Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Smiley G wrote: »
    wrassler in a bottle is lovely:)
    BTW Porterhouse Templebar is celebrating their 15th year anniversary this Friday 27th May!... not sure whats happening but will pop down to see if anything special is going on and to enjoy some of the new IPA bottles they have in stock at present.... also sierra navada torpedo, double IPA, 7.2% on tap!

Yeh I was hoping they would have torpedo in PH central, but they only had the stinkin' Pale Ale psssh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Had a pint of Guinness mid strength yesterday ... Just to try it. I didn't realise it was available again (or did it ever go since it's release? Haven't seemed to see it around).

Bizarrely I quite enjoyed it, against my expectations. The mouth feel and texture were actually very satisfying, very creamy.

It's obviously as different from something like Wrasslers or Lean Folainn as day is from night, with none of the rich flavours or alcoholic warming aftertaste...

...But the point is, did I enjoy it? Well- I did.

Considering how far Guinness has strayed from its roots at this point I guess this extra jump doesn't even bother me that much. I can see a place for mid strength (for me at least). There are times in the early evening where I might up wanting to have a pint but don't really fancy that slight head buzz that I get with even one regular pint (I'm a lightweight). To me a mid strength offering serves the same role as the low strength small beers you found in the UK in times past, or are still sold everywhere (and at all times) in the likes of Sweden.

Walkin through M + S today and saw their beer selection so thought Id pick 3 for myself seeing as Ive to be up for an exam in the morning (:confused:)
    They are pricey enough and I wasnt into getting 6 of them.
    Poured the cheshire chocolate porter there 10 mins ago, Im now over the shock of it being red, I was sure they had labeled the bottle wrong.
    Its ok, Im disappointed its not the rich, dark foamy beer I was expecting. Im not really into breaking down the aroma and taste and all that but it does smell like vanilla, and tastes the same
    I have the Cornish IPA and Southwold winter IPA to go, may leave it til tomorrow though.
    For the price I think you'd be far better off ordering off the drinkstore or goin down the Lilac or Martins!

Berty wrote: »
    Hobgoblin. Not overly impressed.
    Their Kinggoblin is well worth a go, really enjoyed that one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Been drinking a few Jupiler beers tonight seeing as the bar has run out of all draught beers.

It's just ok nothing special compared to other Belgian beers usually available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just picked up a few new ones to try; Vital Spark ale from Fyne Ales, Midnight Sun from Williams Bros and OTT by Hogs Back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Had four bottles of Postman's Knock from the Hobson's brewery last night. First impression was of it being a cheap and watery version of Londonpride but come the first bottle it had me on a different level completely. It's softly hopped and with hints of chocolate through it, it's definitely going to be on my shopping list again.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hobson's brewery
    One of the English breweries that doesn't make a bad beer, IMO.

Kasteel Cru(very good) and Blue Moon(not so good) tonight. There's also a can of Warka in the fridge which I have not tried yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

BeerNut wrote: »
    One of the English breweries that doesn't make a bad beer, IMO.

I also got their Old Henry and am looking forward to it; I am a fan of malty ales

• Advertisement

I also got their Old Henry
    Get yourself a nice pie to go with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    Get yourself a nice pie to go with that :)
    What's the craic with the glass that you poured the Darwin's Origin into?

Yep. Read them after I posted

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

kombacher dark tonight,if I recover from last night :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Got some Clotworthy Dobbin among others in the Celtic Whiskey Shop today.
    Oh and they're selling Legbiter for €1 a bottle. It's slightly out of date, hence the low price.

Thornbridge Ashford ale on cask. Cellar temp. Quite nice strong malt taste hint of caramel.
    Say it be nicer in autumn weather as too warm to drink this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm currently traveling (backpacking) around the world and am nearly finished my first country, which is Brazil.

Below are lagers as that's what you get here but there are some good ones.

Bohemia - Very nice. I'd probably count this up there with Czech lagers like Staropramen

Nova Schin / Brahma - Both Decent if unspectacular. Brahma is not quite as nice as Nova Schin

Skol / Antarctica - Both ok and about the same. They have a slightly bitter aftertaste which can be nice when the beer is really cold on a hot day.

I was also at the Amazon Beer brewery in Belem and sampled all but their Weiss beer. The Amazon River beer had a nice light hoppy taste and was their best and the red was decent too. The Bacuri beer was interesting but not to my liking.

Keo beer from Cyprus. Reminded me if some beers you get when on holiday.

Tiny bit sweet and lightly carbonated and a hint of hops which surprised me.
    Got it in a Greek restaurant but can safely say I won't be rushing back to this anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Had me some O Haras IPA last night. Superb. My new go to Irish Beer, it replaces Galway Hooker as my number 1.

• Advertisement

Cotleigh Nutcracker on cask, a mild ale with a hint of nuts and malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Just finished my first bottle of Theakstons Old Peculiar.

Very impressed. Its pure quality, lovely chocolatey/spicy aroma. Very smooth, perfect amount of fizziness. Lovely taste & after taste of malt+wheat+toffee+slight smokey sort of hint.

Translation = Yum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

schneider-weisse-tap-7-unser-original_1.jpg

Had a bottle of this today and thought it was lovely, really creamy velvety feel. Definitely get a bottle if you're a fan of the original.

Also had a Wells Banana Bread beer a few nights ago. Picked up the last/only bottle available in the Wine Cellar Maynooth. Never seen it there (or anywhere) before but thought it was quite a nice novelty. Probably wouldn't pick it up everytime but thought it had a very nice toffee taste with not too much banana.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Had a couple of drinks at the Bull & Castle yesterday, first time in a while. This remains a cracking pub, and obviously a great supporter of craft beers in Ireland.

I had a pint of Helvic Gold from the cask (Dungarvan brewing company) and my girlfriend had a half. First time I've had anything from them on cask - very tasty. Still a touch of sediment at the bottom of the glass and perhaps a touch darker than the bottled offering I've had, or maybe it was my imagination.

Round two for me was a pint of Metalman Windjammer from the cask. Billed as an American style amber ale I thought this was really nice - definitely worth tracking down before it's gone. I gather there are some Nelson Sauvin hops in there ... I have a bottle of Brewdog's nelson sauvin single hopped beer at home... Be interesting to compare the two.

My gf had a half of Rebel ale too - their pilsner style. Quite pleasant straw-coloured offering.

We sat outside the front, in their small beergarden (three or four benches looking at Christchurch). Interestingly they have to have a sign up to stop people coming over from Leo Burdock's and eating their fish and chips on the benches. Clearly this is quite reasonable - it's not like you'd expect to be able to bring your Indian takeaway into a restaurant next door and plonk down and eat it. So I was quite surprised when a couple eating their fish and chips, when asked to move, launched an absolute tirade of abuse at the bartender who had come out. He stayed very cool with them in the face of abuse about everything from his wage, his 'karma' (?!) and his facial hair. Guess some people have no manners. Funnily enough the couple throwing the abuse were quite well-heeled, my girlfriend commented that the girl was wearing jeans that are a couple of hundred euros a pair. Guess you really can't buy class.

irish_goat wrote: »
    schneider-weisse-tap-7-unser-original_1.jpg

Had a bottle of this today and thought it was lovely, really creamy velvety feel. Definitely get a bottle if you're a fan of the original.

Picked up a bottle each of Tap 4 & Tap 6 the other day. I've only tried the Tap 4 but I was quite impressed.

Just finished my first bottle of Theakstons Old Peculiar.

Very impressed. Its pure quality, lovely chocolatey/spicy aroma. Very smooth, perfect amount of fizziness. Lovely taste & after taste of malt+wheat+toffee+slight smokey sort of hint.

Translation = Yum.

Just had a bottle myself , really good and your summary picks up all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dark Star Hophead, cask.
    Very light but very tasty all the same - a real summer quencher.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Had a pint of Belfast Blonde in Hollands of Bray. Great to see a craft beer on tap in one of the more traditional style pubs (though they do have a decent selection of beers in their adjoining off-licence). Couldn't see their O'Hara's stout tap though, so perhaps they only have one craft beer at a time. Still, really enjoyed the pint. It would make a lovely session beer.

Had a bottle of Meantime London Lager last night. A beer that promises so much but just doesn't cut the mustard. The mouthfeel and carbonation are there with a tiny amount of flavour, but I just kept expecting more flavour.

Also had a bottle of Hilden Cathedral Quarter. Did not like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Havin' a bottle of Tyskie now, never had it before. I quite like it :).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement