Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    Yay your making me real wexcited we can go sledgin and everthing if it happens ahhh!!

Words of a true snow lover! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I must be the only one sick of the goddamn snow. Go away! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow is getting a bit lighter now and may start melting fast if it stays lighter.

currently outside it looks like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Hi all,

Just finishing lunch break.

Been snowing here in Enniskillen since 09.00 or so. Light at first, but has got progressively heavier as the day has worn on. Started to lie since about 10.00, and there is now roughly about an inch on the grass and roads, and more on the cars etc.

Roads look in a bad way, so be careful if you're out and about here.

Will take a few snaps later and post them here when I get home if anyone's interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

HI DE yet again the west is going to miss out am i right, feck it anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Just watching the bbc weather a few minutes ago, things are going to get very bad up north tonight, extreme conditions he said ,and watched the Rte weather, no major warnings at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Quite an alarmist forcast by the BBC there.

Plainly focused on just today and early tomorrow.

Warning of extreme conditions in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Stressed how 'horrendus' it will be. Urging to stay indoors.

Blizzards, 0 visibility towards 1ft and half on the hills. :eek::eek::eek:

Worst forcecast i have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Worst forcecast i have ever seen.
    Ah come on WC. Surely in the context of this thread, it was the best forecast ever. ;)

Yep, feck it, although I'd not rule out some scrapes later as the winds back to the NE, as this could lower dp's due to the longer land track of the wind stream. This would be more likely in the east of the province as indicated by the met earlier.

Anything is possible, but nothing is just a possible. :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The rte forecast said that snow would continue this evening and tonight but that it would be lighter than it is now. Then theres BBC's forecast...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

smashey wrote: »
    Ah come on WC. Surely in the context of this thread, it was the best forecast ever. ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I see weathercheck bet me to it ,i indeed back him up there ,it was the worst forecast i ever seen aswell, a foot and a half on the hills and urged people not to venture out in it!
    Met eireanns forecast was different entirely , but sky weather was the same as bbc so met eireann is on there own again.
    By the way worst = best :P

Hi all,

Will take a few snaps later and post them here when I get home if anyone's interested?

You are on a weather forum, of course we are interested!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Blizzard conditions very heavy snow here. This is getting really bad, Its been a long time since i saw it has bad here. BBC weather giving some serious warnings for NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Anyone got a link to that BBC forecast?

How do you guys think Donegal will fare out of this, are we too far west to get the sneachta on this occasion?

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Blizzard conditions very heavy snow here. This is getting really bad, Its been a long time since i saw it has bad here. BBC weather giving some serious warnings for NI.
    Get some pics lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    I see weathercheck bet me to it ,i indeed back him up there ,it was the worst forecast i ever seen aswell, a foot and a half on the hills and urged people not to venture out in it!
    Met eireanns forecast was different entirely , but sky weather was the same as bbc so met eireann is on there own again.
    By the way worst = best :P

jammy b**tard:p

erm... i mean congratulations;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Anyone know if Munster will see any of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Last nights snow has completely thawed, light rain with bits of sleet falling at the moment. Just one question how do you think tonights snow event will turn out here? from what I see I might be a bit too far south or west to see some decent snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

When the UK met goes red with its warning it means their is a possible risk to life. This is why they are being very clear on the BBC forecast, and wanting people to stay indoors and not get caught out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Vain wrote: »
    Anyone know if Munster will see any of this?

looking unlikely for anything significant. maybe east munster - waterford/tipperary might see something is the forecast for now.

the snow falling is very fine here now and the ground snow is starting to melt. Will need heavy snow back to keep the snow on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Slimity wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to that BBC forecast?

You can watch the bbc news 24 forecast here @ 27 and 57 mins past the hour so should be on in 2 mins..

http://atdhe.net/watch-bbc-news.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

darkman2 wrote: »
    Your right not to trust the models all the time. But there was pretty solid agreement all along. Enjoy the snow and let us never speak of it again:)

Well it's sleeting and wet-snowing below the 200m I predicted, but I don't see any sign of the disruption that was forecast? Maybe from flooding and high winds (ferries cancelled) but I haven't heard of any problems on the roads at low levels in the Republic (yes roads in Donegal, Wicklow, etc,) but at sea level? I've just driven from Tallaght (105m - sleet) to Naas (100m - rain). The majority of the ME stations around the country are reporting rain or sleet, so it's still not the winter whiteout. But there is still time later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I wouldn't rule out some decent accumulations in the west this evening and overnight. You will notice plenty of showers bubbling up off the west coast in the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Doomsday for some...

attachment.php?attachmentid=109189&stc=1&d=1269953923

jammy b**tard:p

erm... i mean congratulations;)

You can congratulate me when i get snow ,Not counting my chickens yet :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Su Campu wrote: »
    Well it's sleeting and wet-snowing below the 200m I predicted, but I don't see any sign of the disruption that was forecast? Maybe from flooding and high winds (ferries cancelled) but I haven't heard of any problems on the roads at low levels in the Republic (yes roads in Donegal, Wicklow, etc,) but at sea level? I've just driven from Tallaght (105m - sleet) to Naas (100m - rain). The majority of the ME stations around the country are reporting rain or sleet, so it's still not the winter whiteout. But there is still time later
    You are being quite ignorant here to be honest.

Nobody really expected appreciable snowfall at low levels through this morning and afternoon and you know this by looking at the charts.

The real activity to this kicks in this evening as we have discussed on this thread when the cold air gets driven south on the tight gradient.

This is when heavy snow and blizzards will push down to low levels with snow lying and accumulating.

In the coming hours we will see the cold air getting more entrained into the low as it deepens quite quickly and pushes slowly east. This will push temperatures down steadily from the northwest with the snowline progressively moving east and south throught he evening and early night.

Rtavn182.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭pauldry

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Intense looking this baby

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement