Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

«13456755

Comments



  • draffodx wrote: »
    Parklands
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..... such a horrible horrible place, landlord was a fúck too... its not much of a student housing estate...




  • Greenfield - its Maynooths Muirhevna Mor :D

    Straffan Wood - Look nice but ive heard they are ****e

    Meadowbrook - Lived there this year and its the 2nd closest estate to the college but that bridge is a bítch.

    Moyglare - is nice and the closest estate to the college, its just behind the on campus acc.

    Meadowbrook, Beaufield and Kingsbury are all filled with students.




  • moggins7 wrote: »
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..... such a horrible horrible place, landlord was a fúck too... its not much of a student housing estate...

    thanks!

    yeh theres only 2 houses on the list there

    Kingsbry or meadowbrook seem to have the most listings




  • eamoss wrote: »
    Greenfield - its Maynooths Muirhevna Mor :D

    Straffan Wood - Look nice but ive heard they are ****e

    Meadowbrook - Lived there this year and its the 2nd closest estate to the college but that bridge is a bítch.

    Moyglare - is nice and the closest estate to the college, its just behind the on campus acc.

    Meadowbrook, Beaufield and Kingsbury are all filled with students.

    Thanks for the info, much appreciatted!!




  • Kingsbry is a kip, walls are paper thin, and landlords try to squeeze as many as possible into the houses...


  • Advertisement


  • Jesus do NOT go for meadowbrook or Kingsbury unless you want to live in a damp dive. Moyglare and Parklands are best for nice houses that you won't get your car robbed from outside (a girl I know once had her car burnt out outside her house in Meadowbrook). But if you're looking to surround yourself with other students and don't care about the actual heating/quality/niceness of the house, go beaufield or kingsbury. I wouldn't actually let my dog live in meadowbrook. The last mate I had who lived there had mouse traps under his bed all year.




  • im living in kingbry next year - house is nice with 4 single rooms but on the pricey side at 90E a week :eek: Cluainn Aibhann houses are lovely - but usually go pretty quick - theres a lot of twin rooms!

    at the end of the day a student house is a student house - they are always gona be a bit damp n musty...but its what u make it for yourself.




  • monters wrote: »
    at the end of the day a student house is a student house - they are always gona be a bit damp n musty...but its what u make it for yourself.

    I've lived in the same student house for 4 years, and it is neither damp nor musty. :P




  • monters wrote: »
    im living in kingbry next year - house is nice with 4 single rooms but on the pricey side at 90E a week :eek:...
    €90 a week is pretty alright...




  • nothing wrote: »
    I've lived in the same student house for 4 years, and it is neither damp nor musty. :P

    same here stayed in one for two years and it wasn't damp at all, could get a bit musty the morning after a night out though :D
    moggins7 wrote: »
    €90 a week is pretty alright...

    yeh 90 seems to be the middle or lower end of the prices


  • Advertisement


  • moggins7 wrote: »
    €90 a week is pretty alright...

    €90 a week is a rip off unless it includes all bills and is def not on the lower end of the scale! I pay €80 a week, well less actually, for a single room in a gorgeous house...

    If you can get somewhere that has monthly rent as opposed to weekly, thats better... over the 9 college months, you can pay for 9 months, or weekly which works out the equivalent of 10 months.




  • nothing wrote: »
    €90 a week is a rip off unless it includes all bills and is def not on the lower end of the scale! I pay €80 a week, well less actually, for a single room in a gorgeous house...

    If you can get somewhere that has monthly rent as opposed to weekly, thats better... over the 9 college months, you can pay for 9 months, or weekly which works out the equivalent of 10 months.

    really?? it seems to be around the average on the list i got from the college




  • I'd recommend Parklands, it's a really nice estate. Our house was gorgeous. Not much students though but the majority of houses that I've seen there are lovely. Plus it's very near the village. The only one I have experience of and would suggest not going near is Old Greenfield. I had no problems there (then again only lived there for a month and always drove instead of walking home) but I know lots of people that did so stay well clear, the rent there is cheap for a reason. Newtown Hall and Castledawson are the nicest houses I've seen in Maynooth but both are a bit of a walk from college.

    There's always houses going in Parson Street. It's a rat infested kip of a street but right off the Main Street and party central if you don't mind your housemates being rats! :D




  • sorry here to invade the thread, just one question, going into 2nd year, and was thinking of going into digs instead of a house, do ya reckon its a good idea to go into digs, anyone have any advice? thanks : )




  • geminilady wrote: »
    sorry here to invade the thread, just one question, going into 2nd year, and was thinking of going into digs instead of a house, do ya reckon its a good idea to go into digs, anyone have any advice? thanks : )

    Some people what to be in digs :eek: well I never :P

    But IMO living in a house with your friends/other students is much better then living with a family.

    Like one of the experiences of College is living on your own, learning how to deal with you house mates and I cant see anyone learning that in digs its like living with your parents again.

    I'm sorry but I cant see how people can stick living in digs/living at home while in college. I personally would go mad.

    Maybe someone else can give you a more positive view on digs.




  • draffodx wrote: »
    really?? it seems to be around the average on the list i got from the college

    All the decent priced stuff would be long gone since May...




  • Clare Bear wrote: »
    I'd recommend Parklands, it's a really nice estate. Our house was gorgeous. Not much students though but the majority of houses that I've seen there are lovely. Plus it's very near the village. The only one I have experience of and would suggest not going near is Old Greenfield. I had no problems there (then again only lived there for a month and always drove instead of walking home) but I know lots of people that did so stay well clear, the rent there is cheap for a reason. Newtown Hall and Castledawson are the nicest houses I've seen in Maynooth but both are a bit of a walk from college.

    There's always houses going in Parson Street. It's a rat infested kip of a street but right off the Main Street and party central if you don't mind your housemates being rats! :D


    Ya parklands is the way to go, some of the nicest student houses around. in fact they don't even seem like student places as soon as people come in the door they're like holy sh*t this place is gorgeous! Rent's not bad either.

    Parson's Street is close to college but the houses down there are notorious for baing haunted! One in particluar had a host of hard ass rugby playing lads terrified with the goings on in it a few years back....!




  • geminilady wrote: »
    sorry here to invade the thread, just one question, going into 2nd year, and was thinking of going into digs instead of a house, do ya reckon its a good idea to go into digs, anyone have any advice? thanks : )

    Hey. I used to live in digs in first year but it was a pretty unique situation. There were six of us as the house was huge and we had our own side of the house as well with our own entrance and staircase etc.... It was a bit like a posh student house with a maid to cook the dinner ha ha. Really enjoyed it but obviously there were no parties or too many late nights unless we kept it to the rooms and were v quiet!

    Is there a reason you want to go into digs? Most people who move in are in first year and do so as they don't know anyone to move in with (that was my reason). but the majority of digs I've heard of can be pretty strict and the college experience is a lot about living alone and making the most of it! While I like the one I was in it was more about the people I moved in with and if it had just been me, or me and one other person, it could have been quite restrictive. Plus we had to call the landlady if we weren't goin to be home for dinner etc so it was a bit like living at home!!!




  • Moyglare Abbey! WE live there and we're doing up the shortcut from the end of our road into college so there's a proper bridge and stuff and people won't be killing themselves anymore in the mud.

    It's a 3 minute walk to JH from our house and the area is really really nice.




  • banquo wrote: »
    Moyglare Abbey! WE live there and we're doing up the shortcut from the end of our road into college so there's a proper bridge and stuff and people won't be killing themselves anymore in the mud.

    It's a 3 minute walk to JH from our house and the area is really really nice.

    LOL I know the shortcut you are talking about, you wouldnt want to be too big taking that shortcut :D

    There is also a shortcut for everyone who lives the other side of the tracks (ie Meadowbrook, Beaufield ect) but I dont know how anyone hasnt broken any bones taking it.


  • Advertisement


  • yeah i was thinking about digs, cause i would be just a bit worried about who i would be living with! thanks for your advice, : ) there think ill just look for a house, didnt think that they would be that strict.




  • Rockfield is the nicest estate in Maynooth. Parklands is also nice.

    Greenfield drive is not the same place as Old Greenfield and is a quite nice estate beside Maxol, bout 10-15mins from the college.

    That said the houses vary greatly on the inside if you aren' tliving in Parklands, rockfield or the new apartment estates so you really have to go look at the houses individually.




  • pookie82 wrote: »
    Ya parklands is the way to go, some of the nicest student houses around. in fact they don't even seem like student places as soon as people come in the door they're like holy sh*t this place is gorgeous! Rent's not bad either.

    Parson's Street is close to college but the houses down there are notorious for baing haunted! One in particluar had a host of hard ass rugby playing lads terrified with the goings on in it a few years back....!

    Think that's all a load of crap to be honest. I lived in Number 15 for a year (apparently the said "haunted house") and Number 7 for a year, never saw or heard or felt anything creepy (besides the rats and one or two housemates!) My best friends lived in Number 4 and 18 and knew the guys in 7b and no bother there either. The other houses on that street aren't student houses so if we lived in those for for a year and nothing happened I don't think there's any truth to those rumours. Absolute kips of houses but great location and great party houses.

    The apartments up above Dunnes are nice and ideal for college but can be pretty expensive.




  • hi there! is E88 a reasonable price for a single room? without bills and heating? : )




  • geminilady wrote: »
    hi there! is E88 a reasonable price for a single room? without bills and heating? : )

    Is it a nice room in a nice house? If it is then that's probably a fair price, if the house is a kip, then it's not.

    Go and see it and then decide. Only way to do it.




  • thanks for your reply!


    i rang the girl yesturday and said id take it! yeah its a nice house,in the middle of doing up so prob look way better by the time i move in! (hopefully!)




  • geminilady wrote: »
    thanks for your reply!


    i rang the girl yesturday and said id take it! yeah its a nice house,in the middle of doing up so prob look way better by the time i move in! (hopefully!)

    No worries, the fact that it's being done up is def a plus point. If you have any other questions feel free to ask away. Hope it works out for you -t




  • Lived in Parklands Lawns Last yeat and anything anyone came over they thought the house was unbelievably good. So id definitely recommend it.




  • she went for a house in moyglare abbey I think so she's sorted anyway, thanks for all the help from everyone, i'll be up there some nights hopefully so see ya's all for a maynooth boards beers???? :D


  • Advertisement


  • I'm going into my final year and I'm looking for a place. A few questions if you don't mind as I've never lived in a house share before only campus/digs.

    1) I have to be in Dublin most night until 11pm so I need somewhere that's not too far from bus/station and that's safe to walk to

    2) I can't get up to Maynooth until maybe the 5/6th August, will there be anything decent left by then and is it possible to get a single room for E70 -E80 w/ bills included?

    3) I don't want too much of a party house because I do want to pass the year and get out of college so is there anyway of ensuring that? Do the accommodation lists from the college mention how many other students , the year their in. I don't think I coud stick a lot of 1st/2nd years going wild every night.

    Finally - go through the college or somewhere like daft.ie? Daft seems to be mostly for professionals and mature students though.

    Sorry its so long any help would be fantastic


Advertisement