Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Just retune for the specific transponder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I never adjusted for the BBC HD changeover... what's the best/ easiest way to do this on the Duo? Should I just retune? Will this affect timers and auto-timers?

1. select BBC One HD on tv, You should get blank screen.

2. Press Menu/Setup/Service searching/Manual scan

3. Go down to System and change DVB S to DVB S2 using right of circle on remote.

4. Go down to symbol rate and change to 23000 using number keys on remote

4. Go to FEC and change to 8/9 using left of circle on remote.

5 Press ok. Box will retune BBC hd channels. Press exit to exit menu and your done!

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Yes, latest version
    No, swapfile
    Signal fine.

Many people are having the problem.

I'd strongly recommend a swapfile...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

swapfiles are for bloated images ...

You only need to use a swapfile if you are low on memory, if you have no additional plugins, etc then the issue could be image related if you need to use a swapfile

type
    df -h

then
    free

to see how much of your system is being used up

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

Robxxx7 wrote: »

You only need to use a swapfile if you are low on memory, if you have no additional plugins, etc then the issue could be image related if you need to use a swapfile

I agree, that's why I got rid of my swapfile about 2 months ago after monitoring my mem, cpu usage and io usage using the "top" command on the Duo - the "top" shows you real time usage and I use some plugins like Mytube and I have OSCAM and Cccam loaded but only OSCAM running. I also regularly record multiple programs on DTT and SAT simultaneously.

With "top" utility I could see I always had spare memory, so I deleted my swapfile and moved my picons, epg.dat and timeshift from my 16GB USB stick to my HDD drive and removed my 16Gb USB stick. Ever since I have never had any spinning vix or had to reboot my box. Before I did all that, I used to have the odd hang but after - absolutely none.

• Advertisement

jgc115 wrote: »
    With "top" utility I could see I always had spare memory, so I deleted my swapfile and moved my picons, epg.dat and timeshift from my 16GB USB stick to my HDD drive and removed my 16Gb USB stick. Ever since I have never had any spinning vix or had to reboot my box. Before I did all that, I used to have the odd hang but after - absolutely none.

I too have similar setup to you (except swapfile) Picons, epg.dat and timeshift to my HDD drive. No usb stick. My Dtt works flawlessly too.

Maybe the USB stick is causing difficulties for some users with DTT.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Oho!

Maybe you're onto something.

I initially had the USB drive in for Picons, as I was led to believe that having them on the HDD would cause it to get accessed too often and lead to failure. However, in hindsight, a HDD should manage many years with regular accessing. Now though, the USB drive handles Picons, Swap file, EPG data.

Could it be a case that the data transfer rate of the USB ports is shared across both ports? So, with Nova in action, along with the pendrive being accessed for various stuff, there's slowdown, and inevitably one gives up? Or lack of power to drive both USB ports simultaneously? I'd imagine the Nova requires a fair bit of the available power.

What I do notice, if I watch a channel for an extended period and change over, the VIX icon spins while it waits for the HDD to waken up for whatever reason.

I will, time permitting over the weekend, change my setup to the above (still not sure if I should leave the USB for swapfile only?) and see if the Nova actually works properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I agree, that's why I got rid of my swapfile about 2 months ago after monitoring my mem, cpu usage and io usage using the "top" command on the Duo - the "top" shows you real time usage and I use some plugins like Mytube and I have OSCAM and Cccam loaded but only OSCAM running. I also regularly record multiple programs on DTT and SAT simultaneously.

Interesting jgc.
    I'm on BH because of the awful constant VIX spinner - have swapfile on a usb stick along with picons and epg, on BH it works 95% uptime with the other 5% DTT failing causing me to reboot. On Vix, it was a nightmare, completely unusable.
    I'm going to try Vix again with the way you have it setup and see how it goes - no usb stick, no swapfile.
    My DTT stick can only be used on Vix with a special plugin so maybe this will affect it too - I'll report back here.

Just be wary that if you put picons on your HDD, and your HDD is sleeping then when changing channels you could still get the spinner appearing whilst the HDD spins up.
    Picons should work without issue on USB stick.
    Timeshift and recordings should work on the HDD without issue. Just those process' that require an active regular access should be used on USB.

If by having 2 USB ports in operation (DTT stick and USB stick for Picons etc) and it causes issues then it may have nothing to do with lack of swap or memory but as mentioned power issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

byte wrote: »
    Oho!

Or lack of power to drive both USB ports simultaneously? I'd imagine the Nova requires a fair bit of the available power.

I can confirm that there is a power limiting factor on the vu+.

I got a usb powered dvd player, and it would not work without a powered hub

• Advertisement

Just be wary that if you put picons on your HDD, and your HDD is sleeping then when changing channels you could still get the spinner appearing whilst the HDD spins up.
    Picons should work without issue on USB stick.
    Timeshift and recordings should work on the HDD without issue. Just those process' that require an active regular access should be used on USB.

If by having 2 USB ports in operation (DTT stick and USB stick for Picons etc) and it causes issues then it may have nothing to do with lack of swap or memory but as mentioned power issues..

If you are using the hdd for timeshift, then picons should be ok on hdd also, as the hd would already be spun up.

I have everything on hd, and do not see very many spinning vix's

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

byte wrote: »
    Oho!

Maybe you're onto something.

I initially had the USB drive in for Picons, as I was led to believe that having them on the HDD would cause it to get accessed too often and lead to failure. However, in hindsight, a HDD should manage many years with regular accessing. Now though, the USB drive handles Picons, Swap file, EPG data.

Could it be a case that the data transfer rate of the USB ports is shared across both ports? So, with Nova in action, along with the pendrive being accessed for various stuff, there's slowdown, and inevitably one gives up? Or lack of power to drive both USB ports simultaneously? I'd imagine the Nova requires a fair bit of the available power.

What I do notice, if I watch a channel for an extended period and change over, the VIX icon spins while it waits for the HDD to waken up for whatever reason.

I will, time permitting over the weekend, change my setup to the above (still not sure if I should leave the USB for swapfile only?) and see if the Nova actually works properly!

That's my theory anyway,that the USB ports are shared and therefore both the data transfer rate and the power is shared across all usb ports.

"it waits for the HDD to waken up" - I had that with my HDD also until I increased the standby time - go in to setup/system/harddisk/harddisksetup - change standby time, I think it defaults to 10 minutes.

swapfiles are useful if you need them and that's why I monitored mine over a few days to see if I was using it or needed it. I wasn't, so I deleted it and I have had no consequences since. If you do require it, I think it is better on your HDD than a USB stick.

When you think about it, a HDD SATA is 3Gbps transfer rate compared to a USB stick 480Mbps (shared). I actually have two HDD's installed one internal 1TB SATA HDD and one 2TB eSATA drive and they both work great.

gambiaman - I stuck with vix because I like all the "bells and whistles" just like a slyplus HD box without all the restrictions. The only time I had to reboot was when I was messing with cccam and green screened the box in the process. Other than that - never.

kierank01 wrote: »
    If you are using the hdd for timeshift, then picons should be ok on hdd also, as the hd would already be spun up.

I have everything on hd, and do not see very many spinning vix's

I agree its fine when the HDD has spun up, but if the HDD is not in use (not being used in record or timeshift mode) then moving from channel to channel can cause an issue until such time the HDD has awoken

That's my theory anyway,that the USB ports are shared and therefore both the data transfer rate and the power is shared across all usb ports.

"it waits for the HDD to waken up" - I had that with my HDD also until I increased the standby time - go in to setup/system/harddisk/harddisksetup - change standby time, I think it defaults to 10 minutes.

swapfiles are useful if you need them and that's why I monitored mine over a few days to see if I was using it or needed it. I wasn't, so I deleted it and I have had no consequences since. If you do require it, I think it is better on your HDD than a USB stick.

When you think about it, a HDD SATA is 3Gbps transfer rate compared to a USB stick 480Mbps (shared). I actually have two HDD's installed one internal 1TB SATA HDD and one 2TB eSATA drive and they both work great.

gambiaman - I stuck with vix because I like all the "bells and whistles" just like a slyplus HD box without all the restrictions. The only time I had to reboot was when I was messing with cccam and green screened the box in the process. Other than that - never.

Thats where we differ :)

I prefer a stable base image where i can then add the bells and whistles to my liking. If i come up against an issue then i can remove a plugin or channel list etc until the problem has cleared.

But its all horses for courses and most people want a box that works straight away ... i prefer fiddling with linux

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Does the Cyfra+ HD card work in the Vu+ Duo with a softcam or do you need a hardware CAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭irishchris

RogerThis wrote: »
    Does the Cyfra+ HD card work in the Vu+ Duo with a softcam or do you need a hardware CAM?

works perfectly with ccam 2.2.1 on my vu duo with vix

yes it has been released tonight for vu+ duo, vu+ solo, et 9000 and et5000

enjoy guys as this is a long time in the making and you will notice there has been a lot of work done on it and a lot of adjusting of menus - eg vix now in system menu and epg now has its own section with a lot more editing options.

also please note a full reflash is recommended and not to restore your settings from previous images.

irishchris wrote: »
    yes it has been released tonight for vu+ duo, vu+ solo, et 9000 and et5000

enjoy guys as this is a long time in the making and you will notice there has been a lot of work done on it and a lot of adjusting of menus - eg vix now in system menu and epg now has its own section with a lot more editing options.

also please note a full reflash is recommended and not to restore your settings from previous images.

Irishchris, do you know if there is any improvement of the stability of DDT? I'm restarting my box daily because of the slow spinning VIX using sundtek.

Irishchris, do you know if there is any improvement of the stability of DDT? I'm restarting my box daily because of the slow spinning VIX using sundtek.

never had this issue myself but then have been using this beta since its first day coding so maybe thats why. for me this works like a charm with sundtek. :D

• Advertisement

So far, so good!
    I'm taking a chance as my BH1.6 is rock solid but I can't resist VIXs autotimer/epg ;-) but this new vix appears to be very good.
    And not having my USB drive in with swapfile/epg/picons appears to be doing the trick regarding hangs and crashes.
    I have all that stuff on my hdd now which is set at standby every 4 hours (I might turn standby off as -> I have PTS turned on so disk is accessed all the time)
    My Aver Volar Black HD stick is working very nicely with the Italysat DTT plugin - I think VIX should remove their own plugin for this stick from the plugin feeds as it does not work at all.

I'll post back within the week with an update.

I've updated to vix 2.2. It got a slow spinning vix after I updated the epg.
    Since I updated the epg for DDT isn't showing the full 7 days. There is a lot of the epg missing. With bits and pieces showing within the 7 days.

It very strange that DDT works perfect for some and not for others. I was wondering could it be the USB position that the DDT stick is plugged into. It was plugged into the top USB at the back, with a USB pen drive at the bottom. I have now changed them around so the DDT is now into the bottom one and the USB pen drive in the top one.

Could people with working and non-working DDT please state what USB position that they have plugged USB devices into? Might be clutching at straws here, but if it helps it will be well worth it. Some of the USB code might be hard coded for one device or another in vix.

Since I updated the epg for DDT isn't showing the full 7 days. There is a lot of the epg missing. With bits and pieces showing within the 7 days.

I've got that on 2.1.4

It very strange that DDT works perfect for some and not for others. I was wondering could it be the USB position that the DDT stick is plugged into. It was plugged into the top USB at the back, with a USB pen drive at the bottom. I have now changed them around so the DDT is now into the bottom one and the USB pen drive in the top one.

Could people with working and non-working DDT please state what USB position that they have plugged USB devices into? Might be clutching at straws here, but if it helps it will be well worth it. Some of the USB code might be hard coded for one device or another in vix.

I read on the VIX site that rytec is doing some maintenance on his epg feeds so maybe that's the issue with the missing data?
    Sorry, I see you said Dtt guide.

I completely removed my usb pendrive - my dtt stick is in the top usb slot, the usb key used to be in the lower slot.
    I have no swapfile now and have epg/picons/tshift on the hdd which is set to a 4hr or no standby.
    I use the Italysat dtt plugin on VIX as their official driver for my stick (Avermedia Volar Black HD) does not work.

Now, it's only a few hours but so far stability is very smooth. I have scheduled recordings on dtt and sat for later tonight/morning so I'll see if it gets bogged down later.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

gambiaman wrote: »
    I completely removed my usb pendrive - my dtt stick is in the top usb slot, the usb key used to be in the lower slot.
    I have no swapfile now and have epg/picons/tshift on the hdd which is set to a 4hr or no standby.
    I've updated to VIX 2.2 (OpenVIX now?) and did the same as you.

No more swapfile etc. It was only done 30 mins ago, so I'll see how things progress over the day. I'm hoping the Nova-T will now work as expected.

more to do with RTE NL :)
    Have a read of the attached :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295794

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭banie01

more to do with RTE NL :)
    Have a read of the attached :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295794

Only gripe so far with VIX2.2(apart from redoing the settings/rescanning :( )
    Is that I can't use your Retro skin as yet.....Get a green screen loop on start up!
    Otherwise all seems good

banie01 wrote: »
    Is that I can't use your Retro skin as yet.....Get a green screen loop on start up!
    Otherwise all seems good

dont suppose you could pm me the crash log here and i will get it sorted for ya

banie01 wrote: »
    Otherwise all seems good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wont leave me attach the log to PM here and its too long in plain text.
    I've posted over on WOS.
    Thanks Mate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement