Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape Hibernia - August 22 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

This is a joke. They can withdraw you from the event if they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

ROK ON wrote: »
    This is a joke. They can withdraw you from the event if they like?

Well, in fairness, if you read the T&C for just about any event, there'll usually be a clause in which you agree to allow the organisers to boot you out for whatever reason they choose and without telling you the reason. So the Etape Hibernia is no different to other events in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

Yes... It is my real name... Please don't taunt me like the others...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

blorg wrote: »
    I am probably not going to be able to do this so will have a spare entry.

the entry booklet mentions somethng about having to produce photo id at the registration - you'll need to get the forger's kit out to create a Blorg id for Dirk!!!

btw - what if he puts in a really sh1t time - you're name will be sullied:)

For anyone booking hotels - check before you go for any Etape specials. I was booking online and noticed the message saying to call the hotel for special rates for Etape participants - and special they were!

The rate for cyclists was nearly 50 yoyos extra for a two night stay compared to the online rate in the same hotel - naturally I went with the online rate rather than compromise my post-event pasta and beer budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I ain't growing no beard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

What?

Ah I'm getting really pissed off this Etape. I know it's run by a sports management agency who aren't doing it for free, but this whole thing strikes me as profiteering and style over substance. The actual participants, paying €54, seem to be of secondary concern here.

I'm really thinking of jibbing it, but I wont even be able to get a refund!

I'm doing it, but only because I've paid over the cash - doubt I'll go again if it's on next year.

It's starting to feel like a bit of a shakedown! Everything is extra and the entry fee of 54 yoyos wasn't cheap to begin with.

Also - 7 pages of advertising in the info booklet before you get to any event specific details - wtf!!!????

Looking forward to it - but I doubt the totality of the experience will bring me back for more next year given the investment needed to participate.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I ain't growing no beard!

Blorg has a beard? - surely such hirsuteness is an immediate and catastrophic euro fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Jawgap wrote: »
    Blorg has a beard? - surely such hirsuteness is an immediate and catastrophic euro fail?

Blorg is a walking euro fail, the beard is just the cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I ain't can't growing no beard!

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

That 17 page booklet does a lot of talk and doesn't provide the basic info clearly. What's the deal with food and water - what's provided as part of the entry fee (seems they're trying to push cyclists to local food outlets)? Please tell me there's at least water provided along the route?

What are all the other extras people are talking about? For €54 you'd be expecting everything to be included. Kinda wish I hadn't paid up a few months ago cos I might be thinking twice about doing this event if I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

What ever happened to the €20 events (all given to charity) run by happy folk with a few "hang" sandwiches and a packet of tayto's half way through? With the camraderie of screaming at one another about pot holes / dogs / sheep / goats and really p*ssed off drivers nearly creasing the entire "peleton"? We've lost the run of ourselves altogether, everything has to be organised like a mission to mars.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

RoubX wrote: »
    What ever happened to the €20 events (all given to charity) run by happy folk with a few "hang" sandwiches and a packet of tayto's half way through? With the camraderie of screaming at one another about pot holes / dogs / sheep / goats and really p*ssed off drivers nearly creasing the entire "peleton"? We've lost the run of ourselves altogether, everything has to be organised like a mission to mars.:(

plenty out there you just need to look, in fact theres a thread about one on the front page
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055943619

the big events are nice but thee are good too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

What?

Ah I'm getting really pissed off this Etape... The actual participants, paying €54, seem to be of secondary concern here.

I'm really thinking of jibbing it, but I wont even be able to get a refund!

Did you really think this event was about the cyclists in the first place?

It's about promoting tourism in Ireland and Clare, and it's about BSkyB promoting themselves as promoters of cycling.The 7 pages of adverts and sponsors in the information booklet is evidence of that.

It's still going to be a good event though. There will be food and drinks provided at four feed stations and the lack of shower facilities doesn't really bother me too much at all.

Bring it on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

That 17 page booklet does a lot of talk and doesn't provide the basic info clearly. What's the deal with food and water - what's provided as part of the entry fee (seems they're trying to push cyclists to local food outlets)? Please tell me there's at least water provided along the route?

Page 3 of the booklet (under the ZipVit logo)
    We are delighted to welcome Zipvit as the official nutrition sponsor of the event. They will be providing energy
    products including bars, drinks and gels out on the route at the four feed stations.

Page 11 of the booklet (under the title "Feed Stations"
    There will be four feed stations around the course; the first will be stationed at Leamanch Castle.
    The second station is at Fanore beach. The third feed station on the route will be positioned at the
    top a short climb before the descent into Lehinch. The final feed station before the end of the route
    will be positioned in Spanish Point. We do recommend that competitors take food with them and
    start the event with a full water bottle. Our sponsors Zipvit and Clare Spring water will be providing
    energy product and water for the stations out on the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Jawgap wrote: »
    Also - 7 pages of advertising in the info booklet before you get to any event specific details - wtf!!!????

In fairness, the last 2 pages of that are advertising for the charities involved, which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Zipvit were the official nutrition partner of the bikeradar live sportive over in England last week...

Start worrying now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

penexpers wrote: »
    Page 3 of the booklet (under the ZipVit logo)

Page 11 of the booklet (under the title "Feed Stations"

Thanks for that: it just highlights the information dilution that including such a large amount of bumph leads to.

Though, in fairness, that sounds like more than generous provision of food and water stops. So what's all the extra costs that some posters have referred to?

penexpers wrote: »
    In fairness, the last 2 pages of that are advertising for the charities involved, which is fair enough.

fair enough - and actually the first two are typically Irish - the welcome from Bord Failte, the welcome from Shannon Development, the welcome from the Mayor of Clare (which should really be spelled "commint" instead of "comment" for a touch of mid-west colour.

By the way, what are these "areas of cycling excellence" they mention - are the riders in those areas particularly good or something?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

ktz84 wrote: »
    Zipvit were the official nutrition partner of the bikeradar live sportive over in England last week...

Start worrying now :D

A Quote from a rider who rode the above where they ran out of food etc at the 3 of the 4 advertised stops.
    'We spoke with the zipvit stand and they said they were contracted to supply one gel and one bar (protein recovery) per person. hardly enough!!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Where's the best place to get a good steak in Ennis?

[mod note: moved from Etape du Tour thread, where it generated some confusion. I undeleted a couple of posts to preserve sense - it was that or delete everything]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

how high is the wall in your front garden

me@ucd wrote: »
    how high is the wall in your front garden

?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

?

?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You're thinking of the etape hibernia.

You're thinking of the etape hibernia.

I am, we usually like to head out for a steak and some beers after these advents, especially if we have to stay away for it, so I was just wandering if anybody knew. Sorry for the confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I am, we usually like to head out for a steak and some beers after these advents, especially if we have to stay away for it, so I was just wandering if anybody knew. Sorry for the confusion

This is the etape du tour.

[mod note: moved from Etape du Tour thread, where it generated some confusion. I undeleted a couple of posts to preserve sense - it was that or delete everything]

Nice one Lumen ....Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Etape Hibernia

Irish cycling legend Sean Kelly, has today been confirmed as a participant in the 2010 Sky Ride Etape Hibernia, Ireland’s first closed road mass participation cycling event which takes place in County Clare on Sunday August 22nd.

Kelly was one of the world's most successful road cyclists of the 1980s, and one of the finest classics riders of all time. Turning professional in 1977 he won nine monument classics, including two wins at the mythical Paris-Roubaix race, and 193 professional races in total before his retirement from the sport in 1994.

The Waterford native is the latest addition to a dazzling roster of celebrities and professional cyclists, who will assemble on the start line in Ennis next month.

Team Sky members Dario Cioni and Davide Vigano were confirmed as participants last month, while Olympic gold medallist Denise Lewis and leading Irish comedian PJ Gallagher are also set to take on the challenge alongside an estimated 2000 participants.

The event will attract everyone from novice cyclists up for a challenge to keen club riders eager to cycle on traffic free roads in some of West of Ireland’s most scenic locations, including the Atlantic coastline and the world famous Burren Region.

Speaking about his participation in the Sky Ride Etape Hibernia, Sean Kelly said: “I am immensely proud to be taking part in Sky Ride Etape Hibernia this year. County Clare has some of the best scenery Ireland has to offer, and the fact that the event is taking place on completely closed roads is fantastic.”

He continued: “Cycling in Ireland is on the up once again, and events like the Etape Hibernia will only enhance our reputation as a cycling nation and great hosts to visitors and tourists, I hope it is successful in its first year and grows in years to come”.

Jo Dytch of IMG said: “We are honoured to have Sean Kelly on the start-line with us next month. He is a true legend in Ireland, his prowess in cycling and high-profile nature will bring star quality and offer all levels of cyclists the chance to ride alongside one of the legends of the sport. Entries are selling quickly but we still have a few places left, it is set to be a firm favourite in Ireland’s annual cycling calendar”.

Sky, the UK and Ireland’s leading entertainment company behind the Sky Ride series of events, is the title sponsor of The Sky Ride Etape Hibernia. The event is being organised by IMG, in partnership with Sky, Fáilte Ireland, Shannon Development, the Shannon Region Conference and Sports Bureau and Clare County Council.

For more on the Sky Ride Etape Hibernia visit www.etapehibernia.com, see www.twiiter.com/etapehibernia, email info@etapehibernia.com or call 0044(0)2082335900.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Turning professional in 1977 he won nine monument classics, including two wins at the mythical Paris-Roubaix race ...

Never happened ...:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement