Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Smiley G

flas wrote: »
    last 2 times i was in porter house, on nassau street they had no galway hooker!? anybody know why this is? headin down to roscommon to a communion for the weekend so at least il be able to get it in jj's but was disappointed couldnt get it last two times! is it seasonal or something? im not really an expert, just like it!

also tasted belfast blonde in porterhouse north, which is local, does anybody know if this is seasonl, it was just after their beer festival i had it, so was wondering if they have it the whole time or in dribs and drabs?! thanks!

Galway hooker is always available in porterhouse on parliament st, more so than the other ones. They usually have some regular guest beers on tap and one cask beer.
    Belfast blond is normally only in bottle in porterhouse north but was on tap for the festival.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

last 2 times i was in porter house, on nassau street they had no galway hooker!? anybody know why this is?
    Poor stock management, I guess. Has certainly happened to me a few times in that branch. You can always nip up the street to O'Neill's -- there's always Hooker in the tap there.
    also tasted belfast blonde in porterhouse north, which is local, does anybody know if this is seasonl, it was just after their beer festival i had it, so was wondering if they have it the whole time or in dribs and drabs?! thanks!
    I'd say that was festival leftovers in North. Down in Stoneybatter L. Mulligan Grocer have it permanently (I think). On the southside The Exchequer, Against the Grain and (natch) O'Neill's have it as permanent fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Had myself a Tangle Foot from Badger last night.

Crisp, Spicy. Very fragrant.

Win Win!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Got myself a Hobgoblin and a Kinggoblin from The Wychwood

Also got Odells 90 shilling ale wich Im really looking forward to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jmkell

Galway hooker is available in the bull and castle....my office is around the corner!! i think from mondaay-wednesday its only €4 a pint!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Handed in my last assignment for college, I think it's time to celebrate a little. I'm thinking a pint or two of Metalman amber ale. Lovely stuff.

A few bottles of Svytury's Baltas for me tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yesterday I went on a tasting spree !!

Fullers Bengal Lancer: I don't know what it is with the Fullers beer buy you know straight away it one of theirs.
    Different to London pride more sweet and hoppy bit not overpowering.

I liked it maybe even better than the London pride which I really like.

Metalman this is my 3rd time tasting it and got to say it's a really good ale. I don't know what I could compare it to. Even the better half was drinking this saying she thought it better than Galway Hooker !!!!

Gem by Bath ales, lovely bitter had it in cask a few months ago so was worried the bottled version wouldn't live up to it.

Well didn't disappoint me at all, lovely malt flavours running through this and great copper coloured ale.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I don't know what it is with the Fullers beer buy you know straight away it one of theirs.
    I've noticed this in blind tastings. I'd say it's their yeast strain that's distinctive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Great Divide Hibernation Ale. Nice beer but wrong time of year to be having it. Definitely a winter beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA on draught in the Porterhouse Templebar.

Powerful stuff, and great to see it on draught!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I only saw the Lidl catalogue this afternoon and saw that they had Spitfire and Bishop's Finger on special offer at €1.49 a bottle.
    Called into the local Lidl on the way home and they only had the Double Stout and Rudolph's Reward left in stock.
    Picked up a few of them. Yum yum!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Heroditas wrote: »
    I only saw the Lidl catalogue this afternoon and saw that they had Spitfire and Bishop's Finger on special offer at €1.49 a bottle.
    Called into the local Lidl on the way home and they only had the Double Stout and Rudolph's Reward left in stock.
    Picked up a few of them. Yum yum!!! :)
    Weren't all the Shepard Neame beers €1.50 in lidl for months? Now it's a special offer :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mo14 wrote: »
    Weren't all the Shepard Neame beers €1.50 in lidl for months? Now it's a special offer :confused:

Weird one. Lots of traders complaining about the fact Lidl could sell it at that. Bulk buying is the only answer and now the stocks/pallets have run dry. :confused:

Personally this weekend:

Asahi 300mls
    Krombacher 500mls
    Erdinger Urweiess 500mls
    + 1 Shepherd Neame Goldings

2 weeks - case of Samuel Adams I hope! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Mo14 wrote: »

No idea. I hadn't been shopping in Lidl for a month or two and it's been even longer since I had a look at their alcohol section so it seems like a special offer to me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Just finished a bottle of Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier Dunkel. Absolutely beautiful beer.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7iS7R7AV59w/Ta-ZxSz_qLI/AAAAAAAAWt0/R2nLrmNl4xE/s1600/dun2.bmp mmmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 aong

First time poster here...

just polished off an O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale, its fast becoming my default beer, probably because one can usually pick it up in a '4 for €10' in the offie.

Sierra Nevada IPA before that, always good but pricey for the smaller bottle size.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

had a few good ones this week...

Black mac - nice new zealand dark lager - abbots ale
    raging bitch - dogfish head amber savage - bierhaus
    schneider weisse tap 7 - forgot how good it was - abbots
    titan ipa - great divide brewing?? - bierhaus

also picked up the duvel tripel hop 2010 (only made every 4 years) and the weihenstephaner infinium (sam adams collaboration) in the abbots offie both 20e each so saving them for some kind of occasion...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Theakston Old Peculiar, which they are now selling in Dunnes Stores.
    Very nice. Packed with flavour.

• Advertisement

Old Tom ale a nice fruit an spicy flavours and on a damp day like this is going down well.

Sainsburys Taste The Difference IPA
    It's not too bad for a supermarket beer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Finally tried a bottle of O'Hara's Leann Folainn.

Really stonkingly good stout, very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Im having a Sierra Nevada Glissade. Not very impressive compared to other Sierra Nevada beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Had Blackrock stout and Dark Arts porter in Against The Grain last night, thought Dark Arts was much nicer. Blackrock was a bit soapy and had a thinner mouthfeel. As usual in places that don't only sell the usual rubbish, when a few Irish people came in one of the guys asked for Guinness, when the barman said there was none but suggested the two above or O' Hara's stout instead, your man thought for a second and ordered a wheat beer! Pathetic how small minded some Guinness drinkers are when it comes to alternatives. On a positive note the place was very busy when I was there from 7 - 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

KJ wrote: »
    Im having a Sierra Nevada Glissade. Not very impressive compared to other Sierra Nevada beers.

Maybe because its a lager?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Speaking of 'Against the grain', any word on a location for their second bar in Dublin? There was a story in the media about this a few weeks back and a bartender confirmed that it was on the cards - but said no site picked out yet.

On an O'Hara's kick at the moment, been drinking the regular stout and had a bottle of Cuirim last night for the first time in years - not really my cup of tea anymore, funny how your taste changes over time (I used to really like it during college).

Also convinced by a blog post on Deveney's beer blog to try a bottle of Erdinger Urweiss. Palatable enough, although not really my thing either. I read a tasting note somewhere that mentioned cardboard taste and a banana nose, and I just couldn't get that out of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Im currently having a Svyturys Ekstra Draught.

I had the M&S Cheshire Chocolate Porter the other night. It was really delicious. Not as sweet as other chocolate alcoholic drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Had a bottle of Fyne Ales Jarl last night.
    A single hopped light ale, using Citra.

Lovely light ale, with a nice thirst quenching hoppiness, and only 3.8%.

This would be perfect for a sunny day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I noticed today that super value have kombacher dark beer,has anyone tryed this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement