Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish people so ugly?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

SugarHigh wrote: »

About 20 - 25% of Icelanders may have Irish ancestry (going way back), they have a genetic marker common in irish people. I think it may have to do with old Scandanavian routes as they moved Westward to Iceland.
    She's bloody hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

We probably didn't have them nice woolly hoods to protect us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Kanye wrote: »
    107449.JPG

(^^^If you type "why" into google.ie. For some reason, typing "why" then space this question moves up one.)

I was having a conversation with a stunning girl from Cork (i.e. not really Ireland) about why people from Ireland are ugly. The conversation originated from a Romanian (i.e. not Roma) taxi driver with extensive knowledge.

I'm ruddy-faced, hairy and pale but still incredibly beautiful by international standards. So, what's the story?

Edit: link fixed.

Why? You. Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

When I type why into Google the first option is 'why does everyone want to be irish?'

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

What suggestions do you get when you type 'why' into your browser search box?

Why are Mexicans stupid?
    Why are Mexicans ugly?
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    (google.ie in Spain)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Well, when you have the likes of Brian Cowen and Mary Harney in the dail running the place, is it any wonder that others think we're all ugly feckers? :rolleyes:

The fact RTE and TV3 seem to have a very lose definition of beauty at times doesn't help either!

But more seriously, everywhere has their fair share of beauties and beasts. I've seen some gorgeous Irish girls as well as the.... not so pretty ones.

As for myself, I'm no Brad Pitt or whoever is the supposed ' hottest guy ' right now but I'm in no way a ugly person either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I can't see whats wrong with being ugly anyway!
    I have a face like the back of a donkeys arse, still don't stop the wife from riding my bones every night like a good thing!
    Yee...haa...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Biggins wrote: »
    I can't see whats wrong with being ugly anyway!
    I have a face like the back of a donkeys arse, still don't stop the wife from riding my bones every night like a good thing!
    Yee...haa...

:o

and the obligatory:

pics or gtfo!

:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

pics or gtfo!

:p

25r10ex.jpg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Our low genetic diversity increases the chances that reccessive mutations will show themselves (and many of these cause decreased attractiveness). In people with a more diverse genetic heritage many of these ugly genes remain unexpressed giving them a more attractive appearance.

How do you explain countries like Norway then, approx the same population as ireland and well known for their good looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Bolag_the_2nd

carlsberg dont make beautyfull irish people, but if they did....................

I'd consider myself 'ok' looking, a bit above average. I reckon though my gene pool has been mixed more than the average Irish person. Dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, tanned complexion. Oh yeah, and I've got 3 boobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Stacey.x

irish people are the most fit/hot people i know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If I type 'why' into the Google search bar on my browser the top suggestion is 'why are black people so loud' in second place we have 'why can't I own a Canadian' and in a respectable third, 'why is my poop green'

true story

Google really is a mine of information

Not to mention:

why did i get married too
    who do dogs eat poop
    why do cats purr
    why did the chicken cross the road

proof...

If these are the most popular search queries beginning with the word "why", then I'm at a loss for words

Overflow wrote: »
    How do you explain countries like Norway then, approx the same population as ireland and well known for their good looks.

I think Norway would also have some influence on Ireland with the Vikings and all that. The vast majority of Irish ancestry is Iberian. I think with Norway some of the original (post ice age) settlers may have been Iberian, possibly some from what is now Ukraine and I think some from East of Norway, are there Saami in Norway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'm as Irish as bacon & cabbage but very dark

Throught school i was referred to as 'brazilion boy', '******' or 'leroy'

fontanalis wrote: »
    Do you have a family tree going back 400 generations or so?.

Can you trace your family tree back 10,000 years, perhaps you study those books a bit more. A generation is generally accepted as 25 years.

Can you trace your family tree back 10,000 years, perhaps you study those books a bit more. A generation is generally accepted as 25 years.

I know 400 multiplied by 25 gives 10,000 , that was my point and I don't either. I was just interested in what someone means by fully Irish, at what point in history not having someone in Ireland means not fully, pedantic I know.
    Believe me I know I need to study them more and I intedn to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

The Irish aren't ugly at all, they have the same proportion of ugly people as every other nation. What means being "ugly" in a first place? I know people who (in my opinion) are sh1te-looking but at the same time they are in relationships and their OH's find them to be the most beautiful people on the entire planet. As for the girls only, I think that the Irish girls are decent, good looking, funny and I don't care whether they look like Kate Moss or Carmen Electra. So calling a person "ugly" is very subjective and absolutely should not be raised in relation to a whole nation.

I think Norway would also have some influence on Ireland with the Vikings and all that. The vast majority of Irish ancestry is Iberian. I think with Norway some of the original (post ice age) settlers may have been Iberian, possibly some from what is now Ukraine and I think some from East of Norway, are there Saami in Norway?

i see, yes there are Saami people in norway, they have a very distinct look about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

By modern standards beauty equates to a slim body, tanned skin, etc. We have a hard time naturally lookin like that because of a combination of a dairy / fat rich diet, a drink culture which makes us the biggest drinkers in europe if not the world (and dont forget the post pub trip to supermacs!) and we only get sunshine for one week in May.............every 2nd year. So why should we be surprised when we are a nation of pasty faced, freckly, pot bellied fúckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Irish women are some of the most beautiful in the world - but the lads, jaysis the tide wouldn't take some of yiz out!! (I can say this because I am a trim, tanned Adonis!)

I know 400 multiplied by 25 gives 10,000 , that was my point and I don't either. I was just interested in what someone means by fully Irish, at what point in history not having someone in Ireland means not fully, pedantic I know.
    Believe me I know I need to study them more and I intedn to.

Ah my mistake, apologies :)

Ah my mistake, apologies :)

No probs, the question wasn't very clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'm fully Irish on both sides

Left and right ???:eek:
    Stacey.x wrote: »
    irish people are the most fit/hot people i know. :)
    You need to get out more.

Why are Irish people so ugly ? Easy.
    Well I think so is a bit of a stretch. But Irish people are uggo's because we are fat alcoholics who don't exercise enough. End of. Fix that and there would be stunners left right and centre (male and female).

Whats a more important question is: if and Irish peron has the good fortune to catch the right strain of worms to keep them good-looking depsite the alcohol and lack of exercise, why is it that they become the most obnoxious self-important f*cks you can ever meet. In my experisnce good looking people in other countries don't do this.

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    The Irish aren't ugly at all, they have the same proportion of ugly people as every other nation. What means being "ugly" in a first place? I know people who (in my opinion) are sh1te-looking but at the same time they are in relationships and their OH's find them to be the most beautiful people on the entire planet. As for the girls only, I think that the Irish girls are decent, good looking, funny and I don't care whether they look like Kate Moss or Carmen Electra. So calling a person "ugly" is very subjective and absolutely should not be raised in relation to a whole nation.

I see your point but you're coming from the 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' angle, which is all well and good. But if we're to be clinical here, we are probably on the lower side of average in the looks department (as a nation I mean)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, Irish people are beautiful. I think you just have too many mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

changes wrote: »
    10,000 years of cold hard wind, constant rain and eating nothing but spuds isn't the ideal conditions for beauty!!
    well technically, we've only been eating spuds for around 450 years;)
    People need to go France and the USA. Holy sh*t is all I can say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I'm as Irish as bacon & cabbage but very dark

Throught school i was referred to as 'brazilion boy', '******' or 'leroy'

is that you philo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The women in Iceland are linked directly to Ireland on a genetic level.

"These studies demonstrated that the country seems indeed to have been settled by men from Scandinavia – the vikings – but that the majority of the original female inhabitants were from the coastal regions of Scotland and Ireland, areas that regularly suffered raids by vikings in the years around the settlement of Iceland 1100 years ago.

Perhaps the most remarkable finding of the study published today is that the gene pool of contemporary Icelanders appears to have evolved rapidly over the intervening thousand years. As a result, the original female settlers are genetically more closely related to the present day populations of Scotland, Ireland and Scandinavia, as well as those of northwestern Europe and even southwestern Europe, than they are to present day Icelanders. This is an important demonstration of a phenomenon known as ‘genetic drift.’ In essence, in any population certain individuals will have more offspring and, by chance and in this case over the course of 35 generations, many more descendants than others. And as a result, particularly in a small population, the genetic variety of the original population can decrease and change over time. In this study only mitochondrial DNA was studied, but the same phenomenon applies to the Y chromosome, which is passed from fathers to sons, and to any other part of the genome. The paper, ‘Sequences from first settlers reveal rapid evolution in Icelandic mtDNA pool,’ is published today in the open-access journal PLOS Genetics"

Source:
    http://decodeyou.com/stories-from-our-foremothers-decode-publishes-an-unparalleled-genetic-snapshot-of-iceland-1000-years-ago/

Here is the link to the original research article in PLOS genetics:

http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pgen.1000343

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement