Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Snowy where I'm staying. Near Newbliss, Co Monaghan :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yay emerggrncy warning on met office

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

some nice snowfall in newbliss im only about 6 miles in the road from there in monaghan town and we have barely any jus some lying on the grass that all:( amazing what the height difference can do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

deaglan169 wrote: »
    some nice snowfall in newbliss im only about 6 miles in the road from there in monaghan town and we have barely any jus some lying on the grass that all:( amazing what the height difference can do

judging by latest rte aertel update looks like its going to be an ulster/leinster affair. thought the precipitation may spread further west but looks unlikely! another near miss to add to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Northern Ireland:
    Co Derry
    Co Fermanagh
    Co Tyrone
    Severe Blizzards, Severe Drifting Snow & Very Heavy Snowfall 1500 Tue 30 0600 Wed 31

A prolonged period of snow which will turn very heavy at times is expected to develop through this afternoon and evening. The snow will quickly drift in the strong to gale force North wind with blizzard conditions developing inland away from the north coast. Over upland areas in particular, such as the Glenshane Pass, extreme conditions will develop with severely reduced visibility at times in severe blizzards. The extreme conditions will last well into the night. Snow accumulations will vary largely across the region, with typically 15cm, but less across some low lying coastal areas, whilst upland areas could catch 30 or 40cm with deep drifts. Many roads are liable to become impassable and some interruptions to power supplies are possible.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1232 Tue 30 Mar (This was coloured red on the Met Office warning map)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Been raining and miserable here in Donegal Town all day so far. Not a sign of sleet even. Even the mountains of barnesmore gap have snowless tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Flash Warning from UKMO for Derry, Fermanagh, Tyrone :

Severe Blizzards, Severe Drifting Snow & Very Heavy Snowfall

1500 Tue 30 - 0600 Wed 31

A prolonged period of snow which will turn very heavy at times is expected to develop through this afternoon and evening. The snow will quickly drift in the strong to gale force North wind with blizzard conditions developing inland away from the north coast. Over upland areas in particular, such as the Glenshane Pass, extreme conditions will develop with severely reduced visibility at times in severe blizzards. The extreme conditions will last well into the night. Snow accumulations will vary largely across the region, with typically 15cm, but less across some low lying coastal areas, whilst upland areas could catch 30 or 40cm with deep drifts. Many roads are liable to become impassable and some interruptions to power supplies are possible.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

Wow, up to 15 inches of snow for high ground in the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Just back from picking my wee cuttie from school up the Knocks. Not sure about its height ASL but its a different world up there. Branches seem to be breaking off trees with the weight off snow on them.

Drive up and down was interesting until a lorry in front slid off the road and ended up blocking the road. Had to walk to the school and back, though its class to walk in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

irish1967 wrote: »
    Been raining and miserable here in Donegal Town all day so far. Not a sign of sleet even. Even the mountains of barnesmore gap have snowless tops.

Same here Irish67, started spitting rain a while back. No mountains to look at though to see if any snow is on them :o

4.5c. 987.6mb falling very slowly, Mean wind speed 14mph, gusting 23mph from the NW.

Well it's 1.5c here and sleeting I'm in favoured area cannot wait for my six inches like yea right..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone know is this gonna clear up come thursday?

I have a Dublin-Limerick trip by car!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like they are very concerned for western NI with really intense pulse of precip forcast.

Still would expect snow widely through the region just this area recieving the extreme amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

judging by latest rte aertel update looks like its going to be an ulster/leinster affair. thought the precipitation may spread further west but looks unlikely! another near miss to add to the list.

this is more or less what Gerry Murphy was saying last night. he indicated the rain would turn to sleet and heavy snow during the day over the east and north, with just light precipitation in the west and southwest.

Elessar wrote: »
    Anyone know is this gonna clear up come thursday?

I have a Dublin-Limerick trip by car!

Should do, showers will still be dotted around though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

3 to 4 inches now of lying snow. As i drive for a living the roads are in serious condition have come across many collisions. Still Snowing not has heavy. from were i live about 15 miles away the had not one flake yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Same here Irish67, started spitting rain a while back. No mountains to look at though to see if any snow is on them :o

4.5c. 987.6mb falling very slowly, Mean wind speed 14mph, gusting 23mph from the NW.

Light rain here also and at 5.5c its warmer than yesterday!
    At least there's a bit of wind to look forward to later :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Looks like they are very concerned for western NI with really intense pulse of precip forcast.

pangea will be happy. maybe he is snowed in already.

Still would expect snow widely through the region just this area recieving the extreme amounts.
    do you really think that's going to happen?? I canny wait!!

pangea will be happy. maybe he is snowed in already.

Hopefully. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    3 to 4 inches now of lying snow. As i drive for a living the roads are in serious condition have come across many collisions. Still Snowing not has heavy. from were i live about 15 miles away the had not one flake yet.

Be prepared for what could be a serious situation later on for your area. Met Office has issued a flash warning :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65158025&postcount=218

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Heh, I'm in Tyrone and we have had miserable heavy rain and sleet all morning. This afternoon looks interesting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like we may lose the snow in the next hour or 2 as it moves to the north? Is this snow ment to travell back south down the east coast today and tonight? Looking at the met eireann radar the snow is pushing north west and doesnt looks like its gonna last another 12 hours in Wicklow, Dublin and Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like we may lose the snow in the next hour or 2 as it moves to the north? Is this snow ment to travell back south down the east coast today and tonight? Looking at the met eireann radar the snow is pushing north west and doesnt looks like its gonna last another 12 hours in Wicklow, Dublin and Meath?

The system will develop quite rapidly in the coming hours.

The centre is developing just to the east of the Louth coast.

This will tighten the gradient and swing the precip back south through the evening and tonight, with the precip intensifying as it does so.

Areas in Mid Ulster, north Mids can prepare for a serious winter snow storm.

Gonzo wrote: »

It will stall soon over the north, and should start to pull back southwards over the next few hours. Pressure will start to rise also as it does so, and this is when the fun and games will begin,

for some.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The snow is getting very heavy now and had a small gust of wind, garden is totally white now, roads and paths still soaking wet. about a cm or 2 on the ground altho about 4 to 5 inchs worth of snow has fallen since morning - only now is it starting to properly stick.

A spring snow storm assuredly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

hotwhiskey wrote: »

Probably will end up with over a foot of snow and trees down with the weight of it coupled with the already saturated ground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Bring them on !! I'm about 8 miles from the border as the crow flies !!:D

Wheres the center of the low now? As i understand it as it moves East then the really cold wind is going to whack us hard in this area . Not one flake or even sleet here yet but if the temp drops just a little the amount of snow could be immense. Its been raining here now for about 20 hours non stop.

The system will develop quite rapidly in the coming hours.

The centre is developing just to the east of the Louth coast.

This will tighten the gradient and swing the precip back south through the evening and tonight, with the precip intensifying as it does so.

Yay your making me real wexcited we can go sledgin and everthing if it happens ahhh!!

• Advertisement

Stonger winds developing of the NW coast in the next few hours:

109186.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement