Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Thanks Mince Pie, can you let me know when you receive it as this will give me an idea of the turnaround time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

celticbest wrote: »
    Thanks Mince Pie, can you let me know when you receive it as this will give me an idea of the turnaround time.

No worries, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

My passport is due to expire in July. I will not be travelling until next year.

If I renew next year, will the passport be backdated to July or start afresh from new renewal date in 2015 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

royster999 wrote: »
    My passport is due to expire in July. I will not be travelling until next year.

If I renew next year, will the passport be backdated to July or start afresh from new renewal date in 2015 ?
    starts from the date you renew it, it's not an nct!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Ha, nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 roundone

I think I may have made a mistake in using passport express. Is there any way to hurry up the process once you have already submitted your documents?
    I sent them all in on Fri 9th (probably only arrived today though) and we travel on Sat 24th so cutting it very very fine!
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Mine was posted on the 16th of April and received last Tuesday. So taking into account Good Friday/Easter Monday/ May bank hol, it was received on the 10th working day!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bullology

I posted my express passport renewal on the 24th April and was assured i would have it in 9/10 work days by the An Post Service Operative. 9 working days later my passport is still on the checking stage when tracked - 10 days later today Monday 12th I get a call from the passport office to say my passport has been refused due to shadows under my eyes..... I thought this was a prank to be honest but no I needed new pictures even though I had gone to a professional photo shop specifically for passport photos! My once in a lifetime holiday to Orlando begins tomorrow without me! Why would they wait till the 10th working day to tell me the photos aren't acceptable? How can our public servants be so efficient sending out TV licence reminders and totally incompetent dealing with people's rights to travel? Bottom line - our public services leave alot to be desired! I don't care if they are busy - aren't we all at this time of year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Can anyone help. I need to renew my daughters passport in a hurry. The application form say it needs to be a long form birth cert.

[I]From HSE website
    All certificates are a standard format - where in the past 'long' and 'short' form certificates were available, since 2003 all certificates contain a standardised amount of information and would be the equivalent to what was previously called a 'long form' certificate.[/I]

The HSE says long is now called standard since 2003 but the application form I have was revised in 2013 and is asking for long form.

well that's good to hear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Mine is due for issue tomorrow and still at checking stage. So glad I didn't book a ticket for this Friday although it would be nice to see the other half. Bugger!
    Will be interesting to see when I actually get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

roundone wrote: »
    I think I may have made a mistake in using passport express. Is there any way to hurry up the process once you have already submitted your documents?
    I sent them all in on Fri 9th (probably only arrived today though) and we travel on Sat 24th so cutting it very very fine!
    Thank you.

I did the exact same!! I've been ringing all day and it keeps saying they're not answering calls, I checked the website and someone must have cancelled an appt because I got one for Wednesday afternoon. Will let you know how I get on.

I did see a bit on the website about the process not allowing to be speeded up once it's submitted :mad:

I checked the tracking and it's saying "Unable find any record for application number "
    I don't think that's a good sign....

So when you go in on Wednesday will all your paperwork already be in the passport office?
    Please do let me know how you get on!
    I've just tried tracking mine and it says the same thing :(
    Like you said, it's not looking great!

Mrs W wrote: »
    I did the exact same!! I've been ringing all day and it keeps saying they're not answering calls, I checked the website and someone must have cancelled an appt because I got one for Wednesday afternoon. Will let you know how I get on.

I did see a bit on the website about the process not allowing to be speeded up once it's submitted :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

My daughters passport is up in August, but where going in July and will be back at the end of the month, will she be allowed to fly in Europe.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

bullology wrote: »
    I posted my express passport renewal on the 24th April and was assured i would have it in 9/10 work days by the An Post Service Operative. 9 working days later my passport is still on the checking stage when tracked - 10 days later today Monday 12th I get a call from the passport office to say my passport has been refused due to shadows under my eyes..... I thought this was a prank to be honest but no I needed new pictures even though I had gone to a professional photo shop specifically for passport photos! My once in a lifetime holiday to Orlando begins tomorrow without me! Why would they wait till the 10th working day to tell me the photos aren't acceptable? How can our public servants be so efficient sending out TV licence reminders and totally incompetent dealing with people's rights to travel? Bottom line - our public services leave alot to be desired! I don't care if they are busy - aren't we all at this time of year?

Did you book that once in a lifetime holiday on 24th April too? Sorry to seem unsympathetic but I think it's naiive to not leave some wiggle room when applying for a passport, since we've gone biometric it's becoming quite common for problems to be found with applications, usually photos. https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/photo-guidelines/

roundone wrote: »
    So when you go in on Wednesday will all your paperwork already be in the passport office?
    Please do let me know how you get on!
    I've just tried tracking mine and it says the same thing :(
    Like you said, it's not looking great!

Hopefully so, technically the appointments service is for people applying for passports so I'm afraid they'll tell me to piss off:(

I must admit I didn't read the section on photos because I leave that in the capable hands of the photographer to ensure my photo is generic enough to meet all the guidelines mentioned and I was asked to lift my chin etc...... I couldn't believe 10 years had passed on my previous passport when I resurrected it three weeks ago in preparation! My issue is the fact that I could have opted for the three day passport if I thought there was any chance of going over 10 working days but as per the dfa Current Turnaround times for Express Renewals are 9/10 days by the way this "guarantee" was given on the 7th of May 8 working days into my application!

Hopefully so, technically the appointments service is for people applying for passports so I'm afraid they'll tell me to piss off:(

I hope they don't.
    Fingers crossed for you. (and me!)

They probably won't tell you to PO but I'm pretty sure they will try to charge you in full again €95 Please Mrs W!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Don't know if this helps but mine was received on the 29th of April, its now being checked but the issue date is 13th. I doubt I will get it tomorrow as its still to be approved.

It really depends on when someone looks at it and that depends on how busy the office where it is is. If it has an issue date of May 13th, someone probably won't approve it until tomorrow. If it's approved tomorrow before 1pm it'll probably go out in the post on May 14th and you'll get it on May 15th.

They probably won't tell you to PO but I'm pretty sure they will try to charge you in full again €95 Please Mrs W!

I'd rather pay that than have to pay my airfare again.

This kind of attitude really bugs the crap out of me! Nobody probably got around to telling you until the 10th day because the passport offices are so busy this time of year. 50% of the year's work of the passport office will be done in May, June and July. Nobody is interfering with your rights to travel, you should have applied for you passport in good time while building in an allowance for something to go wrong. People never seem to make allowances for things going wrong. Also, going to a professional photo shop is no guarantee that your photos will be acceptable for a passport. You said yourself you didn't even read the photo guidelines.

It really depends on when someone looks at it and that depends on how busy the office where it is is. If it has an issue date of May 13th, someone probably won't approve it until tomorrow. If it's approved tomorrow before 1pm it'll probably go out in the post on May 14th and you'll get it on May 15th.

My issue date was 09/05/2013 and still is......

My issue date was 09/05/2013 and still is......

If your photos aren't suitable your application should have been rejected. Unless the person dealing with your application is doing you a favour and holding it until you send in new photos. In that case they are waiting on you to send in new photos so they can issue the passport.

If they officially reject your application, the 10 day guarantee no longer applies (strictly speaking they should have done it). When you send in new photos, it goes back to a 10 working day wait.

They already have my old passport, marriage cert, baby's birth cert and €115 so I can't even submit new applications. They can go and ****e if they think they're getting another 95!!

This kind of attitude really bugs the crap out of me! Nobody probably got around to telling you until the 10th day because the passport offices are so busy this time of year. 50% of the year's work of the passport office will be done in May, June and July. Nobody is interfering with your rights to travel, you should have applied for you passport in good time while building in an allowance for something to go wrong. People never seem to make allowances for things going wrong. Also, going to a professional photo shop is no guarantee that your photos will be acceptable for a passport. You said yourself you didn't even read the photo guidelines.

I was meticulous in my application form and cannot see another solution for a better photo given options like home-made or photo booth or Spectra Photo who had also produced my previous passport photo, I assumed 3 working days inc tomorrow was enough margin for error even in peak season! I also assumed the problems the passport office was having a few years ago had been resolved by new measures inc enhanced staffing levels during known busy periods and an extra office in Cork.

If your photos aren't suitable your application should have been rejected. Unless the person dealing with your application is doing you a favour and holding it until you send in new photos. In that case they are waiting on you to send in new photos so they can issue the passport.

If they officially reject your application, the 10 day guarantee no longer applies (strictly speaking they should have done it). When you send in new photos, it goes back to a 10 working day wait.

Are u shi**ing me?

They already have my old passport, marriage cert, baby's birth cert and €115 so I can't even submit new applications. They can go and ****e if they think they're getting another 95!!

If they let you change from Passport Express to Counter applications they'll only charge the difference between the two.

• Advertisement

Are u shi**ing me?

Nope. The 10 day guarantee only applies when everything is in order with a passport application. It wasn't in your case.

If someone from the passport office tells you they will hold something on their desk until you send them in something they are doing you a favour. If they want they could just reject your application, send a letter saying what's wrong and wait for you to send in what's wrong/missing which re-sets the 10 days.

If they are holding your application (not rejecting it), they are just waiting on you to submit new photos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement