Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Would I be correct in saying that Dublin Bus are trying to cut a fine line with staff numbers,they do not want them high as come Oct/Nov when there are not as many on annual leave they will have loads of extra drivers with no work for them..?

So its the summer service that suffers.If this is the case its a bit nasty if when people ring up management are putting this down to drivers not turning up for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Dub13 wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying that Dublin Bus are trying to cut a fine line with staff numbers,they do not want them high as come Oct/Nov when there are not as many on annual leave they will have loads of extra drivers with no work for them..?

So its the summer service that suffers.If this is the case its a bit nasty if when people ring up management are putting this down to drivers not turning up for work.

They even cancelled some Euros so them lads could cover the morning gaps in other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This is true, if a driver is not able to come in for a handover especially, then the bus would normally go in "special" or city centre and then head back to the garage but RTPI poles further down along the route at D'Olier St. or College Green would still show those services as still operational and due in whatever minutes.

Also when there diversions in place for protests or parades etc. in the city centre, routes often still show up on RTPI poles in the affected areas. Meaning people stay there in the expectation of a bus that won't show up.

And it is worth pointing out that the General Public have little knowledge that the On-Street RTPI equipment has an input from Dublin City Council.

Whilst Dublin Bus's contact number is well known and publicised,there is no similar number available for the DCC RTPI interface.

Just as with Leapcard,I fear we have taken what should be a simple situation and complicated it unnecessarily. :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The RTPI screens were not showing the fact that the 16 bus had been rerouted as a result of the Grange Road closure the other day. A pity, as I would have thought that would be easy to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

The RTPI screens were not showing the fact that the 16 bus had been rerouted as a result of the Grange Road closure the other day. A pity, as I would have thought that would be easy to implement.

The stop I used last week had the diversion scrolling along the bottom of the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just curious if anyone has noticed if the Grafton Street stop for the 4, 7 and 8 has had the rtpi sign turned on yet. A couple of weeks ago I passed it and there was still no sign of it being turned on yet despite the 11 stop next to it. being fully operational for months. The stop had the rtpi sign installed over six months ago but it seems to have been as dormant as the maynooth line displays before this year! I any progress? I given the cutbacks on the Merrion road corridor, and you would have thought it would be badly needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

whats the deal with the howth road changes? they said they would be running before the school term starts thats two weeks away and no official announcement yet

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

thomasj wrote: »
    Just curious if anyone has noticed if the Grafton Street stop for the 4, 7 and 8 has had the rtpi sign turned on yet. A couple of weeks ago I passed it and there was still no sign of it being turned on yet despite the 11 stop next to it. being fully operational for months. The stop had the rtpi sign installed over six months ago but it seems to have been as dormant as the maynooth line displays before this year! I any progress? I given the cutbacks on the Merrion road corridor, and you would have thought it would be badly needed!

It's finally on. Quite literally in the last week or two, noticed it the other day in passing. Took long enough.

Looks like signs on the Lucan corridor may match or surpass it on the "length of time not turned on" front at some stage.

noelfirl wrote: »

It's finally on. Quite literally in the last week or two, noticed it the other day in passing. Took long enough.

Looks like signs on the Lucan corridor may match or surpass it on the "length of time not turned on" front at some stage.

Cheers!

Theres a few rtpi signs in dublin 15 that might give them a run for their money on that front!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

noelfirl wrote: »

Yes, I saw it last Tuesday. There were quite a few people at the stop and what struck me was that the next bus wasn't due for 14 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Cheers!

Theres a few rtpi signs in dublin 15 that might give them a run for their money on that front!

One inbound at the Square has had its pole for about the last 20 years but no screen. Yet there is one further on in the Village and at the next stop, the Hospital. And the westbound stop across the road is in full operation RTPI wise. Frustrating post match.

Possibly arguable that when it becomes functional, it may soon be out of order..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

dfx- wrote: »
    Cheers!

One inbound at the Square has had its pole for about the last 20 years but no screen. Yet there is one further on in the Village and at the next stop, the Hospital. And the westbound stop across the road is in full operation RTPI wise. Frustrating post match.

Possibly arguable that when it becomes functional, it may soon be out of order

none in liffey valley either.

lxflyer wrote: »
    As per the DB facebook page about a month ago, the 175 is on hold for the significant future due to the current financial situation.

Does this mean that the plans for the 75 route to serve the industrial estate in sandyford has also been pulled

• Registered Users Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 75 is staying as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

It's back working today it was on when put in but went out for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hiya guys,

I discovered that the Network Direct page from DB is only showing phase 2 only of ND.

Are DB planning to halt to implement the remainder of phase 1 or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

as a friend of mine drives the 31 he told the 32s will be affected the most by the new changes with saturday the first one being at 1 and last at 9:eek: he said thats the proposed timetable hoping its dosent happen

Dublinfan wrote: »
    as a friend of mine drives the 31 he told the 32s will be affected the most by the new changes with saturday the first one being at 1 and last at 9:eek: he said thats the proposed timetable hoping its dosent happen

I wouldn't believe that sort of nonsense.

Hiya guys,

I discovered that the Network Direct page from DB is only showing phase 2 only of ND.

Are DB planning to halt to implement the remainder of phase 1 or what?

Phase 1 is long finished - that was the implementation of the changes on the Stillorgan, Blanchardstown and Lucan corridors.

All that is left to be implemented as a result of the network review are the changes to:

Howth Road/Malahide, Swords/North County Dublin, and some orbital/outer city local suburban routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Whatever happened to route 166? It was supposed to go from Tallaght to Liffey Valley via Lucan IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SteM

phasers wrote: »
    Whatever happened to route 166? It was supposed to go from Tallaght to Liffey Valley via Lucan IIRC

And the 175 from tallaght to dun laoghaire?

SteM wrote: »
    And the 175 from tallaght to dun laoghaire?

Both routes have been put on hold.

No funding available to provide the new routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Considering that Metro West was conceived primarily in order to link the western suburbs, surely the 76a warrants an increase in service? Either that, or Metro West significantly underestimated pax...

I don't mean to pull the thread off topic into MW discussion, just that it seems like there's at best only weak public transport links between Tallaght, Clondalkin, Liffey Valley, and Blanch.

Aard wrote: »
    Considering that Metro West was conceived primarily in order to link the western suburbs, surely the 76a warrants an increase in service? Either that, or Metro West significantly underestimated pax...

I don't mean to pull the thread off topic into MW discussion, just that it seems like there's at best only weak public transport links between Tallaght, Clondalkin, Liffey Valley, and Blanch.

The only week link is between Liffey Valley and Blanchardstown. Everywhere else has decent bus connections with the 17A, 75 and 76.

I think my post 5005 above really sums up the problem.

To provide such a service and continue to provide the 76 link to/from Ballyfermot (the withdrawal of which was the main complaint from the consultation process seemingly) would require extra buses/drivers which DB simply can't afford right now.

To me it would also appear that the people who wanted the all day 76a were not vocal enough at the time of the consultations.

It's a pity. What I think could be done is to reroute the 76a via Ballycoolin and the IT before terminating at the shopping centre - it might then have some added value.

lxflyer wrote: »
    To me it would also appear that the people who wanted the all day 76a were not vocal enough at the time of the consultations.

Doesn't it just sum up Irish people that if there's something wrong they'd shout to the rooftops and complain in every shape or form but If its a good proposal they can't be bothered to provide positive feedback.

KD345 wrote: »
    Aard wrote: »

The only week link is between Liffey Valley and Blanchardstown. Everywhere else has decent bus connections with the 17A, 75 and 76.

You can expand that to between tallaght and blanchardstown. Even the 239 is better than the 76a.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

Currently a 58 minute gap on the 40 westbound from oconnell st at peak hour. Last bus 18.02. Next one 19 00.

This is why people in ballyfermot
    would not agree to using the 40 to connect to 76. Currently theres an hours wait to go 8 stops to neilstown rd. Assuming a 76 would have just passed there and theres another on in 30 mins this means the potential is for the passenger to be 1.5 hours travelling and only 8 stops on. Or a 2 hr journey to tallaght. A good call i would say.

I also dont see why the 76 cant serve ballyfermot and continue to blanchardstown. There are a lot of students using this leg of the journey due to rtpi making it more reliable.

The fact that there is no all day service on 76a indicates that there was no demand for it as the old service carried few people after ballyfermot anyway.

The 19.00 has now vanished and next one is 19.18 with another one at same time or a 76 min gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I got the number 4 at around 18.30 in Blackrock this evening. There were a few problems that were caused by the driver.

I was standing at bus stop no. 6334 (Opposite Frascati Shopping Centre), and to my amazement he made a needless mistake by stopping the bus at stop no. 3032 at the junction of Mount Merrion Avenue.

There was a 7 bus behind it and it's driver probably didn't have a clue why he was stopping there in front of him.

My 4 bus driver then pulled out onto the main road and struggled up the road stopping at 2 traffic signals before pulling up to my stop. That lasted for about for up to 1 minute. :mad::mad::mad:

He was then going very slowly to my drop off stop at Rowan Park. But then when he was approaching the stop, he nearly missed it. I had to remind him that I was getting off there, regardless of me pressing the bell before I got off.

The bus code on it was AV216. I think it was an 01 reg bus.

I was only waiting for a total of 15 minutes.

I have no issues from the majority of the drivers on the 4. But there can be a few bad eggs in the company that probably don't have a clue what they are doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement