Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish people so ugly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

What are you talking about. We're gorgeous.

Seriously it's been proven, we came 7th (maybe?) on a list of the most attractive backpackers. I couldn't be arsed to look up the details but I think I heard it on the radio a couple of weeks ago. The figures don't lie people! Not even pale over-weight and freckly Irish figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭Speak Now

JaxxYChicK wrote: »

Seriously it's been proven, we came 7th (maybe?) on a list of the most attractive backpackers. I couldn't be arsed to look up the details but I think I heard it on the radio a couple of weeks ago. The figures don't lie people! Not even pale over-weight and freckly Irish figures.

:D

I should have been a politician. I stand by all of my unconfirmed and vague facts and figures.
    JaxxYChicK wrote:

Especially that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

alanajane wrote: »
    grainne seoige!!!!

God, that mammy! Typically oirish - has a certain appeal but the mammishness is through the roof. Maybe that's it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

orourkeda wrote: »
    We're better looking than the eskimos.

Gee, oddly enough, the inuit or yupik came to my mind too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

We were also voted richest in the world at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Out of Backpackers? Out of how many different nationalities were there?

WindSock wrote: »
    Out of Backpackers? Out of how many different nationalities were there?

Not sure how many in total, but I do remember the Aussies, Swedes and Italians ranked higher than us. I didn't manage to find the original survey results online but during my search I came across this: British Backpackers Linked to STD Increase in Australia. At least we don't have THAT reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Annanas

Kanye wrote: »
    107449.JPG

(^^^If you type "why" into google.ie. For some reason, typing "why" then space this question moves up one.)

I was having a conversation with a stunning girl from Cork (i.e. not really Ireland) about why people from Ireland are ugly. The conversation originated from a Romanian (i.e. not Roma) taxi driver with extensive knowledge.

I'm ruddy-faced, hairy and pale but still incredibly beautiful by international standards. So, what's the story?

Edit: link fixed.

Hey! Irish people are lovely! red hair, freckles....sure it's great!! xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nakedpimp

are we ugly or should the rest of the world gone to specsavers? Personaaly, I fell out of an ugly tree and hit every ugly branch on the way down, really it was beautiful...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Annanas wrote: »
    Hey! Irish people are lovely! red hair, freckles....sure it's great!! xD

Lol love the comment it's funniest I've heard in years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

most irish people arent ugly iam but most arent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

Kanye wrote: »
    107449.JPG

(^^^If you type "why" into google.ie. For some reason, typing "why" then space this question moves up one.)

I was having a conversation with a stunning girl from Cork (i.e. not really Ireland) about why people from Ireland are ugly. The conversation originated from a Romanian (i.e. not Roma) taxi driver with extensive knowledge.

I'm ruddy-faced, hairy and pale but still incredibly beautiful by international standards. So, what's the story?

Edit: link fixed.

Inbreeding, we are one of the most inbred populations on the planet.

And the Vikings took all the good looking women back in the day which didn't help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have red hair, wear glasses, have freckles, am 5ft 2 inches tall, wear size 7 and a half shoes, am 13 stone weight, and i am beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

WildBoots wrote: »
    Inbreeding, we are one of the most inbred populations on the planet.

And the Vikings took all the good looking women back in the day which didn't help matters.

If inbreeding is your theory what about other isolated countries like Sweden, Norway, Iceland etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

profitius wrote: »
    If inbreeding is your theory what about other isolated countries like Sweden, Norway, Iceland etc?

I was told about the high level of inbreeding in Ireland by a doctor who was involved in a fairly large study looking at the subject. I suppose Sweden and Norway aren't islands. Iceland would have had more of an influx of different people from different areas in the past (e.g.Vikings and their captives), plus it's hasn't been colonised as long as other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

WildBoots wrote: »
    I was told about the high level of inbreeding in Ireland by a doctor who was involved in a fairly large study looking at the subject. I suppose Sweden and Norway aren't islands. Iceland would have had more of an influx of different people from different areas in the past (e.g.Vikings and their captives), plus it's hasn't been colonised as long as other countries.

By inbreeding did he mean cousins? And what changes physically would that make? And how does it compare to other rural populations? How did he know, was there studies done or was he just generalising?

Sweden is fairly isolated too. To walk to Sweden and Norway you'd have to walk up through the Baltic states and through Russia and Finland. My point is that Sweden is fairly homogenous like Ireland especially in central Sweden.

Iceland is a mixture of Nordics and Celts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

profitius wrote: »
    By inbreeding did he mean cousins? And what changes physically would that make? And how does it compare to other rural populations? How did he know, was there studies done or was he just generalising?

Sweden is fairly isolated too. To walk to Sweden and Norway you'd have to walk up through the Baltic states and through Russia and Finland. My point is that Sweden is fairly homogenous like Ireland especially in central Sweden.

Iceland is a mixture of Nordics and Celts.

I think Iceland is more nordic, about 25% of their women can trace their ancestry to Ireland (but irish people are more culturally celtic not celtic as in ethnic group/tribe etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JohnWhale

Spanish people are ugly to spanish people! Italians are ugly to theirs, and we all love them!

I actually think we have quite a contrast of peoples, something for everybody! Plenty that every one won't be interested in but plenty that they will! These ugly people you speak of are probably very attractive to someone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You are ugly. Hah! Looks in mirror, checks gauge, pouts, smiles. I ain't ugly. F*ck this thread.. I'm Irish, I'm hadsome & I'm proud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Our low genetic diversity increases the chances that reccessive mutations will show themselves (and many of these cause decreased attractiveness). In people with a more diverse genetic heritage many of these ugly genes remain unexpressed giving them a more attractive appearance.
    in short, we're inbreds!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Hey my cousin thinks I'm sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I don't know about ugly, it might be a little bit too strong but appearance isn't a top priority for many in Ireland and I think a lot of people "let themselves go" at a relatively early age.

I definitely do think that there is a problem with cosanguinity in this country. I come across it frequently at work, that's just anecdotal though, don't know what the figures are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PRDY

what do you mean irish being ugly? we are soooooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Herodotus

Why are Irish people so ugly, you ask?

Simple, there's too much inbreeding on this island - enough said.

Freckles, pale skin, general lankiness - yuck!

Thank god for the free movement of people in Europe.

We need a bigger gene pool. Not to mention a more effective eugenics policy :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Irish people are not ugly. Both myself and my wife have travelled extensively before and since we met each other and we both agree that it comes down to weight. You will find that most Europeans take better care of themselves than the Irish and British. They are slimmer, dress better and don't plaster themselves in make up. Its as simple as that. How many times had you heard people say "oh he/she would be so good looking if he/she lost the weight. If Irish people slimmed down you would be suprised how attractive a race we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

"Beauty is only skin deep.....but ugliness cuts right to the ****ing bone"

Billy Connolly

(Pretty sure I posted this before with reference to some other ugliness thread :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Bugnug wrote: »
    Irish people are not ugly. Both myself and my wife have travelled extensively before and since we met each other and we both agree that it comes down to weight. You will find that most Europeans take better care of themselves than the Irish and British. They are slimmer, dress better and don't plaster themselves in make up. Its as simple as that. How many times had you heard people say "oh he/she would be so good looking if he/she lost the weight. If Irish people slimmed down you would be suprised how attractive a race we are.

Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Our low genetic diversity increases the chances that reccessive mutations will show themselves (and many of these cause decreased attractiveness). In people with a more diverse genetic heritage many of these ugly genes remain unexpressed giving them a more attractive appearance.

If you go down to the woods today, you're sure to get a sur.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Enough with the in-breeding argument!

It's obviously a defence mechanism provided to us to fend off predators. Mother nature obviously never counted on the ruthlessness of the British imperialism though, which rendered our main weapon useless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement