Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

BeerNut wrote: »
    Miles better than "Raging Bitch", IMO.

"Raging Bitch" and "Doggy Style" are my favorites of their names. "Snake Dog" and "In-Heat Wheat" my favorites of their beers.

http://www.joesixpack.net/columnArchives/2011/072811.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

had brewdogs 5am and punk IPA last night, quite nice to have just one bottle of each, distinctive flavors that i feel that having more would ruin the enjoyment.
    had 5am quite a few times now and its growing on me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Having a bottle of Brouwerij De Molen - Op & Top.
    I really don't know what to make of it. Overwhelming taste is the slightly bitter chalky aftertaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Flying Dog - Old Scratch...it's their Amber Lager and is extremely nice and easy to drink.

Also tried quite a few variations of Sam Adams last night, with the pumpkin beer probably being the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rogue Mocha Porter - I liked this a lot - followed by a Headless Dog.
    I had forgotten how much I like Headless Dog - seriously good beer.

• Advertisement

Anderson Valley Brewing Co. - Hop Ottin' IPA

Beautiful example on an American IPA. Lovely caramel sweetness rather than all out sugary sweetness that you get with a lot of versions of this style, as well as the piney citrusy hop notes.

Second beer I've tried from Anderson Valley and I've been very impressed both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Rogue Mocha Porter - I liked this a lot - followed by a Headless Dog.
    I had forgotten how much I like Headless Dog - seriously good beer.

Just had a Mocha Porter myself, a seriously good beer from a seriously good brewer. I love the fresh grounded coffee-mocha earthiness, gets me every time.

I'm also drinking the Rogue American Amber ale, not as good as the porter but a worthy brew. Quite sweet - caramel, forest fruits, light nuts, not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Eramen wrote: »
    Just had a Mocha Porter myself, a seriously good beer from a seriously good brewer. I love the fresh grounded coffee-mocha earthiness, gets me every time.

I'm also drinking the Rogue American Amber ale, not as good as the porter but a worthy brew. Quite sweet - caramel, forest fruits, light nuts, not bad at all.

Had a few from the rogue brewery myself lately, the mocha porter is lovely, had the shakespeare oatmeal stout, 7 quid for a 710 ml bottle, bit steep, but worth trying, very smooth and a nice burnt flavour in there. Wasn't overwhelmed by the american amber, but a good beer, would certainly drink a 6 pack, I also have a bottle of the juniper pale ale which will be interesting to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Picked up a few beers earlier today

Goose Island IPA x 2
    Sierran Nevada Torpedo x 2
    8 Degrees Irish Red
    8 Degrees Howlin Ale
    5am Saint
    Breweyed Blond

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Nøgne-Ø pale and india pale ale from O'Briens.

I have heard so much about this brewery, and yet I still dithered over the 6.25 and 6.75 euro price (could be out by a few cents but it's thereabouts).

I've paid upwards of 10 euro for a bottle of anniversary beer before, or for a large bottle of belgian, but something in me rebelled at forking out that much for .5l bottles. I guess you could also make the argument that, if you measured it by volume to price ratio alone (even factoring in alcohol content) then we pay a fair bit for the likes of 330ml Brewdog offerings.

Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard... At any rate.

I had the pale ale last night and I must admit I was a little dissapointed. I think I 'get' what they have done with this, and the india pale ale which I am drinking as I type this, but I can't help but feel like the use of pacific coast hops is a bit redundant - why wouldn't I just drink any one of a number of American offerings?

These are very good beers, no doubt (I far prefer the india pale ale btw). But I don't think I will be buying a pair of them versus, for example, twice the number of O'Hara's, for the same money. Not for an American style ale made in Scandinavia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Does anyone know if you can still get Harp Lager in Ireland?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes, you can. Supermarkets for one, but some bars have it on draught too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IVIada

Tyskie or Tuborg, depending if I'm going to be playing beer pong or not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Yes, you can. Supermarkets for one, but some bars have it on draught too.

Thanks. Myself and a friend were talking about it last night and I got a tasting for it but didn't have a clue where to get it. If I manage to find it I'll be drinking that this weekend, if not I'll be getting some bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

was in Manchester and picked up a few btls to bring home.got some

Moorhouses- Pendle witch brew
    Jennings - Cumberland ale and Sneck lifter.

must have had 10 different pts of ale in a number of pubs around the Oxford rd area with my favourite pub being Lass o Gowries.they had a few pts at £2.

blueshed wrote: »
    Lass o Gowrie
    Weird pub, in a nice way.

"You know what this wall needs? An Amiga, an Atari ST and a bunch of Spectrums."

lasscomputers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

"You know what this wall needs? An Amiga, an Atari ST and a bunch of Spectrums."

What no ZX81 ????
    WTF

Probably got nicked :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The opposite end of the spectrum is where the publican says

"You know this wall and ceiling needs more carpet" It's closed down now but it was in Rathcormac Co Cork. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Had the extreme pleasure of imbibing a bottle of Hogs Back OTT (available in Nenagh :)) the other evening. http://www.hogsback.co.uk/our-beers/

Taken alongside Morland / Greene King's Old Crafty Hen and the obligatory Fullers ESB.

Must admit, I would have happily traded the other two for two bottles of OTT!
    Was extremely impressed with this brew and am headin' back for more tonight..

• Advertisement

fatboypee wrote: »
    Had the extreme pleasure of imbibing a bottle of Hogs Back OTT
    I had a few of theirs recently. Rip Snorter is another cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I had a few of theirs recently. Rip Snorter is another cracker.

Was actually surprised to see pretty much the whole range in the Off Licence in Nenagh. Was in a mood for heavy hitters so each of my choices was gonna be +6% abv :) so shied away from the others. Will check out Rip Snorter. Did you try OTT ? In my view it's akin to King Goblin but actually the lower gas levels make it more palatable and I found myself badly in 'need' of another one...

Wonder what the cask pins are like, have friends coming over for Christmas :)..

fatboypee wrote: »
    Did you try OTT ?
    Yes. Very nice.

Had 4 from the Hogs range recently, Hop Garden Gold, BSAm Gardeners Tipple, & OTT. Wasn't overly impressed by any of them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Do people drink O'haras Irish pale ale for pleasure.I would gladly drink o'Haras stout for the rest of my life but the local offy had none tonight,tried the pale ale instead:eek::eek::eek::eek:2.99 for the displeasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

theparish wrote: »
    Do people drink O'haras Irish pale ale for pleasure.I would gladly drink o'Haras stout for the rest of my life but the local offy had none tonight,tried the pale ale instead:eek::eek::eek::eek:2.99 for the displeasure.

A fine beer, its for people who like a strongish, hoppy flavour to their ales, not for people who like the bland taste of lager for example.

I would gladly drink o'Haras stout for the rest of my life but the local offy had none tonight
    It's an odd trade if you were after a stout.

"I went to the Yamaha shop for a motorbike but they were out so I bought a piano." :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

If you havnt had a pale ale before, you mightn't have enjoyed it, in a month or 2 you'll be in the offo, it'll catch your eye and you'll try it again, probably with different results

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Playoff_Beard

Tried a few different ones recently:

8 Degrees Sunburnt: Heard good things but didn't enjoy it. Just not my thing I guess.

Breweyed Blonde: Less of a distinctive taste but I definitely preferred this.. but don't think it'll become a regular thing.

Lowenbrau Oktoberfest: Used to like this.. but now it tasted cheap and sickly.

Goose Island IPA: Ok this is clearly my thing. My favourite by quite a margin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Keo - Cypriot lager
    Mythos - Greek lager
    Mongoose - British created "Indian" lager, deliberate rival to Cobra

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement