Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

davehey79 wrote: »
    feckin hell left the house at just before quarter to 2 and half way to work bang started to teem down snow again almost exact same time as yesterday. have few fotos will upload in a few mins (they aint great to warn ya)

heres the few pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

snow ghost wrote: »
    Don't know about the Glenshane pass situation, as its a road from Belfast, but in general there is always a small minority of inconsiderate people who put themselves - and consequently others - in danger on mountains and water when it really, really isn't appropriate.

They should be charged for being rescued, and reprimanded for wasting valuable resources.

I'd agree with this if someone is being totally excusably stupid or reckless

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

with all this winter weather still about and the snow lying lovly on the ground I was wondering if people can rememer what is the longest time that snow was on the mountains. I cant remember snow still lying on the dublin mountains at the end of march, from jan - march and now they are covered again. We might get it to stay for another 2 or 3 weeks. i remember people saying that the snow was on the ground for more than 30days in a row which most people said was unheard of in thier lifetimes.

will this be a longest winter when we tell our children about it, last years was the winter of total disruption to dublin, took me 3.5 hrs to get home etc and the snow that stayed for 2 weeks, this year so far for me will be the snow that just kept falling, it wasnt deep but it jut kept falling, even in march (maybe april)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Heavy sleet shower here, blowing over as quickly as it arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Not wrote: »

i agree with this, someone from the rescue service is going to die saving one of these idiots and by then its too late....... its like the wicklow and sallys gap, they should be gated and when the weather is bad they should be closed with noone (except locals or emergency) being allowed on these roads. too many idiots go up and get stuck up there. it is a waste of money and resources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Not wrote: »

True Not, tis a fine line between allowing people the freedom to indulge in their ourdoor activities and preventing the ill-prepared putting others at risk. Most people have enough sense not to venture into precarious weather situations.

That said a few years back the Wicklow Mountain Rescue team had a trip to Mayo and went for a bit of a stroll in the North Mayo mountains - they got into a spot of bother and had to phone the Mayo Mountain Rescue team to get them down! lol strange but true!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

We have a mixed bag of weather here in Limerick at the moment. In the past 30 mins we have had sunshine, rain, hail stones and sleet. I wish it would make up its mind as to what it is doing :confused:

Heavy sleet shower here, blowing over as quickly as it arrived!

Did you get much snow yesterday Jerry? I read a few waterford posters saying it was full-on there yesterday.

Fair play to Waterford getting some anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Very heavy hail which left a layer of hail on the snow, now very heavy hail and snow mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Su Campu wrote: »
    Well maybe you're right, can't take chances when flying, but I can't see how people didn't hear one way or the other, or see that things were detting dodgy the further they drove. But anyway, what's done is done, none of them was harmed so they 'll take it as a lesson and move on.

Surely the road should have been closed if conditions were that bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snow and hail here again. it's a pity the showers are going to die off after nightfall.

it's getting quite heavy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

Rained for almost two days straight here in Castlerea and now it's snowing like mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Hail here in Cork City too.

derekon wrote: »
    Hi Graces,

I do not mean to be unkind but would you ever consider moving to an abode at sea level?

Your posts over the past number of months depict (intentionally or not) a lady in distress who is stuck up the side of a mountain knitting and feeding dogs. I mean , its 2010 there is no need for this ...have you sought Government aid to move from the side of that mountain?

If you have not, then your posts are akin to someone living near the equator and complaining about the blistering heat. :D

I would suggest that you come to terms with the fact that living at 656 feet above sea level, you are going to get extreme conditions. If you don't like this, then move on. Last time I checked, we live in a free democracy.

Sweet love to all and may spring blossomth forth for mankind and may God hold us all in his palm of his hand like in times of yore

Snow, so lovely yet so deadly.

Spring in the offiing yet seemeth so far.

Young chicklings run from cover of snow.

The ice melteth and then some more.

Winter fading but not forgotten.

D

Young person; You need to do more research before writing this kind of thing.

You are doing what the psychs call"transference""; reacting emotionally to how YOU would feel in this situation.

Which is not the same as our experience etc.

Seeing simple observations on a chosen way of life, lived in remote areas for over three decades , as "distress" were you to be living up here we have no doubt that you would be distressed!

We are not. This is a chosen lifestyle. We actually came up here only 5 months ago having been flooded out of another remote cottage.

Example; if I write that while walking the dogs in the inches of icy slush out there in the field now, I discover the.... interesting.. way that one of my wellies is leaking? Not a complaint or distress; simply an observation.

Experiential learning;)

It might seem so to you; all it is here is to note to add new wellies to the list and find a poly bag meanwhile.

You see the point here? May as well suggest to Scott to stop grousing re the cold etc.

These are observations - period. Life in rural Ireland in an extremely harsh winter, that has had moments of utter beauty that tear the heart while the feet freeze:)

That we have shared here often.

As are Min's accounts in January of the struggle to keep his cattle in water, or countless others in similar situations. Not complaints; observations is all.

This is a lifestyle that very few would choose or be content in. It is also one that calls for honesty and reality.

As a published writer and poet, of course my view is different; the mockery we see in your mail is uncalled for.

And you can always add me to your ignore list as we will you to ours.

Smiling at the idea of any official help with housing!

If we do ever move, it will be to somewhere even higher and more isolated and secluded. Maybe this time with a bath and better heating, but we tak what comes.

Meanwhile, not stirring far from the door today; hailiboys often hitting. And wellies no longer waterproof!!!

Roads are clear I think but staying home this week now; Sacred Triduum starts late tonight.

sorry about the quality of the pic just snapped this from the office window
    the bluestacks do look pretty covered in snow (thankfully roads were clear this morn
    109296.jpg

Glorious image; thank you... Slightly different aspect from here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

barney 20v wrote: »
    Might i direct you to post #55 in this thread.. it goes something like this..
    "I personally do not care about the hardships snow causes...why? I don't drive, I'm not a farmer and I'm a selfish bast*rd.

I just find that it calms the mind and is pretty. "
    A true weather fanatic eh snow ghost...

I'd just like everyone to know that that post was born in frustration to people who come on boards just like barney and graces (rightly voicing your opinions, that's fine), kind of ruining it for the people excited by the fact that its going to snow. It's a weather forum you know, and the fact that people write in about snow/snow potential adds in to the fun. I was horribly mean/wrong to write that, but it just annoys me when people spoil the fun. Same goes for Graces: this is not a Spring and warmth poetry competition, but a Spring snow potential thread. I apologize to all the farmers and motorists of the country (and of the world) who are affected by adverse weather conditions that pose a threat to their animals/lives.

Ciao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just been out, since soon after midnight, as collie decided to go walkabout when we let the dogs out to go pee.

Vanished in the blizzard.

We came in plastered with snow; blizzarding all night but thankfully not sticking, and chilled to the bone.

Left all the lights on while preparing to go back out.

Dog is thankfully safe.

But a wild, wild night out there and heaven help any critter caught out in it. Snow sweeping across the back field in great stinging swathes.

Freezes the eyeballs.

Seems glancing at some post that caring re others is not approved here by some? Well, tough.

We care deeply.

And that spring and warmth and beauty are ??? Really....

These are nature and weather also.

If you really want these extremes, move to Iceland etc.

As for eg Mongolia? We spend our lives here and every waking moment working to raise funds for those who truly have nothing; hence another concern re the weather.

Because we cannot earn in these conditions.

And that lacerates us deeply.

It is after all small use making these points if you are doing nothing to alleviate the suffering of others.

And no we are not farmers. And we judge not farmers as you do. Anyone out in this blizzard is in danger. Period.

Many like Min work very hard for little monetary gain.

Anyone on a pension is suffering from cold in this kind of weather. Fuel poverty...

We endure, but there is no pleasure in it. And we are well prepared up here; cities are actually more dangerous than mountains in these extreme conditions.

Because we are fully aware of the reality of the conditions. That snow is more than pretty pictures.

So we work on as the banshee gale smashes snow against the windows.

Lights are flickering.

Sitting it out as we have always done.

Blessings and peace to all out there; please take care and stay safe.

Over and out....Power is failing now.

I'd just like everyone to know that that post was born in frustration to people who come on boards just like barney and graces (rightly voicing your opinions, that's fine), kind of ruining it for the people excited by the fact that its going to snow. It's a weather forum you know, and the fact that people write in about snow/snow potential adds in to the fun. I was horribly mean/wrong to write that, but it just annoys me when people spoil the fun. Same goes for Graces: this is not a Spring poetry competition, but a Spring snow potential thread. I apologize to all the farmers and motorists of the country (and of the world) who are affected by adverse weather conditions that pose a threat to their animals/lives.

Graces,

In fairness haven't noticed any uncaring from anyone here - more an interest in the weather... and we must remember that if people didn't have an interest in the weather - as people here do - then we'd have no weather science / knowledge and we'd all be more at risk from the elements without any prior warning of what may happen.

And to put things into perspective, we live in what is probably one of the most blessed climates on the planet without any real extremes of weather - we have plenty of water; a scarcity in most of the World; plenty of lush grass to feed livestock, excellent soil and growing conditions for a variety of crops and we are also are a relatively wealthy nation with a generous social welfare system.

I've lived in a country and known farmers when a 100 mile fire front was speeding across their land, burning down towns, killing their neighbours and threatening to engulf them - that is extreme weather, yet still they got on with it and didn't moan. In normal conditions the same farmers have virtually no water for their livestock and about as much grass in a few hundred acres as the average householder in Ireland would have in 2 metre square of land to feed their cattle.

We don't know how lucky we are... the same farmers would love this weather and be grateful for the water it brings to their scorched dust-bowl earth.

Pain is pain and loss is loss, wherever it is and however worse off others are.

Telling anyone this is not help in times of loss.

And many of us work long and hard to ease the pain of others in those situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

:pac: snow day?

Did you get much snow yesterday Jerry? I read a few waterford posters saying it was full-on there yesterday.

Fair play to Waterford getting some anyway.

Was nice see it snowing heavy last night near the coast but was never going to hang around to long once it stopped as temp never got lower than +.05. Hills and mountains did well though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

Havn't had time to read all the posts here but had to leave the house at 7am this morning to travel to the midlands. Lucky I threw a spade in the boot. The small road from our house was blocked twice by 4ft drifts that seemed to be blown over the hedges from the fields. Was -0.3c when I was leaving and blizzards. Perfect temp for snow.

Once I got down to Bray, there was no sign of the snow. No snow to be seen in Dublin and Kildare but in Westmeath there was a good covering.

This seems to have been an elevation and location event.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Hailstone shower here in Limerick at the moment, sky is very dark....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭GTE

Sunny sunny sunny and windy here in North Kildare/South Meath.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Pain is pain and loss is loss, wherever it is and however worse off others are.

Telling anyone this is not help in times of loss.

And many of us work long and hard to ease the pain of others in those situations.

Graces, putting things into perspective is putting things into perspective, as I did... my grandmother who was a farmer lived all her life on the side of a mountain - when Ireland was truly in the economic doldrums without a generous social welfare system - would be turning in her grave at some of the self-centered whining and moaning at how hard done by people are apparently nowadays.

She got on with things and took the weather as it came - because she had enough intelligence to know that she couldn't change it, she probably also thought how lucky she was that she wasn't around during the famine as her grandparents may have been. And she didn't complain because Old Moore's alnamac had predicted snow.

And most farmers in Ireland get on with it, and fair play to them, I don't see them moaning here, even though the weather can have an adverse affect on their livliehood. I only see people moaning for them.

Personally I prefer seeing interesting weather rather than contrived 'cry me a river' crocodile tears.

Was nice see it snowing heavy last night near the coast but was never going to hang around to long once it stopped as temp never got lower than +.05. Hills and mountains did well though!

Good to hear that Jerry - as according to reports here Waterford seemed to be the snowless capital of Ireland for the rest of the winter, when we were all getting a bit! :)

Good to hear that Jerry - as according to reports here Waterford seemed to be the snowless capital of Ireland for the rest of the winter, when we were all getting a bit! :)

Passed the torch onto Cork :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Fierce hail shower passing through. Very squally too. :eek:

Edit. Stopped again. Can see a black wall of hail heading this way, should be here in a second!!!!

Edit Edit: Snow rather than hail. Clearing rapidly from the NW

Passed the torch onto Cork :D

Good enough for the Corkonians! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

This thread is getting a bit long and straying off topic a bit so continue here:)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055870851
    On topic please

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement