Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Really enjoyed a few bottles of this stuff this week, got it in Whelans off-licence on Wexford St. The same week I win the presentation cased bottle of Smithwicks Pale Ale in the facebook competition. I think it's Pale Ale week at my house.The Titan stuff is strong in algae-hol and really hoppy, I loved it.Sorry if it's been reviewed here before, I'm a relatice noob. But I likes me ales. May have to pop out and get some now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dead Guy Ale on tap in the Bull and Castle. Nice hoppy and a slightly spicy beer. One of had another only Fullers Organic Honey Dew was also on tap so moved on.

This is a beer I just don't get maybe it's the sweetness but it's just not my thing. The honey was much stronger tasting than the bottled version so thank god I only went for half.

Picked up a nice little booklet too. Got talking to Jeff/Geoff (spelling?)in there and it was a delight as he out geeked me about beer which was great.

Beernut also well done on the book guide on Irish beers too. Jeff/Geoff mentioned you as his co author.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Finally got around to trying a bottle of College Green Brewery's 'Headless Dog'

For a Pale Ale that uses Cascade Hops it's pretty boring. No aroma, and no real flavour. I suppose it'd work well as a session ale, in that you'd certainly down a few, but that says more about it's blandness than it's drinkability.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

tyskie this week,its nice but couldn't drink more than 2 or bottles at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Budweiser 15 wuid for 20 bottles in Centra. Might head to Dunnes or Tesco tomorrow and see what they have over their.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

1 x bottle of Galway Hooker. I still can't get into this from the bottle. It feels slightly flat, with a less pleasant aftertaste than the draft version (one of my favourites).

2 x 8 Degrees Sunburned Ale. Excellent, probably prefer this to the Howling Gale Pale Ale.

2 x Goose Island Pennant Ale. Biscuity goodness.

Deveney's in Dundrum have already ordered the new bottled special edition seasonal offering from Dungarvan Brewing. I believe it's a coffee oatmeal stout - I know it's been floated around before but I've not had the chance to try it yet ... Excited.

Helvick Gold with a nice Sunday dinner. Can't go wrong.

Thornbridge Jaipur IPA. Really nice grassy hops aroma, and it tastes like a lemon sherbet sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm currently in Oz and haven't had anything really spectacular yet. You have a good choice of good beers in bottle shops but nothing has really stood out yet.

The best have been a Murray's 2IPA and Byron Bay Dark Lager. Apparently Murrays do a very good Grand Cru which is a Belgian style trippel but they were out of it when I was at the brewery.

Anyone any good suggestions on what to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yesterday, really enjoyed a Founders Centennial IPA. Had the bitterness of a Stone IPA. Lovely beer.

Tonight: a six-pack of Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA ($11). Americans just don't know how good they have it. Also had an Abbey Ale 'Lost and Found', which didn't really warrant its $8 price tag and a Lagunitas IPA (what can I say, I like IPA!) that tasted very ordinary after two bottles of 60 minute IPA.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Yesterday I had Hue Beer; a rereshing Vietnamese lager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Picked up 5 bottles of Paulaner Oktoberfest in Tesco for €10. Lovely stuff.

Also had a bottle of Flying Dog Raging Bitch Saturday night. Lovely beer but at 8.3% it nearly blew my head off :D

Also had a Sierra Nevada Summerfest which was nice and refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Last night I had a Rogue Oatmeal Stout and an 8 Degree Sunburnt Red.

Both were quite delicious, the red especially is quite different from other Irish red ales with it's fresh, distinct flavour, setting it apart from many others. It's something the style needs at the moment. Nice one 8 Degree Brewing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RonMexico wrote: »
    Also had a bottle of Flying Dog Raging Bitch Saturday night. Lovely beer but at 8.3% it nearly blew my head off :D
    For your own sake, don't ever touch wine: there's even more alcohol in a glass of that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

BeerNut wrote: »
    For your own sake, don't ever touch wine: there's even more alcohol in a glass of that stuff.

LOL! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

BeerNut wrote: »

I was drinking other beer too. It was just after "that" bottle that it hit me. Smartarse:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

First time to try Anchor Porter, and was not disappointed. It has a nice touch of initial sweetness before the classic porter bitterness. It also had a lovely creamy texture to it. A very drinkable example of the style, and IMO very approachable for people who wouldn't normally be porter drinkers.

Yeah, Anchor Porter was a sleeper hit for me.. Bought it and forgot about it, and when I finally got around to trying it I realised it was one of the best porters I've ever had.

Heading into the Porter House tonight to have a few Metalman pale ale on cask....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Had my first ever beer flight/beer bat yesterday afternoon (US 5oz servings). What a wonderful way to enjoy beer, particularly with a bit of company over lunch. Anyway, for this particular outing we had:
    3 Floyds Alpha King - A wonderful fruity hoppy beer. Similar in style to Sam Adams, but far nicer
    Bell's Two Hearted Ale - A surprise favourite of the four beers, very fruity. Wonderful stuff
    Delerium Tremens - Have greatly enjoyed this in bottles before, but was looking forward to trying it on draught, and it didn't disappoint. The high alcohol content is very subtle, and the whole beer is just wonderfully balanced.
    Fat Tire - Have had this a few times and find it to be an enjoyable but un-exciting beer. It was only on the list as the rest of the beers were of the Bud/Miller/Guinness/Harp variety. But thankfully this was the OH'es favourite, so I got to enjoy more of the other beers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Was in supervalue raheny and saw cans of beamish with no nitro widget, regular beamish, gonna see what that tastes like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had some friends around last night so shared some nice beers:

Duvel Tripel Hop 2010 to start.

Wine with dinner.
    Port with dessert.

Goose Island Fleur.
    Rochefort 10
    Nøgne Ø #100
    Brewdog Tokyo*

The Duvel TH was the only new one to me. It's very nice but not worth the premium price - I think I'd take regular Duvel at a third of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sunday night I had some of Welsh Celt Brewery's Bleddyn IPA. This golden ale is surprisingly light, fruity and smooth and is very very drinkable. In spite of this, it is tasty and comes with a hoppy sharpness that doesn't leave any sharp aftertaste. All in all, it's definitely one I will return to and it was restored my faith in IPA's once more.

4490219042_261c95cb7b.jpg

Dropped into L.Mulligans tonight had 2 pints of Dungarvans Challenger. Lovely session beer and glad I had a 2nd chance at this so went well with my dinner.

Moved on to a Metalman which is a great hoppy beer which served me well till I got desert.

Had Brew eyed Vanilla beer for finishing up and glad I did. Didn't seem as strong the RDS version but stll lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Against the grain tonight :)

had
    Howling Gale on draft (good, prefer it in bottle)
    5am Saint on draft (draft or bottle, never disappoints!)
    Trouble Brewing Dark Arts (Had it once before, its nice, but when Im getting a stout/porter I want burnt/roasted flavour, it dosnt deliver on that, good easy drinking)
    O Haras Stout (great on draft, I always regret not getting it from the start)
    Shared a large (610mls I think) bottle of Great Divide's Fresh Hop Ale, had a bottle a couple of months ago and loved it, great malty nose, and grapefruit and grassy hops, great beer. (€15 a bottle though, better off getting it from drinkstore for half that)

Sunday night I had some of Welsh Celt Brewery's Bleddyn IPA. This golden ale is surprisingly light, fruity and smooth and is very very drinkable. In spite of this, it is tasty and comes with a hoppy sharpness that doesn't leave any sharp aftertaste. All in all, it's definitely one I will return to and it was restored my faith in IPA's once more.

4490219042_261c95cb7b.jpg

Love the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Had a brewdog hops kill last night. It's really good.

KJ wrote: »
    Had a brewdog hops kill last night. It's really good.

Have a bottle of it in the fridge waiting for me to try. It's being described as an Imperial 5am Saint.....which can only be a good thing!

Tried a pint of Smithwicks pale ale on Tuesday night. It's certainly something I would drink if I were in a pub and there was only mass market lagers as an alternative, but ... It's not great - something gnarly about the aftertaste somehow?

Then went to the Porterhouse in Temple Bar and proceeded to make a fair dent in the cask of Metalman pale ale. Lovely stuff.

Joesph Holt Maplemoon : A nice enough ale slightly malty a little hoppy and a hint of maple in the aftertaste.
    Not the best beer ever but not offensive either and going down well with a O'Hara stout chillli I made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

I finally got to drink my Kelpie the other day. It left me quite confused : I wasnt expecting anything that dark. The label reads Ale, but to me it looked like a stout. In keeping with this, it had a lovely chocolatey taste, and a sort of fresher taste that I can only describe as "vegetal". I guess it's the seaweed there, although it was not salty, nor did it taste like actual seaweed. Decent bitterness as well.

All in all, a fine beer - but I can't see anything special here. It's too close to the kind of stout I like to sway my preference.

I also had my first bottle of O'Hara stout. I won't describe it at length but it was extremely enjoyable. I found it actually better than the bottled Wrasslers. I can't wait to try O'Hara on tap to compare the two, although I'm wondering how the nitro will affect it (it's nitro right ?)

And speaking of ATG, I found myself thirsty and not far from there, so I went in and chanced the 5am. I'd tried the bottled Punk before, and enjoyed it; the 5am was even better. I don't recall the flavors I've tasted, but it was rich, hoppy and delicious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement