Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Kingsbridge station - is that the old name for Hueston or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Kingsbridge station - is that the old name for Heuston or something?
    Correct. The station was renamed after Seán Heuston in 1966, a 1916 rebel who once worked in the station's offices, as was the nearby bridge (the one the Luas crosses, originally Kings Bridge, and then named Sarsfield Bridge in 1923 after Patrick Sarsfield).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Another miserable time for my Bray-based friend last night (Sunday).

The 145 is now the only bus from Dublin to Bray. It gets packed at Kingsbridge station on Sunday nights with people (and luggage) coming back from the country who are going to get off in the near south suburbs. That means that people going from the city centre to points between Foxrock and Bray simply cannot get a bus on Sunday nights.

Also, the 145 service late on Friday and Saturday evenings is grossly inadequate and the last one leaves too early.

All very not good enough.

I know the feeling, it is the same with a lot of routes on a Sunday, even the 15s, the 11 for DCU etc. The ex-Airlink AVs with the luggage space and the otherwise unnecessary luggage racks on AV359-AV362 and the ex-746 AV390s in Dbk that have luggage racks should be put out to particular use on Sunday nights. Especially as the VTs are kept in at weekends. The EVs that are on the 145 can't deal with the loads.

If a regular user, the Rambler ticket may be a good investment here. You can the 46A to UCD or the 39A to UCD and catch the empty 145 from there on the same ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Well of course, Kingsbridge is the terminus of the Great Southern Railway, and the place from which one catches one's train to Maryborough, Queenstown and similar boroughs!

I think it is a pity the 1916 man's name was Sean Heuston, because it makes the eponymous station sound embarrassingly like an imitation of London's Euston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Don't feed the troll. Anyone hear anything regarding the 41's? Its been a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Stevek, I hope you are not suggesting that I am a troll? My posting on the 145 is perfectly serious, though I admit my Kingsbridge one is less so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Noel Dempseys Den

Stevek, I hope you are not suggesting that I am a troll? My posting on the 145 is perfectly serious, though I admit my Kingsbridge one is less so.

Tram to Store Street Bus Station, DART from Amiens Street to Bray, sorted. Fugdabus.

Well of course, Kingsbridge is the terminus of the Great Southern Railway, and the place from which one catches one's train to Maryborough, Queenstown and similar boroughs!

I think it is a pity the 1916 man's name was Sean Heuston, because it makes the eponymous station sound embarrassingly like an imitation of London's Euston.
    Why "embarrassingly"? (Because of the Fitzroys?)

Besides, Euston never came to mind, most likely because my family and friends all pronounced the H in Heuston quite strongly, as did any CIE staff I would encounter. The only confusion speaking-wise for me was with Houston in Texas (named after Sam Houston); there is an Amtrak station in that city, formerly of the Southern Pacific Railway.

We have already had some discussion about Irish language on DB destination signs, so it may rub some the wrong way to rename the station "Stáisiún Mhic Aodha" (after Heuston's Irish name). Or "Jack Heuston station" after the man's birth name.

Kingsbridge was the terminus of the Great Southern & Western Railway specifically (the GSR, created by the Free State government, also served Amiens Street after all).

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

There was, at one point in 2001, a printed sign placed on some of the doorways in Busaras (the ones served by routes which went west along the quays) that these services "also stop at Euston Station for pickup only"

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Polar101

dfx- wrote: »
    I know the feeling, it is the same with a lot of routes on a Sunday, even the 15s, the 11 for DCU etc. The ex-Airlink AVs with the luggage space and the otherwise unnecessary luggage racks on AV359-AV362 and the ex-746 AV390s in Dbk that have luggage racks should be put out to particular use on Sunday nights. Especially as the VTs are kept in at weekends. The EVs that are on the 145 can't deal with the loads.

What does that mean? Wrong kind of buses running on Sundays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Polar101 wrote: »

Generally on Sundays they are using standard-size EV type double-decks on the 145, rather than the VT type (three-axle extra long).

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It would appear that after decades of hand-wringing,the last point is being addressed first....;)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pensioners-free-travel-scheme-hit-by-rampant-fraud-3244592.html

1.1m people entitled to a free travel pass is quite frankly bordering on insanity in a country of 4.6m people. Almost 25% of the population given free travel. Madness.

Back on topic; serious capacity issues at peak periods seems to be all ND as brought to the table on the main arterial routes into the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

cson wrote: »
    1.1m people entitled to a free travel pass is quite frankly bordering on insanity in a country of 4.6m people. Almost 25% of the population given free travel. Madness.

Most Free Travel Passes are copied!!! Thats why

Polar101 wrote: »

The EVs that run on the 145 have only the standard luggage space and can get piled 3-4 luggage cases high against the window.

Certain AVs in Conyngham Road, Summerhill (even their RVs) and Donnybrook, whilst being older buses have extra luggage space, an extra luggage rack or two. In Conyngham Rd, they were used on the old 90/91/92 services which don't operate then, so are underemployed. In Donnybrook, they were used on the airport 746 service which no longer operates.

The older VTs in Donnybrook that could be put on the 145/46A or the VTs in Phibsboro that could be put on the 39A are kept in on weekends, especially those in Donnybrook. They could hold an extra 10-15 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Most Free Travel Passes are copied!!! Thats why

Sorry Dublinbusdude,but the 1.1 Million refers to the legitimate one's....the bogies come ON TOP of that total,which incidentally was a situation fully investigated by several of the "Big Names" who carried out a form of "due diligence" assessment before responding to the Colm McCarthy invitation two years ago....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jam08

Waiting on a 29a today in Donaghmeade at around one. RTPI said 7 mins. This then got down as far as 5, and then suddenly went to 55 mins.

Got in touch with DB over Twitter, apparently 55 was right. They just decided to cancel 3 buses in a row, leaving an hour gap.
    Their excuses were (1) no driver, (2) driver had to go back to the garage, and (3) well, they couldn't even say why.

Does this kinda thing usually happen, cancelling three consecutive buses at short notice and leaving hour gaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

jam08 wrote: »
    Waiting on a 29a today in Donaghmeade at around one. RTPI said 7 mins. This then got down as far as 5, and then suddenly went to 55 mins.

Got in touch with DB over Twitter, apparently 55 was right. They just decided to cancel 3 buses in a row, leaving an hour gap.
    Their excuses were (1) no driver, (2) driver had to go back to the garage, and (3) well, they couldn't even say why.

Does this kinda thing usually happen, cancelling three consecutive buses at short notice and leaving hour gaps?[/Quo

Regularly on 13 & 40.peak hour chaos on the 40 westbound again. 30 min gap. Then 2 buses together and a 40 min gap. 5 buses operating between 5-7 pm instead of 10-12. No point complaining any more. Standard reply is theres no drivers. We just have to put up with the level of service they decide to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

13 is ridiculous at rush hour,none for ages then 3 come at once.

How I miss the 51's!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Currently there are 6 40's due on ballyfermot road towards liffey valley in the next 14 mins. Then a 28 min gap then 3 buses in 9 mins. Huge waste of already scarce resourses. After the 6 buses arrive in liffey valley theres a 47 min gap in buses towards finglas so god only knows what happened to the buses after that.

I was around Finglas this evening, scarce 40s, even an RV was parachuted in for the 2110 ex-Finglas service :cool:

13 I got into town was overtaken by the following 13. That happens far too often.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    I was around Finglas this evening, scarce 40s, even an RV was parachuted in for the 2110 ex-Finglas service :cool:

13 I got into town was overtaken by the following 13. That happens far too often.
    Sounds so much like the old CitySwift problem. This time around, it seems to be exacerbated by the route lengths and getting caught in the city centre.

Both buses were operated by Harristown too (AV334 and AX553), so surely there's an opportunity for some communication there.

Last time it happened, both 13s were operated by Conyngham Road (AX519 and AX602) as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Sorry Dublinbusdude,but the 1.1 Million refers to the legitimate one's....the bogies come ON TOP of that total,which incidentally was a situation fully investigated by several of the "Big Names" who carried out a form of "due diligence" assessment before responding to the Colm McCarthy invitation two years ago....;)

There is still copies around - thank god mine is laminated so it cant be copied!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I'm still shaking my head at the ridiculousness of the 84 going to Blackrock...and how the route ends up taking 40 minutes to get from Blackrock to Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

anyone know any updates on the howth road changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭rx8

The drivers on the 29a voted on a new schedule last Thursday, but I don't know what the result was.

Should hear today as I've been off for the weekend.

The new proposals involve extending the route to Baldoyle and also cutting a block of 5 drivers off the rota, which will mean less buses and bigger gaps.

I'm told that the company want the changes in before the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

rx8 wrote: »
    The drivers on the 29a voted on a new schedule last Thursday, but I don't know what the result was.

Should hear today as I've been off for the weekend.

The new proposals involve extending the route to Baldoyle and also cutting a block of 5 drivers off the rota, which will mean less buses and bigger gaps.

I'm told that the company want the changes in before the end of the month.

Are they bundling in the changes to the 42/43 with this or have they gone off the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Last few days I've been waiting for the number 11 bus after work for half an hour and 2 come at once.

And in that space there should have been 3. Seem to vanish whenever they want :/

I've also had buses pass by with 'Out of Service' on them (My stop is one of the very first on the route) which leaves you waiting ages for the next one.

And they DON'T want us putting more cars on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Last few days I've been waiting for the number 11 bus after work for half an hour and 2 come at once.

And in that space there should have been 3. Seem to vanish whenever they want :/

I've also had buses pass by with 'Out of Service' on them (My stop is one of the very first on the route) which leaves you waiting ages for the next one.

And they DON'T want us putting more cars on the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Princess HLS

Taylor365 wrote: »

According to the 11 timetable, it is scheduled to operate every 30 mins off peak and every 15/20 mins in the peak times. Therefore, depending on the time you were waiting on an 11, a 30 min wait is actually valid. There are no instances on the current 11 timetable where 3 buses are scheduled to operate within a 30 minute time frame i.e. every 10 minutes......

Here is the link to the timetable:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/11/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement