Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

London pride it is a lovely one yum

Having some of the brew dog range tonight
    starting with the 77 then on to 5 am nom nom
    Have a trolley load going for a euro each there out of date soon and cant bear to see them wasted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I got one of these today along with loads of other stuff but Im really looking forward to trying these. Haven't had any of them before.

http://www.drinkstore.ie/SIX-EXCLUSIVE-BELGIAN-ALES-GIF-5411663006134/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Having some of the brew dog range tonight
    starting with the 77 then on to 5 am nom nom
    Have a trolley load going for a euro each there out of date soon and cant bear to see them wasted :D
    Picked up 2 of each earlier. I'd tried a lot of their range before but couldn't remember which ones I liked so at €1 each it's an inexpensive way to rekindle my memory. :)

Also have a bottle of their Dogma to try. Anybody tried it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Have a Samuel Adams Boston Lager

&

Porterhouse Down 'n' Outz 100% Proof Genuine Rock 'n' Roll Vol 1

Some people like pictures, some don't.

49e8e031.jpgea6937c7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Enjoying a Ruddles County ale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Also have a bottle of their Dogma to try. Anybody tried it before?
    Yeah. I loved it, but it's a bit of a marmite beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah. I loved it, but it's a bit of a marmite beer.

I see they've changed the name. Any other reason apart from the obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hmmm Porterhouse down n outz is not to my liking. Far too malty for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I see they've changed the name. Any other reason apart from the obvious?
    Once they started selling it through a supermarket there was a request for a name change, and you don't say no to supermarkets.
    Beer Baron wrote: »
    Hmmm Porterhouse down n outz is not to my liking. Far too malty for me.
    You won't like Hersbrucker either, then: they're the same beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Currently drinking a bottle of Adnams Southwold Bitter.

Meh. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Black Diamond Jagged Edge IPA
    Loved it, definatly going back for more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Just finished a bottle of O'Sheas irish ale. Out of 10 i'd give it a 5.

I found it really rather average. Its quite bland, nothing special in smell or taste. I wanted it to be better as its Irish but in all honesty i won't be getting it again.

Nowhere near as nice as the likes of other ales like Old Peculier or london pride.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Last night dropped by Hollands of Bray, and enjoyed some draught Brewdog 5am Saint, Curim, Belfast Blonde. They also have Paulander and O'Haras stout on draught.

The 5am Saint was wonderful. The first pint I had was just after a restaurant meal and it was quite heavy (I would have been better off with something a little lighter). Followed up with a Curim that hit the mark. Then a Belfast Blonde, that was just a little sweet after the Curim, and finally back to the 5am Saint. Smells fantastic and packs such a huge flavour punch. Not a session beer (sweet and heavy) but such a wonderful beer to savour. Hollands, I will be back for more!

Good to see that they are now advertising their craft beers on a blackboard outside the pub, but unfortunately inside the pub there doesn't seem to be that many people partaking of the non-standard beers. Hopefully this picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

I had a couple of different ones at the weekend.

On Friday I had Chimay Red Label after reading some good things about it here, and it didnt disappoint. Very nice beer, and totally lived up to what I had read about it.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, maybe it was after the fruity sweetness of the Chimay but I just didnt enjoy this one as much as I have previously.

Finished off with some bottles of Brooklyn Lager which as always were tasty and didnt disappoint.

Saturday, picked up a couple more Chimay and on a second tasting they were just as good as the night before.

Tried a couple of the Sierra Nevada range as they were on special at 4 for 10 euro. Have had the torpedo before and liked it, but again I didnt enjoy it as much this time around as previously.

Two bottles of the pale ale, quite nice and my favourite of the three that were on offer.

Finished with a bottle of Glissade which I didnt really enjoy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

VW 1 wrote: »
    I had a couple of different ones at the weekend.

On Friday I had Chimay Red Label after reading some good things about it here, and it didnt disappoint. Very nice beer, and totally lived up to what I had read about it.

Chimay Blue is even nicer, bit of a kick off it though which you might not realise as you're drinking it:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dahtac

Monthly trip to Holland's in Bray netted me this little stash for the month (along with a whole pile of brewdog for my birthday at the weekend)

5835277169_0cbb144fac_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Jaysus.. you got dogfish head? We have been dry of dogfish head for a while now. I wonder is that old stock or did they manage to find a supplier that can actually get it again?

I think it's the last of what they had lying around. First time trying it so I'm not too sure on the specifics. I remember Jay saying something to the effect of it being the last chance I may have to try it

EDIT: Just looked at the bottle, Late 2009 and 2010 for the bottling dates

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hollands only seems to have the flavoured dogfish head beers left the last time I was there (Festina peach and the Palo Santo) which I wasn't a massive fan of. I love that Hop Wallop. A beautiful hoppy beer, with a bit of a kick to it.

By the way, the nearby Cheers Off-license in Shankill sells 5x brew-dog beers for €10, and carries a range of other brew-dog beers too. And don't forget to pop inside Hollands pub for a pint of Brew Dog 5am Saint. Top notch!

The pint of 5am Saint was done yesterday alright. Such a big beer for a pint glass but I do love it so.

I picked up 12 bottles of Trashy for Friday, a bunch for me and samplers for friends to get the conversion started :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭texasgal

Fire Rock Pale Ale from Kona Brewing Co. Hawaii

Bitterness: 35 IBU
    Alcohol by Volume: 5.9%
    Original Gravity: 14.0 P
    Malts: PALE, WHEAT, MUNICH, HONEY
    Hops: GALENA, CASCADE, MT.HOOD

Köstritzer Schwarzbier really good dark lager.

Dont try these too often so nice when I get the chance.

Got a slight coffee hint of it and a bit of malt.

Rothaus Marzen Export : A nice enough beer maybe even a slight bit sweet but nothing too offensive.
    Drinkable but lack a hop kick I thought might be there.

Rothaus pils : Preferred this over the export as it had the kick I was looking for. Malty and hoppy but in good balance.
    Would have liked another but sadly only bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Rothaus Marzen Export : A nice enough beer maybe even a slight bit sweet but nothing too offensive.
    Drinkable but lack a hop kick I thought might be there.

Rothaus pils : Preferred this over the export as it had the kick I was looking for. Malty and hoppy but in good balance.
    Would have liked another but sadly only bought one.

The Rothaus weizen is a lovely drink enjoyed a few last weekend, will look into trying the pils

ntlbell wrote: »
    The Rothaus weizen is a lovely drink enjoyed a few last weekend, will look into trying the pils

I like pils type beers so if you do also I am sure you will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

A lovely weiss beer tasting night for me last night! I'd tried them all seperately before but wanted to see which one was my favourite when properly tasting them.

The beers I lined up were:

1. Maisels Weiss Original (Decent, but not mind blowing)
    2. Schneider Weiss Tap 7 (Mmm!)
    3. Erdinger Urweiss (Very nice. A lot better than the regular version)
    4. Weihenstephan Hefeweiss (By far the best of the lot! Absolutely beautiful)
    5. Paulaner (Okay, but after the Weihenstephan & the Schneider it's not really in the same league for me)

Overall it was a pretty decent night of beers!! Weihenstephan was different class though. The Schneider was a close second and the Erdinger Urweiss was pleasantly surprising. The others were very nice too and I wouldn't turn my nose up at them, but given the choice it'd be the Weihenstephan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    A lovely weiss beer tasting night for me last night! I'd tried them all seperately before but wanted to see which one was my favourite when properly tasting them.

The beers I lined up were:

1. Maisels Weiss Original (Decent, but not mind blowing)
    2. Schneider Weiss Tap 7 (Mmm!)
    3. Erdinger Urweiss (Very nice. A lot better than the regular version)
    4. Weihenstephan Hefeweiss (By far the best of the lot! Absolutely beautiful)
    5. Paulaner (Okay, but after the Weihenstephan & the Schneider it's not really in the same league for me)

Overall it was a pretty decent night of beers!! Weihenstephan was different class though. The Schneider was a close second and the Erdinger Urweiss was pleasantly surprising. The others were very nice too and I wouldn't turn my nose up at them, but given the choice it'd be the Weihenstephan for me.

Weihenstephan dunkel or?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

ntlbell wrote: »
    Weihenstephan dunkel or?

I was drinking the Hefeweiss this time, just to compare directly against the other weiss beers. I have had the dunkel a few times though and it's very, very good as well. Quite difficult to get though. Of all of the Weihenstephan beers that I've tried the "Vitus" weizenbock is probably my favourite. Unbelievably nice beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Köstritzer Schwarzbier really good dark lager.

Dont try these too often so nice when I get the chance.

Got a slight coffee hint of it and a bit of malt.

I'm always on the lookout for this one. Where have you seen it?

• Advertisement

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I'm always on the lookout for this one. Where have you seen it?

Drinkstore on Manor st. Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement