Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

Thanks for that RX8, with the tight space an C/Tarf allocation can be tricky. Sorry for going off topic, one last questain. Any reason why there was two VG type buses in Clontarf on Wed?

Are you sure they weren't GT's... I know they had at least 1 for driver training purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

No both were 2008 Reg, deffo VG,s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

Dunno, really... could be allocated from another garage, due to the phasing out of the RV. Nobody really tells us too much, as you probably know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

The Sunday/Bank Holiday schedule needs review WRT linking up with other public transport.

Last Monday evening, Heuston station,, Cork (i think) train arrives in. Approx 100 people attempt to get on the waiting 145 (mainly students going to UCD), obviously they don't all fit and the bus departs early.
    Just as the bus leaves, the Waterford train arrives in, approx another 100 waiting with the left over from the last time, 40 minutes wait for another bus which then fills up again, just as another train arrives in! The bus service is completely inadequate when it comes to linking up with trains!!! 2 extra buses over the space of an hour would more than likely hav been filled had they been provided (given that many waiting for the bus decided to get the luas when the wait got too long.)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

I was driving along coast road today and i noticed a few bus stops up by st annes and just coming up to black banks i dont know if they have always been there and just never spotted them but what are they for? theres no route that goes down that part of the coast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There are some early morning buses from Baldoyle via Clontarf Garage that serve that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

rx8 wrote: »
    The new 29A schedule will come into effect on Sunday the 18th. of November. There are still some details being worked out with the 31 / 32 changes, but I expect these to happen on the same date also.

A friend of mine said that she and other people were waiting for the 9:30 32B to town today and that the driver never bothered doing the loop of abbey park i wonder is this some sort of protest by the 32B drivers because they know that because of the changes the route is getting withdrawn

It sounds far more like he simply forgot - people really do read far too much into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

lxflyer wrote: »
    It sounds far more like he simply forgot - people really do read far too much into this.
    Nevertheless, they are being vocal. Squeaky wheels require grease or else they will freeze up. Are not the content the silent ones?

CIE wrote: »
    Nevertheless, they are being vocal. Squeaky wheels require grease or else they will freeze up. Are not the content the silent ones?

The apathetic can be the silent ones too though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Any word on the 41's yet?

catch.23 wrote: »
    The apathetic can be the silent ones too though.
    Most of those are driving cars anyhow.

Most of those are driving cars anyhow.

I thought the content would be the ones driving cars? Thats why they're content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

catch.23 wrote: »

I thought the content would be the ones driving cars? Thats why they're content.

Bus lanes.

thomasj wrote: »
    Bus lanes.
    And fewer buses to populate them. Which means that leaving the car behind is less of an option.

And fewer buses to populate them. Which means that leaving the car behind is less of an option.

True but if everyone adopted that attitude there would be more cars on the road meaning more traffic in that one lane while the bus Lane remains empty!

thomasj wrote: »
    True but if everyone adopted that attitude there would be more cars on the road meaning more traffic in that one lane while the bus Lane remains empty!
    If the status quo results in buses that are jammed to the hilt at first, which induces people to abandon the bus in favour of the car subsequently (i.e. instead of the transport agency restoring services and frequencies that it had cut), it's an "attitude" induced by the government in that case. And on top of that, regulations continue to make it difficult to adopt private operation of bus routes. (I still think a private operator could make a go of it by restoring the route 45 for example, and not infrequent service; and they have to be permitted to operate into the city centre instead of how the 45 in its last days was going no further than Merrion Square.)

Sometimes the GPS equipment on the bus may not be functioning properly, which sounds like what happened here.

Also where a driver change takes place, a bus will vanish briefly from the RTPI when the first driver signs off and the new driver signs on. The system relies on the driver being signed once the bus has started its journey as it accesses the working timetable for the journey that the driver is signed in as from the database to be able to predict journey times.

Lesson being things may not be quite as bad as you may think.

Fair enough it's just annoying when it happens, It happened again tonight no sign of the 39a on the board I asked the driver of the 39 was there one due to which the reply was check the board. 5 minutes on the 39 and the 39a had overtaken us.

Its annoying guessing if the board is wrong or if there are delays to buses.

Howth Road and Malahide Road changes are now on the Dublin Bus website to start on Sunday 18th November.

Routes 29a, 31/a/b, 32/a/b/x, 42 and 43 are affected.

http://dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Changes-to-Routes-29a-31a-32ab-32x-42-and-43-from-Sunday-18th--November/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Wonder why they changed their minds about dropping the "a" off the 29. I thought the 43 would change with the 41's as well.

• Advertisement

Howth Road and Malahide Road changes are now on the Dublin Bus website to start on Sunday 18th November.

Routes 29a, 31/a/b, 32/a/b/x, 42 and 43 are affected.

http://dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Changes-to-Routes-29a-31a-32ab-32x-42-and-43-from-Sunday-18th--November/
    So now they aren't dropping the superfluous alpha suffix from route 29A? It was supposed to become the 29 with this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sweep77

they dont seem to be dropping the "A" just dropping a lot of departures from timetable this was suppose to be an improvement 10 mins peak 15 mins off peak no improvements to 29a

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

are bus drivers not meant to check if bus is empty was rushing today got on 15 not seeing if it went full way or stopped in town so he pulls up at eden then turns off lights and starts driving i didnt know what was happening, as i ran down he said what the ... am i doing and i said i didnt know it was the last stop which he replied its not his fcking job to check the bus or tell people.. he then procced to say well no stop here drive up the quays and over the bridge and lets me off there :O i dont know how these people are employed

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Wonder why they changed their minds about dropping the "a" off the 29. I thought the 43 would change with the 41's as well.

Given the 43 is integrated with the 42 that was not likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Dublinfan wrote: »
    are bus drivers not meant to check if bus is empty was rushing today got on 15 not seeing if it went full way or stopped in town so he pulls up at eden then turns off lights and starts driving i didnt know what was happening, as i ran down he said what the ... am i doing and i said i didnt know it was the last stop which he replied its not his fcking job to check the bus or tell people.. he then procced to say well no stop here drive up the quays and over the bridge and lets me off there :O i dont know how these people are employed

When I'm finishing up and heading back to the garage I won't get out of the cab(for safety reasons)but I will give a holler out on the p.a.

I'd say you might have given the driver a startle!!! Hence the w.t.fxxx reaction but he should have pulled in if it was safe to let you out.

So they're keeping the Coast Road service on the 42 (and why)? as well as not changing the 31B to the 31A, and keeping the Strand Road service as the 31A?

If the 42 is going to keep two branches after all, may as well re-number one of them as the 42A. As well as making the two services alternate during the day instead of a huge block of them running at one time of the day and a huge block running at the other time of day, as per this new timetable. (There also needs to be a distinguishing factor between services that run via Seabury and those via Malahide Road.)

What's the point in retaining the alpha suffix on the 29A when it was going to be dropped at first with the extension to Baldoyle? It's like keeping the alpha suffix on the 46A—there is absolutely no point to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sweep77

all 42s going to portmarnock via seabury this will no longer serve the coast road terminus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

So they're keeping the Coast Road service on the 42 (and why)

They're not. All 42s now run to Sands Hotel.
    as well as not changing the 31B to the 31A, and keeping the Strand Road service as the 31A?

Buses to Strand Road/Shielmartin Road are the 31A. Why would they change the 31B when it's staying as it is?
    If the 42 is going to keep two branches after all, may as well re-number one of them as the 42A. As well as making the two services alternate during the day instead of a huge block of them running at one time of the day and a huge block running at the other time of day, as per this new timetable. (There also needs to be a distinguishing factor between services that run via Seabury and those via Malahide Road.)

I'm not sure what you mean. The 42 no longer operates with two routings, it's now just one route all day. All buses now serve Seabury.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

Now that the Malahide Road changes are out, I'd say it will be the new year when the
    41's get their "makeover".

• Advertisement

KD345 wrote: »
    All 42s now run to Sands Hotel ... I'm not sure what you mean. The 42 no longer operates with two routings, it's now just one route all day. All buses now serve Seabury
    Then why is this timetable listed as the "revised route 42"?
    KD345 wrote: »
    Buses to Strand Road/Shielmartin Road are the 31A. Why would they change the 31B when it's staying as it is?
    Because the plan was not to have it stay as it is. The old 31A was going to go, and the 31B was going to be changed to 31A. Just like the 29A was going to become the 29 when re-routed to Baldoyle. Read this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement