Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

bullology wrote: »
    I was meticulous in my application form and cannot see another solution for a better photo given options like home-made or photo booth or Spectra Photo who had also produced my previous passport photo, I assumed 3 working days inc tomorrow was enough margin for error even in peak season! I also assumed the problems the passport office was having a few years ago had been resolved by new measures inc enhanced staffing levels during known busy periods and an extra office in Cork.

There was probably nothing wrong with your form. In peak season someone might not get around to looking at your application until the 9th or 10th day. There's a problem with your photos. Lets say I call you on Monday evening, after the post has gone. I won't get your new photos now until Wednesday (unless you call into the office on Tuesday). I approve your passport on Wednesday and it arrives into the office on Thursday. It goes out out in the post on Thursday and you get it on Friday. You could have it on Thursday if you called to the office to collect it (or Wednesday if you were in a position to call into the office on Tuesday to give me the photos and also to collect it on Wednesday). Being able to call into the office twice in 2 days might not suit a lot of people though. That's 3 to 5 days right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bullology

Nope. The 10 day guarantee only applies when everything is in order with a passport application. It wasn't in your case.

If someone from the passport office tells you they will hold something on their desk until you send them in something they are doing you a favour. If they want they could just reject your application, send a letter saying what's wrong and wait for you to send in what's wrong/missing which re-sets the 10 days.

If they are holding your application (not rejecting it), they are just waiting on you to submit new photos.

Ok thanks for the info.... How long after I submit the new (same lol) photos will I have to wait to get my hands on the passport do ya think?

Ok thanks for the info.... How long after I submit the new (same lol) photos will I have to wait to get my hands on the passport do ya think?

3 working days I'd imagine. The photos will arrive in the post and the checker will get them scanned on. If everything is grand they'll approve. The passport will arrive into the office the next morning and you should have it the next day. You could probably get it in 2 days if you were in a position to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I posted my express passport renewal on the 24th April and was assured i would have it in 9/10 work days by the An Post Service Operative. 9 working days later my passport is still on the checking stage when tracked - 10 days later today Monday 12th I get a call from the passport office to say my passport has been refused due to shadows under my eyes..... I thought this was a prank to be honest but no I needed new pictures even though I had gone to a professional photo shop specifically for passport photos! My once in a lifetime holiday to Orlando begins tomorrow without me! Why would they wait till the 10th working day to tell me the photos aren't acceptable? How can our public servants be so efficient sending out TV licence reminders and totally incompetent dealing with people's rights to travel? Bottom line - our public services leave alot to be desired! I don't care if they are busy - aren't we all at this time of year?

What about the ESTA requirements? I don't know if you can apply for an ESTA when you don't have a current Passport. That would mean you would have needed the new Passport at least 3 days in advance.

http://www.esta.ie/
    Since January 12, 2009 Irish citizens entering the United States under the Visa Waiver Program have been required to apply for ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) ... The U.S. government recommends that all Irish applicants apply for ESTA at least 72 hours prior to traveling to the United States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Bicycle wrote: »
    Just as an FYI for those using the Passport Express option.

Four passport renewals (2 over 18, 2 under 18) were posted on the 14th April (the Monday before Easter) and were received back today the 1st May.

So they were posted on Working Day 10 (there were 2 bank holidays in between).

I'm very happy with the turnaround given that the local Garda Station was like Passport Grand Central with people needing signatures when we were there!!

Working day ten for mine and "is being checked" according to the online system. Went to "is being checked" yesterday. Better hurry up am due to fly at the weekend!

Tried to ring them earlier - just an automated system saying they are too busy, goodbye!!

pavelpro wrote: »
    Status approved appear on my passport application yesterday evening, today it still the same as approved...
    Any chance to get passport by Friday evening (tomorrow) as i am flying on Saturday morning.
    Any thoughts?

I already sent email to passport office asking to collect it anytime today or tomorrow, so far no response.

Did you get it in time? In a similar position myself, flying on Saturday and it has not even been approved yet! Issue date is supposed to be today!

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Don't know if this helps but mine was received on the 29th of April, its now being checked but the issue date is 13th. I doubt I will get it tomorrow as its still to be approved.
    Mine is due for issue tomorrow and still at checking stage. So glad I didn't book a ticket for this Friday although it would be nice to see the other half. Bugger!
    Will be interesting to see when I actually get it.

Hi Mince Pie is yours still "being checked". I`m on the same schedule as you (received 29th, issue date the 13th).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 roundone

Is there any way whereby you can go in and collect the passport rather than have to wait for it to be posted?

roundone wrote: »
    Is there any way whereby you can go in and collect the passport rather than have to wait for it to be posted?

Call passport office customer care and ask them to put a note on your application that you would like to collect it.

• Advertisement

Call passport office customer care and ask them to put a note on your application that you would like to collect it.

Thank you. Do you work there? You seem to know lots about the passport office!

Thank you. Do you work there? You seem to know lots about the passport office!

Maybe ;)

Maybe ;)

Ha ha! You don't happen to know the number then?

Ha ha! You don't happen to know the number then?

Ha, believe it or not I don't know it off the top of my head. I'm not in customer care.

Try 01 6711633 if your application is in Dublin.

Try 021 4944700 if it's in Cork.

I'd try calling early. I'd say the customer care phones lines are bananas at the moment.

Ha, believe it or not I don't know it off the top of my head. I'm not in customer care.

I'd try calling early. I'd say the customer care phones lines are bananas at the moment.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

I've been ringing Dublin all day yesterday and today and all I'm getting us "due to the volume of calks, we cannot answer, goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CantonaIsGod

Hi John. We are going on holidays on May 31. We just realised this evening may 13th that we may have left it very late for getting passport for 8 month old daughter. We live reasonably near to passport office in Cork. What are my best options tomorrow May 14th. Use passport express or do all dealings in the office directly. Baby is getting her first ever passport. Please advise as we are freaking out here that we won't have a passport in time.

Hi John. We are going on holidays on May 31. We just realised this evening may 13th that we may have left it very late for getting passport for 8 month old daughter. We live reasonably near to passport office in Cork. What are my best options tomorrow May 14th. Use passport express or do all dealings in the office directly. Baby is getting her first ever passport. Please advise as we are freaking out here that we won't have a passport in time.

Hi Cantona, I'm not really too up on first time child applications. They aren't as straight forward as adults. I'd go with the counter but before you go there get an application form and fill out. You and your partner will have to submit your passports with your daughter's application as well as it will be her first application. You will also need to submit her original long form birth certificate (not a photocopy). If you don't have it get it as there's no way she's getting a passport without one. When you are filling out the consent (Section 7), make sure you get it witnessed by the gardaí. Other types of witnesses are acceptable but there's just less messing around when it's witnessed by the guards. The guards can also witness Section 9 of the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bullology

Has anyone here actually had their express passport renewal back inside 10 works days or is that just a smokescreen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Has anyone here actually had their express passport renewal back inside 10 works days or is that just a smokescreen?
    Yes. I got mine back in eight days last december, but it's critical that you read the entire form, then check and recheck that you have everything, AND don't wait until everyone is going on holidays wanting their passports.

My passport status changed to Approved this morning.

Do you think I will have it by Friday?

I live in the Greater Dublin area so postage would typically take one day.

I suppose if the status doesn`t change by tommorrow morning I could ring and try collect it? But it could be in the postbags by then!

I wonder do An Post have a backlog of post with the two bank holidays in quick succession recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Hi Mince Pie is yours still "being checked". I`m on the same schedule as you (received 29th, issue date the 13th).

Hi, was just coming to post that mine went to "Passport is printed" this morning. :D

will update once I've received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FranB18

Hi I was wondering does anyone know how strict they are with childrens passport photographs? My two year old has her mouth open in hers but shes not smiling, she was talking I think (most likely saying "no!" haha) Myself and 3 others in the shop tried for 15mins to get a closed mouth one but no luck. Then the lady in the PO thought my son wasn't totally centered in his - he has autism and tbh we were lucky to get a good pic he hates the camera. Would it be worth contacting the office and explaining these difficulties or is it pointless? Will they get rejected?

Hi, was just coming to post that mine went to "Passport is printed" this morning. :D

will update once I've received it.

and passport tracking number posted now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FranB18

Oh forgot to say we are in NI so expecting a delay anyway I think it says 20 working days, we are travelling in 6 weeks

and passport tracking number posted now!

Mine was updated at lunchtime to "Passport is Printed".

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Mine was updated at lunchtime to "Passport is Printed".

check after 6pm and you might have a tracking number then. Think they update about 4 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 chimemark

Application received on 30/04/2014. Issue date 14/05/2014 (today). Tracking status just now:

"Application No. xxxxxxx. Received on 30/04/2014 and has been registered."

10 working days and counting......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭tennis12

chimemark wrote: »
    Application received on 30/04/2014. Issue date 14/05/2014 (today). Tracking status just now:

"Application No. xxxxxxx. Received on 30/04/2014 and has been registered."

10 working days and counting......

Dublin or cork office?
    Waiting on mine, on the 5th working day and need it for the 23rd.
    Says issue date will be the 21st....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement