Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yeah the housing market in Maynooth has gone mental this year. Think its a combination of Intel expansion and the Kerry group going into Naas. Lots of professionals and construction workers looking to rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Yeah the housing market in Maynooth has gone mental this year. Think its a combination of Intel expansion and the Kerry group going into Naas. Lots of professionals and construction workers looking to rent.
    That added to the fact Froebel students will be moving up to Maynooth from this academic year.. the student housing market's a bit of wreck.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 helenmccarthy_

Twin room available in a house in Kingsbry with 3 second year girls, pm if you're interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CJ1000

Hey, I'm a male science student going into third year and am trying to find a house for the next college year. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone would let me know about rooms available cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

Hey,
    As its getting close to the CAO offers I'm starting to get excited about College. Hopefully I'll be hitting Maynooth. Whats accommodation like in Maynooth? Which is the best accommodations for the bants like? Also in student accommodation in Maynooth, is it all girls/boys or is it mixed?

I'm in the same boat as yourself Maeve, I've applied for on Campus , but If I dont get that I havent looked at any house at all or anything have you?

Hoping Looking at something the day of the offers will be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 MaeveGearthy

I really want to get on campus accommodation but I'm just worried about living with all girls if i get it as to be honest I'm not able for the drama! :P Does anybody know are there any mixed apartments on campus and how do ya apply for them?

I really want to get on campus accommodation but I'm just worried about living with all girls if i get it as to be honest I'm not able for the drama! :P Does anybody know are there any mixed apartments on campus and how do ya apply for them?

The best chance/highly likelihood you have of getting a mixed apartment on campus is by going for River (in my experience). It's more expensive than Village or Rye (the other 2 on-campus housing options) but you get your own bathroom.. unless you opt for a twin room!

I was in an apartment of all girls in 1st year, and it was grand. There wasn't any nonsense unless someone was being messy/loud and if so you usually just asked them to cop the heck on.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

hey im starting in nuim as a mature student and im looking for a room for the year. im 27 and easy going so if anyone has one available id appreciate it if you let me know.

The best chance/highly likelihood you have of getting a mixed apartment on campus is by going for River (in my experience). It's more expensive than Village or Rye (the other 2 on-campus housing options) but you get your own bathroom.. unless you opt for a twin room!

I was in an apartment of all girls in 1st year, and it was grand. There wasn't any nonsense unless someone was being messy/loud and if so you usually just asked them to cop the heck on.
    I know but my problem is I've been too the gaelteacht two years and have had problems with my all girl housemates both times! And like it is probably me but i would just love to not to do it again! Are all houses in River mixed or do you have to ask or how does it work?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I know but my problem is I've been too the gaelteacht two years and have had problems with my all girl housemates both times! And like it is probably me but i would just love to not to do it again! Are all houses in River mixed or do you have to ask or how does it work?

All apartments in River are mixed afaik and it is possible to get mixed apts in Village too but a lot less likely. I think Rye may be all mixed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stacerz17

im 23, going into first year social science :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭R_V_P 24

23 year old 1st year finance student heading up to maynooth next September!! Anyone recommend a nice area to stay as a student? Applied for on campus but its going to be tough to get it, anyone looking to share even? Lived near maynooth in the past but haven't had the college experience there. send me a pm if anyone's interested I'm sharing, I'm male as you Probably guessed and from the west!!...

geminilady wrote: »
    sorry here to invade the thread, just one question, going into 2nd year, and was thinking of going into digs instead of a house, do ya reckon its a good idea to go into digs, anyone have any advice? thanks : )

id advise against digs. did it in dublin, twice in one college year. old people the first time,.,moved out of there, lived with a family. the son was horrible. id never do it again

Barster wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as yourself Maeve, I've applied for on Campus , but If I dont get that I havent looked at any house at all or anything have you?

Hoping Looking at something the day of the offers will be enough.

im in the same position myself, hoping it wont be too hard to find somewhere decent :D

All apartments in River are mixed afaik and it is possible to get mixed apts in Village too but a lot less likely. I think Rye may be all mixed too.

Not *all* River apartments are mixed, I was in an apartment in Boyne in first year and all my flatmates were girls. We got on grand (99% of the time) so it was alright though.

Not *all* River apartments are mixed, I was in an apartment in Boyne in first year and all my flatmates were girls. We got on grand (99% of the time) so it was alright though.

My bad so. I've never actually come across a single sex River apt before!

I wonder if it's like Village where the last few apts to be filled end up being the opposite to the norm?

Also, you can have the same issues, or lack of, in mixed apts as you can in single sex. Boys can be just as dramatic as girls sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Also, you can have the same issues, or lack of, in mixed apts as you can in single sex. Boys can be just as dramatic as girls sometimes!

WELL I NEVER!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MrNeeson

If anyone's looking for a person to share a house with I need a room badly.
    LC results come out on Wednesday so I'll judge by that whether or not I'll be getting an offer in Maynooth!
    17 (almost 18), male, I'm easy going (I think).. I'll share with anyone as long as they're decent people!

Let me know :)

How do they select who goes int to which apartment? Random process?

• Advertisement

How do they select who goes int to which apartment? Random process?

I think it's random unless you ask to be put with someone though I have noticed that often they'll mix older students with first years somewhat evenly. In first year I lived with another first year and three third years (all girls), in second it was two first years, another second and an international student (all girls) and in third it was two other third years, an international student and a first year (2 guys and 3 girls)

So really the best chance of getting a mixed apartment is applying for River?

So really the best chance of getting a mixed apartment is applying for River?

Pretty much!

Pretty much!

1 more question sorry, do you think i should ask on my application for mixed housing or would that make them not want me to have it for being awkward??:confused:

1 more question sorry, do you think i should ask on my application for mixed housing or would that make them not want me to have it for being awkward??:confused:

It wouldn't go against you I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lauras91

If anyone is looking for a room using the college housing list, there is no room available in 63 Kingsbury and there hasn't been since January so please don't call me! Hopefully the list will be updated soon.. Good luck with the house hunting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mondobongo

Hi. Two Girls(2nd & 3rd Yr) looking to house-share if anyone has rooms available? Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Its gonna be murderous to get a room from next week on once the CAO offers come out. The place is packed to the rafters.

Its gonna be murderous to get a room from next week on once the CAO offers come out. The place is packed to the rafters.

All I can say is I'm glad mine's sorted anyway.. would be hopeless after next week I'd imagine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DAISY DREAMS

stacerz17 wrote: »
    im 23, going into first year social science :)

Hi there..I am 46 female also going into first year social science..getting nervous now...any joy finding a place cos I haven't and am too far away to go down looking

Advertisement