Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

According to the 11 timetable, it is scheduled to operate every 30 mins off peak and every 15/20 mins in the peak times. Therefore, depending on the time you were waiting on an 11, a 30 min wait is actually valid. There are no instances on the current 11 timetable where 3 buses are scheduled to operate within a 30 minute time frame i.e. every 10 minutes......

Here is the link to the timetable:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/11/
    Is 4.30-6 not peak time?

And 4.45,5,and 5.20 on the timetable = 3 buses

Sorry my mistake its 35 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well the farmers' protest caused delays on at least one day this week which would have knock on effects to all cross city services.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

rx8 wrote: »
    The drivers on the 29a voted on a new schedule last Thursday, but I don't know what the result was.

Should hear today as I've been off for the weekend.

The new proposals involve extending the route to Baldoyle and also cutting a block of 5 drivers off the rota, which will mean less buses and bigger gaps.

I'm told that the company want the changes in before the end of the month.

Any update on what the result of the vote was rx8?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I'm still shaking my head at the ridiculousness of the 84 going to Blackrock...and how the route ends up taking 40 minutes to get from Blackrock to Bray.

Wait, it actually took an hour to get from Blackrock to Bray the last three times I got the 13:40 and 14:40 buses. What even?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Currently a 50 min wait on the next westbound 40 from oconnell st. So another taxi home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ironically posting from on board wifi from a 7 that didnt exist on the screens with a ridiculous 33 mins to the next bus, ahhh home...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Ironically posting from on board wifi from a 7 that didnt exist on the screens with a ridiculous 33 mins to the next bus, ahhh home...

Welcome home Cookie_Monster. How was New Zealand?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

The 29A vote was tied at 9-9, so it has to go to arbitration... the company still expect the changes to come in on Sunday November 4th.
    Other changes are still up in the air, (31/32 and 42/43.)A few more weeks probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Why aren't passengers allowed to vote? Oh, I forgot, they are only the customers and just take what they are given.

RX8 isn't posting the full picture in the sense that as I understand it, the plan is for the 29, 31 and 32 services to have integrated departures which should mean a consistent service level between the city and Raheny rather than the present situation where buses on all three routes can depart at the same time from Abbey Street and leave a long gap.

The removal of five drivers sounds like one bus less from the route throughout the day, but without looking at the overall picture of the 29, 31, 32, 42 and 43 it is difficult to see what the effect of this would be.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    RX8 isn't posting the full picture in the sense that as I understand it, the plan is for the 29, 31 and 32 services to have integrated departures which should mean a consistent service level between the city and Raheny rather than the present situation where buses on all three routes can depart at the same time from Abbey Street and leave a long gap.

The removal of five drivers sounds like one bus less from the route throughout the day, but without looking at the overall picture of the 29, 31, 32, 42 and 43 it is difficult to see what the effect of this would be.

5 drivers equals 1 block and means a loss of 2 buses on the route.
    So there will be a worse service and longer gaps.

Tarabuses wrote: »
    Why aren't passengers allowed to vote? Oh, I forgot, they are only the customers and just take what they are given.

There was a consultation period on all of the changes with the public some time back.

What RX8 is talking about are the detailed rosters.

rx8 wrote: »
    5 drivers equals 1 block and means a loss of 4 buses on the route.
    So there will be a worse service and longer gaps.

Surely it is only 2 buses (my mistake with one above) throughout the day when you take into account driver changes?

That is hardly surprising given most other routes have had frequency reductions in line with demand falling.

You are still ignoring the fact that there will be an improvement in terms of a consistent frequency of service along the Howth Road.

Surely it is only 2 buses (my mistake with one above) throughout the day when you take into account driver changes?

That is hardly surprising given most other routes have had frequency reductions in line with demand falling.

You are still ignoring the fact that there will be an improvement in terms of a consistent frequency of service along the Howth Road.

Sorry., yes of course it's 2 buses, corrected post above.
    The frequency along the Howth road may well be a good idea, but may not work as the company intends.
    Here's hoping I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

Was there extra duties put on the 29A in the recent past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Its about time tbh. On the Howth Road, you regularly have a long gap with no buses, followed by 3 or 4 buses turning up in a row.

clunked wrote: »
    Was there extra duties put on the 29A in the recent past?

Not recently no. The timetable hasn't changed for at least five or more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭howiya

MarkMc wrote: »
    Its about time tbh. On the Howth Road, you regularly have a long gap with no buses, followed by 3 or 4 buses turning up in a row.

Certainly something Network Direct hasn't managed to fix on other corridors so don't get your hopes up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

howiya wrote: »

Certainly something Network Direct hasn't managed to fix on other corridors so don't get your hopes up

What can I say, I'm a hopeless optimist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

A2000 wrote: »
    Currently a 50 min wait on the next westbound 40 from oconnell st. So another taxi home.

I arrived on the quays about 10 minutes ago to find the next 39a not due for 25 minutes. 5 minutes later and I was on a 39a heading home!

• Advertisement

Sometimes the GPS equipment on the bus may not be functioning properly, which sounds like what happened here.

Also where a driver change takes place, a bus will vanish briefly from the RTPI when the first driver signs off and the new driver signs on. The system relies on the driver being signed once the bus has started its journey as it accesses the working timetable for the journey that the driver is signed in as from the database to be able to predict journey times.

Lesson being things may not be quite as bad as you may think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sometimes the GPS equipment on the bus may not be functioning properly, which sounds like what happened here.

Doesn't it make you wonder how often this problem occurs. its not the first time this happened with the 39/a late at night

Well with nearly 1,000 buses to maintain there will always be occasional problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I've seen this happen in London too - was waiting for a 319 at Battersea Bridge not long ago, indicated next one was 12 minutes, but one suddenly arrived after 3 mins.

I guess no system of that size and complexity is perfect.

More fun still is the platform displays on the Northern Line (tube).

Due to the complexity of the workings with multiple branches at one end and two "via routes" in the centre, it is sometimes possible to see indicated trains "overtake" each other on the display . . .

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

still no news on howth road changes, beginning to think it wont be happening

Well they ain't happening this weekend - they have to give at least 5 days notice which in practice means a full week.

The new 29A schedule will come into effect on Sunday the 18th. of November. There are still some details being worked out with the 31 / 32 changes, but I expect these to happen on the same date also.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Are the new GT class at Clontarf going to enter service on the current 29A route until then? It makes a change from the 32A getting the newest buses all the time, however with the current bus to route allocation at Clontarf it will be hard to keep the GT,s on the 29A. I know the 104 (fresh air route) will get GT,s as well.

The new GT buses are supposed to be for the 29A and the 104.

Each garage can easily block them from going on other routes by only programming the machines for that particular route. Just like the EV buses in Ringsend won't take any of the 15 or 27/77A routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Thanks for that RX8, with the tight space an C/Tarf allocation can be tricky. Sorry for going off topic, one last questain. Any reason why there was two VG type buses in Clontarf on Wed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement