the usual social networks stuff.

I have both a Nokia E52 (which replaced my four year old E51, which replaced my N95, you get the idea, i do like my Nokia!), and recently (as in last week!), Nokia sent me an N8 as a goodwill gesture to replace my Nokia X6 which I had left in for repair (I have the letter from the Nokia Service Centre in England), so I'll try and answer some of these questions for you.

My questions are

1) Whats the battery life like

On my Nokia E52 I mainly only use it for texts and calls so I have 3G disabled and usually I'd get about a week out of a full charge. The N8, so far I've managed to squeeze nearly two days out of it with 3G constantly connected via whatsapp. On both phones I have them set to full brightness and display timeout set to max. Both phones are capable of automatic power saving mode and USB charging.

2) I've never had a touchscreen phone it simple to use

I've always had a problem with touchscreens personally- straight up, touchscreens generally are pants compared to keypad phones, but far less hassle than the likes of the qwerty keypads on the Nokia E72. As for actual functionality, well both the E52 and the N8 are similar enough that you won't feel "completely" out of your depth. The "Conversations" view for text messages threw me a little at first, but because I don't like threaded SMS view, I was able to quickly change it instead to the more familiar "Folders" view.

3) Can i set up large groups on my contacts for sending out large numbers of texts

You can indeed, group messaging is a standard feature on smartphones nowadays, so you can indeed do it on the N8. Another thing I should mention is that if you have all your contacts and groups synced to Nokia Suite on your computer from your E52, you can hook up your N8 and just highlight all the contacts and drag them down to "All Contacts" on the N8.

4) Is this a good phone

Straight up? As someone posted earlier in the thread, the N8 is one of those Nokia phones they release every so often that they pack features into it that have it holding its own with the best that's out now even two years later (the TWELVE megapixel camera, yes that's right, I said 12MP camera is still widely regarded as one of the best on any smartphone, as opposed to the 3.2MP camera on the E52, hell even the front camera on the N8 takes a better pic than the E52 back camera, the E52 has no front camera either!). Screen resolution and readability too, well there's no comparison really tbh, the N8 using the touch version of boards.ie is a pleasure compared to using cursor based navigation on the E52. In fact I'm typing this now on my N8, and for such a long post the E52 would've thrown up "out of memory" errors way back.

All in all I'd say you'll get used to the N8 in no time, and you should be well happy with it. The only thing I would say is don't bother with one of those silicone covers, they're far too flimsy and the phone feels "weird", but that's probably something you'll be able to judge for yourself.

Hope this helps...

EDIT: I forgot to include about social networking. One little "quirk" I didn't like was when I tried out the "Nokia Social" app and input my wife's Facebook account details (I'm not on Facebook myself), it automatically synced itself with four contacts in my phone, and the only way to get rid of it was to delete the contacts and sync them again from Nokia Suite.

Oh, and the maps app too is ridiculously accurate, and has found even the most obscure places I've thrown at it so far by tying itself in with info from goldenpages.ie.

And the HDMI too is handy, especially the way you can use an app called "big screen" to watch your videos and control playback with a wii remote of all things! If you have a smart tv it just gets even better- you can play video and photos to your tv wirelessly from the N8!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you like the N8 but want a full keyboard, then consider the E7. Pretty much the same phone, only downside is the camera on the E7 isn't as good.

Oh yes, just while I think of it now, one of my biggest bugbears is not the fault of the Nokia N8 itself, but with Sling Media, the company that manufactures the Slingbox and Slingplayer app. They have yet to release a version of the Slingplayer app to work with Nokia touchscreen phones. For this reason it might be worth holding on to the E52. I can't see them releasing a version for Nokia touchscreens any time soon as they've had two years to do it and have released versions for the android and windows 7 phone platforms since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭cena

Anyone use a ps3 remote with the n8. I see its part of that new update thay came out this week

cena wrote: »
    Anyone use a ps3 remote with the n8. I see its part of that new update thay came out this week

I've used the wii remote alright to navigate the "big screen" app, it's pretty knacky alright- pairs up over bluetooth, use the D-pad on the remote to navigate, buttons to select. I imagine the PS remote works the same way as it's also bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ncc1699

Has anyone seen this issue when you power up the phone. I get a message when my home screen appears saying "System Error" with the option to press Ok. When I do this the message disappears and I can continue to use the phone however I have noticed it can be fairly slow at times.

ncc1699 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this issue when you power up the phone. I get a message when my home screen appears saying "System Error" with the option to press Ok. When I do this the message disappears and I can continue to use the phone however I have noticed it can be fairly slow at times.

It sounds like the phone is missing content that is supposed to be on the internal hard drive but for whatever reason (usually this happens when you forget to format the hard drive before you flash new firmware on the phone, it breaks the links to files in the operating system) it seems to have gotten corrupted. If you format the mass storage memory, then do a factory reset, then connect your phone to Nokia suite and reinstall the firmware- you should be golden.

It sounds like the phone is missing content that is supposed to be on the internal hard drive but for whatever reason (usually this happens when you forget to format the hard drive before you flash new firmware on the phone, it breaks the links to files in the operating system) it seems to have gotten corrupted. If you format the mass storage memory, then do a factory reset, then connect your phone to Nokia suite and reinstall the firmware- you should be golden.

Thanks for the info. I've never carried out steps like that before so I'm a bit unsure what to do. I'm at work now and don't have my cable to connect to the computer so I'll have to wait until this evening. If I have any questions I'll repost on the forum if that's ok?

Thanks

If I have any questions I'll repost on the forum if that's ok?

Thanks

By all means, I was a new to it too myself at one stage and apprehensive about doing anything hinky with my phones, and there are posters here that are even more experienced and more knowledgeable than I am and we all share what we know and help each other. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I had the exact same issue, and the exact same steps above sorted it out for me.

This was just since the Belle Refresh recently.

That said; the phone seems to take twice as long now to start up as ever before; but, once everything is running, it's much smoother / faster.
    Did this happen for anyone else?

I had the exact same issue, and the exact same steps above sorted it out for me.

That said; the phone seems to take twice as long now to start up as ever before; but, once everything is running, it's much smoother / faster.

Was it much smoother / faster before you fixed the issue at start up or after ?

Mines painfully slow all day long.

• Advertisement

Was it much smoother / faster before you fixed the issue at start up or after ?

Mines painfully slow all day long.

I haven't got the Belle Refresh yet, but I know that when I had my Nokia X6, I installed a customised version of Symbian Anna on it (the X6 is a legacy Symbian S60 5th edition device, it was never meant to run Anna, the Nokia N8 is a Symbian S^3 device) and I much preferred that to Symbian Belle.

Custom firmware is software that has been modified and tweaked by enthusiasts the very same way as a car enthusiast would take a car and modify it to increase performance, improve the aesthetics, etc. Custom firmware often times irons out bugs (and sometimes even has bugs in it!) in the stock firmware and increase performance and can help with performance issues like this.

Like anything though that is not officially authorised, you install custom firmware at your own risk, with no warranty provided by Nokia. You are dependent on the support of the online community. Installing customised firmware itself, some people will tell you it's easy, I would suggest rather that it's so easy for something to go wrong, and it still puts me on edge during the few minutes it takes to flash new custom firmware on the phone.

If you want to know more about your phone, one of the best online resources is the Daily Mobile forums, where some of them eat, sleep, and breathe this stuff-

http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.php?board=85.0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Brand new N8, just upgraded to Belle via Nokia Suite.
    Will see but won't connect to my home WiFi

WiFi destination shows as "Known", goes "Connecting " then notification "Connection failed. WiFi netw.not found"
    Did the hard reset as complete re install - any ideas ?

Also, is Belle Refresh just another term for Belle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

long_b wrote: »

WiFi destination shows as "Known", goes "Connecting " then notification "Connection failed. WiFi netw.not found"

Belle Refresh adds some of the Belle FP1 features to the original S^3 devices - info here.

long_b wrote: »

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/N8-symbian-belle-wifi-internet-problem/td-p/1301647

Thanks - tried all of that but no axail
    Has anyone got Belle refresh on a Vodafone iE handset ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

restart your router and try it again,happens to me sometimes and this fix's it

deco nate wrote: »
    restart your router and try it again,happens to me sometimes and this fix's it

Did that several times as the first attempt at a fix

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Delete the connection on the N8 and then reboot it - hold down the power button until the N8 vibrates 3 times.

Then set up a new connection, re enter the password and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I was thinking last night - prompted by the Nokia 920 announcement - as to how the N8 could be improved. I've had mine for near 2 years and can't see what's out there to replace it. So, here's my wish list:

I know, I know, pure speculation, and all, but indulge me.

First of, the N8 is very nice under the Belle, but a slight bit slow, so I'd like it to be a bit faster, say 15%. I really like Belle, it does what I want easily.

I occasionally get "out of memory" errors - so doubling the memory would be great.

The screen, expand it to the edge of the device, with extra pixels to fill in, rather than stretch the existing pixels.

End caps made from Aluminium, to match the casing.

THE CAMERA - It needs to be faster, startup, processing and all that.

And finally, a longer lasting battery!

Oh, and making the speaker totally dust proof would be great! Mine's totally fubar'd.

Not really asking for much, am I?

Am I?

• Advertisement

Delete the connection on the N8 and then reboot it - hold down the power button until the N8 vibrates 3 times

There's a handy tip! As for your wishlist, have a look at installing custom firmware in my post a few posts back, might also fix that bug for long_b.

Advertisement