Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I've discovered according to the DublinBus Stuff site, that both orbital routes 17 and 17a were planned to be extended to Heuston Station.

Is this has not happened yet as there limited funding to extend them to Heuston?

I also found out that the 76A, 166 & 175 routes were not going to be all day routes.

Can anyone explain why would that be the case?

That's a mixture of two different plans, one from the 1970s and one from last year!

Originally (in the 1970s) the 17 and 17A were to be linked by a third orbital service (17B?) on the western side of the city, but this never happened.

Then, as part of Network Direct, the 17 was to be extended to Heuston (and the 18 to IFSC).

But there were no plans ever to extend the 17A to Heuston.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I suppose there are still plans to extend the 18 to the IFSC though in the near future?

Do you still believe the info on the 76a, 166 & 175 routes about not being an all day route?

Would the 175 been implicated because of what happened to the 75 not being re-routed through Leopardstown Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You make all this sound like earth shattering news.

For goodness sakes the simple reason the 166 and 175 have not happened has been posted here enough times - fall in demand and no funding for the extra buses they would require.

The 76a, 166 and 175 were all going to be all day routes but the 76a was scuppered by the clamour in Ballyfermot to retain an all day link to/from Tallaght. That meant that due to the limited resources available the 76a could only be a limited frequency.

The 75 has not changed because the 175 is not starting - that much should be completely obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

I suppose there are still plans to extend the 18 to the IFSC though in the near future?

Do you still believe the info on the 76a, 166 & 175 routes about not being an all day route?

Would the 175 been implicated because of what happened to the 75 not being re-routed through Leopardstown Road?

I think you are getting a bit mixed up.

The plans were for the introduction of the 166 and 175 and a more frequent all day service on the 76a (that was my reading of that article)

The cuts to the 76a has already happened and from feedback from DB posted here the 175 has been pulled for the moment at least and I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case with the 166.

If the 17 plans for heuston were pulled i wouldnt be surprised if it was the same with the 18 to docklands.

But its hardly breaking news its been common knowledge around here for weeks if not months

Its all about the (lack of) money!

Roll on network direct version 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

I also found out that the 76A, 166 & 175 routes were not going to be all day routes.

Can anyone explain why would that be the case?

This has been explained many times on this very thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the 18 is unrelyable as it is without extending it to anywhere. it will end up an even more bastardised route then the 40.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Only a 26 min wait for the 40 today after 6pm. A step in the right direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Interesting to note with the kids back to school that my route is now operating at it's normal timetable level

Would suggest that dublin bus unofficialy halved their service or the last few months, Wonder if minister leo knows about that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Bambi wrote: »
    Interesting to note with the kids back to school that my route is now operating at it's normal timetable level

Would suggest that dublin bus unofficialy halved their service or the last few months, Wonder if minister leo knows about that :confused:

They probably reinstated the extraworks which get cancelled for the summer months.
    No need to go telling tales to Leo!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

The 40 has been "6 mins" for the last 25 minutes. Great service altogether.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Traffic in the city centre is at a standstill due to the american football parade. Predictive times will not be dependable till it clears up.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Traffic in the city centre is at a standstill due to the american football parade. Predictive times will not be dependable till it clears up.

Is it that hard to have a notification on the board? Instead of saying "6 mins" for nearly half an hour? No that would make too much sense.

Well you should get in touch with the NTA - they manage the signs. Dublin Bus had warnings about this on their website, on twitter and on Facebook.

Well you should get in touch with the NTA - they manage the signs. Dublin Bus had warnings about this on their website, on twitter and on Facebook.

So DB managed to put up warnings on everything but their signs? I'm guessing a simple call to the NTA was impossible?

Dublin Bus have nothing to do with the on street signs - they are entirely the responsibility of the NTA. I suggest you ask them!

Frankly the real issue is who allowed a parade take place in the city centre in rush hour.

Utter madness. It was total gridlock

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

What!! a parade in town this evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

What!! a parade in town this evening?

Was on at 1600 and bit after into st stephens green where taxis are

Ah I see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Dublin Bus have nothing to do with the on street signs - they are entirely the responsibility of the NTA. I suggest you ask them!

Therein lies the problem, too many cooks and all that.

• Advertisement

Were there a lot of bus services delayed around Merrion Square or the surrounding areas this evening?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

^ lxflyer's head is going to explode :D

dfx- wrote: »
    ^ lxflyer's head is going to explode :D

With the parade in town, how many people attended Dublin City to make it go to a standstill?

Is Ixflyer's head going to explode every time when I make a post?

Pretty much when you continually make totally inane posts such as post 5062, yes. Perhaps if you started to read the posts beforehand, and considered them, before making a post such as that post, it would help maintain my own and other's sanity.

It appears that I really need to spell this out in simple language:

1) There was a parade in the city centre associated with the American football game
    2) The people parading were doing so on the street, not on the footpaths
    3) Traffic could not drive around the parade - they had to stop
    4) There were rolling road closures as a result as the parade moved along its route
    5) This took place during the rush hour until almost 1800
    6) Consequently there was total gridlock with large numbers of buses stuck in traffic while the parade continued and shortly after it finished.

Does that adequately explain the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Americans and public transport :rolleyes:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Dublinman - I boarded a 25X at Donnybrook yesterday at about 1735, and had to abandon it and walk in Baggott Street at about 1810 - I walked over to Dawson Street, and after 15 minutes a 66X which had passed me in Donnybrook 5 minutes before the 25X was only reaching the stop I was at.

Took me 1 hour 20 mins from Donnybrook to Fairview.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's also worthwhile pointing out that a Major Traffic Incident occurred in Donnybrook Village yesterday (Thursday) when an Articulated Tractor and Trailer unit suffered an uncontrolled seperation.....:o

This resulted in severe disruption to the general traffic flow when the entire road had to be closed at times to allow recovery crews to get the show back on the road.

It could have been a disaster of serious proportions,but luckily it only resulted in delayed assignations....;)

PS: I'm unsure if the NTA/DCC actually got it onto the RTPI system either.....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Was anyone in the traffic jam heading up Dawson St onto the Green yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Serious question here, would it be difficult for the organisation controlling the rtpi poles to put up a message like "Severe delays to routes x, y, z due to a major traffic incident in Donnybrook"? Would it take long to update poles on affected routes to display a message such as this? I can't see why it would take long, but I'm wondering is there a reason why they don't.

Also, is the RTPI managed from the DCC traffic control centre, if not why not. Surely this would be the most sensible place to manage it from, easy access to up to date traffic information, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Was anyone in the traffic jam heading up Dawson St onto the Green yesterday?

If you were heading up Dawson St to the Green then you should have expected trouble!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement