Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape Hibernia - August 22 2010

Options
  • 06-02-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Press launch on Tuesday of an Etape in August, obviously in conjunction with the Tour of Ireland, that will take place in County Clare, with a start in Ennis.

Apparently Shannon Development and Clare County Council won the bid to stage the event, which will be on closed roads, for what is being envisaged as a major cycling event which is being organised by IMG World.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Very interesting - hadn't cycled very much in Clare before the Tour de Burren last year and it's a nice place to pedal around.

Hope it doesn't clash with the Sean Kelly Tour though...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

*** MOD NOTE: THREADS MERGED ***

This just landed in my inbox:

IMG today, in partnership with Sky, Fáilte Ireland, Shannon Development, the Shannon Region Conference and Sports Bureau, Clare County Council, announced details of the country’s first closed road cycle event.
    The Sky Ride Etape Hibernia will take place over an 80-mile (approx) course in scenic County Clare on Sunday, August 22nd 2010.

The event organisers expect to attract 2000 entrants from throughout Ireland and abroad this year, bringing significant economic benefit into the local economy, with numbers increasing considerably over the next five years. The mass participation event, which is being marketed internationally and nationally, is open to all standards of cyclists, aged 18-80. The cycle will start and finish in Ennis and travel through County Clare, taking in part of West Clare’s spectacular coastline.

Sky, the UK and Ireland’s leading entertainment company behind the Sky Ride series of events, is the title sponsor of The Sky Ride Etape Hibernia. The sponsorship supports Sky’s aim to encourage one million more people of all ages and abilities to get cycling by 2013. Sky Ride consists of a range of initiatives to get people back on their bikes, with activities like mass city cycling events on traffic-free streets through to local group rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd be up for a nice bit of closed road action! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Here is the press release for that event. http://www.dunphypr.com/?p=3520

It appears to be open to anyone to register and take part. good news for hotels in clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

No mention of a cost?

I've never been cycling in Clare, many hills?

August 22nd, I hope that won't interfere with the Sean Kelly Tour, that's normally on the following week right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Full press release...

ATTN News Editor and Picture Desk: Images relating to today’s event launch are available from Press 22 at (00353) 61-204222.

MEDIA RELEASE

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, 09 February 2010

INTERNATIONAL CYCLING EVENT LAUNCHED IN IRELAND

The Sky Ride Etape Hibernia to attract thousands of cyclists to County Clare

Ireland is set to become home to an annual international cycling event organised by the world’s largest sports, entertainment and media company.

IMG today, in partnership with Sky, Fáilte Ireland, Shannon Development, the Shannon Region Conference and Sports Bureau, Clare County Council, announced details of the country’s first closed road cycle event.

The Sky Ride Etape Hibernia will take place over an 80-mile (approx) course in scenic County Clare on Sunday, August 22nd 2010.

The event organisers expect to attract 2000 entrants from throughout Ireland and abroad this year, bringing significant economic benefit into the local economy, with numbers increasing considerably over the next five years. The mass participation event, which is being marketed internationally and nationally, is open to all standards of cyclists, aged 18-80. The cycle will start and finish in Ennis and travel through County Clare, taking in part of West Clare’s spectacular coastline.

Sky, the UK and Ireland’s leading entertainment company behind the Sky Ride series of events, is the title sponsor of The Sky Ride Etape Hibernia. The sponsorship supports Sky’s aim to encourage one million more people of all ages and abilities to get cycling by 2013. Sky Ride consists of a range of initiatives to get people back on their bikes, with activities like mass city cycling events on traffic-free streets through to local group rides.

As well as Sky Ride Etape Hibernia, IMG have extensive experience organising mass participation events including the internationally renowned events the Macmillan Cancer Support Etape Caledonia, Tour de Suisse, Melbourne Marathon, The London Triathlon, Triathlon de Alpe d’Huez and UK Challenge

Speaking at today’s event launch in Spanish Point, County Clare, Jo Dytch of IMG said: “The popularity and growth in road cycling is very exciting. Along with our partners we are looking to lead the way in providing a prestige event for cycling in Ireland and to establish a major fixture on the Irish sporting calendar delivering a significant boost to the local economy. This event will bring a welcome boost to the tourism in Clare annually and will see the most scenic parts of the County and its coastline exposed to the world’s cycling enthusiasts and media.”

Ms. Dytch continued: “Sky Ride Etape Hibernia is Ireland's first closed road cycle event and is open to the general public. It affords cyclists with the unique opportunity to cycle safely on closed roads, whilst rising to the physical challenge at the same time. We expect to draw enthusiasts, the health conscious, challenge-seekers, charity fund-raisers and lapsed cyclists. For the inaugural Etape Hibernia, we hope to attract as many as 2000 entrants and plan to grow this number considerably by 2014. IMG are grateful for the support of the title sponsor Sky, and regional sponsors Fáilte Ireland, Shannon Development, Clare County Council, and the Shannon Region Conference and Sports Bureau, without whom staging this event in Ireland would not be possible and we look forward to making it a legacy event for the region”.

Mark Deering, Director, Sky Ireland said, “We are proud to be the main sponsor for the Sky Ride Etape Hibernia. Our Sky Ride initiatives last year encouraged thousands of people to get on their bikes. We hope, through events and sponsorships such as this, that 2010 will provide more opportunities and inspiration for people to get cycling.”

Speaking about today’s announcement Keith McCormack, Fáilte Ireland’s Head of Business and Sports Tourism, emphasised: “As a national tourism authority, we are glad to be ‘in the saddle’ for the Sky Ride Etape Hibernia. This event is a perfect fit for Fáilte Ireland’s sports strategy and our commitment to promoting all of Ireland’s regions as tourism destinations. This event allows us to harness the growing popularity of cycling to the natural charms and allure of County Clare and the Mid West. As well as bringing visitors and revenue to the area, the event will provide an excellent opportunity to showcase the Shannon Region as both a cycling destination, in particular, and a tourism ‘must see’ in general.”

Welcoming the event John King, Assistant Chief Executive of Shannon Development said, “Shannon Development, along with its partners, is delighted to have helped secure this very prestigious event for the Shannon Region for the next five years. Winning this event helps us build on our campaign to promote the Region’s growing reputation as a leading sports and events destination. Etape Hibernia is one of a number of international events we are working on this year to bring additional visitors to the Shannon Region which have the potential to generate 10 million euro in new revenue for the Region. This new cycling event complements our strategy to secure more mass participation events, in particular sports events, which can be firmly rooted in the Shannon Region for many years to come.”

Mr. King noted that the Lonely Planet ‘Best in Travel 2010’ guide’s inclusion of Clare in its top 10 list of ‘Super Cycling Routes in the World’ was a great endorsement of the County’s cycling product. “This endorsement is a testament to the amount of work that has gone into the development of the tourism cycling product in Clare in recent times. We look forward to working with IMG and our partners to ensure the success of this event in terms of delivering additional visitors and revenue”, concluded Mr. King.

Karen Brosnahan of the Shannon Region Conference and Sports Bureau noted: “Sports Tourism generates approximately 60 million euro for the Shannon Region annually. We, along with Shannon Development and Failte Ireland, have recently launched a Sports Ambassador Programme to capitalise on this lucrative market even further by getting local people involved in sport to help bid for events like Etape Hibernia that can become legacy events for the entire Shannon Region."

Mayor of Clare Councillor Tony Mulcahy said the economic and tourist benefits associated with the event for County Clare and the wider region were significant. “I have no doubt that the people of Clare will support the event by joining Clare County Council in welcoming thousands of cyclists to the County, which will allow us to showcase all we have to offer. I especially welcome IMG’s commitment to working with local people to maximise the economic return of the event for all local people”, stated Mayor Mulcahy.

The Sky Ride Etape Hibernia was launched today at an event in The Armada Hotel, Spanish Point, Co Clare, which was attended by media outlets from throughout Ireland the United Kingdom. A number of attending journalists also took part in an arranged cycle of a 10-mile stretch of the proposed event route.

Details of The Sky Ride Etape Hibernia are available from www.etapehibernia.com or info@etapehibernia.com.

-ENDS-

Notes To Editor:

- Images relating to today’s event launch are available from Press 22 at (00353) 61-204222

- TV and Radio interviewees are available on request. Please contact Mark Dunphy of Dunphy Public Relations on 086-8534900 or media@dunphypr.com

- Why Étape Hibernia? 'Étape' is the name for a stage of a cycle race. Hibernia is the Classical Latin name for the island of Ireland

- For more information about Sky Ride visit: www.goskyride.com

- For more information on IMG mass participation events visit: www.challengerworld.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Wonder will the locals do an "Etape Caledonia" on it with the closed roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

roads were practically closed for three weeks because of ice in January. I am sure they will survive for a few hours if this event is bringing tourists and spend in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

280px-Hammerfest_Juni_2005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Bollocks. Thats my Wedding week.

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »

Can you move it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

hammertime.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

Lumen wrote: »
    280px-Hammerfest_Juni_2005.jpg

I have to admit I looked at this and thought "Is that Clare? It looks like Norway" before I checked the properties to see what it was called. :o

Jumpy wrote: »

As long as you're not getting married on the same day, I can't see a problem. If you are, I'd make enquiries about whether you can get your deposit back. Given the current economic climate, a lot of places might be quite reasonable about this, provided you promise to book the new date with them.

€54 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Entry fee will be €54 across the board - no reduction for Cycling Ireland members.

The start will be 7am :( with groups of around 150 let off at a time, starting with the faster club cyclists.

Was at the Press Launch and it seems to have been very professionally planned. It is the intention to run the Etape in Clare for the next 5 years.

They are also hoping to get the event endorsed by a famous cyclist such as Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche (possibly even Lance;)).

They are looking at being able to comfortably accommodate 2,000 cyclists, with possibly another 500 on top of that, though they are realistic that numbers in the first year may be significantly lower, they do though expect it to grow much larger than that in subsequent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Can you move it?

Im going to have to now.

I am sure herself wont have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

CheGuedara wrote: »

+1

€55 :eek::eek: ;)

Website wrote:
    Registration for the race will take place on Friday 20th and Saturday 21st August 2010. You will be required to register and collect your timing chip for the race.

OK, so timing chips are cool, but the early start and previous day registration will be a bit of a PITA. No turning up at 3am for this one.

I optimisitically went for the sub-4hr "seeding preference".

• Advertisement

It's a race now?

el tonto wrote: »
    It's a race now?

Anything involving pinning on numbers or timing chips is a race.

They showed a DVD of the Etape Caledonia and that looked pretty much like a race. I think there is also a prize for the first cyclist to finish - that is clearly inviting a competitive element into the event.

Tis a bit pricey considering that it's shorter and more expensive than the Wicklow 200 and the Sean kelly Tour.
    I optimisitically went for the sub-4hr "seeding preference".

30kph. Should be quite doable if the course isn't that hilly and you stick with a bunch.
    Anything involving pinning on numbers or timing chips is a race.

The W200 has both too!
    WakeyTyke wrote: »
    They are also hoping to get the event endorsed by a famous cyclist such as Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche (possibly even Lance;)).

Hard to see Lance getting involved given this is back by the sponsor of a rival team. Kelly's own Tour is a week later, which might make him unwilling to spread himself a bit thin.

So it's more the continental style sportif with prizes? Interesting...

54 euro for closed roads, I'm still tempted.

Factoring in petrol costs, accommodation, food and possibly a beer or two, it could be an expensive weekend and like I said, it's a week before the SKT in which I will also be spending money on petrol, accommodation, food and possibly a beer or two (plus a trip to that nightclub).

I may have to choose, and at this stage it's an easy choice. If you're possibly competing against an established and popular event, it makes sense to have a first year "low price offer" to attract people.

Tony Griffin (the Clare Hurler) was at the launch and he has developed a good friendship with Lance through his cancer charity work. Also their will be a headline charity for the event, which has yet to be announced, which may be an enticement for Lance to become involved.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Factoring in petrol costs, accommodation, food and possibly a beer or two....

Soon we'll turn you into a proper bike racer and have you sleeping in your car.

Given my recent posts I think I'm not even going to bother racing and turn into a cycling Zoolander, position myself for photo opps on various sportives striking fantastic poses.

Cycling is for losers! Male cyclist modeling is where all the action is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Where did you see that. Went to skyride site but can't see any mention.
    Linky with map etc pls.

Ignore found it.
    Know the roads well. Stunning in any weather.
    Worth doing but not for 54notes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement