Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

irishchris wrote: »
    hi mate
    one thing i would make certain of is to keep the plugins installed to a bare minimum. dont be afraid to install plugins you like and would use on a regular basis but do not install plugins that are not required or useful daily to you. the main plugins i use are incorporated in the vix image anyway now eg autotimer etc. to me also there is definitely a memory issue somewhere and am finding several issues eg erratic vix spinners and swap file issues but rest assured these are all been worked on by the team and will take a bit longer yet to find the cause and solution in it but we will. also apologies mate that this is not always conveyed in the best way by the team ;) but don't be put off posting on the support site or if not pm or post here and i will help out as much as i can for you mate.

Thanks Chris,
    The epg and autotimer integration in VIX is hands down the best available on any of the images out there and its there out of the box rather than fiddling with plugins and multiquick button assingnments!
    Tis nice to know I'm not going mad regarding the memory issues/spinning VIX.
    I've already uninstalled a few plug ins but as I'm not 100% sure which the vix image requires to run, Is there a list of the neccesary core plug ins available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Can anyone recommend a good channel list with favorite packages,and a good epg for the vu+ duo.

Also what's the best image that most of you guys on here use to view the Irish dry channels with sundec USB dtt stick?.

I have a external 1tb WD hdd but I cannot seem to get it to work or recognised when connected to my vu+
    I am using a pli image.any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

best image is vix 2.1 or openpli, you need to format your drive in fat32 or linux ext3 before vuduo can see it in device manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

dfdream wrote: »

BTW - I ordered one for a friend as well and he doesnt want it now so if anyone interested in my spare Sundtek USB Tuner let me know....

D

How much are you asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

stanley1 wrote: »
    best image is vix 2.1 or openpli, you need to format your drive in fat32 or linux ext3 before vuduo can see it in device manager.

I'm almost ready to switch on my Duo for the first time (still reading/ downloading stuff). Now that I'm this close I don't think I'm ready for it. Eek!

Anyway, I installed a 500GB HD last night, formatted in NTFS. So I'm wasting my time trying to get this to work then? Fat32 is useless surely due to its filesize limitations. I have no problem using Ext3, except it won't be as useable/ accessible (perhaps?) when I'm in Windows. I use both Ubuntu and Windows 7 equally.

Also, the USB flash files I have are in a folder labelled "Solo" rather than Duo. Since I have a Duo, is it safe to use these, just renaming the folder name or are there Duo-specific flash files? (if so, a link would be appreciated).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I'm almost ready to switch on my Duo for the first time (still reading/ downloading stuff). Now that I'm this close I don't think I'm ready for it. Eek!

Anyway, I installed a 500GB HD last night, formatted in NTFS. So I'm wasting my time trying to get this to work then? Fat32 is useless surely due to its filesize limitations. I have no problem using Ext3, except it won't be as useable/ accessible (perhaps?) when I'm in Windows. I use both Ubuntu and Windows 7 equally.

Also, the USB flash files I have are in a folder labelled "Solo" rather than Duo. Since I have a Duo, is it safe to use these, just renaming the folder name or are there Duo-specific flash files? (if so, a link would be appreciated).

for the duo to be able to see the drive, you need it to be fat32, then you can format it within the duo, to be ext2/3.
    the way that you will be using the hd inside the duo from your laptop/desktop, will be over nfs/samba, and so will be filesystem independant, so it will not matter if it is ext3, when working in w7.

I don't know what files you have in the solo folder of your flash drive, but if you want to install firmware for your duo, then it needs to be in a in a folder on your drive called ./vuplus/duo (just extract the files to the root of the flash drive, and file structure should be ok)

OK thanks. I just got the Vix 2.1 Duo files here.
    The previous ones I got were for the Solo, apparently.

Just saw this samsung external dvd reader/writer in lidl for €50 next week.

I presume that usb dvd should work on the duo, but can anyone confirm that it will not?

I know that lidl stuff tend to be highly proprietary, but this is a samsung, so you would think that it would work under linux.

Proprietary how? With what? I've never bought a Lidl hardware, but I've bought a lot of it from Aldi without any issues. I bought a Medion (Hitachi) 1TB HD from Aldi a couple of years ago. I've never had any issues using it on anything with a usb port (that can access external HDs that is). I haven't tried it with the Duo yet though.

It doesn't answer your question I know, but I have a friend who swears he'll never again buy a Samsung drive. He had two over the past while that each crashed and killed everything on board within 1 - 2 years.

To balance that, as part of my shifting of my HD furniture to make way for the Duo I discovered that one of my PC HDs is a 500GB Samsung. I must have had it for at least 5 years without any issues.

So with all that, I'm only guessing, but I'd be willing to bet the Lidl drive would work. It's easy to return things without any fuss there if not anyway.

Incidentally, after you replied yesterday about the NTFS HD in my Duo, I left it there to see what would happen. Happily it was picked up and it worked! I still formatted it within the unit and it still says NTFS.

Also, I had bought a 16GB USB stick that I didn't check before inserting. That says the format is W95 (I think -whatever that is). Anyway I formatted that and it stayed in that type too.

...I got Crossepg setup before finishing up last night. The channels seemed to be on there, albeit in a total heap, but after a quick skim through it started saying "No tuner available" -or something like that. No channels worked after that (I only have 1 line-in in the room where I'm testing, before I move it to the 'main room', after it's all working properly). I wasn't recording anything. That I know of.

Anyway, it looks like I'll have no time to even look at it today. I fear I'd lose 4 hours before I knew it if I even began, so I'll wait until tomorrow evening at the earliest before I can say if I still have that problem. But if it rings a bell with anyone by all means let me know what to look into.

Once I have that working, next step is to install Chris's Retro skin. After that -Irish Channels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

set tuners A and B to Astra 28.2 and do an automatic scan, crosspeg should be set to 28.2 opentv, download epg to usb drive along with picons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

I don't see why it won't work, but what exactly are you hoping to use it for?

I've tried an external DVD drive, the DVD player function doesn't work with most commercial DVDs, and the DVD authoring doesn't work either. There are a whole load of modules missing, I think it needs a default skin too.

Persian HD project image has DVD burning support built in, I believe.
    kierank01 wrote: »
    Just saw this samsung external dvd reader/writer in lidl for €50 next week.

I presume that usb dvd should work on the duo, but can anyone confirm that it will not?

I know that lidl stuff tend to be highly proprietary, but this is a samsung, so you would think that it would work under linux.

Just looking to play dvds really.

About the proprietary thing, I had hugh problems years ago with a 'winmoden', which required software to allow it to work under windows. The software was only available for windows, and so when I see something like 'windows software included', I tend to steer clear of it, because if it needs additional software to work in windows, then there porbably isn't any software (yet) to make it work under linux.

Whatever software is included is probably CD/DVD burning stuff, maybe some extra bits for DVD-RAM support. It's a pity Lidl don't give the model no., you could search around for compatibility. Still, I can't imagine it wouldn't work, it's just a drive.

On the DVD playing front, it seems I was mistaken, I've just tried a load of DVDs with my drive (LG GE20LU10), and they all work. Plug in drive, stick a disc in, and a popup appears "Play DVD", and away it goes. I think I was trying to browse the menus directly, which was a bit hit and miss.

Hey I formatted my external WD 1tb hdd and have 500gb fat32 and the rest is for ntfs.but the vu+ duo won't recognise the HDD.
    any advice do I have to go in to menu and set it up from there?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

u have to let the duo format the hard drive lads with the orginal firmware that way you will have the least amount of problems

bassy wrote: »
    Hey I formatted my external WD 1tb hdd and have 500gb fat32 and the rest is for ntfs.but the vu+ duo won't recognise the HDD.
    any advice do I have to go in to menu and set it up from there?.

Did you go to "Device manager" and set mountpoints, ie hdd/movie? I'm not sure if the vu+ can use NTFS for main hdd, you might have to initialise it first (ie format it)

It's fat32 hdd,I didn't go to device manager and set mount points.can u give me some pointers as to what I should do cheers.
    rurs wrote: »
    Did you go to "Device manager" and set mountpoints, ie hdd/movie? I'm not sure if the vu+ can use NTFS for main hdd, you might have to initialise it first (ie format it)

Which image do you use? Can you find an entry like "Devices manager"? Open it, and it should list all the drives connected to vu+. Then there should be a mention of "mountpoints", open that, and on the entry for your fat32 hard disk, it will say "not mapped", use the cursor keys to change this to media/hdd, and if you have a usb key, change it to media/usb.

Then reboot for the changes to take effect.
    bassy wrote: »
    It's fat32 hdd,I didn't go to device manager and set mount points.can u give me some pointers as to what I should do cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

I seem to have come to an impasse: Not sure if my Hard Disk and USB are working. Well timeshift (assuming livepause/ reverse is proof) seems to be working, so I guess something is. Let me explain where I am...

Both are recognised. I formatted both within the unit. I set the HDD as /media/hdd and the usb (16GB) as /media/usb.
    I enabled 64MB swapfile (on the hdd?).

Whenever I press record I get "No HDD found or HDD not initialized!"

When I try to Initialize either drive nothing happens, but when I exit out of all menus after doing this I get a message "Initializing storage device... Error: mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
    warning: Unable to get device geometry for /dev/sdb1
    /dev/sdb1: No such file or directory while setting up superblock"

...This is the error I just got when initializing the USB drive, which I re-formatted earlier in Ubuntu as Ext3... well one of the Ext3s anyway. There were 3 or 4 versions to choose from.
    Before that, the USB stick came formatted as Fat32. Same errors on initialize in the Duo, so I'm not sure if any of the above has anything to do with the problem.

Timeshift Recording is set to /media/hdd. I can't seem to be able to switch that to /media/usb, as I'd expect (ie. in the Timeshift Recording option left/right won't allow me to choose /media/usb, even though the usb stick is set up as such, as I said)... ?

Any help appreciated.

?

• Advertisement

Also, can someone tell me if it's ok to whip out the usb stick while it's on or do I need to switch it all off beforehand? ...Or is there an option to disable it before pulling it? ..Reason is I was going to copy picons and skins on there (assuming this is correct usage).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Just use filezilla and FTP the picons over. No need to take out the USB then

Thanks. Does anyone have any suggestions on my HD/ USB stick problem?

I _think_ the HD is working but the stick isn't (16GB Duracell). When I removed the USB stick yesterday and tried it on the PC there were no files on there other than a trashcan. If it was being used for Timeshift would there be files on there?

It seems like the HD is working, but when I press record it says no hd found, but in all the options it picks it up and displays & mounts it correctly.

If the HD is _not_ working, then how is it that I can pause and rewind live TV?
    I've also set it to stop Timeshift on Record, just in case one was interfering with the other. But no difference.

HD is set to /media/hdd
    USB stick is set to /media/usb

Timeshift Recording is set to /media/hdd. I can't seem to be able to switch that to /media/usb, as I'd expect (ie. in the Timeshift Recording option left/right won't allow me to choose /media/usb, even though the usb stick is set up as such). ...And, what's a Bookmark in this context and how do I create one?

?

what happens if you try timeshift while the usb is unplugged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Wwatfa

a weird thing is happening with me ! some of the channels are not showing any EPG on my Vu+ duo (black hole 1.4.6) and some others are showing !

specially in the channel selection the info does not show up !

on my dreambox 800 SE with newnigma 2 image, all the channels show an EPG on menu selection !

is the problem with the blackhole image? or is there a setting i am not switching on ??

what happens if you try timeshift while the usb is unplugged?

Just tried this. Pause/ rewind, etc. worked as normal, so I assume this means Timeshift is working via the hdd. Still when I press record I'm told "No HDD found".

I'm using Vix 2.1. Might these problems be related to this release? Should I try 2.0 or is there something obvious I'm missing?

If I had it set up right in a previous release perhaps it'd be picked up automatically in 2.1...? I'm sure it's an option somewhere I'm missing though.

when you go to: setup>system>recording paths

what do you have?

I have
    default movie location: /hdd/movie
    timer record location: <default movie location>
    instant record location: <default movie location>
    timeshift location: /media/hdd

These are the default settings, as far as I can remember.
    I do not have a usb drive plugged in normally.

when you go to: setup>system>recording paths

what do you have?

I have
    default movie location: /hdd/movie
    timer record location: <default movie location>
    instant record location: <default movie location>
    timeshift location: /media/hdd

These are the default settings, as far as I can remember.
    I do not have a usb drive plugged in normally.

This is the problem. I have the same options as you even though the usb drive is set up as /media/usb.
    When I try to change the 'timeshift location' there is no option to change it to anything else. In this option it refers to "Bookmarks", but none are available other than /media/hdd. Should I create /media/usb as a bookmark first? If so, how? I see no mention of bookmarks anywhere other than here.

...I was wondering if this problem comes from getting the channels before setting up the hdd, rather than the other way around.. it automatically began timeshifting on the hdd because I hadn't yet inserted the usb stick at this time. Or something.

If the USB stick was formatted incorrectly would it show at all? This seems to show. It seems to format within the duo. It seems to mount properly (/media/usb), but it just doesn't seem to be working. ?

Similarly, the hdd is working for timeshift, but "not found" when it comes to recording.

What gives!?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is the problem. I have the same options as you even though the usb drive is set up as /media/usb.
    When I try to change the 'timeshift location' there is no option to change it to anything else. In this option it refers to "Bookmarks", but none are available other than /media/hdd. Should I create /media/usb as a bookmark first? If so, how? I see no mention of bookmarks anywhere other than here.

...I was wondering if this problem comes from getting the channels before setting up the hdd, rather than the other way around.. it automatically began timeshifting on the hdd because I hadn't yet inserted the usb stick at this time. Or something.

If the USB stick was formatted incorrectly would it show at all? This seems to show. It seems to format within the duo. It seems to mount properly (/media/usb), but it just doesn't seem to be working. ?

Similarly, the hdd is working for timeshift, but "not found" when it comes to recording.

What gives!?

Gunther with regards to the hard drive issue, there was an issue with Vix not initialising the drive(Don't know if it still exists in 2.1)
    But the workaround is to initialise the drive within the official Vu+ Image and then reflash to whichever image you use ;)

As for your recording path issue, when you go to the bookmark options, press menu button to switch to filelist then you can browse and select the correct directory.

Hopefully that will help get you running smoother ;)

Have a look here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?2894-Disc-installation-initialisation-illustrated-tutorial-v2
    And here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?213-Basic-newbie-setup-procedure-for-VU-Duo-for-Dummies

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    As for your recording path issue, when you go to the bookmark options, press menu button to switch to filelist then you can browse and select the correct directory.

AHAAAA! Yes this was it. I've now managed to set the USB as the timeshift location. Thankyouverymuch. ..Who'd have thought to press menu like that??

Gunther with regards to the hard drive issue, there was an issue with Vix not initialising the drive(Don't know if it still exists in 2.1)
    But the workaround is to initialise the drive within the official Vu+ Image and then reflash to whichever image you use ;)

Hm. I'm not sure how to do this -or is it essential in the first place? Initialization gives an error for me (in 2.1), as outlined earlier, but the hdd was working with timeshift, so surely it's some setting rather than that it needs initializing?

If it _does_ need initializing (even though it appears to be formatted/ setup and mounted correctly), how do I do this in the 'official VU+ image' given that I have Vix 2.1 installed?

Thanks. I've been through those and I don't see anything that sorts this problem. As with all of this though, I don't deny the answer could be staring me in the face, but I'm hoping it's some other 'there-but-not-quite' option as with the usb stick above.

All help appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement