Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Back to rain here in Dublin.... :(

Im in work and cant see outside so i have no idea whats going on but its feckin cold:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Good bit of fall in D18. Very 'wet' though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

In ballymount here just headed outside **** wet day out snow is dying off only slight tiny amount now just cold and wet weather lovely lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

rain again and temp/dew point up also 1.9/0.6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

jambofc wrote: »
    rain again and temp/dew point up also 1.9/0.6

I'm jualst waiting to later cuz colder air won't be in til then thats why it's only snowing on hills.. What happened to wind... We might not get our blizzard!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I love the hyped boards.ie thread title and warnings though!! It's just a typically miserable ****ty crappy springter day where I am.

(Ok I know it's going to get a bit windy later but honestly did anyone expect a winter wonderland this morning?)

PauloMN wrote: »
    I love the hyped boards.ie thread title and warnings though!! It's just a typically miserable ****ty crappy springter day where I am.

(Ok I know it's going to get a bit windy later but honestly did anyone expect a winter wonderland this morning?)

No not Tull later if it f'in changes I think it won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Nice sunshine & a balmy 4.8 c here !. The rainfall animation shows the circulation with the rain in the east heading north & the showers in the west heading south.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No it's tonight it's expected not last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Of course there are different types of posters here...rampers, pessimists, etc. but the differing opinions is what makes things interesting. This is not Met Eireann so people can afford to be a bit more subjective.

However I dont think I saw anyone suggesting a 'winter wonderland'. You may not have gotten much where you are but at relatively low levels it was lashing snow this morning in Dublin...which for 30th March is rare to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

light wet snow shower here at mo:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Live in Meath, work in Dublin. Both were just ****ty this morning with some heavy sleet on the way to work. It's just miserable.

Honestly not having a go, I just get a giggle from the threads sometimes. "Severe winter storm" and "take care" warnings just feeds peoples' appetites and we'll get page after page of (yet again) disappointed posters talking about snow shields holding, rain, sleet and... well nothing really.

Take care you don't get wet is the only warning I'd issue today!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Tis all sleety and horrible here in Clontarf at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

18_30.gif

Blizzard conditions for most tonight. ATM in Dublin City Center rain and sleet after morning snow.

The setup is absolutely perfect for the time of year

Rtavn182.png

P.S don't be thinking this is the event I was talking about. It's this evening and tonight that will be severe snow wise.

And also to prove my point to Su Campu who, wrongly, stated that we need sub -7 for snow to low levels in a frontal situation. We don't.

Rtavn062.png

I hope he has taken on board the point I was trying to make about this as demonstrated by the snow this morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Damp cold grey morning in Newbridge ,

Temp 2.7

DP 1.7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Damp cold grey morning in Newbridge ,

Is that not every morning in Newbridge ? lol

darkman2 wrote: »
    18_30.gif

Blizzard conditions for most tonight. ATM in Dublin City Center rain and sleet after morning snow.

Rtavn182.png

P.S don't be thinking this is the event I was talking about. It's this evening and tonight that will be severe snow wise.
    When shoild turn to snow??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

darkman2 wrote: »
    18_30.gif

Rtavn182.png

And also to prove my point to Su Campu who, wrongly, stated that we need sub -7 for snow to low levels in a frontal situation. We don't.

Rtavn062.png

I hope he has taken on board the point I was trying to make about this as demonstrated by the snow this morning.

If fairness to Su ,

He came in this morning to admit he was wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Snowing here in Navan, was really heavy earlier but is only slightly sticking on grass and cars etc. Too wet and slushy on the paths.

Live in Meath, work in Dublin. Both were just ****ty this morning with some heavy sleet on the way to work. It's just miserable.

Honestly not having a go, I just get a giggle from the threads sometimes. "Severe winter storm" and "take care" warnings just feeds peoples' appetites and we'll get page after page of (yet again) disappointed posters talking about snow shields holding, rain, sleet and... well nothing really.

Take care you don't get wet is the only warning I'd issue today!

Remember not everyone lives at sea level so take care warnings are very appropiate for people like Grace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No snow or anything near cos its sunny out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Ok since 9 o clock this morning we have had a inch of lying snow, the roads are in a serious condition already and its still coming down hard. If this lasts all day it will be no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

I find this a good site for precipitation predicting(thanks wolfe). it seems later that there will be a lot of precipitation heading south with heavier bursts inland as opposed to the east coast as earlier predicted. still not cast in stone yet.

mike65 wrote: »
    No snow or anything near cos its sunny out.

Sleety wet snow early this morning Mike, could see the snow in the fields on the hills of south KK on way to work. Tonight should be interesting as normally you'd expect Waterford to be the last place to get snow from a northerly never mind almost April :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

Any reports from around the Hell Fire Club, Montpelier Hill area??? Is the snow sticking up on the mountain??? Planning a walk up there later...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Ok since 9 o clock this morning we have had a inch of lying snow, the roads are in a serious condition already and its still coming down hard. If this lasts all day it will be no joke.

its snow joke! (more common term used for such difficulties) sunny skies down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Here's a couple of pertinent observations:

The Met Office has only issues a warning for very heavy rain through today with snow on mountains for everywhere except Derry and Tyrone. There, the Met Office gave the same forecast except for some accumulations of snow above 500 feet asl, with significant accumulations above 1000 feet.

Also, the LP is not moving towards Cumbria/Lancashire or even simply past the Isle of Mann quickly enough based on what we've seen and on immediate forecasts. Therefore, I would expect dewpoints to rise before they fall again on the east coast, at least until perhaps after midnight. This could be crucial in that much of the precipitation will be over by that stage. I think that places roughly along a line from Monaghan to Laois will see the heaviest falls in low-lying areas.

Knowing my luck, being 150 metres asl near the east coast will just let me see heavy sleet:pac: It's probably not worthwhile paying home a visit just for that...

I've attached a chart which illustrates the warm air along the north Leinster coast.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

MrDarcy wrote: »
    Any reports from around the Hell Fire Club, Montpelier Hill area??? Is the snow sticking up on the mountain??? Planning a walk up there later...

Definitely snow sticking up there (as there is snow on the ground here and I'm a couple of hundred feet lower). I'd say 3 to 4 inches at least at this stage as there were reports this morning of 3 inches at Glencullen (at similar height). I'd plan a walk somewhere else as I'd say roads up will be hairy.

Still snowing here albeit very wet snow. 1.9c DP 1.7c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Su Campu

Well, I suppose with it snowing at low levels, it's time to fess up that I was wrong to not trust the models. They were saying it all along but I thought there were reasons to believe they were overdoing it. I guess we CAN get good snow at this time of the year!

Now to see if it will stick though.....

Your right not to trust the models all the time. But there was pretty solid agreement all along. Enjoy the snow and let us never speak of it again:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hotwhiskey wrote: »

stop hoarding it all for yourself. the selfishness of some people, really:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement