Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Erm NOO!! The met office say 5-10cm tonight way blizzards... And snow is lying at 80 m here away below your threshold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sleety wet snow early this morning Mike, could see the snow in the fields on the hills of south KK on way to work. Tonight should be interesting as normally you'd expect Waterford to be the last place to get snow from a northerly never mind almost April :eek:

I must get up earlier...actually no! :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Remember not everyone lives at sea level so take care warnings are very appropiate for people like Grace.

Again, I'm just joking really - just it's like a script at this stage on Boards with these snow threads. Severe weather post, warnings etc., then hundreds of posts with "snow shield holding", "raining here.... again", "balmy 4C here", "we NEVER get snow", "lucky UK", angry smileys etc.. It is funny you have to admit.

As for the sea level bit - yes, probably only about 97% of the posters who post here are living at sea level or close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A day like yesterday here without the rain. Cloudy and breezy with temp on 4.3c. Wind NW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Definitely snow sticking up there (as there is snow on the ground here and I'm a couple of hundred feet lower). I'd say 3 to 4 inches at least at this stage as there were reports this morning of 3 inches at Glencullen (at similar height). I'd plan a walk somewhere else as I'd say roads up will be hairy.

Still snowing here albeit very wet snow. 1.9c DP 1.7c

Thanks for that DOCARCH.... There is a path from the back of Firhouse at local ground level, all the way up to the Hell Fire Club, I had great trouble driving up there last January and I remember a guy who parked his car at the entrace to the Hell Fire Club and when he came back from his walk, his stationary car with handbrake on had started sliding back down the hill by itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

owenc wrote: »
    Erm NOO!! The met office say 5-10cm tonight way blizzards... And snow is lying at 80 m here away below your threshold
    Feck off, read my post again before you start posting nonsense. Here is your Met Office's warning concerning where you live:

Northern Ireland:
    Co Derry
    Co Tyrone
    Heavy Rain & Heavy Snow 0700 Tue 30 1500 Tue 30

Rain will be persistent and heavy at times throughout the day, giving further accumulations of 20 to 30mm in places. On higher ground this will fall as snow giving additional accumulations of 5 to 10cm above 150m, and 25cm or more above 300m. This warning will be updated during the afternoon.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the NI Rivers Agency for further advice on flooding, and also to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 0457 Tue 30 Mar

Do you see that word "additional"?

As for the rest of your post, I've less than miniscule interest in giving you personalised forecasts. That last forecast was mainly concerned with the North Leinster coast, which I explicitly stated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

MrDarcy wrote: »
    Thanks for that DOCARCH.... There is a path from the back of Firhouse at local ground level, all the way up to the Hell Fire Club, I had great trouble driving up there last January and I remember a guy who parked his car at the entrace to the Hell Fire Club and when he came back from his walk, his stationary car with handbrake on had started sliding back down the hill by itself!

If you're going to walk all the way up then go for it, but bear in mind it's still snowing up there.

Turned to sleet here now. 2.0c DP 2.0c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

PauloMN wrote: »
    Again, I'm just joking really - just it's like a script at this stage on Boards with these snow threads. Severe weather post, warnings etc., then hundreds of posts with "snow shield holding", "raining here.... again", "balmy 4C here", "we NEVER get snow", "lucky UK", angry smileys etc.. It is funny you have to admit.

As for the sea level bit - yes, probably only about 97% of the posters who post here are living at sea level or close to it.

97% :eek: i told you 100 times before don't exaggerate :P

The rest of what you said is why this place is so much fun.
    No matter what the weather is at anytime of the year it will suit some and not others. Fortunately it's not the Truman show and none of us have any control over it. I love the unpredictabilty of it all even at such short range hence why I love reading all the latest reports from my fellow forumites.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

Issued at 30 March 2010 - 11:05
    Weather Warning (update)

Cold and windy today and tonight.
    Further falls of rain, sleet and snow today over Ulster, north Leinster and East Connacht, with most of the snow on high ground / mountains, but some is likely at lower levels too, especially over Ulster.
    However later today and tonight, falls will be mostly of sleet and snow and will be heavier also. Some significant accumulations of snow are likely on high ground and mountains over Ulster, Leinster and east Munster, where some drifting is possible.
    Estimated Totals : 10 to 20 cm on high ground and mountains
    More moderate accumulations expected at lower levels, more typically 2 to 6 cm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Snow shield holding here in Dublin - it's raining. ;) :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

based on that warning it looks like those of us in the west are going to miss out on the good stuff. pity as i was hoping to build something like this:
    worlds-biggest-snowwoman.jpg

based on that warning it looks like those of us in the west are going to miss out on the good stuff. pity as i was hoping to build something like this:
    worlds-biggest-snowwoman.jpg

You don't really think minusculey Nacho, do you? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Had a nice covering of snow this morning, melted now. Still snowing though. Snow line is just above me here, maybe 250 metres or so. No doubt it will lower again later on.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Ah, byrneno7 just beat me to it:D

Anyway, here's an update on my last post. The latest run of the NAE model has come out, and this evening looks like an upgrade for most parts even if rainfall amounts were weakened slightly.

The dewpoints throughout the northern half of Ireland are negative now by 10pm, with even Dublin looking forward to seeing some wet snow by that stage. It's going to be a very interesting 12 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ah, byrneno7 just beat me to it:D

Anyway, here's an update on my last post. The latest run of the NAE model has come out, and this evening looks like an upgrade for most parts even if rainfall amounts were weakened slightly.

The dewpoints throughout the northern half of Ireland are negative now by 10pm, with even Dublin looking forward to seeing some wet snow by that stage. It's going to be a very interesting 12 hours!

Been snowing here quite moderately for the last 1 and half hours after a brief turn to rain/sleet.

Far too wet to stick but tis snow and if it were to stick, there would be a load of it on the turf.

Full on wet snow though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mostly rain/sleet here now with the odd sporadic burst of wet snow. 2.3c DP 2.2c

Hope the cold air dig in takes place later as forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Been snowing here quite moderately for the last 1 and half hours after a brief turn to rain/sleet.

Far too wet to stick but tis snow and if it were to stick, there would be a load of it on the turf.

Full on wet snow though.

You are in Dublin right ? I can never remember !

As an aside from the snow, very strong winds/poss gales are expected to batter the north and west coast later on this evening and early tonight, and then later off the very SE coast as the low pulls towards the Irish Sea into Wales after midnight.

t|nt|n wrote: »
    You are in Dublin right ? I can never remember !

Yes near Malahide and is snowing strong, no tickage though, clumps hit ground and melt after a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

lashing rain in the North Wet.^.^.s :o

• Advertisement

As an aside from the snow, very strong winds/poss gales are expected to batter the north and west coast later on this evening and early tonight, and then later off the very SE coast as the low pulls towards the Irish Sea into Wales after midnight.

Yes by midnight, sustained winds of near 40 knots are forecast for the Irish sea coastal districts with gusts in excess of 60mph likely in the Dublin region.

This combined with heavy snowfalls and falling temperatures could lead to a serious weather situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Ok so it should start snowing sometime around 5or 6 ok I shall watch glasgows dp over next few hours... Only problem is the snow lying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

sleety crap here in Dublin...... its so miserable!, i think i might get a hairdryer and start drying the garden before the real snow starts..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

perhaps you should take a trip up to the erris peninsula;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

PauloMN wrote: »

High ground 220m asl where I live but the hill rises to 330m asl
    byrneno7 wrote: »
    Issued at 30 March 2010 - 11:05
    Weather Warning (update)

Cold and windy today and tonight.
    Further falls of rain, sleet and snow today over Ulster, north Leinster and East Connacht, with most of the snow on high ground / mountains, but some is likely at lower levels too, especially over Ulster.
    However later today and tonight, falls will be mostly of sleet and snow and will be heavier also. Some significant accumulations of snow are likely on high ground and mountains over Ulster, Leinster and east Munster, where some drifting is possible.
    Estimated Totals : 10 to 20 cm on high ground and mountains
    More moderate accumulations expected at lower levels, more typically 2 to 6 cm.

At least its nearly April.......

perhaps you should take a trip up to the erris peninsula;)

Maybe I won't have to; could get wild enough even in inland parts later on:

109180.png

Full on wet snow though.

Whoops, I should have said wet snow of the "sticking variety", not so much that horrible crap that melts the moment it hits your face/clothes:(

In other news, the warming before the cooling that I was on about, is en route. The temperatuer of the NRA station along the M1 very near the border is 4.4 degrees, while 20 kilometres south on the same motorway is at 2.7 degrees. These are at about the same "altitude", perhaps the Dromod one near the border is higher. Belfast Aldergrove airport has been between 4 and 5 degrees for much of the morning so far. Wind directions around Drogheda are roughly westerly currently but the winds are northerly beyond Dundalk.

There could be quite a lot of snow shield posts before the snow actually starts off...

NRA graphical map (with more information, every 10 minutes and shows exact locations) http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=208

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i was proven wrong with snow falling today! looks very nice but its not really sticking properly. Thers a tiny dusting on some parts of the grass but its been like that for past 2 hours and doesnt appear to be getting any whiter. If this was 4-6 weeks ago there would be alot of snow on the ground by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

It's dry and sunny here with a strong wind, cold in the wind tho but in shelter nice and spring like.

• Advertisement

Cavan and Monaghan are going to get a very heavy fall of snow today, they've had heavyish snowfall all morning and the radar doesn't snow the ppn moving anywhere any time soon...

Are there any recent reports around that part of the world??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement