Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape Hibernia - August 22 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Lumen wrote: »
    €54 :eek:
    For the only sportive in Ireland (and only one of two across these islands) on closed roads. Cheaper than the Etape Caledonia which I have considered traveling for. Definitely on for this, you can cycle on the wrong side of the road FFS. Hope there are some good descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

blorg wrote: »
    For the only sportive in Ireland (and only one of two across these islands) on closed roads. Cheaper than the Etape Caledonia which I have considered traveling for. Definitely on for this, you can cycle on the wrong side of the road FFS. Hope there are some good descents.

Threw it into mmr there...
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/ennis/757126573134418461

I've entered anyway, for €54 closed roads and timing chips it ain't that bad
    Here's what they say...
    Skyride wrote:
    The cost of the entry fee is reflective of an electronically timed event with closed roads, a high level of safety, event staffing, feed stations along the route and mechanical support.

So you get feed stations and mechanical support too, not too bad imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fair enough, I've entered already so it's worth it for me. I wonder how they'll handle food stops, given the mass start/racy approach to things.

Oh yeah, and 07:30 on a Sunday seems like a grand idea considering the roads will have to be closed. Still not sure how that'll work though.

Clare is my favourite county. It's a right place.

Perhaps "mechanical support" means I can bring proper sportive wheels (i.e. carbon tubs).

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

On the closed roads there shouldn't be any worries.

The Garda and Clare County Council have been very involved in the planning of the event.

Many of the roads in north Clare would have been closed previously for motor rally's.

The exact route hasn't yet been finalised but I would say there is a good chance that it would include Slieve Callan and there is a great descent on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    The exact route hasn't yet been finalised but I would say there is a good chance that it would include Slieve Callan and there is a great descent on that.

you are right. I hear the ennis to Miltown road via Connolly and The Hand are included. Lot of climbing involved on that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I didnt see a mention of Cycling Ireland in the press release!

Are they not involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I didnt see a mention of Cycling Ireland in the press release!

Are they not involved?

The registration form has a section for British club membership details, but nothing for Ireland.

I suspect an invasion. To the barricades!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I wonder how they'll handle food stops, given the mass start/racy approach to things.

Musettes?
    Perhaps "mechanical support" means I can bring proper sportive wheels (i.e. carbon tubs).

You'll have to buy them first though? Or have you already bought some?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The registration form has a section for British club membership details, but nothing for Ireland.

I suspect an invasion. To the barricades!

srfron250207.jpg

Heather from Cycling Ireland was at the launch and are very much involved in the event and quite excited by it.

Incidently, it was said that they were planning to have 4 food stops along the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Interesting to see this, if it's as well organised as the caledonian etape then it'll be great. Loads of freebies, great feed stops, free servicing of all bikes by the Mavic boys and even free breakdown assistance!

€54 for closed roads is not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Interesting to see this, if it's as well organised as the caledonian etape then it'll be great. Loads of freebies, great feed stops, free servicing of all bikes by the Mavic boys and even free breakdown assistance!

€54 for closed roads is not too bad.

Not sure that it is that great value, when you consider that for those not living in the vicinity, it will mean driving down to Clare the day before(approx. 3 hours) and accomodation for the night before which I would imagine will not be that cheap when consider how many people will be in the same position. But a days cycling on closed roads, hmmm.........

It has to be remembered that Shannon Development, Clare County Council and Failte Ireland are not, primarily, funding this Etape because of their love of cycling. It is to generate spending in Clare and, hopefully, Ireland as a whole from overseas cyclists.

It is no different than cyclists from the west of Ireland doing the Wicklow 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

One other thing - is it a leisure cycle or race, or a combination of the two

One other thing - is it a leisure cycle or race, or a combination of the two

It's not 'officially' a race but it will be, for those who want race. For the majority though it will be a leisure cycle but, because the roads will only be closed for a limited time, there will be a maximum allowed time of about six-and-a-half hours and stragglers will be 'swept-up'.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Done it, entry is confirmed

Story just gone up on breakingnews.ie.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/ireland-set-for-first-closed-road-cycle-event-445509.html

was on rte sport on six one too

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0209/6news_av.html?2698086,null,230 (FROM 5MINS:50SECS)

seems like its open to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

RTE Six One were making out like it's a race, but I'm definitely entering this one... Dirk, do it, give me a lift and bring a tent down -that's accommodation sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hmm...the possibility of going surfing too is also appealing. Is there a deadline, I need to mull this one over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Would love to do this, but its a week after Tour de Munster and 2 weeks before the Raid.
    Clare is stunning this could be a fantastic event.

For folks not from the area forget Ennis and stay in Lahinch. Kenny pub does great grub and Holywell does nice carbs (pasta/pizza).
    Also great surfing. A dip in the ocean after the cycle could be just what is needed.

I will probably book it tomorrow just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    which may be an enticement for Lance to become involved.

It's clashing with the last day of the Tour of Ireland so he should be free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

I am officaly excited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Definitely on for this, you can cycle on the wrong side of the road FFS.

:rolleyes::D thats reason enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Closed roads?? If I was doing this I would cycle it as an open road event. There are just too many side roads to effectively police them all. Also august is high tourist season in Ballyvaughan, Doolin, Cliffs of Moher, Liscannor and Lahinch. Lots of tour busses and euro motorists on the right:eek: side of the road

PS: If course remains as shown and anticlockwise I would suggest walking shoes or 34/28 gearing for that litte lump on the castle road out of doolin (fisher street) to donagore. Ive done it a few times and if you climb in the saddle you wheelie.
    If its clockwise be careful here.
    I expect it will be by passed for this event.

PPS: It looks like corkscrew hill is not on it. Pity. But I have cycled the bypass route by Ailwee cave and it is very scenic also with a long fast decent (assuming clockwise) route.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

PS: If course remains as shown and anticlockwise I would suggest walking shoes or 34/28 gearing for that litte lump on the castle road out of doolin (fisher street) to donagore. Ive done it a few times and if you climb in the saddle you wheelie.

What's the gradient?

Closed roads?? If I was doing this I would cycle it as an open road event. There are just too many side roads to effectively police them all.
    How could open roads be safer than closed roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    What's the gradient?
    No idea but by way of comparison I have climbed hills that have been measured as 20% and parts of this are much steeper. It's not very long (300m approx) but I doubt very many sportive riders would go over this pushing 39/25. I think I have climbed everything thats paved in wicklow and commonly discussed here and nothing like it so be warned.
    @WolfIREHow could open roads be safer than closed roads?
    You may have misunderstood me there. I meant it would be safer to ride closed roads as if they were open. ie: Keep left at all times.

You may have misunderstood me there. I meant it would be safer to ride closed roads as if they were open. ie: Keep left at all times.

Thanks Victor. I just looked into the Etape Caledonia event that IMG run and they claim to have marshals at every junction along the route. Scotland is similar to Ireland with its numerous boreens and sideroads so may be they have that covered. Time will tell I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Did the Tour de Burren last year which a fair amount of this is on, I also went to college in Clare, it's stunning, I think ye'll love it. It'll be lumpy but not too much, I've cycled those roads from Lahinch to Ennis via Ballyvaughan and it's stunning all the way from Lahinch until you get to Corofin.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

you can cycle on the Euro side of the road FFS.

FYP

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement