Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sattje

In the past year I've read quite a lot about Vu+duo. Always positive. 3 Days ago Broadband TV News published Dream seeks injunction against Satco Europe. Guess Dream got trouble with the success of Vu + duo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Sattje wrote: »
    In the past year I've read quite a lot about Vu+duo. Always positive. 3 Days ago Broadband TV News published Dream seeks injunction against Satco Europe. Guess Dream got trouble with the success of Vu + duo ?

Interesting. From the start though I've had half a mind to see about changing that boot screen when I have the time to look into it. To my mind it looks a bit tacky. It reminds me of Cracker/ Hacker group logos on the Commodore Amiga.

I may have bought mine just in time. Then again, at worst I guess we can expect a firmware update that changes the bootscreen and advertising to not mention Enigma. (I've never known what that is anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

No IMDB Match

Has anyone noticed, the IMDB search plugin seems to be bolleauxed. (Press Red Twice). It is returning no match for everything. Anyone else?

dnme wrote: »
    No IMDB Match

Has anyone noticed, the IMDB search plugin seems to be bolleauxed. (Press Red Twice). It is returning no match for everything. Anyone else?

Yup. Same here now you mention it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

dnme wrote: »
    No IMDB Match

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8156-No-IMDB-match-anyone-else-having-this-issue&highlight=imdb

issue been looked at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

whats the deal with plugging a UHF DTT Aerial into one of these bad boys for my RTE's etc,
    i see alot of people using a usb dtt, i had one of these a few years ago when i travelled in oz, wasnt great on the laptop, so Im kind of wide to it now !

if it can be done on the vu+ duo hows does flicking between my sat and aerial work, ?
    also can i record the aerial channels ? I presume so..but no idea ?

cheers

iPwnage wrote: »
    whats the deal with plugging a UHF DTT Aerial into one of these bad boys for my RTE's etc,
    i see alot of people using a usb dtt, i had one of these a few years ago when i travelled in oz, wasnt great on the laptop, so Im kind of wide to it now !

if it can be done on the vu+ duo hows does flicking between my sat and aerial work, ?
    also can i record the aerial channels ? I presume so..but no idea ?

cheers

If your aerial can pick up the channels it's great. The signal where I currently have my Duo/ aerial isn't ideal. The Duo didn't pick up the channels until I moved it to a different room. Then when I brought it back, the channels were still listed and I was able to get them on by careful movement of the aerial.

Now it's pretty steady, but up to a few days ago ocassionally when someone moved around in the wrong place it knocked it off for a while. I think I've placed the aerial in a place with a more consistent signal now though, so it stays on. Unlike analogue of course, the signal is either on or it's not -there's no snowy half-picture. More or less.

Switching between DTT and satt channels on the Duo is excellent -no difference in pauses or anything like that. And also, with the Duo of course you can set them up in any sequence you like.

The only teensy half-niggle I've been able to find is if I switch on the Duo and it's showing a Satt channel, the EPG usually doesn't list what's on any Irish channel until I go to one of them. Then it'll show the listings correctly for all channels no matter what channel I'm on. I expect this is because it leaves the usb slot alone until it's specifically called upon. I don't rate this as a problem though. If anything it's more efficient.

It's a pity RTE decided to show the Eurovision final on RTE1 by the way. I would've enjoyed listening to Marty instead of Graham Norton (who wasn't bad himself), but the difference in non-HD Vs HD is ridiculously massive -especially on a 10ft screen.

Is there any news on when the rest of the Irish channels will be going HD? RTE 1 especially of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

The only teensy half-niggle I've been able to find is if I switch on the Duo and it's showing a Satt channel, the EPG usually doesn't list what's on any Irish channel until I go to one of them. Then it'll show the listings correctly for all channels no matter what channel I'm on. I expect this is because it leaves the usb slot alone until it's specifically called upon. I don't rate this as a problem though. If anything it's more efficient.

I haven't noticed this.
    I have the epg set to automatically refresh at 4am every night.

What I have noticed is if I have a zap timer set, and after is activates, if I then press the epg button, or the tv button, it jumps back to the channel that was showing before the timer activated.

I am on the vix image.

cheers gunther, well i was planning to sticking a uhf on the chimney, only 40 quid, shouldn't be any reception problems then i'd imagine, im in lmk city area ?

awesome thats me sold, ditching the sky as soon as i get the funds for my setup,

think ill get the Wavefrontier T90 dish, the missus will like to have her Italian channels back, we had one of those lidl box's before, but when we moved house i didnt bother to put it back up again

so am i right in thinking : t90 dish, a couple of lnb's, uhf aerial, vu+ duo ='s all my fta channels, rte's & hotbird sat channels also and the recording functionality of the sky+ box

cheers

That's right iPwnage, although I currently have the FTA channels and Irish DTT. What would I get on Hotbird and would I need a motorised LNB? (I'm not certain what I have at the moment -a quad LNB I believe, with 4 lines down, all pointing to 28.whatever-it-is, unmoved since I had Sky).

Also, you may not need a UHF aerial. A little aerial comes with the DTT tuner usually. That may be sufficient. Or else, a plug-in aerial should do for you. Lidl is doing one at the moment for 11.99.

I'm using one much the same as that for Irish DTT. I bought it a few years back for around 90quid. Does need to be plugged in is the only thing, but your aerial in the chimney could too, depending on the signal.

...and by the way, the Duo is not for the faint-hearted. I read this entire post and some more stuff elsewhere, but I was still kinda lost once I started. Instead of bogging myself down for hours/ days in one go, I came to it gradually over a couple of weeks and eventually got it all the way I wanted. Looking back now I kinda can't remember what was so daunting. It seems straightforward enough now. :)

...You will also need a SATA hard disk and a USB memory stick (at least 4gigs I'd guess) for storing the on-the-fly tv so you can pause live tv, etc.
    And patience. And a somewhat-techy frame of mind. And a willingness to traverse mostly-badly-documented features and forums.

• Advertisement

ha, cheers wont be much of a problem there, linux nerd and student software developer here !!

as for hotbird, no need for a motorised sat if you use the sat i plan to use, it can capture several satellites in the one go, as i understand it...

http://www.satworld.ie/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=17

Sounds like you know more that me. :)

..So what would Hotbird give me?

Sounds like you know more that me. :)

..So what would Hotbird give me?
    hows your Italian !! from memory rai and rtl stuff, there were about 10 fta she watched ! also grand to keep her parents gob's shut when they'd come visit, cos they havent a lick of english !! :D

http://www.flysat.com/hotbird.php

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

iPwnage wrote: »
    cheers gunther, well i was planning to sticking a uhf on the chimney, only 40 quid, shouldn't be any reception problems then i'd imagine, im in lmk city area ?

awesome thats me sold, ditching the sky as soon as i get the funds for my setup,

think ill get the Wavefrontier T90 dish, the missus will like to have her Italian channels back, we had one of those lidl box's before, but when we moved house i didnt bother to put it back up again

so am i right in thinking : t90 dish, a couple of lnb's, uhf aerial, vu+ duo ='s all my fta channels, rte's & hotbird sat channels also and the recording functionality of the sky+ box

cheers

WaveFrontier Dish, while an excellent bit of kit could be a bit of overkill and expensive depending on what kind of spread you want to get!
    A standard Triax TD88 will allow a 20 degree spread(More with modding)at less than half the cost, I have 9e, 13e, 16e, 19.2e. 23.5e and 28.2e all on the one dish and pull in about 9000 channels,
    If I understand what your after correctly its mainly 13e and 28.2 your after? Easily acheived on a Triax ;) without the expense or difficulty initially setting up a T90, The T90 is the dish to get if you want to add LNBs and make a full hobby out of the box ;)
    As for plugging in a UHF aerial into the box(Which seems to be your aim from your post), You'll still need to plug that aerial into a USB DTT on the box, the box won't handle a UHF feed without the USB tuner.

PS: Whichever Dish setup you go with don't forget to factor in the Diseqc switches and at least dual LNBs to allow a full multituner PVR set up from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 enonboy

hi there all....my apologies if this has been asked before but I have checked some of the posts here but I was unable to find what I was looking for....I live in Limerick and have a VU DUO...Its working like a dream on vix 2.1.4.
    I have two areas that I have attempted to get working over the last few days to no avail...one is how to backup my image/files and the other is getting my DTT working...its doing my head in at the moment.
    Has anyone out there used a known good tutorial to get these working?..if so I would be very grateful if you could post them or direct me to the relevent area where they are...thanks for your help.

enonboy wrote: »
    hi there all....my apologies if this has been asked before but I have checked some of the posts here but I was unable to find what I was looking for....I live in Limerick and have a VU DUO...Its working like a dream on vix 2.1.4.
    I have two areas that I have attempted to get working over the last few days to no avail...one is how to backup my image/files and the other is getting my DTT working...its doing my head in at the moment.
    Has anyone out there used a known good tutorial to get these working?..if so I would be very grateful if you could post them or direct me to the relevent area where they are...thanks for your help.

Easiest way to back up your settings on Vix is menu>setup>vix>image manager then its press yellow to create image.
    I usually FTP (Vuduo>hdd>Imagebackups)into the box after I create the image and move a copy of the USB flashable image onto my laptop too(for a bit of redundancy)
    VIX also has autosettings backup, check your plugin menu and make sure its enabled, This allows you to flash a new image and restore settings easily.

As for USB DTT, you need to download the driver from plugin feeds(assuming your stick is listed) insert the stick and reboot.
    You will need to scan for the Irish channels but all the settings you need are here in the thread, search will find them.

banie01 wrote: »
    As for USB DTT, you need to download the driver from plugin feeds(assuming your stick is listed) insert the stick and reboot.
    You will need to scan for the Irish channels but all the settings you need are here in the thread, search will find them.

Advising to search such a large thread can feel like a bit of a kick in the teeth to a needy soul. Enonboy, after following Banie01's advice, let us know where you're stuck and we'll see if we can find an answer.

The hardest thing I found was having the Duo find the channels in the first place. If you think your aerial isn't up to the job it might be problematic, as a teensy move in any direction could sort it. Best thing is to try to ensure a good signal pickup (?? ..good plugin aerial or roof-job I suppose) and then a channel search on the USB DTT stick.

...One other thing, if your usb stick it set up properly you should see 3 tuners listed in the tuner setup screen (at least I think that's what it's called) instead of the default 2.

If you're not seeing the DTT one, you need to get this on first.

Hi banie01...thanks for your prompt reply....I have started the image backup (I think anyway) as per your instructions...is everything backed up after completion?...if my box crashed for instance will I be able to restore every bit of info including channels etc from this backup file?
    the backup only took about 2 mins...would this be about right? (I read somewhere else on other threads that it takes over 10mins)
    I now have a file called 20110518_134303 in my image manager (device:/media/hdd)... is this similiar to what you guys are getting?
    regarding the USB DTT...does the stick need to be inserted in the rear of the box or does it matter if in the front or rear?

thanks

Thanks gunther....I know for sure that the aerial is sound as I am able to receive the DTT channels perfectly when plugged into my mpeg4 enabled TV...I have an Avermedia Volar HX usb which I purchased several months ago for my laptop (works perfectly) but was hoping I could use this on my VU rather than having to purchase a new stick...I have downloaded the two plugins associated with avermedia from the plugins menu but the box still does not rec the usb at all...its possible that the drivers downloaded are not compatible....if so,can anyone out there tell me what usb DTT that definitely works so I can purchase same...thanks

Advising to search such a large thread can feel like a bit of a kick in the teeth to a needy soul. Enonboy, after following Banie01's advice, let us know where you're stuck and we'll see if we can find an answer.

The hardest thing I found was having the Duo find the channels in the first place. If you think your aerial isn't up to the job it might be problematic, as a teensy move in any direction could sort it. Best thing is to try to ensure a good signal pickup (?? ..good plugin aerial or roof-job I suppose) and then a channel search on the USB DTT stick.

...One other thing, if your usb stick it set up properly you should see 3 tuners listed in the tuner setup screen (at least I think that's what it's called) instead of the default 2.

If you're not seeing the DTT one, you need to get this on first.

Hi banie01...thanks for your prompt reply....I have started the image backup (I think anyway) as per your instructions...is everything backed up after completion?...if my box crashed for instance will I be able to restore every bit of info including channels etc from this backup file?
    the backup only took about 2 mins...would this be about right? (I read somewhere else on other threads that it takes over 10mins)
    I now have a file called 20110518_134303 in my image manager (device:/media/hdd)... is this similiar to what you guys are getting?
    regarding the USB DTT...does the stick need to be inserted in the rear of the box or does it matter if in the front or rear?

thanks

Hi enonboy,
    Yes, that back up will sort out your channel lists/plugins/settings if you need to restore. It basically just takes a snapshot of your box's flash settings it may seem small but as your media is stored on the HDD anyway its all thats needed for the restore ;)
    And yes thats the right file, its formated in a year/month/day time format to help you track multiple images.

With rgds the USB, I'd leave it in the back. Looks neater and keeps the front free for updating.

• Advertisement

...I have downloaded the two plugins associated with avermedia from the plugins menu but the box still does not rec the usb at all...its possible that the drivers downloaded are not compatible....if so,can anyone out there tell me what usb DTT that definitely works so I can purchase same...thanks

If you don't have any luck with your device, I got this one and I can confirm it works with the Duo. It also comes with a little USB 6" (or so) extender, that enables the device to fit in the 2nd slot in the back. Without that I wouldn't have been able to fit 2 devices in the back because my memory stick is too chunky -and so is this DTT stick, but not a problem with this little extender.

thanks for all the help folks....I am still stuffed with getting my dtt usb to work....I may be doing this all wrong....is there a small tutorial out there that I can cross refference to ensure that I am indeed doing this correctly?

Thanks again.

Not that I know of. But from what I remember, once you plug in the usb DTT and install the plugin, it becomes available in the Tuners list. Do you see that? If so, more info required.

How do I know for sure that I have the plugin downloaded?...I think I have them downloaded but they do not appear in the plugin browser...when I 'choose plugin' and go to dvb plugins they do not appear here...I dont know why (there are only 4 installed...suntek and wintv)....how do I get the avermedia drivers into this section as I am more than baffled at this stage...thanks

In the plugins section you choose which device you have. If your device is not listed I believe that means it's not supported at this time (in VIX).
    ie. the ones that are listed aren't currently installed unless you choose to install them.

How do I know for sure that I have the plugin downloaded?...I think I have them downloaded but they do not appear in the plugin browser...when I 'choose plugin' and go to dvb plugins they do not appear here...I dont know why (there are only 4 installed...suntek and wintv)....how do I get the avermedia drivers into this section as I am more than baffled at this stage...thanks

When you have the drivers downloaded they won't appear in your normal plugin browser(They will however show when you go to the 'remove plugins screen')
    Also a good indication that you have the drivers downloaded is that they no longer appear in the 'download plugins' as you already have.

What you should do now is insert your USB DTT and reboot the VU+,
    Then after reboot press menu>information>about if the correct driver for your stick is available it will show as Tuner C (A/B are the sat tuners).
    Could you check this and see if your Tuner is listed?
    If its not I suggest you get the tuner that Gunther suggested, or change to a different image with better DTT support.(but as other images aren't as user friendly or intuitive as VIX thats a bad idea for beginners)

yes i think so gunther...will have to buy a win t...I have been reading recently though that there are issues at times with this stick...is your ok?...what version of vix are you using?

I'm using the latest VIX ..whatever it is now.

I think all issues in VIX with the Win T have been sorted -one of the problems with forum threads -if you go back far enough, you get a better foundation, but chances are what you're reading is no longer applicable.

I've not had any problems with this usb tuner anyway. This (latest) is the only version of VIX and the only Duo image I've used.

hi banie...thanks for your response....yes indeed...after downloading the avermedia plugins they did not appear on the plugins list...this is what stumped me...it is now certain that my stick wont work...will have to purchase the win t...its only 25stg I think so wont break the bank...thanks all who helped...BTW...as asked on my previous response...is there currently issues with the
    Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T USB Stick?

Thanks in advance for your help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, I'm still having issues with mine, and tbh, I wish I'd stumped up the extra for the Sundtek one, which apparently is more stable.

The issues I get is that it stops working after some hours and I get "Tune failed" errors.

An Enigma reboot fixes it for another short while.

I had thought that a swapfile had sorted it, but no, it still acts up.

Have to say, I'm a bit jealous of Gunther, who says he's no issues with his! :D Maybe it's plugins I have or something that causes conflict? I dunno.

Tony, do you still use the Nova T?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement