Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape Hibernia - August 22 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I was last out on a bike in September - when I got off the bike at the top of Mont Ventoux, I pretty much instantly lost all interest in cycling cos I'd OD'd on it so much in the run up to that event and there wasn't anything else I was interested in doing.

Having an absolutely ridiculous schedule since then contributed to it as I wouldn't have had much time to get out on the bike even if I'd been in the mood. But it was very much as an experienced cyclist I know in work said to me - for many cyclists, it's a must to have a goal to be working towards.

And I had no more goals I cared about...until news of this event landed in my inbox....84 miles in under 4 hours sounds like a pretty decent challenge. But timing aside, I'd say it'll be some buzz to lash about on closed roads hopefully getting some pretty savage groups going to pound it out. No doubt I'll overreach and try to stick with too fast a group at the start, but that'll be part of the experience - how long can you hold on before getting dropped? Only one way to find out....

Ah yeh, somebody better warn my trusty steed cos I reckon this means it's gonna be coming out of retirement to earn its keep once again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

It's ridiculous the way RTE have called this event a race, when it isn't the case.

PS

Actually can't blame them as the organisers refer to the event 3 times as a race in their terms and conditions!

http://www.etapehibernia.com/T&Cs.html

Are there prizes anyone know? Aren't there UCI regs about the number of competitors in races??! Team cars allowed?

Also states:

"The Participant agrees to abide by all applicable rules and regulations including relevant British Cycling regulations and Doping rules"

What a joke! For what died the sons of Roisin? Romantic Ireland is dead and gone!

Wonder how much Clare County Council are getting for closing the roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Also states:

"The Participant agrees to abide by all applicable rules and regulations including relevant British Cycling regulations and Doping rules"

What a joke! For what died the sons of Roisin? Romantic Ireland is dead and gone!

I told you so! They're trying to mount an invasion when we're at our weakest, struck low by economic despair. Tourism me hole!

Here's a short instructional video to kick off the resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm in.

Hills aside, I thought the main problem would be the wind, especially if the route is anti-clockwise?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm in.

Hills aside, I thought the main problem would be the wind, especially if the route is anti-clockwise?

This was tough on the Tour de Burren.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Fwiw. Here is my tuppence worth of an opinion.

1 closed roads good.
    2 seems expensive. Facilities etc would need to be A1.
    3 can't help but think that if I was TourdeBurren organisers that I would be a bit peeved. I mean this is by all accounts a successful event run over a very similar course.
    I guess where I am coming from is that many folks will not travel to a similar sportif twice in the same year.
    There are many areas that are crying out for a well run sportif IMO. Eg Donegal, Ring of Beara, Silvermines, SlieveBlooms.

Anyway fair play to Clare CoCo for getting in board with the organisers. This should add to a growing sportif calendar in Ireland and that is to be welcomed.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

ROK ON wrote: »
    Fwiw. Here is my tuppence worth of an opinion.

1 closed roads good.
    2 seems expensive. Facilities etc would need to be A1. Just to match the Tour de Burren
    3 can't help but think that if I was TourdeBurren organisers that I would be a bit peeved. I mean this is by all accounts a successful event run over a very similar course.

I guess where I am coming from is that many folks will not travel to a similar sportif twice in the same year.
    There are many areas that are crying out for a well run sportif IMO. Eg Donegal, Ring of Beara, Silvermines, SlieveBlooms.

Anyway fair play to Clare CoCo for getting in board with the organisers. This should add to a growing sportif calendar in Ireland and that is to be welcomed.
    Best of luck.

The whole thing about the An Post Series was that it was the County Sports Partnerships(Which are all Co.Co. supported) which were the umbrella bodies which brought the Ci Clubs together to run the events with community support. So it looks like the same people maybe doing both

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Esroh wrote: »
    The whole thing about the An Post Series was that it was the County Sports Partnerships(Which are all Co.Co. supported) which were the umbrella bodies which brought the Ci Clubs together to run the events with community support. So it looks like the same people maybe doing both

+1 that is very much the case.

The Clare Sports Partnership is integral to both these events, so there is going to be a fair degree of duplication between the 2 cycles but the two differing start points - Ballyvaughan and Ennis, will ensure that the routes feel very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

so who's throwing tacks across the road to give that real, authentic etape caledonia feel ?

• Advertisement

Well done to the hoteliers of Ennis!!

Went to look for a room for the Saturday night:-

Lynch Hotels (West County)-
    Arriving Sat 21st Augutst for 1 night -129 lids (compared to 84 on the 14th and 84 on the 28th)

Arriving Friday 20th for 2 nights - 230 total (compared to 145 on the 13th and 145 on the 27th)

In fairness they're not all as bad (some haven't changed their prices at all) and before the avalanche starts I don't expect them not to make a profit but charging a 50% premium for the weekend is a bit much!

Anyone up for sharing a house for the weekend? If so, thank this post so I have your username and we can arrange by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

was in galway last year for the volvo ocean race and most of the hotels had doubled their prices, found a b&b in salthill doing rooms at their normal rate

mind you the hotels were rammed

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Went to look for a room for the Saturday night:-

Arriving Sat 21st Augutst for 1 night -129 lids (compared to 84 on the 14th and 84 on the 28th)

Arriving Friday 20th for 2 nights - 230 total (compared to 145 on the 13th and 145 on the 27th)

In fairness they're not all as bad (some haven't changed their prices at all) and before the avalanche starts I don't expect them not to make a profit but charging a 50% premium for the weekend is a bit much!

That's what narks me about requiring you to register on the Friday or Saturday - unless you are local, it forces you to find somewhere to stay. Good for the local tourist industry, but I think they would have had a few extra visitors staying for the weekend anyway.

Plenty of other events appear capable of same-day registration, and with the money they are charging they should be able to set up a couple of walk-through marquees if necessary

I may travel over twice, just to scupper their cunning plan:)

Beasty wrote: »
    That's what narks me about requiring you to register on the Friday or Saturday - unless you are local, it forces you to find somewhere to stay. Good for the local tourist industry, but I think they would have had a few extra visitors staying for the weekend anyway.

Plenty of other events appear capable of same-day registration, and with the money they are charging they should be able to set up a couple of walk-through marquees if necessary

I may travel over twice, just to scupper their cunning plan:)

could you not just show up on day, unregistered and ride the event!?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    Anyone up for sharing a house for the weekend? If so, thank this post so I have your username and we can arrange by PM.
    Are hairy (legged) bikers allowed in this "commune", or do Euro rules rule?

could you not just show up on day, unregistered and ride the event!?
    Interesting question. Given the roads are to be closed, they may be able (at least technically) to deny you access.

Are hairy (legged) bikers allowed in this "commune", or do Euro rules rule?

You may arrive hairy, but you will leave shaven.

Lumen wrote: »
    You may arrive hairy, but you will leave shaven.
    You can count me out then:)

(and I was thinking of treating you all to a nice little country mansion for the weekend - oh well, never mind)

Interesting question. Given the roads are to be closed, they may be able (at least technically) to deny you access.

could u say u are visiting your aunt down the bohareen?

• Advertisement

could u say u are visiting your aunt down the bohareen?
    But I don't have an aunt down the bohareen (wherever that is):)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭weaselman

This sort of event calls for a dutch style Alpe D'Huez stayover. Head down in the campervan on the Friday night with 3 slabs of dutch gold, crank on the tunes and start spraying the roads with every pros name you can think of. Sign in on the saturday and back to the van to party on til the wee hours of the morning. 2 hours sleep and change into race mode for the next few hours. Might affect race performance on the sunday but it would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Is it open to keen cyclists who have done a bit but aren't quite up to standard of some of the mentalists that shave their legs (I don't have this), only have white handle bar tape and saddles (I have those) and have only carbon forks and not full frame but luckily have a brother in law in Quin (near Ennis) ?

ashleey wrote: »
    Is it open to keen cyclists who have done a bit but aren't quite up to standard of some of the mentalists that shave their legs (I don't have this), only have white handle bar tape and saddles (I have those) and have only carbon forks and not full frame but luckily have a brother in law in Quin (near Ennis) ?
    Yes - I think the time allowed is 6 and a half hours, so if you feel you can get round at an average speed of just over 20 kph (around 13 mph) you should be fine (you would need to allow extra time for stops though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I think this event was just announced yesterday so they seem to have reacted quickly there. I heard people on Joe Duffy complaining about this practice at this hotel last year.

Lots of Hotels/B+B/self catering and camping etc within 30 mins driving distance of ennis. eg: Lahinch + Spanish Point + Kilkee.
    This is my favourite for 84Euro.
    http://www.avvio.com/hotels/Falls_Hotel/bookings/client.php#ipulsestart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Yes - I think the time allowed is 6 and a half hours, so if you feel you can get round at an average speed of just over 20 kph (around 13 mph) you should be fine (you would need to allow extra time for stops though)
    I am in the cycling club in kilkenny, but not as good as some of the other members but on the 100k Castlecomer ride las October I averaged 28km/h and that's pretty much my usual so I'll just consult with the chief executive of our family and see how it goes. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Lads and ladies.

With the N18 upgrades you will be able to spread you wings abit and keep well out of Ennis.Better to go for 1 of the many BandBs in Clare
    As we have discovered for the W200 hotels will not cater for a decent early breakfast so we have opted for a Band B where the Bean an Ti has promised to cook what ever we require:D

I might stay here

Although a bad day could see the bike end up in the lake!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Whatever happened to the Boards mini tour of Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ashleey wrote: »
    I am in the cycling club in kilkenny, but not as good as some of the other members but faster than Captain Slow
    :D
    In fairness you're better than me so I don't see why you wouldn't be able for it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement