Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Phew sorted! ...I used filezilla to check the hdd and noticed there is no /movie folder on there. So I added this and it worked!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Phew sorted! ...I used filezilla to check the hdd and noticed there is no /movie folder on there. So I added this and it worked!

Glad you got it sorted and that my suggestion helped ;)
    As for the menu/filelist thing, I agree not very intuitive is it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

yea and wouldn't you think the software could check if folder exists and if not, then create it. You're lucky to get it to even see the dam HDD tbh.

irishchris wrote: »
    hi mate
    one thing i would make certain of is to keep the plugins installed to a bare minimum. dont be afraid to install plugins you like and would use on a regular basis but do not install plugins that are not required or useful daily to you. the main plugins i use are incorporated in the vix image anyway now eg autotimer etc. to me also there is definitely a memory issue somewhere and am finding several issues eg erratic vix spinners and swap file issues but rest assured these are all been worked on by the team and will take a bit longer yet to find the cause and solution in it but we will. also apologies mate that this is not always conveyed in the best way by the team ;) but don't be put off posting on the support site or if not pm or post here and i will help out as much as i can for you mate.

Hi Chris,
    Well after paring VIX 2.1 to the minimum amount of running Plug ins with nothing at all added the latest VIX is still very buggy for me :(
    And with no further ideas as to what to try myself or over at W.O.S I'm giving up on VIX for the time being as its just to buggy for me.
    Which is a shame considering the ease of use it brings to EPG and Autotimer.

I'm currently on VTI's latest and while I miss a few of the bells and whistles that VIX has like PIG in the Cool TV and one touch autotimer ;)
    I can hand on heart say it runs flawlessly!
    No spinning timers, no system hangs! Only thing I really miss from VIX/PLI is your Skin mate ;) (Altho the Black/Red Alu I'm using now is sweet too)
    Granted it does take a bit longer to get set up esp with regards to MultiquickButton and quickzap and autotimer isn't nearly as polished as VIX but the rock solid stability is worth more to my sanity!!!

Thanks for the help mate and hopefully with the next VIX release I'll be back in the camp ;)

I feel quite foolish posting what seem to be basic issues, but so far I've found the solutions to these basic issues anything but obvious. So apologies in advance if this next one is foolish. I've searched everywhere, been through all options on the Duo, but can't sort it...

I inserted my WinTV-Nova-T stick, but how do I get it recognisesd/usable in the Duo? I _assumed_ I'd find it in Devices Manager or as a selectable Tuner somewhere... but where?

• Advertisement

I feel quite foolish posting what seem to be basic issues, but so far I've found the solutions to these basic issues anything but obvious. So apologies in advance if this next one is foolish. I've searched everywhere, been through all options on the Duo, but can't sort it...

I inserted my WinTV-Nova-T stick, but how do I get it recognisesd/usable in the Duo? I _assumed_ I'd find it in Devices Manager or as a selectable Tuner somewhere... but where?

I take it you've gone to plugins>drivers downloaded the driver for your stick and rebooted?

As for searching everywhere.....Dunno about that now :P This thread even has the answer a bit back
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71445062&postcount=1105 :P
    Sorry for the cheeky comment ;) couldn't be helped on my part ;)
    Hope you get it sorted!

banie01 wrote: »
    I take it you've gone to plugins>drivers downloaded the driver for your stick and rebooted?

You take it wrong! ...But I have now thank you, and am able to resume my voyage of discovery once more. :)

banie01 wrote: »
    As for searching everywhere.....Dunno about that now :P This thread even has the answer a bit back
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71445062&postcount=1105 :P
    Sorry for the cheeky comment ;) couldn't be helped on my part ;)
    Hope you get it sorted!

I'm quite beyond getting odd for 'rebukes' to my silly questions. Believe it or not I have read this entire thread over the past few weeks/ month and bookmarked many posts -and they have been of use. Obviously I missed/ skipped over that one. Damn, this whole web-forum scene makes it hard to find anything if you're not in from the start!

...And I had looked in plugins, but was thinking of plugins in the software sense only.

Currently scanning. I'll be back with more annoying & basic questions no doubt, but I will think long and search hard before doing so!

;)

Currently scanning. I'll be back with more annoying & basic questions no doubt, but I will think long and search hard before doing so!

;)

Your welcome.....but as for those annoying basic questions.....
    I asked them all before ya got here!!!LOL

OK I've spent a few fruitless hours since my last question I reckon I'm entitled to another...

I had no luck with the aerial that came with the Nova. Instead I tried it with a powered aerial. Before that I tried the powered aerial on pc: it worked on the pc.

Nothing found on the duo. Yet. OK, the aerial is in a slightly different place, but it's up higher in the same room, so I would have thought that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

I assume I should pick up the Irish channels on "Europe, Middle East, Africa: DVB-T Frequencies"?

I've tried it with Australia as well as the above. Nothing found.

Also, should the "Enable 5V for active antenna" option be on or off if the antenna is plugged in? (not quite sure if the 5V is to power it so it doesn't need to be plugged in or if you're supposed to select it if you are using a powered antenna)

I've scanned it with a few frequencies with the 5V option on and off, also with the antenna powered and off.

For the record, can someone tell me what these settings should be on the Duo so i can at least know I have that much set up correctly.?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Does anyone know if a Trilink Rf modulator will work to feed a signal to a 2nd TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Its very hard to get a modulator that works well.
    If you have used it on another device and it was good then yes it will work.
    But its only going to be limited to the resolution of the modulator.

The option I went for (had cat5 cable) was this HDMI splitter and its amazing...

http://hdcompany.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1_21_58&products_id=98
    cgc5483 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a Trilink Rf modulator will work to feed a signal to a 2nd TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

dfdream wrote: »
    Its very hard to get a modulator that works well.
    If you have used it on another device and it was good then yes it will work.
    But its only going to be limited to the resolution of the modulator.

The option I went for (had cat5 cable) was this HDMI splitter and its amazing...

http://hdcompany.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1_21_58&products_id=98

Thanks. I guess it should work just wanted to see if any one had one before buying. Only have coaxial cable run to 2nd tv so the cat5 is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

How are you getting on with DTT?

If it's an aerial with it's own power supply, 5V should be off (though I tried 5V on connected directly to a masthead amp, didn't work, probably depends on the specific hardware whether it supplies power over coax).

"Europe, Middle East, Africa: DVB-T Frequencies" is the one that works for me.

It sounds to me that your aerial positioning is the problem. Can you leave it in the spot where it worked with the PC, and try a scan on VU+? A couple pf inches either way can make a big difference with indoor aerials. Once you have them scanned in, you can play around with the positioning to find another sweet-spot.

Apparently, there's some kind bug in Enigma2 which prevents the signal/quality metering working with most of these USB tuners.
    OK I've spent a few fruitless hours since my last question I reckon I'm entitled to another...

I had no luck with the aerial that came with the Nova. Instead I tried it with a powered aerial. Before that I tried the powered aerial on pc: it worked on the pc.

Nothing found on the duo. Yet. OK, the aerial is in a slightly different place, but it's up higher in the same room, so I would have thought that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

I assume I should pick up the Irish channels on "Europe, Middle East, Africa: DVB-T Frequencies"?

I've tried it with Australia as well as the above. Nothing found.

Also, should the "Enable 5V for active antenna" option be on or off if the antenna is plugged in? (not quite sure if the 5V is to power it so it doesn't need to be plugged in or if you're supposed to select it if you are using a powered antenna)

I've scanned it with a few frequencies with the 5V option on and off, also with the antenna powered and off.

For the record, can someone tell me what these settings should be on the Duo so i can at least know I have that much set up correctly.?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

rurs wrote: »
    Whatever software is included is probably CD/DVD burning stuff, maybe some extra bits for DVD-RAM support. It's a pity Lidl don't give the model no., you could search around for compatibility. Still, I can't imagine it wouldn't work, it's just a drive.

On the DVD playing front, it seems I was mistaken, I've just tried a load of DVDs with my drive (LG GE20LU10), and they all work. Plug in drive, stick a disc in, and a popup appears "Play DVD", and away it goes. I think I was trying to browse the menus directly, which was a bit hit and miss.

I got that dvd player, and seem to have some issues with it...

below is the end of dmesg, and lsusb
    hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1
    usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using brcm-ehci and address 4
    usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    usb-storage: device found at 4
    usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
      Vendor: TSSTcorp  Model: CDDVDW SE-S084C   Rev: TS01
      Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 00
    scsi 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
    usb-storage: device scan complete
    root@vuduo:~# lsusb
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 13fd:0842  
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2040:7070 Hauppauge 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    root@vuduo:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdb
    root@vuduo:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1      121601   976760032   83  Linux
    root@vuduo:~# 

There is an unusual cable supplied, and it requires the use of 2 usb ports for power
    It seems to be detected, however there does not seem to be a /dev entry listed.

When I plugged the drive into my archlinux laptop, it seemed to function normally (reported as 13fd:0842 Initio Corporation). There was a module sr_mod loaded when I plugged this in. When i did a modprobe for this on the duo, it loaded, but when I attempted to mount /dev/sr0, the telnet session hangs, and I have to reboot to get back (ctrl+c does not work).

any ideas?

How are you getting on with DTT?

If it's an aerial with it's own power supply, 5V should be off (though I tried 5V on connected directly to a masthead amp, didn't work, probably depends on the specific hardware whether it supplies power over coax).

"Europe, Middle East, Africa: DVB-T Frequencies" is the one that works for me.

It sounds to me that your aerial positioning is the problem. Can you leave it in the spot where it worked with the PC, and try a scan on VU+? A couple pf inches either way can make a big difference with indoor aerials. Once you have them scanned in, you can play around with the positioning to find another sweet-spot.

Apparently, there's some kind bug in Enigma2 which prevents the signal/quality metering working with most of these USB tuners.

Thanks rurs. I was so beat from my previous "Duo-sessions" I haven't had the energy or time to return to it since. I was quietly hoping someone would give me a pointer and now you have so armed with that I'm ready to return, suitably hopeful! ;)
    Thanks.

It takes so long to run the scan it's good to know which settings _should_ in theory work before going through it all probably a number of more times.

I was prepared for a steep learning curve and setup time with the Duo. If I get the Irish channels on I reckon I'm most of the way there. Still a lot to be done to get it to a "family friendly" level (if possible), but I like it in theory and the possibilities for it are almost endless. Well, almost almost.

I don't mind "struggling in the dark", but so far the blocks I've had have come more from a lack of documentation and non-intuitive settings that nobody could be expected to think of.

I'm not critical of the devs in any way -I know it's tough to balance new options with user-friendliness. I'm sure it will come. I'm just giving a mild warning to anyone considering one of these boxes... it's not for the faint-hearted.

...I'm possibly the most techy type person I know. Or thereabouts. I'm the one most of my friends/ acquaintances call when they have PC problems or the picture on their PS3 looks funny, etc.. The VU+ Duo -and the whole satellite scene is an alien world to me. Having spent >400euros it's a little bit 'scarey' but quite exciting... when I can spare the time to devote 3+ hours to getting lost in its setup screens. I'm sure others here would wonder at my bemusement, but even still I know possibly half (at most) of what the buzzwords mean in this area, nevermind when it gets down to Duo-specific stuff.

So I'm content to take it a little at a time. I'm not rushing the procedure, although it can be frustrating. I suspect I'm getting more out of this than I ever will after it's "all set up" (which I'm sure will be an ongoing process), since actually I rarely watch any telly at all! :)

It takes so long to run the scan it's good to know which settings _should_ in theory work before going through it all probably a number of more times.

If you check the terrestrial forum, there is a lot of tuning info there.

I am in Cork, and tuned to 474Mhz (Crosshaven I think).
    I think that you can manually search for your local transponder.
    I scanned my duo at a place that had a roof aerial, and where I am now, it does not pick up anything, but can still see the channels that I scanned in the other house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I suspect I'm getting more out of this than I ever will after it's "all set up" (which I'm sure will be an ongoing process), since actually I rarely watch any telly at all! :)

lol I can relate to this! Spend more time fliddling with *ahem* configuring my setup than actually watching anything. :rolleyes: Then again, I don't really watch tv anyway, it's just the technological buzz of getting it right if that makes any sense! lol

kierank01 wrote: »
    I got that dvd player, and seem to have some issues with it...

There is an unusual cable supplied, and it requires the use of 2 usb ports for power
    It seems to be detected, however there does not seem to be a /dev entry listed.

When I plugged the drive into my archlinux laptop, it seemed to function normally (reported as 13fd:0842 Initio Corporation). There was a module sr_mod loaded when I plugged this in. When i did a modprobe for this on the duo, it loaded, but when I attempted to mount /dev/sr0, the telnet session hangs, and I have to reboot to get back (ctrl+c does not work).

any ideas?

All I can think of is that the overcurrent messages are causing problems.

I presume you're using the two rear ports? Maybe they are configured as a hub, and can't supply the current required. Can you try it with a powered USB hub?

As an aside, I had another go at DVD burning, it does work, most of the time.

You need to install 7 or 8 extra .ipkgs, plus the Burn DVD plugin. Ads can be edited out, simple menus created, also HD/MPEG4 content can be archived as data.

It also gives the option to create an image to HDD, and can be run in the background, so the disc image could be burned on a PC.

All I can think of is that the overcurrent messages are causing problems.

I presume you're using the two rear ports? Maybe they are configured as a hub, and can't supply the current required. Can you try it with a powered USB hub?

As an aside, I had another go at DVD burning, it does work, most of the time.

You need to install 7 or 8 extra .ipkgs, plus the Burn DVD plugin. Ads can be edited out, simple menus created, also HD/MPEG4 content can be archived as data.

It also gives the option to create an image to HDD, and can be run in the background, so the disc image could be burned on a PC.

As it happens I am using one at the back, and the one on the front.

When the duo is booted, with a dvd in it, it seems to spin up, and the light flashes.
    I don't have a powered hub, the instructions specifically state that it should not be used with a powered hub, as results cannot be guaranteed.

currently I an using VIX, correct me if I am wrong, are you using blackhole?
    Could there be a difference between the images, that makes it work on BH, and not VIX?
    what are the exstra .ipk's that you have installed, and were they only for burning?

edit: do I see BH 1.6 just released? what does it mean by 'graphics preview'?

I am using BH, DVD player is built in, presume it is on VIX too?

My setup is USB HDD on top rear port, powered hub on lower port, with DTT tuner, pen drive and DVD drive connected.

Results don't seem to be guaranteed without a hub:), can't hurt to try it.

Here's the list of extras:
     bzip2_1.0.5-r2_mipsel.ipk
     cdrkit_1.1.9-r3_mipsel.ipk
     dvd+rw-tools_7.1-r2_mipsel.ipk
     dvdauthor_0.6.14-r2_mipsel.ipk
     libattr_2.4.43-r0_mipsel.ipk
     libbz2-1_1.0.5-r2_mipsel.ipk
     libcap2_2.16-r1_mipsel.ipk
     mjpegtools_1.9.0rc3-r0_mipsel.ipk
     projectx_0.90.4.00.b32-r0_mipsel.ipk
     python-imaging_1.1.6-ml1_mipsel.ipk

I found them here

Order of installation is important, I had to try it a few times, bzip2 depends on libbz2, dvdauthor depends on cdrkit etc.

Don't really know whether it's an image issue or hardware issue.

I'm still on BH 1.5, graphics preview on 1.6 seems to be to preview skins and bootlogos, I might upgrade over the weekend, apparently also includes signal/quality metering for usb tuners, also more audio codecs (experimental)
    As it happens I am using one at the back, and the one on the front.

When the duo is booted, with a dvd in it, it seems to spin up, and the light flashes.
    I don't have a powered hub, the instructions specifically state that it should not be used with a powered hub, as results cannot be guaranteed.

currently I an using VIX, correct me if I am wrong, are you using blackhole?
    Could there be a difference between the images, that makes it work on BH, and not VIX?
    what are the exstra .ipk's that you have installed, and were they only for burning?

edit: do I see BH 1.6 just released? what foes it mean by 'graphics preview'?

• Advertisement

I am using BH, DVD player is built in, presume it is on VIX too?

My setup is USB HDD on top rear port, powered hub on lower port, with DTT tuner, pen drive and DVD drive connected.

Results don't seem to be guaranteed without a hub:), can't hurt to try it.

Here's the list of extras:
     bzip2_1.0.5-r2_mipsel.ipk
     cdrkit_1.1.9-r3_mipsel.ipk
     dvd+rw-tools_7.1-r2_mipsel.ipk
     dvdauthor_0.6.14-r2_mipsel.ipk
     libattr_2.4.43-r0_mipsel.ipk
     libbz2-1_1.0.5-r2_mipsel.ipk
     libcap2_2.16-r1_mipsel.ipk
     mjpegtools_1.9.0rc3-r0_mipsel.ipk
     projectx_0.90.4.00.b32-r0_mipsel.ipk
     python-imaging_1.1.6-ml1_mipsel.ipk

I found them here

Order of installation is important, I had to try it a few times, bzip2 depends on libbz2, dvdauthor depends on cdrkit etc.

Don't really know whether it's an image issue or hardware issue.

I'm still on BH 1.5, graphics preview on 1.6 seems to be to preview skins and bootlogos, I might upgrade over the weekend, apparently also includes signal/quality metering for usb tuners, also more audio codecs (experimental)

So I tried to install those ipks on the vix image, but they wouldn't work, libcap2 seemed to be the first dependancy, but that would not install, as it could not overwright an existing file.

I tested the cable, and found which port supplied power only, and because I don't have a powered hub, plugged that into the laptop, and the other port into the duo.
    This did not change any thing, if mount /dev/sr0 /mnt... is run, it hangs, but if left for 5mins or so, it segfaults (no more info).

I decided to install BH 1.5, extracted the files to the usb (./vuplus/duo/), but when I shutdown and restart the duo, it does not install.
    It says reading usb for a sec when booting, but then keeps on booting vix.
    Does it matter what other files that are on the drive?

Is the USB drive you're using one which you've flashed with before?

Should be 3 files in the /duo folder, anything else on the drive should be ignored.

Did you try flashing without the DVD drive plugged in. I noticed that when I reboot with the DVD drive plugged in, "Reading USB" shows for a few seconds, maybe it's confusing things to have other things plugged in while flashing.

The ipks I mentioned are purely for DVD burning, the DVD player worked for me without them. Vix does have the DVD player built in?

I don't know a whole lot of telnet commands, I tried the lsusb you used, but that gives "-sh: lsusb: not found". Anything else I can try to help you troubleshoot?

Is the USB drive you're using one which you've flashed with before?

Should be 3 files in the /duo folder, anything else on the drive should be ignored.

Did you try flashing without the DVD drive plugged in. I noticed that when I reboot with the DVD drive plugged in, "Reading USB" shows for a few seconds, maybe it's confusing things to have other things plugged in while flashing.

The ipks I mentioned are purely for DVD burning, the DVD player worked for me without them. Vix does have the DVD player built in?

I don't know a whole lot of telnet commands, I tried the lsusb you used, but that gives "-sh: lsusb: not found". Anything else I can try to help you troubleshoot?

First of all, cheers for all the help.

I got BH installed (usb was formatted as ntfs, but I remember flashing with is as ntfs previously).

I have moved on with the dvd player in BH, it reads it (sometimes), and starts to play, but then seems to freeze.
    When I eject the disk, it recovers.

This is the dmesg output when it is freezing:
    usb 1-1: reset high speed USB device using brcm-ehci and address 4
    sr 3:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00070000
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 2104
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 526
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 527
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 528
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 529
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 530
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 531
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 532
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 533
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 534
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 535

I am not really sure what this means. The 'over current' message suggests a power issue, but too much or too little?

Also, how do I get the usb dtt working? I cannot see any driver available in the plugins list.
    When it searches, it says that there is no network, but I am using the network now, I am telnetted to the box, and the network wizard says that the network is working. :confused:

Success (for the DVD)

I used thr usb power adapter for my htc desire, which provides 5 volt , 1 amp. Playing a dvd right now :D:D.

now how to get the nova stick working.

Maybe try going back to vix, with the power adapter?

If you check the terrestrial forum, there is a lot of tuning info there.

I am in Cork, and tuned to 474Mhz (Crosshaven I think).
    I think that you can manually search for your local transponder.
    I scanned my duo at a place that had a roof aerial, and where I am now, it does not pick up anything, but can still see the channels that I scanned in the other house.

I think it looks like I'll have to get a roof aerial. I can pick up the channels on PC, but when I view them I have sound but no picture. So far I've failed to pick up any on the Duo. That could be down to position of the unit (it's connected to a projector you see and up high -which should help I would've thought- so is fairly hard to manouver/ get access to).

I'll leave it off for now and concentrate on getting the available channels together as best I can. Used Dreamedit the other day. Seems good. :)

...One question... when skipping ads in playback, is there currently a 'quickjump' method to skip ahead a few seconds?

Also, what's the story with ITV 2, 3, 4 in HD? I see them, but I don't have them (ie. blank screen).

And, my daughter is nagging me about Nickelodeon and Disney channels. I assume these are subscription-only? Are they on the same package, can anyone tell me -and what's the charge (I'm not going to be buying it, but I'd like to be armed with the info so I know at least)

To install USB tuner, press blue twice, USB tuner panel is down near the end, select your device, load driver, enable and restart. (It prompts you to restart Enigma2, but that's not enough, I need to do a complete restart)

Can't hurt to try Vix again, I'd like to try it myself, but I'm waiting for dual-tuner support, and maybe invest in a new USB tuner.
    Success (for the DVD)

I used thr usb power adapter for my htc desire, which provides 5 volt , 1 amp. Playing a dvd right now :D:D.

now how to get the nova stick working.

Maybe try going back to vix, with the power adapter?

I think it looks like I'll have to get a roof aerial. I can pick up the channels on PC, but when I view them I have sound but no picture. So far I've failed to pick up any on the Duo. That could be down to position of the unit (it's connected to a projector you see and up high -which should help I would've thought- so is fairly hard to manouver/ get access to).

I'll leave it off for now and concentrate on getting the available channels together as best I can. Used Dreamedit the other day. Seems good. :)

...One question... when skipping ads in playback, is there currently a 'quickjump' method to skip ahead a few seconds?

Also, what's the story with ITV 2, 3, 4 in HD? I see them, but I don't have them (ie. blank screen).

And, my daughter is nagging me about Nickelodeon and Disney channels. I assume these are subscription-only? Are they on the same package, can anyone tell me -and what's the charge (I'm not going to be buying it, but I'd like to be armed with the info so I know at least)

Those ITV HD channels are subscription only (Sky), same with Disney/Nick. Although there are foreign sub packages which have Disney.

Use the number keys to skip, you can customize the amount in Menu>System>Customize> select Expert mode.

Re DTT, can you leave the aerial where it worked on PC, use an extension cable to connect to Duo, then scan. Once you have them saved, you can find another spot where the aerial will work.

I think it looks like I'll have to get a roof aerial. I can pick up the channels on PC, but when I view them I have sound but no picture.

Sound, but no picture suggests that you do not have an mpeg4 codec installed on your pc.

There is a hardware decoder in the duo, so you don't need to worry about that in the duo.

If the stick that you have, is a nova-t, I think the software that comes with it is only an mpeg2 codec.

VLC should be able to decode the signal out of the box, but will be slow for rte2 (hd).

I took my Duo into the other room (where it will eventually be used) and searched for the DTT channels in there. Thankfully it found the Irish set and when I brought it back to the other room, with a bit of aerial manouverings (of the antenna kind) it worked there too.

So I now have all Freesat and Irish DTT FTA channels on the one EPG as I have been looking for for a loong time. Lovely machine this Vu+ Duo. :)

A couple of small questions for now:

1. What's the easiest way to see what channel(s) is currently being recorded? Is there some icon somewhere with the number/name that I'm missing? With just one Sat-line-in where it currently is I find it frustrating when I can't see particular channels. (I know _why_ I can see some and not others -I'd just like to know if I can quickly see the name of the one being recorded)

2. Is there a way to set default actions on record? For instance, when a programme is being watched and record is pressed I'd like it to record everything in the timeshift up to the end of the current programme and then stop.. unless told otherwise.
    I _can_ do this as is, but I'd prefer if it didn't bring up the options unless I choose them (for 'family friendliness' you understand).
    I see default actions for auto-timers (although it still brings up the full list of options), but I don't see it for 'normal' Timers/ recordings.

3. I dabbled a few days ago in trying to get it to play media files from my PC. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this, but to save me a little time can anyone here tell me if this is possible to do and if so, does the Duo do it well (ie. all filetypes, full res, etc.)? As well/ better than a PS3? I didn't see it pick up my PS3 media server for instance. (?)
    ...You don't need to tell me how to do it here, just let me know if I'm wasting my time looking into it further.

4. Any tips on what else I might like to get working on this fine piece of machinery? :)

• Advertisement

1. What's the easiest way to see what channel(s) is currently being recorded?

2. Is there a way to set default actions on record?

3. I dabbled a few days ago in trying to get it to play media files from my PC. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this, but to save me a little time can anyone here tell me if this is possible to do and if so, does the Duo do it well (ie. all filetypes, full res, etc.)? As well/ better than a PS3? I didn't see it pick up my PS3 media server for instance. (?)
    ...You don't need to tell me how to do it here, just let me know if I'm wasting my time looking into it further.

4. Any tips on what else I might like to get working on this fine piece of machinery? :)

1. I found the best way to control/view recordings is to bring up the timer. I have it set up as long press on red. (Quick button plugin). I had a single sat feed for a while, on the skin I use, unavailable channels are greyed out.

2. Don't know

3. I don't have a PS3, but I'd say if your PS3 can be seen by other PCs, the vu should have no trouble. Have a root around in the menus, I've found a couple of different ways of finding shares.

I also read that the manufacturers are negotiating a licence with DTS, so that should open up some more files. I've tried HD .mp4s, mpeg2, I've heard divx is flaky.

4. There's a vlc plugin which transcodes files from PC, one thing I'd like to try is streaming from outside the LAN, just for kicks...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement