Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

This weekend I will mostly be drinkng my first batch of Homebrew, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm off to Glasgow tomorrow. Going to visit http://www.republicbierhalle.com/

Haven't been there before.

Suggestions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not a great list, TBH, and basically nothing you won't get over here.

I've never been drinking in Glasgow, but West is apparently very good.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not a great list, TBH, and basically nothing you won't get over here.

I've never been drinking in Glasgow, but West is apparently very good.

West. I was there in December. It was nice. It's a bit of a walk out passed the winter palace to it though. There was very messy Christmas party in house that night so maybe I should give it another chance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There's also The Clockwork, but again possibly not the handiest location.

This is quite handy for keeping track of what's available around Glasgow. The Bon Accord seems to feature a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Having a tripel karmeliet this evening. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Picked up a 750ml bottle of La Chouffe from my local SuperValu today. Never tried it before and look forward to opening it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sierra Nevada Glissade this evening. Certainly not the best in the SN range. Just bought it to taste it but most likely never buy again.

At least I have an O'Haras pale ale to cheer me up after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada Glissade this evening. Certainly not the best in the SN range. Just bought it to taste it but most likely never buy again.

At least I have an O'Haras pale ale to cheer me up after that.

Yeah, the most disappointing sierra nevada I've had (had it on draught)

Found a Great divide "hibernation ale" that I forgot I had and after the SN beer this tastes amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

adamski8 wrote: »
    Dungarvan's black rock irish stout- did not like this at all :(

Just curious what put you off it? It is widely agreed by beer nerds like myself that it is the best regular stout in Ireland. It is stout as it should be and as it used to be. Naturally conditioned, unfiltered, unpasteurised and full flavour.
    In other words, what Guinness is not.

Of course everyone has different tastes so you are of course entitled to not like something. I was just curious was there anything specific that stood out?

Yeah, the most disappointing sierra nevada I've had (had it on draught)

Oh you have not had Old Chico then :D

Goose Island Pepe Nero, dark Belgian style beer. I liked it alot which surprised me because usually these type of beers don't work for me.

I'll be drinking Augustiner Edelstoff tonight :D Heading up to the Franciscan Well tomorrow afternoon, hopefully they will have some smoked ale left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

O'hara's Irish pale ale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Im about to have a blonde frog.

Many many beers at the Franciscan Well Easterfest yesterday. What a fantastic day.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Currently drinking a bottle of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, picked up 2 bottles after I read the thread about them pulling out of Ireland. What a shame, because this is a beautiful beer. I'm quite reluctant to open the second bottle because I'm not sure how I'd buy more without a trip to Dublin (drinkstore seem to be out of it now).
    Also recently had some Rodenbach, was expecting a lot more from this, smells great, starts out great, but then in the middle it tastes pretty offensive to me, then finishes great. The middle part of the taste kind of ruined it for me. I also have a bottle of the Grand Cru version waiting to be tried.
    My bottle of Orval will be next for me, one I'm really looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I had a pint of Buckley's Golden Ale in FXB's in Monkstown for lunch. Very impressed by it. I'll definitely have it again.
    Now tucking into a bottle of Monty Python's Holy Ale.

Mo14 wrote: »
    Currently drinking a bottle of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, picked up 2 bottles after I read the thread about them pulling out of Ireland. What a shame, because this is a beautiful beer. I'm quite reluctant to open the second bottle because I'm not sure how I'd buy more without a trip to Dublin (drinkstore seem to be out of it now).
    Also recently had some Rodenbach, was expecting a lot more from this, smells great, starts out great, but then in the middle it tastes pretty offensive to me, then finishes great. The middle part of the taste kind of ruined it for me. I also have a bottle of the Grand Cru version waiting to be tried.
    My bottle of Orval will be next for me, one I'm really looking forward to.

I got some Dogfish Head 90 Minute from drinkstore when I heard it was being pulled too. It was very nice. But yeah drinkstore are out of it so dunno where to find more.

How was the Orval? I have a bottle here but havent tasted it yet.

Just had a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. It was delicious. Perfect for sitting in the midday sun. Now im having a Cathedral Quarter Beer. Very nice but nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

KJ wrote: »
    I got some Dogfish Head 90 Minute from drinkstore when I heard it was being pulled too. It was very nice. But yeah drinkstore are out of it so dunno where to find more.

How was the Orval? I have a bottle here but havent tasted it yet.

Just had a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. It was delicious. Perfect for sitting in the midday sun. Now im having a Cathedral Quarter Beer. Very nice but nothing special.

A Kellerweis in the midday sun- you Sir are living the dream!

• Advertisement

Haha tell me bout it. Had to work the bank holiday so this is my day off instead. Perfect weather and perfect beers.

Follow on from my visit to Glasgow. Due to my Fiancee's permanent illness flaring up I didn't get out much. I did visit the Republic Bier Halle and was not overly impressed. Pretty bland offering and not exactly cheap.

Glasgow, beerwise, is not cheap. Even Tyskie in the Off License(Cooperative) was £1.89 per bottle(Best bottle they had). :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Fookin' outstanding brew. picked it up in the Vineyard off-licence in B'Fast.

I'm yet to find a stockist in Dublin - anyone seen it on the shelves here???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

KJ wrote: »
    Im about to have a blonde frog.
    Havnt had the Blonde Frog, but I have another bottle of Red Frog sitting at home, shouldn't last too long

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a bottle of Great Divide Titan IPA from The Bierhaus, Cork yesterday.
    Another fantastic American IPA - in the same league as Dogfish Head and Odell's!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Whats the erdinger dark beer like?its on sale for 2euro in my local super value,I'm drinking kombacher tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I don't know if people rant and rave about them but they're a decent example of an Irish stout and an Irish red, if such a thing exists. I'm still waiting to taste a good Irish red.

I am going to say Mes'r maguires red was pretty tasty ...and I disliked o'haras

Cuvée des Trolls quite sweet beer. Not too bad but with other good beers available won't be rushing back.

Whats the erdinger dark beer like?its on sale for 2euro in my local super value,I'm drinking kombacher tonight

It's not bad at all. Certainly worth €2 if there is nothing more interesting to get.
    Sort of like a chocolate wheat beer. There are less rewarding things to spend €2 on after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tombones

Clearly the connoisseurs are out when talking up Dutch Gold. I imagine when they hit puberty their tastes might change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement