Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

blueshed wrote: »
    would this be in Donegal or Maynooth.

i asked the wine well in Dunboyne to get the Dungarvan range for me and within a week they had all 3.

In the Wine Cellar in Maynooth. It'll be a while before Donegal gets nice beer I think.

Popped back in today and they have Trouble Brewing in as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a Victory Golden Monkey last night.
    I was not very impressed:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why so? I've had my eye on a bottle of it in Deveneys for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Something to watch out for.

Christ that's depressing! Might explain why I am getting insane hangovers.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why so? I've had my eye on a bottle of it in Deveneys for a while.

Just found it very sweet and pretty uninteresting.
    Like a not so nice Duvel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

Is there much of a difference between normal O'Hara's stout and O'Haras leann folainn?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes, Leann Folláin is nearly 2% ABV stronger and is much heavier and sweet rather than dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Glebee wrote: »
    Is there much of a difference between normal O'Hara's stout and O'Haras leann folainn?

Yes, there's quite a taste difference. Leann Folainn is much more rich and deep and heavy. You probably wouldn't want to drink them all night. It is an insanely beautiful drink though. The normal stout is lighter but also very tasty. If you are only buying 4 bottles I'd get two of each.

Weird question, but does anyone know where I can get O'Haras in Beijing? I've e-mailed O'Haras through their website but they ignore my e-mails, which isn't great... so I'm hoping by some freak luck one of you knows where I can get it.

I've e-mailed O'Haras through their website but they ignore my e-mails, which isn't great
    If you can, try them on Facebook. It looks like questions do get answered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Just back from Baggot st. I went there just to buy two bottles of wine, and went home loaded with beer. Among which :

- Kelpie. I have a weird fascination for beer with bits of sea in it, ever since I tried the godawful Mor Braz, brewed using sea water.
    -Headless Hog. I've never had anything from up north, can't wait to taste it !
    - 5 am. saint. I've seen the name coming up quite often, usually with very good comments. I was unaware, however, that it was made by BrewDog. I really enjoyed the Punk IPA, and I'm quite partial to their marketing style, so I had to pick a bottle :p

As well as the usual PH bottles - Red, Hop Head and Celebration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Christ that's depressing! Might explain why I am getting insane hangovers.
    I believe that you can usually taste the difference, so if you notice a distinctive difference in taste, best to air on the side of caution. Unfortunately all of the popular spirits are targets for fakes as well, e.g. Smirnoff, Baileys, JD, etc.

Sadly, if they can fake eggs, beer/spirits doesn't pose much of an issue. Find a reputable seller (like that local shop you mentioned) and keep buying from the same place. Perhaps tip them occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

It is truly awful. Don't let it put you off Victory, though, most of their beers are gorgeous. I just picked up a case of their Moonglow Weizenbock for the office beer swap earlier. Have not tried it yet, but looking forward to it.

I have a theory that Golden Monkey is the crap that is left over when they brew the good beers. The Golden Monkey removal is what makes the other beers taste so great.

Had a beerswap at lunch, with quite a few seasonals:

Southampton Secret Ale (aka Altbier)
    Troeg's Dreamweaver
    Victory Moonglow Weizenbock (mine)
    Appalachian Scottish Ale
    Long Trail Harvest Brown Ale
    North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Russian Stout
    Flying Fish Oktoberfish
    Magic Hat Fall: Hex
    Spaten Oktoberfest
    Flying Dog Dogtoberfest

Gandhi wrote: »
    It is truly awful. Don't let it put you off Victory, though, most of their beers are gorgeous. I just picked up a case of their Moonglow Weizenbock for the office beer swap earlier. Have not tried it yet, but looking forward to it.

I have a theory that Golden Monkey is the crap that is left over when they brew the good beers. The Golden Monkey removal is what makes the other beers taste so great.

Ah, it's not just me, so.
    I've liked other Victory beers, alright.

Last night had Mikkeller Porter.
    This is how I like my stout/porter and it further confirms my assertion that the terms stout and porter are used interchangeably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

LaBaguette wrote: »

- Kelpie. I have a weird fascination for beer with bits of sea in it, ever since I tried the godawful Mor Braz, brewed using sea water.

Tried Kelpie before, it's very good, nice coffee/chocolate taste like a stout. No salty or iodine taste off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thornbridge Jaipur. Really is a great IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

photo.JPG

To Arthur...Well nearly.

Have not tried O'Haras stout before and have to say nothing wrong with it all all.

Rogue Dead Guy Ale
    and
    Rogue Juniper Pale Ale.

Good beers - the Dead Guy is a pretty straight up American pale ale - likeable.
    The juniper is very subtly spiced with juniper - I wouldn't have minded a bit more evidence of the juniper but a very drinkable beer all the same.

Victory Moonglow Weizenbock. Pretty subtle fruitiness / spiciness though still a bit too much for my delicate tastebuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Having a couple of Harviestoun's Bitter and Twisted blond beer tonight.
    Love this stuff!

• Advertisement

Magic Hat Hex Ourtoberfest. Bit weak on flavor but not bad overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

i had so many diffrent beers last night at the ireland craft beerfest in the rds. the highlites were white gpsy oak aged stout very unusuall 7.5% abv and a very easyly drank metalman windjammer cask ale. shame i cant make it to any of the rest of the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Had a few Nogne O's delivered to the house last week along with some other choice selections. It was my first time trying the Nogne brews and I had heard a lot about them but when I tasted the 100 batch barley wine I was a little let down. Don't get me wrong-it was really nice but it wasn't on a par with any of the decent American barley wine style ales.

However, last night I had the Nogne IPA and it blew me away. Beautiful it was and reaffirmed my love for craft beers. Possibly the best IPA I've ever had not counting double/imperial IPA's.

I'll be purchasing a few more of these for posterity.

On a side note, I also tasted the Victory Hops Wallop last week. Very nice as well. It's all in the hops and I love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

My order from drinkstore arrived, last night I had

Rogue Amber Ale - Very drinkable amber, almost red beer, with a nice amount of hops.

Rogue Mocha Porter - Very nice, strong taste of chocolate malt, slight burnt taste, would have preferred it in a 500ml bottle ;).

Trouble Brewing Or Bottle - Had a pint of this ages ago in the porterhouse, remembered it as a straight up golden ale, it was still the same, nice but nothing amazing.

Thornbridge Wild Swan White Golden Pale Ale. - Not too impressed with this one, poured a funny pale colour, tasted like very little, didnt have much to offer, very disappointed.

Roll on the rds this sunday!

Rogue hazelnut brown nectar last night.
    It just didn't quite work for me - I struggled to finish the bottle to be honest.
    If you love Frangelico and brown ale, then it's for you.;)
    I quite like both but not together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm rather enjoying a pint of Metalman Alternator in the Bierhaus in Cork right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Krombacher Pilsner

Erdinger Heffe

Forst Italian Beer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Flying Dog Dogtoberfest Marzen. The least-caramelly marzen I've tried (which I like). Good beer but awful name. The worst of their dog-related-pun-based names.

• Advertisement

Gandhi wrote: »
    The worst of their dog-related-pun-based names.
    Miles better than "Raging Bitch", IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement