Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Quick note - the swype 2.1 beta has been fixed and is apparently working fine with the N8, I'm going to DL it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Quick note - the swype 2.1 beta has been fixed and is apparently working fine with the N8, I'm going to DL it now.

While you're at it, you should pick up the SkyDrive app that's officially for the 808, but also works a treat on my N8, allows you to automatically upload your photos to your SkyDrive storage account.

The Microsoft Office apps work seamlessly with your SkyDrive account already which is handy for pulling down docs to the phone on the fly for presentations and quick references. I wouldn't go about attempting to edit docs on the phone though!

Interesting.

It's something I've never really looked into, micorsoft apps, beyond simple word/excel etc.

I must research the other bits of the app - broadcast and lync and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I thought someone here might be able to help.
    The battery on my n8 was barely lasting 4-5 hours so had it replaced with a new one.
    Left it to charge for nearly 24 hours on its first charge yesterday and it died in less than 4 hours this morning, after very little use.
    Is there some setting on the phone that I can change, or is this a symptom of a dying phone.
    Just on a side note. When the guy in the shop turned it on when I collected it, it was still dead. I thought there would be some charge in it. Its possible they just didn't change the battery, but they're usually very good, so I'd hate to think they'd fe*k it up.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I thought someone here might be able to help.
    The battery on my n8 was barely lasting 4-5 hours so had it replaced with a new one.
    Left it to charge for nearly 24 hours on its first charge yesterday and it died in less than 4 hours this morning, after very little use.
    Is there some setting on the phone that I can change, or is this a symptom of a dying phone.
    Just on a side note. When the guy in the shop turned it on when I collected it, it was still dead. I thought there would be some charge in it. Its possible they just didn't change the battery, but they're usually very good, so I'd hate to think they'd fe*k it up.

Sounds like the most likely scenario I'm afraid.

Two years later I'd still get a days use out of my N8 (that I'm typing this on now!) with mobile data turned on, some music, texts and calls. With mobile data turned off I can go two days easily.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Did it happen gradually, or what happened?

As Czarcasm already posted, you should be able to get nearly 2 days with light usage. I can get a few days on power saver mode with the original battery.

Have you gone through settings like brightness, 3g, gps etc to see does it make any difference?

If they did a proper job on it, the phone shouldn't have been dead even it was a few days before you picked it up. I would go back and tell them its not right.

It was a gradual decline with the original battery going back about six weeks. It'd be on powersave from about 6pm every night, getting earlier and earlier as the weeks went by.
    Heading back in tomorrow with it. Hoping it was some mistake on their part as I've not seen a phone I've liked as much since I bought it. It'll hurt if its terminal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

It was a gradual decline with the original battery going back about six weeks. It'd be on powersave from about 6pm every night, getting earlier and earlier as the weeks went by.
    Heading back in tomorrow with it. Hoping it was some mistake on their part as I've not seen a phone I've liked as much since I bought it. It'll hurt if its terminal :(
    Sounds v. unusual... To eliminate a possible rogue app or two, install Nokia Battery Monitor (free), check Statistics every couple hours or so, and see if any apps are chewing big percentages? It's also got a brilliant Power Saver mode I recommend you use for a while to see if it makes a difference (if it does, prolly not a hardware/battery fault after all...).

FYI, I still get *6-7* days from a single full charge out of mine after 2 yrs. I'm a relatively light user - though I'll txt, check/send emails, & browse news apps every day; and I'll play music every other day. However, I keep it in Power Saver mode thru' Battery Monitor 90% of the time; typically means voice calls are thru 2/2.5G, Data same or Edge, apps are disabled from silently accessing data - except RSS news & email apps, vibrate alert is disabled, and screen brightness is controlled.

Hope this helps - let us know how you get on either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

any big updates for the phone this year

cena wrote: »
    any big updates for the phone this year

I don't think we'll see any more updates for symbian or the N8, Nokia now seem to be pushing people towards their Lumia range of windows 8 phones.

I'll wait I think until the Lumia 920 comes down from being silly money before I'd part with money for one to compliment my N8. If there's a replacement for the N8, I haven't seen it yet tbh.

The camera still holds it's own with the best out there, and only for the offline maps ability the other day I would've been going round in circles for ages.

You can pick them up now second hand in mint condition on adverts for €150, and I'd sooner that than the Lumia 800 for €200 which while it has windows 7.8, will never get windows 8, and tbh about it is inferior in a lot of ways to the N8.

The similarly priced Galaxy S (the S2 is nearly €100 dearer second hand) isn't as good as the N8 either if you were thinking of going down the android route, the S2 being just about comparable with it's HDMI out and USB OTG capability (how many people are even aware of this nifty little feature on the N8?). This phone truly was ahead of it's time, much like the N95 in it's day- another swiss army knife of a phone!

Personal opinion only here but I don't like iphone, straight out. I love the uniformity of the OS across devices, but you'll be lucky to pick up a 16gb 3GS for €150 second hand, and though you can put IOS 6 on it, some components of the OS are unfortunately hampered by the older hardware.

As for OS releases for the N8, well the belle refresh was the last one some time last year, but there's a fairly large community still doing custom roms for the N8 that will give you anything from better battery life to a faster OS experience.

• Advertisement

I have to agree with you, I'll not be upgrading when I'm out of contract. Nothing close out there, I've played with the android offerings and they don't offer me anything more than I've already got.

I have to agree with you, I'll not be upgrading when I'm out of contract. Nothing close out there, I've played with the android offerings and they don't offer me anything more than I've already got.

Considering how fast the mobile phone technology develops, thats saying something about a phone thats nearly three years old.
    And an awful lot about that the phones that have come since.

Considering how fast the mobile phone technology develops, thats saying something about a phone thats nearly three years old.
    And an awful lot about that the phones that have come since.

the internet browser that comes on the phone is really slow not as fast as on my ipod . What is everyone else using.

the internet browser that comes on the phone is really slow not as fast as on my ipod . What is everyone else using.

opera mini

is it faster to scroll through pages

is it faster to scroll through pages

The Nokia browser on the phone is indeed pants, I'm using opera mobile as I'm typing this right now- fast and handy, with thumbnails of all my sites on the first page, and it does a better job of rendering pages and wrapping text than the Nokia browser too!

I only wish the crowd behind Viber had gotten their finger out and made voice calling available on the N8.

In an ideal world my next phone would be an N8 with a 20% overclock, bigger memory and a bigger visible screen - same size handset - just a screen that goes out to the edge of the phone.

I wonder how much the 808 goes for nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

Keep getting message "phone memory - delete ........... files" Nokia Suite says that there is 0 of 251 Mb free. I searched this thread but could not find any definitive, how do I free up more phone memory. I got a Lumia 820 from Meteor last week but note that i dose not have "guerilla glass" so as it is as yet unopened I may send it back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The phone memory can be tricky to clear. You should have set up the mass or memory card as default for downloads etc.

You could remove some large apps from the phone, and reinstall to the mass then. Going into menu > files > C:phone memory, and then thru those folders and remove stuff as needed.

If you long press on 'C:phone memory' it will tell you what is taking the space and this will help you clear etc. Let me know how you get on, or if you need more help

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

Davy wrote: »
    The phone memory can be tricky to clear. You should have set up the mass or memory card as default for downloads etc.

You could remove some large apps from the phone, and reinstall to the mass then. Going into menu > files > C:phone memory, and then thru those folders and remove stuff as needed.

If you long press on 'C:phone memory' it will tell you what is taking the space and this will help you clear etc. Let me know how you get on, or if you need more help
    Thanks Davy, just got your message, will do as you suggested later today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

Hi all,

Recently started getting the following message every time I try to load the camera, "Unexpected error occurred. Please restart the camera. If this does not help, try restarting the phone".

About 10 restarts later here I'm posting on boards... anyone got any ideas???

Thanks in advance,
    doney84

doney84 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Recently started getting the following message every time I try to load the camera, "Unexpected error occurred. Please restart the camera. If this does not help, try restarting the phone".

About 10 restarts later here I'm posting on boards... anyone got any ideas???

Thanks in advance,
    doney84

Have you downloaded any camera updates lately from betalabs or similar?

Are you on Anna or Belle?

Thought I'd give a quick update on my phone, since I revived this thread from the dead in the first place.
    Bought it back to the repair shop and they changed the battery again and charged it for me overnight.
    It lasted 4-5 hours before dying. The battery indicates full charge, up until about 30 minutes before it dies and then the warning beeps start and the battery indicator starts dropping rapidly.
    I did a full factory reset, but it didn't have any effect.
    I generally never get the same phone twice, but I havn't seen anything else out there that has the same features and "feel" as the n8, so I might go down the secondhand route for a replacement.
    If anyone has any recommendations on a new model to replace it, feel free to let me know.

Must be the board so, would be cheaper to get another second hand one than try sort it. You would get one reasonable enough, unless you want to spend a bit extra and go for a 808. I notice you underlined feel, so I get the impression your ruling out the 808?

Have you downloaded any camera updates lately from betalabs or similar?

Are you on Anna or Belle?

Hi Davy,

I haven't downloaded any camera updates lately and the phone is on Belle.

Hi Davy,

I haven't downloaded any camera updates lately and the phone is on Belle.

If its just happening then, its not a great sign. You can try reflashing the software on it, and hope that it sorts it.

If its just happening then, its not a great sign. You can try reflashing the software on it, and hope that it sorts it.

Thanks Davy,

How do I reflash the software & will I lose all data?

Thanks Davy,

How do I reflash the software & will I lose all data?

You can do it via nokia suite, you can backup your contacts etc before but anything that is on the phone will stay like contacts etc but some apps might not work, but a quick download of the store will sort it out. Maybe just take a list to have, and take a backup just in case

Hadn't thought of the 808. Good spot. Are they still available to buy new?

• Advertisement

Hadn't thought of the 808. Good spot. Are they still available to buy new?

Yes plenty of options online, they weren't in stores here to begin with

Advertisement