Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

LaBaguette wrote: »
    I also had my first bottle of O'Hara stout. I won't describe it at length but it was extremely enjoyable. I found it actually better than the bottled Wrasslers. I can't wait to try O'Hara on tap to compare the two, although I'm wondering how the nitro will affect it (it's nitro right ?)

Yeh, O' Haras is on nitro, alot of people around here complain about nitro, but I think O' haras stout on draft is one of the best on offer from an Irish microbrewery, it goes down like milk with a lovely burnt taste, excellant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Yeh, O' Haras is on nitro, alot of people around here complain about nitro, but I think O' haras stout on draft is one of the best on offer from an Irish microbrewery, it goes down like milk with a lovely burnt taste, excellant.
    Can someone please explain this a little further? Nitro (or a nitro/Co2 mix) is used as a substitute for CO2, for some smoother less carbonated keg beers, like stouts. Would that be right? Does the pub choose whether to use Co2 or nitro (e.g. a separate bottled gas) or is it held within the keg? (excuse the ignorance!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I had a BrewDog AB:06 last night in the Brew Dog bar in Edinburgh. It was great, they gave you 190ml for £4 so it was easy to enjoy an 11.2% beer without splashing out €15 for a bottle. Or so I thought as I followed it up with a second and a third glass...

Also had a Chaos Theory from BrewDog. Nice, but I think my taste buds were ruined by the AB:06.

Apparently Nogne O Two Captains is on it's way to Ireland, can't wait for that one!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

These days, all draught beers are served with a mix of nitrogen and CO2, but yes, with stouts the nitrogen proportion is higher.
    Does the pub choose whether to use Co2 or nitro (e.g. a separate bottled gas) or is it held within the keg?
    It depends. Most highly-nitrogenated beers have nitro in the keg, but they're always dispensed with the high-nitro gas mix too. The one odd exception is Trouble Dark Arts. As far as I know it's not nitrogenated at the brewery but Against the Grain serves it with a full on nitro mix. It makes a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BeerNut wrote: »
    The one odd exception is Trouble Dark Arts. As far as I know it's not nitrogenated at the brewery but Against the Grain serves it with a full on nitro mix. It makes a big difference.
    Really? the nitro in it couldn't be as much as the o' haras or your average guinness, I had a pint of the dark arts in ATG last night and it was smooth, not creamy though.

• Advertisement

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    the nitro in it couldn't be as much as the o' haras or your average guinness
    Yeah, like I say, I think it's not nitrogenated at the brewery but is in the dispense, so less nitro overall than stouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm having an anchor porter which is excellent. Mikkeller porter before it was ok but not as good as the anchor.

Also whitewater copperhead is pretty bland. Won't be having it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

LaBaguette wrote: »
    I finally got to drink my Kelpie the other day. It left me quite confused : I wasnt expecting anything that dark. The label reads Ale, but to me it looked like a stout. In keeping with this, it had a lovely chocolatey taste, and a sort of fresher taste that I can only describe as "vegetal". I guess it's the seaweed there, although it was not salty, nor did it taste like actual seaweed. Decent bitterness as well.

All in all, a fine beer - but I can't see anything special here. It's too close to the kind of stout I like to sway my preference.
    had one myself last week. Quite nice, defo tasted like a chocolaty stout alright.
    Bought a few timothy taylor landlord, I really hate it!
    I've been drinking quite a few punk ipa which is my new favourite beer.
    Had a 7.7% st peters brewery russian stout quite nice for a strong stout, didn't taste too strong, drank an old engine oil too and both tasted very similar, won't be drinking either again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Tonight I had a Knockmealdown Porter from 8 degrees which was very tasty, I'll be going back for me with this one. I also had an Amber Ale from Rogue which was alright, and Dead Guy Ale also from Rougue which I thought tasted like a cheap homebrew kit. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭Glebee

Had a few bottles of breweyed blonde tonight. Must try to get my hands on a few bottles of their vanilla amber ale they had at the RDS beer festival.

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    Must try to get my hands on a few bottles of their vanilla amber ale they had at the RDS beer festival.
    Draught only, AFAIK. Currently on at L. Mulligan Grocer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Fullers Bengal Lancer: I really like this beer and think it gets better every time.

I now prefer this over London Pride easily.

Sainsbury Westmorland ale well it's not that nice to be honest.

A little sweet in a toffee way but kinda get a metal taste at the end.

Their IPA is good enough but will stay away from this one in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

A couple of bottles of O Hara's Curim followed by some cans of Smithwicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Picked up some Helvick Gold and O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale in my local O'Briens yesterday.

Helvick Gold - didn't really do it for me. They are definitely trying to do something different here and should be applauded for it, but it had a bit of an after taste that I just didn't like. That said, I mistakenly put it on it's side in the fridge so there was a little sediment in the glass which may not have helped - I have another bottle so will give it another try!

O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale - loved it,nice hoppy taste with a hint of citrus. I'm a fan of Galway Hooker but they didn't have any, so I tried this, really liked it and will definitely be buying it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

KJ wrote: »
    Had a brewdog hops kill last night. It's really good.

I'm getting stuck into my own bottle of it right now. It's a bit like 5am Saint, yeah, but nicer. A lot nicer. Definitely worth a taste, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Glebee wrote: »
    Had a few bottles of breweyed blonde tonight. Must try to get my hands on a few bottles of their vanilla amber ale they had at the RDS beer festival.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Draught only, AFAIK. Currently on at L. Mulligan Grocer.
    Had a pint of it in Mulligans on Friday. Just as beautiful as I remembered it to be.
    They have it listed on their dessert menu as one of the "Beer as Dessert" options, which is a nice touch but it's not that sweet, but I suppose the vanilla element goes well as a dessert.

I also had a pint of Dungarvan's Challenger on Cask which was amazing. I'd tried a taster of it at the beer festival and don't remember it being that nice, it was at the latter end of the night though, so maybe my judgement was somewhat clouded.
    It probably goes against all the rules of serving Cask Beer but Mulligans seemed to serve it a lot more chilled than you'd normally get a Cask beer, which suits me better. The warmer temperature is something I'm not really a fan of with Cask beers.
    Sarky wrote: »
    I'm getting stuck into my own bottle of it right now. It's a bit like 5am Saint, yeah, but nicer. A lot nicer. Definitely worth a taste, folks.
    Had a bottle of it last night and thought it was fantastic. It's billed as a beefed up 5am so I thought it was going to be much more aggressive beer, but it wasn't. It was much smoother and complex than it's baby brother, and the alcohol wasn't too prominent. Great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnbyno1

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can purchase Stella Artois in a Bottle or Can?

Thanks

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnbyno1

Sorry, I meant Stella Artois Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Appalachian Brewing's Scotch Ale. Only okay, but I have a feeling my beer fridge went mad and froze and thawed it on me. I might have to give it another go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

291984_263899260320027_187104814666139_751895_349347296_n.jpg

Posting this here. The food and wine society in Maynooth are getting the Trouble Brewing lads out this Wednesday for a chat and some sampling. Anyone on here living round Maynooth is welcome to attend. There'll be a small cover charge to pay for samples.

WychCraft blonde ale. To me a very average beer. Nothing too strong.

A few years ago I loved this but my palette has change in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Dunnes St. Brenard lager in cans. Surprisingly alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Nögno ö on tap... Norwegian craft ale. Man it was good...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

4 cans of bavaria in the dark with no tv or people. renevating the
    house so dust everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

fatboypee wrote: »
    Nögno ö on tap... Norwegian craft ale. Man it was good...

Not in Ireland I take it ? And how much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Golden Champion and a few Beer Lao

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Having my first pint of Erdinger Dunkel. It's lovely! I usually drink Miller and wouldn't be keen on Stella Artois as it has a gas-ier taste or something but this stuff is lovely. Have a Kristal in the fridge too, can't wait to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Finally got round to trying both of Sierra Nevada's Harvest offerings. The Northern Harvest has a real earthy bite to the usual piny hops of an APA, whereas the Southern Harvest has the tropical fruitiness associated with NZ hops. Top notch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

mars bar wrote: »
    Having my first pint of Erdinger Dunkel. It's lovely! I usually drink Miller and wouldn't be keen on Stella Artois as it has a gas-ier taste or something but this stuff is lovely. Have a Kristal in the fridge too, can't wait to try it.

The Erdinger crystal is quite nice too but it's on the side of Stella Artois than the Dunkel is. I prefer the taste of Dunkel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement