Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

This is more of a satellite question:

Can the vu+ tune freesat hd and sky off the same dish, without moving it? Just use a quad lnb or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

if you have a quad lnb yes it can m8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gedulisg

glic83 wrote: »
    if you have a quad lnb yes it can m8

Hi just wondering would be possibility to record from vu duo to hard disc connected to my pc, or should I connect hard disc straiht to the box, and how to setup this if possible. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

gedulisg wrote: »
    Hi just wondering would be possibility to record from vu duo to hard disc connected to my pc, or should I connect hard disc straiht to the box, and how to setup this if possible. Thanks for your help.

I don't own a VU+ Duo but it is a linux box so if you have your PC on your home network and your VU+ Duo on it too you should be able to remote mount the PCs hard drive. Depends on the PCs OS, if linux also should be a piece of cake if Windows you may need to "share" out a particular folder to the network....

Someone here who actually owns one of these should be able to say for sure :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I bought a new vu+ and it arrived yesterday. I am having problems getting it to work. I am not getting any picture on my tv when connected via scart or RCA yellow/red/white cables.

I have been in contact with the seller and he says that I need to connect it to a tv via hdmi and then switch on the scart via the menu. Is this the case? I don't have a tv with an hdmi input so can't check it.

Has anyone any experience of connecting the vu+ to tv via scart and encountered any problems? The box came with the original image and i havn't changed anything on it so I think it may be faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

recyclebin wrote: »
    I bought a new vu+ and it arrived yesterday. I am having problems getting it to work. I am not getting any picture on my tv when connected via scart or RCA yellow/red/white cables.

I have been in contact with the seller and he says that I need to connect it to a tv via hdmi and then switch on the scart via the menu. Is this the case? I don't have a tv with an hdmi input so can't check it.

Has anyone any experience of connecting the vu+ to tv via scart and encountered any problems? The box came with the original image and i havn't changed anything on it so I think it may be faulty.
    Does the display on the front of the box light up when in use?

Assuming it does, you can rely on the display window to navigate the menu. See Page 67 in user manual for Menu Structure of the box.

You need to work your way across Setup >> System >> A/V Settings >> Video Output. If you have video output on the matrix display, press right button which will cycle the box between HDMI, YPbPr, Scart, HDMI-PC modes (in that order). Would help to have your TV on the relevant AV input channel, so you might notice the picture pop up.

I can get to where it shows "A/V Settings" on the matrix display on the front of the box.
    How do I navigate "Video Output". Is it the first option on the a/v setting menu? Do I have to press green to accept the changes before the setting change takes effect?

byte

I can get to where it shows "A/V Settings" on the matrix display on the front of the box.
    How do I navigate "Video Output". Is it the first option on the a/v setting menu? Do I have to press green to accept the changes before the setting change takes effect?
    Well for me, When at AV Settings, I press OK. After which, Video Output is first option I see on the Vu screen. Toggle right til you get a picture on yer Tellybox (for me here, pressing right twice brings me to Scart).

Yes, you must press Green to save.

It must be faulty.

When I switch on the power the matrix display show the following sequence:
    starting...
    Vu+ duo
    Service unvaila
    DVB service

Then if I press menu on the remote control i can navigate through the following screens:
    Main menu
    Setup
    System
    A/V settings

Finally pressing right a number of times followed by green but still no picture. Looks like it'll have to go back to the seller.

thanks for the reply Slicedpanman all my stuff at home connected to home network, but I stil can't find how to set my box for recording on hard disc on my network, if anyone has some sugestions please help.! Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi byte,

Are you able to get it to say "video output" on the matrix display. The furthest I can navigate to is "a/v setting"?

I'm going to try to get access to a hdmi tv tomorrow and see if I can get it sorted. I've never heard of a box where you had to switch on the scart or RCA component setting before. My Grundig freesat box has both a hdmi and scart and never gave me this kind of trouble.

byte

Yes, it says Video Output, after I press OK at "AV Setting"

I had searched for a Scart lead to test but to no avail.

The fact that there's options on the menu to choose between Scart and HDMi, plus the fact it's Linux box, makes me think it doesn't do both simultaneously, like your Grundig.

The sequence you get when you boot your box exists as it hasn't been tuned to any sats.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hi

I got my VU+ today however I can not get my Tring+ card to read can anybody help

Thanks a mill
    TCP/IP

I got my vu+ working on a pc monitor in work. There doesnt seem to be an option for scart in the A/V settings. The three options for colour format are CVBS, RGB and s-video. I've took a few photos of the screen.The links are below.

Any other ideas lads?

TCP/IP looks like you just got your box. Can you check if the scart works straight out of the box. Mine isn't working and none of the settings make a difference.
    As for your tring+ problem: have you the latest version of cccam installed? From looking at the alsat forums i think you may need this or some other CAM. You need to register for their forum to see alot of their threads.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1447/dsc00603s.jpg
    http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/7606/dsc00605ka.jpg
    http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5997/dsc00604uv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

I got my vu+ working on a pc monitor in work. There doesnt seem to be an option for scart in the A/V settings. The three options for colour format are CVBS, RGB and s-video. I've took a few photos of the screen.The links are below.

Any other ideas lads?

TCP/IP looks like you just got your box. Can you check if the scart works straight out of the box. Mine isn't working and none of the settings make a difference.
    As for your tring+ problem: have you the latest version of cccam installed? From looking at the alsat forums i think you may need this or some other CAM. You need to register for their forum to see alot of their threads.

I would recommend to update the image to the dream-elite version. It may make a difference in terms of the software settings options for this AV issue

Recommend dream elite also is installed for the Tring card. You should then be able to download cccam to allow you to read the card in the card reader and it will be able to handle EMMs etc to keep the card alive

byte

Any other ideas lads?

Christ, the stock image must be dire. I never used it much, as from day 1, I flased OpenPLi image on it.

There must be a setting elsewhere that allows you to switch outputs from HDMI to Scart (when on Scart, you'd select RGB on the Video Settings btw).

Maybe you should just flash your box with new image, like OpenPLi, or Dream Elite like Slegs said.

For installing the OpenPLi, you just need a USB pendrive. Have a root folder called vuplus, and inside, a folder called duo. Place the files you downloaded into the duo folder.

Then, switch off Vu at the back, insert pendrive, and switch back on - the box will start updating image automatically. When it has installed you switch off Vu again, but remember to remove the pendrive, or it'll start flashing again! Not sure if installing DreamElite is same?

Slegs: how does DE image compare to OpenPLi? What would make it better? I have only ever used PLi, it worked so I never bothered to change.

The VTI image fixed the scart straight away. I was afraid to use an unofficial image as the guy who sold it to me said it would invalidate the warranty but thankfully it works now.

Thanks for all the help.

byte

The VTI image fixed the scart straight away. I was afraid to use an unofficial image as the guy who sold it to me said it would invalidate the warranty but thankfully it works now.

Thanks for all the help.
    Glad you got sorted out. As you can see, the stock image seems pretty rubbish compared to others!

Also, I don't believe it invalidates your warranty - pretty sure you can reflash original image back on if you so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hi Folks,
    I ordered this box over the weekend as I'm about to take my 1st foray into the world of Linux boxes.
    I am a total newb when it comes to satellite, but research so for says this box will do all I want and more so I'm looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and learning!
    I plan to use a DE or OpenPLI image, but I am wondering is there any specific software that ye experts here could recommend?
    I've already got Dreamboxedit but any recommendations for FTP, Channel Bouqets and anything else I may be missing will be much appreciated.

Also initially I will be using a 60cm skydish with quad lnb til funds free up for a new 88cm triax dish.
    Will this limit me initially to only Astra 2? Or will it be tweakable to pick up Eurobird at 28.5?? And is there much of interest on that beam?

Sorry for the noobness of my questions but any and all help or advice will be much appreciated!

byte wrote: »
    Christ, the stock image must be dire. I never used it much, as from day 1, I flased OpenPLi image on it.

There must be a setting elsewhere that allows you to switch outputs from HDMI to Scart (when on Scart, you'd select RGB on the Video Settings btw).

Maybe you should just flash your box with new image, like OpenPLi, or Dream Elite like Slegs said.

For installing the OpenPLi, you just need a USB pendrive. Have a root folder called vuplus, and inside, a folder called duo. Place the files you downloaded into the duo folder.

Then, switch off Vu at the back, insert pendrive, and switch back on - the box will start updating image automatically. When it has installed you switch off Vu again, but remember to remove the pendrive, or it'll start flashing again! Not sure if installing DreamElite is same?

Slegs: how does DE image compare to OpenPLi? What would make it better? I have only ever used PLi, it worked so I never bothered to change.

I havent huge familiarity with all the VU+ images but from my experience of Enigma 2 on other boxes the Dream Elite image was very good. Everything is easy to find, works well and the presetup download servers have everthing you will need in Enigma 2. That along with the built in USB DTT support (not perfect yet) make this the image for VU Plus Duo in my book. Seems to be well supported with regular updates.

Yes flashing method is exactly the same as above for dream elite.

• Advertisement

byte

gedulisg wrote: »
    I just bought a 1TB hard drive and installed it inside the Vu+. This drive is accessible over my LAN.

I'm sure it's possible to map a PC drive, though I'd be wary of throughput not being enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

byte wrote: »
    I just bought a 1TB hard drive and installed it inside the Vu+. This drive is accessible over my LAN.

I'm sure it's possible to map a PC drive, though I'd be wary of throughput not being enough?

I'd have reservations too, especially wiritng High Def content to a networked hard drive on a 100BaseT network.

byte

carbsy wrote: »
    I'd have reservations too, especially with HD content on a 100BaseT network.
    Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.

Guys a stupid question but I can not get with my Tring card or Sky card to read in this box. I have had many dreamboxs and never a problem. Any ideas I am going mad. I am using the dream elite image and have tried cccam 2.1.4 and cccam/newcs and nothing. I have created new configs just in case and still can not read any cards. As soon as they go in my dreambox 800 all is fine, its the exact same configs what gives. I bought the box of Slegs by the way. Do the cards go in with the chip facing down like the dreambox.

Thanks Guys

byte

Yeah, the chips face down.

Slots work OK for me, though I've only used SECA and Viaccess cards, not sure about Conax.

I'm using OpenPLi with CCcam 2.1.4

Thx Byte looks like I need to buy a conax cam for the tring card according to Alsat forum

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭TorresLegend

Love this box lads, still waiting for my new dish to go up but went ahead and installed a Seagate 1TB Hard drive inside the receiver, flashed it with Dream Elite BH 1.3.3 and eventually got my sky card working properly including the sports channels which was a pain til I figured it out. Dish is going up on Tuesday so I'll be cancelling Sky and popping the Cyfra card in there. Great box, I like the image I've chosen but can't compare it to any others as its my first linux box. A couple of the plug ins are buggy like Mytube but I'll have a another play with it after work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

What is a cyfra card?

And what is a tring card?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Thx Byte looks like I need to buy a conax cam for the tring card according to Alsat forum

Id be surprised but it may be the case. Normally its the software emu (in this case cccam) that does all the work. Have you edited the cccam.cfg file to recognise your card reader?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement