Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

slayerking wrote: »
    Which Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary brew is it?

I had Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary - Fritz And Ken's Ale (an Imperial stout) last weekend, was top notch. Really nice.

It's this one here
    http://www.drinkstore.ie/SIERRA-NEVADA-30TH-ANNIVERSARY-BREWERS-RESERVE-GRAND-CRU-750ML-0837836750231/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just tucking into an O'Dell's Cut Throat Porter after a ridiculously long and tiring day. Ah bliss. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

KJ wrote: »

This is what I thought of but as you can see, being the end of a militant style session of tasting meant I got no serious notes down. It was lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

KJ wrote: »

Ah yes, sounds amazing.... and still in stock in Drinkstore. :)

Let us know how it goes down...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Im almost finished the bottle. Its really really good. It tastes strong but then the hops balance it out. Tastes like a nicer version of their Celebration ale.

The JD Silver Select is in my top 3 whiskeys right now. Its so smooth. The other 2 in the top 3 are Redbreast and one I had in a champagne bar in Leeds which I cant remember the name of so that doesnt help anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Had a bottle of Chimay Blue last night that I had sitting in my press for 17 months(I wrote the date of purchase on it).
    Twas ok I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

tonight i'll be sampling this. (and its best before is next week.. got it for €1 a bottle:) )

Got to try tactical nuclear penguin in the Bierhaus tonight, would have bought a bottle if I could afford it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Got to try tactical nuclear penguin in the Bierhaus tonight, would have bought a bottle if I could afford it :cool:

How did that go down? Was there much beer flavour to it, or just pure alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

hardCopy wrote: »
    How did that go down? Was there much beer flavour to it, or just pure alcohol?

I tasted it too:D
    I thought it was kinda like a light, young whisky with a good dose of that marmite/soy sauce flavour and aroma you get from aged beers.
    I quite liked it;)
    Way way nicer than the Sam Adam's Triple Bock.

Now, I am very curious to try Sink The Bismark. TNP tasted pretty much exactly as I expected it to but I have no idea what STB would taste like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Greene King St. Edmunds Ale *: pretty bland to me. Slight sweet malty taste and a whiff if hops.

Reminds me of something else but can't put my finger on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Tui East India Pale Ale. Very smooth. Very Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Screwed up tonight, got normal O'Hara's stout instead of O'Hara extra stout (leann folainn or whatever it's called). So I have:

O'Hara's stout
    Guinness
    Beamish
    Black Rock Stout

Enjoying a Helvick Gold. Tried all the Dungarvan range when they came out first. Don't remember the Helvick being this nice though.

Have the other two to get through so hopefully they're just as nice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Had a couple bottles of Hen's Tooth last night. Good stuff, lovely strong flavours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just so you all know.

Salt House in Galway now have Leann Follain on cask in the bar, lovely stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

O'Hara's Leann Folláin on cask !! Excellent !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Tonight.

Krombacher Dunkel - Wasn't too bothered
    Krombacher Pils - Fair enough
    Erdinger Snowbeer - Last one(much better)

Left Hand Brewing Company's Black Jack Porter and before that Mendocino Brewing Co.'s Black Hawk Stout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Karpackie - does exactly what it says on the tin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Chocolate porter from M&S
    "Irish Stout" from M&S
    Leann Follain
    O'Hara's wheat beer
    Some sort of Scottish toffee ale, can't remember the name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Great Divide Fresh Hop Pale Ale, its one hell of a beer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Been into 'Against the grain' a few times over the past few weeks and sampled most of their wares on tap.

First visit I stuck to the ales-

1. Bay ale (still not a fan of this, no matter how hard I try)
    2. Galway Hooker (a far stronger contender from Galway for my money, frankly)
    3. Trouble Brewing Or (thumbs up also)

Second time I had in my head that I wanted to get around to trying Dark Arts from Trouble Brewing, heard an awful lot about it.

1. Trouble Brewing Dark Arts x 2 (Didn't dissapoint. Instantly my favourite Irish stout, toppling Wrasslers from its perch)
    2. Clotworthy Dobbin (Interesting and treacly. Shame it was super cold from the fridge ... Probably could have done with being a good ten degrees cooler)

I really love 'Against the grain' as a pub. The concept ... the beers ... the menu. The only beef I have (and this is following several visits) is that I find the barmen consistently brusque and passable at best when it comes to their manner. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but to me I kind of like a bartender to convey at least some pretence that they're glad of the custom and happy to serve you a drink. At 'Against the grain' I'm afraid to report that on at least 3 occassions I've been in there and felt like I was dragging the bartender away from his paper, or otherwise putting him out in some way.

I contrast this with some of the other pubs on Wexford street or elsewhere and it's a different story... Which leads me to conclude the problem is in the staff culture (or at least some staff in there) and hopefully not my expectations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

2. Galway Hooker (a far stronger contender from Galway for my money, frankly)
    Before someone else says it, it's from Galwegians, but not from Galway. Brewed in Roscommon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Ah, very interesting. 'Roscommon hooker' wouldn't seem to have the same ring to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I always found the barmen fine in against the grain, I only noticed they had a chalk board up with all the pint prices and prices for half pints -it was good to see most half pints were just half the price of full ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

ciaran76 wrote: »
    O'Hara's Leann Folláin on cask !! Excellent !

Delicious, had some of this last weekend when down in Galway, great value too €4.

I was really disappointed with Dark Arts on Nitro in Against the Grain last week, just had no flavour. I've had it previously and loved it, I just thought Nitro-ing it destroyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Have a couple of bottles of Hook Norton's Double Stout and Batemans xxxb, man xxxb is a tasty beer would love to try it on draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Black Rock Stout on Cask in Against the Grain, really gorgeous stout and served at the perfect temperature, about 10ish degrees.

I find the Bull and Castle cask is usually much too warm, prob close to room temp which is a pity.
    Warm beer doesnt get any better, at least cold beer gets better as it warms!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

last 2 times i was in porter house, on nassau street they had no galway hooker!? anybody know why this is? headin down to roscommon to a communion for the weekend so at least il be able to get it in jj's but was disappointed couldnt get it last two times! is it seasonal or something? im not really an expert, just like it!

also tasted belfast blonde in porterhouse north, which is local, does anybody know if this is seasonl, it was just after their beer festival i had it, so was wondering if they have it the whole time or in dribs and drabs?! thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement