Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

KJ wrote: »
    How was the Orval? I have a bottle here but havent tasted it yet.
    Haven't tried it yet, I'm thinking I may get a few other beers, and do a side by side for that one. I'm curious though, I hear a lot about it being 'horsey'.
    Tombones wrote: »
    Clearly the connoisseurs are out when talking up Dutch Gold. I imagine when they hit puberty their tastes might change.
    Uhm, if you're talking about the discussion of Dutch Gold from a few pages back, look at the date of my post, it was my poor attempt at an April Fool's joke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Gordon Finest Gold (10%) - too sweet and too much of an alcohol taste.
    Found it hard to finish to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Gordon Finest Gold (10%) - too sweet and too much of an alcohol taste.
    Found it hard to finish to be honest.

Yes, a rotten superlager in a nice bottle.

Yes, a rotten superlager in a nice bottle.

I actually thought it was gin at 1st then read the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I just received a parcel from my girlfriends dad in England. He sent me 6 bottles of Kiss Me Kate for the royal wedding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Saruman wrote: »
    Just curious what put you off it? It is widely agreed by beer nerds like myself that it is the best regular stout in Ireland. It is stout as it should be and as it used to be. Naturally conditioned, unfiltered, unpasteurised and full flavour.
    In other words, what Guinness is not.

Of course everyone has different tastes so you are of course entitled to not like something. I was just curious was there anything specific that stood out?
    Just didnt excite me and tastes werent for me obviously. Think i like a more full on flavour stout. But really im not so sure about what wasnt nice about it, just that im certain i didnt like it. I would like o'hara's, wrasslers, my home brew coopers, guinness extra stout and the chocolate ones are interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Playoff_Beard

Orval - Harsh, rough. Probably for proper men/Beer Drinkers. I just couldn't handle it though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Orval - Harsh, rough.
    Orval changes a lot with time, in every direction. I've definitely had harsh ones, but plenty really smooth ones too. It's a complete lottery.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Orval changes a lot with time, in every direction. I've definitely had harsh ones, but plenty really smooth ones too. It's a complete lottery.

A lottery which one always wins!!

• Advertisement

Hogs Back TEA is an English pale ale. Not bad but not great either.
    Very malty and hardly any carbonation.

Have a few more Hogs back beers in the fridge so hope they better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Playoff_Beard

A lottery which one always wins!!

can't say i felt like I won!
    But I'll give it another go..

Had a bottle of Black Rock stout last night and did not like it at all. Tonight I have a selection of Augustiner Edelstoff, Innis & Gunn and picked up a bottle of Theakston Old Peculier in Dunnes as well. Never tried it before and hoping it's good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

My usual tonight:

O'Hara's extra stout, O'Hara's stout, O'Hara's red ale, O'Hara's wheat beer. And a couple of those cheap Lidl beers (the 10 pack for 3.29) for an emergency.

Sipping these while listening to Peter Schiff radio archives and watching UFC!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

6 X Westmalle Tripple
    2 X Westmalle Double
    2 X Rochefort 8

1 X 10oz Striploin

Time for bed!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

750ml bottle of Brooklyn Local 1. Reminds me of Duvel

Jarl - a hoppy citrus beer with a dry aftertaste.

At first I wasn't sure but after the 2nd taste I was won over. Lots of flavours going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Odell Red Ale - A really nice American red ale, nice malty backbone with a good dose of American hops thrown in for kicks.

The boys at Odell know how to make good beer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

On Friday evening myself and a friend took a spin down to redmonds and picked up..

Whitstable Bay organic Ale
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Goose Island Honkers Ale
    Anchor Steam Humming Ale
    Anchor Steam Liberty Ale
    Goose Island 312 Ale
    Brew Dog Punk IPA
    Brew Dog Hardcore IPA
    Victory Hop Devil IPA
    Dogfish IPA
    Paulanor Salvator
    Innis & Gunn Rum Cask oak aged beer
    Innis and Gunn (normal!!)
    Hobgoblin..

And we drank them all in one sitting...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

5 goose island honkers ale
    6 anchor liberty ale

heres to a nice long weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭texasgal

slayerking wrote: »
    Odell Red Ale - A really nice American red ale, nice malty backbone with a good dose of American hops thrown in for kicks.

I got all excited, and then realized they don't distribute in Texas.. I MUST to try this beer ...

:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've been drinking O'Hara's Leann Folláin a lot over the last few weeks, and I have to say, it's easily the best Irish beer I've ever had, and I've made my way around almost all of the craft brewers on the island in the last few years.

Fantastic drink.

They will have it on cask in The Salt House from tomorrow but I don't know when Tarrin will get around to putting it on.
    They still have a cask and a half of Dungarvan's Helvick to get through.
    Hope they decide to get it out before I leave on the 19th.

Was at Brewers on the Bay over the weekend and I'd recommend the following beers, without reservation.

Dungarvan's Black Rock Porter
    Dungarvan's Oatmeal and Coffee stout.

O'Hara's, everything but the smoked ale (just not my thing).

8 Degree's Golden Ale was fantastic, would be great with some BBQ Chicken.

Trouble Brewing's Plack Porter was a lovely little drop, probably needs to served cooler than the room temp it was served at this weekend though.
    Trouble's Or is nice too.

Those were my personal favourites.
    But just about everything was lovely, except one thing.

Avoid Messr's Maguire's Mixed Fruit Wisse, was absolutely terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Picked up a 4 pack of Flensburger Pilsener, I wanted to use the bottles for homebrew, but the beer inside is really good!!! definatly going to get a few more, tasty, and I can reuse the bottles. :)

Yup, I had a 5 barrel ale last night. Fantastic!!
    Every one of their beers I've had has been really, really good.

texasgal wrote: »
    I got all excited, and then realized they don't distribute in Texas.. I MUST to try this beer ...

:cool:

Thats crazy!!! We can get the stuff here and you cant get it in the Texas!!
    If you manage to track some down, the IPA is top notch aswell, one of the best. Actually, there all great tbh!!

Last night I had Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary - Fritz And Ken's Ale (9.2% Imperial Stout). A cracker of a beer!!
    Also had Mikkeller/Brewdog 'I hardcore you'. Another winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Seaneh wrote: »
    I've been drinking O'Hara's Leann Folláin a lot over the last few weeks, and I have to say, it's easily the best Irish beer I've ever had, and I've made my way around almost all of the craft brewers on the island in the last few years.

Fantastic drink.

They will have it on cask in The Salt House from tomorrow but I don't know when Tarrin will get around to putting it on.
    They still have a cask and a half of Dungarvan's Helvick to get through.
    Hope they decide to get it out before I leave on the 19th.

Was at Brewers on the Bay over the weekend and I'd recommend the following beers, without reservation.

Dungarvan's Black Rock Porter
    Dungarvan's Oatmeal and Coffee stout.

O'Hara's, everything but the smoked ale (just not my thing).

8 Degree's Golden Ale was fantastic, would be great with some BBQ Chicken.

Trouble Brewing's Plack Porter was a lovely little drop, probably needs to served cooler than the room temp it was served at this weekend though.
    Trouble's Or is nice too.

Those were my personal favourites.
    But just about everything was lovely, except one thing.

Avoid Messr's Maguire's Mixed Fruit Wisse, was absolutely terrible.
    I quite enjoyed the mixed fruit weisse. I did only have the half but it was nice and tart and mouth puckeringly dry. Might work better from the keg, served colder and with more carbonation but it did work from the cask. For me at least.

Trouble's Galaxy Pale Ale from the Cask (not the keg) was my beer of the festival though.

I had my first pint of Trouble Brewing Or yesterday in Against The Grain. It was really really good. Might take a trip there and then the Bull & Castle on Thursday. A birthday treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Indeed. Their 5 Barrel Pale Ale and Cut-throat Porter are divine. Porterhouse had their St. Lupulin as beer of the day a couple of weeks ago (€4 instead of €6.20) and it was another thumbs up from me.

Latest order with Drinkstore has their Red Ale included in it so I'm looking forward to trying that.

I'm going to open up a bottle of Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Brewers Reserve tonight and a bottle of Jack Daniels Silver Select.:D

• Advertisement

KJ wrote: »
    I'm going to open up a bottle of Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Brewers Reserve tonight and a bottle of Jack Daniels Silver Select.:D

Which Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary brew is it?

I had Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary - Fritz And Ken's Ale (an Imperial stout) last weekend, was top notch. Really nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement