Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Des wrote: »
    I was browsing in the local off licence last week, the one in Finglas Village, can't remember the name of it, anyway, I came across six bottles of Trashy Blonde from Brew Dog which were out of date by about a week.

I said it to one of the lads there, and the look of shock on his face, he was genuinely startled that there'd be OOD stock on the shelf.

Anyway, they were priced at something like 2.50 per bottle (330ml) and I asked him if he'd do a deal on them, and the manager said half price, so I stuck them in my basket, along with some Fuller's ESB - when I took them to the till, he did them for a euro a bottle, so fair play to him.

the shocking thing was, both the assistant lad and the manager of the off licence were giving me all kinds of weird looks and even going so far as to comment on my health and safety, and I was assuming the risk, and they weren't responsible if something happened to me from drinking OOD beer.

The rest of the Brew Dog range was just about to go OOD too, must head back in and get me some more.
    molloys?
    Do they have a good selection there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

sitting down to a McChouffe
    (large bottle)

2 for €8.. yummmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

adamski8 wrote: »
    molloys?
    Do they have a good selection there?

Yeah, if you go into the shop and go around the far side of the fridgey-shelf thing in the middle, there's a decent enough selection there. It's not amazing, but I've picked up a few good beers in there over the years. Look for some OOD stuff ;)

It wouldn't be the first place I'd go for beer in the area (Sweeney's down in Glasnevin is a better shop, and they would be pretty knowledgeable in there too, and they have a great selection), but if passing and I feel like a beer, I go in. It's not very convenient parking wise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Having a Chimay White for the first time, and it really is an incredible beer, even if a little too carbonated for my liking, one of the best I've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Had a pint of Crean's in Farringtons last week, it was truely shocking, terrible terrible stuff. Bar man said lots of people drinking it and liking it. Had an 8 Degrees Knockmedown porter instead, not bad, made better with the fact I got a slice of cake with it! It was lovely cake too! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ronano

maisel's weisse original

i just picked it on an off chance and damn if i don't love it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Two tipples I had this week include the much vaunted Hook Norton, 12 Days. While it isn't a bad beer, I expected a warmer, more robust and a less bittersweet beer than it actually is. That said, it's still very drinkable and best served with food, possibly poultry.

Tonight I have the paws on a rare one, Baden's State beer, Rothaus Brau. It may be only a pilsner but this one is good, smooth and it has a delicate yet fresh taste going for it. Get it if you can, it's a hidden gem and easy to see why it has it's cult following.

tannenzapf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a veritable feast of beers last night (some shared;)):

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to start - lovely beer.
    Goose Island Harvest Ale - very nice copper, hoppy American.
    Anchor Liberty Ale - lovely complex pale ale.
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot 2011 Barley Wine style - a bit harsh, think it needs time in the bottle.

bit of a break and a glass of Headless Dog to cleanse the palette. This beer is a bit short and disappointing on keg but lovely on cask from what I remember.

Schneider Tap X - pretty much like a stronger Schneiderweiss Original, not very hoppy, good, disappointing but such a lovely bottle
    Viven Flemish Imperial IPA - really good, balanced, strong IPA
    Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest - nothing wrong with this beer at all, quality but didn't stand out amongst the others.
    Goose Island Christmas Ale - lovely, light but flavoursome, darkish ale - must get me some more of them:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Tuesday- 8 Degrees' Knockmea' Down Porter

(Excellent. Porters don't get much mainstream love, but this, along with Sierre Nevada's Porter, would probably open a lot of people's eyes if they tried it)

Wednesday- Middleton pot still tasting evening in the Merrion.

(A grain and pot still distillate straight from the distillery to start... Cut with water and very informative as way of informing yourself about the finished products you tasted next. Sounds pompous but true nonetheless. Off the top of my head there was a 20 year old from a sherry butt, 20 year old from a bourbon cask (both destined for Middleton very rare I guess), Redbreast 15, Redbreast Cask Strength (bloody humdinger of a drink... Amazing), Powers John's Lane and finally and most amazing the Middleton Barry Crockett. Oh ... also a humble Green Spot in there... Nice, apple and grass zest.)

Tonight- A bottle of Wrasslers XXXX. I'd nearly forgotten, with all the other stouts out there these days, that this was the one which turned me on to how super an old-school stout recipe could really be. I love Dungarvan Black Rock and Leann Folainn as much as the next man, but this is real 'first wave' excellence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I was browsing in the local off licence last week, the one in Finglas Village, can't remember the name of it, anyway, I came across six bottles of Trashy Blonde from Brew Dog which were out of date by about a week.

I said it to one of the lads there, and the look of shock on his face, he was genuinely startled that there'd be OOD stock on the shelf.

Anyway, they were priced at something like 2.50 per bottle (330ml) and I asked him if he'd do a deal on them, and the manager said half price, so I stuck them in my basket, along with some Fuller's ESB - when I took them to the till, he did them for a euro a bottle, so fair play to him.

the shocking thing was, both the assistant lad and the manager of the off licence were giving me all kinds of weird looks and even going so far as to comment on my health and safety, and I was assuming the risk, and they weren't responsible if something happened to me from drinking OOD beer.

The rest of the Brew Dog range was just about to go OOD too, must head back in and get me some more.

Keep an eye on Monteiths stock in offies too, they are always fierce close to their OOD dates when delivered, like, withing 2 months most of the time and it doesn't shift all that quick in some places.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

(Excellent. Porters don't get much mainstream love, but this, along with Sierre Nevada's Porter, would probably open a lot of people's eyes if they tried it)

Anchor Porter is also excelent.

My personal favourites though are Edmund Fitzgerald Porter by Great Lakes Brewing Co (Ohio). and Black Butte Porter by Deschutes Brewery (Oregon).

Unluckly I've never seen the Fitzgerald in Ireland but it might be available.

I know for a fact that Black Butte can not be gotten outside of the US at the moment. Which is a crying shame, they (Deschutes) can only reach a small market in the US at the minute because they don't have the capacity to meat demand (much like Dog Fish Head) but are in the process right now of building a new brewery which should enable them to reach every US state by the end of next year and there might even start exporting to Europe, hopefully (Ditto Dogfish Head).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Been about a year since I last had some, so I bought a few bottles of Fullers ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thwaites Old Dan poured a lovely amber colour almost didn't want to drink it.

Very sweet caramel smell and also taste with a malty finish.

You could also get a hint of the 7.2% alcohol hit. I think this beer would be better if I left it for a year or 2 as might not be as sweet then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A little spoiled tonight, started with a Brouwerij De Molen Amarillo. Really lovely beer. Not as sweet or syrupy as your typical DIPA and hides the strength really well. So much so, that I didn't realize it was a 9.2% monster (couldn't find the alcohol volume on the label). Followed up with a Nøgne Ø Imperial IPA (worth every penny ;)). Should'a done a little more research, and I would've realized they are a very similar style of beer, however, it's my favourite type of beer, so hoppy days. The Nøgne has the sweetness and the syrupy consistency that the Amarillo doesn't. Now for something a little less....10%...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Leffe - its my happy place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just finished another bottle of "Duché de Longueville". Made from actual apples (and not the concentrated sh|te that some cider is made from) and thus it's good to the last drop :D Got it in O'Briens a week or two ago. Label has been changed, but the drink has not.

75cl at 4.5% @ a fiver a bottle, it's not bad value. The French make odd cider, but some of it tastes damn good!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

A bottle of Harviestoun Old Engine Oil last night.

Stellar reputation, this one - seen it variously described as a dark beer, a porter and an imperial russian stout. Pours beautifully and a lovely coffee head that hangs around.

I'm not *quite* sure why this left me a little unmoved in taste terms. Slightly watery mouth feel, strangely? Maybe it just compares unfavourably to some of the Irish dry stouts I've been drinking lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Was up in Belfast for the night. In The Garrick & the John Hewitt pub (great spot)

Had a Belfast Ale first and then a Clotworthy Dobbin and a McGrath's Irish Red.

Picked up a few Whitewater bottles in Sainsburys on the way home too.

The Christmas stash is coming along nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Had a pint of Carrig Lager in the Palace the other night. It wasn't bad, but had a subtle aftertaste that didn't really grab me. Kind of reminded me of Disprin. :confused: Enjoyed it, but was glad to return my attention to the Hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Had some Lech, which is always acceptable I find, followed by a leftover grolsch that im saving the swing top bottles up for a home brew shortly. Also had a carlsberg which is pure swill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

BeerNut wrote: »
    both the assistant lad and the manager of the off licence were giving me all kinds of weird looks and even going so far as to comment on my health and safety, and I was assuming the risk, and they weren't responsible if something happened to me from drinking OOD beer.
    :rolleyes: Isn't it heartwarming to see two seasoned professionals so expertly knowledgeable about their products.

Did they have a world beers section including all those pale ales that come from India as well?

I dunno, very strong beers can last, but I've had a fair few bottles of ~5% weissbier that were out of date or just about to go out of date that poured completely flat and tasted wrong. I didn't drink them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Weissbeers don't age well because the yeast and wheat malt tend to drop out of suspension giving them a different taste profile. A good shake can revitalise them, but it can also make them go off like Mt. Vesuvius when you open them. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

that poured completely flat and tasted wrong.
    And that's the worst that can happen. Apart from the alcohol, what could possibly be in there that might be dangerous to your health?

And that's the worst that can happen. Apart from the alcohol, what could possibly be in there that might be dangerous to your health?

he didn't say they were dangerous to his health!

The impression I got was he didn't drink them because they tasted off, which is fairly acceptable imo.

he didn't say they were dangerous to his health!
    Oh, I interpreted the "I dunno" as "Maybe the staff in Des's offy who thought there might be a health issue with OOD beer had a point".

Sorry if I picked you up wrong, Johnny.

Tried Wrasslers from the bottle yesterday and enjoyed it. Much prefer it on tap but liked the roasted malty taste that I thought was stronger than before.

Must pop into the Porterhouse this weekend and try it again to see if there is much of a differenece.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Tried Wrasslers from the bottle yesterday and enjoyed it. Much prefer it on tap but liked the roasted malty taste that I thought was stronger than before.

Must pop into the Porterhouse this weekend and try it again to see if there is much of a differenece.
    There's a big difference, I think. Bottled Celebration is closer to the taste of draught Wrassler's, IMO.

It was my Birthday on Saturday, and the mrs got me a small selection of beers.

Hugh Fearnly whittingham, River Cottage man - Nettle Beer
    Brains Dark
    Something bottle conditioned and Whisky Cask with the word "Smugglers" in the name
    a box set of three "Christmas Beers" called "Bad Elf 4.5%" - "Very Bad Elf 7.5%" and "Seriously Bad Elf 9%"
    and one other I can't remember

They were bought in an off licence called Probus, which I've not seen mentioned before around here.

There's a big difference, I think. Bottled Celebration is closer to the taste of draught Wrassler's, IMO.

I bought a bottle of Celebration too to try during the week so looking forward to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

It was my Birthday on Saturday, and the mrs got me a small selection of beers.

Hugh Fearnly whittingham, River Cottage man - Nettle Beer
    Brains Dark
    Something bottle conditioned and Whisky Cask with the word "Smugglers" in the name
    a box set of three "Christmas Beers" called "Bad Elf 4.5%" - "Very Bad Elf 7.5%" and "Seriously Bad Elf 9%"
    and one other I can't remember

They were bought in an off licence called Probus, which I've not seen mentioned before around here.

Where did you get the nettle beer from? I didn't realise he bottled beer.

I ordered some stuff from BrewDog today:
    BrewDog Christmas Porter x2
    BrewDog Old World Russian Imperial Stout x2
    De Dolle Oerbier
    Mikkeller Sur Munk
    BrewDog Bitch Please
    BrewDogThere is no Santa! x6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement