Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Apogee wrote: »
    Since Vix 2.0, that hourglass seems to crop up much more than it did with the previous editions of the firmware.

Yeah, unfortunately i found that to be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Well I ordered mine yesterday from ielektroniks so hopefully I'll have a delivery towards the end of next week. ;)

Can someone please explain the the following -or point me to a glossary of terms...

I know what an EPG is: Electronic Programme Guide: list of channels. But what then are

skins, bouquets & picons ?

...I believe picons are the logos, etc. that can be displayed instead of the channel names. Correct me if wrong. I've saved a few zips from previous posts and will see what use I can put them to when the time is right.

So, how are skins and bouquets different? Or are they? IrishChris's skin looks good to me, but should I also have a bouquet?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Well I ordered mine yesterday from ielektroniks so hopefully I'll have a delivery towards the end of next week. ;)

Can someone please explain the the following -or point me to a glossary of terms...

I know what an EPG is: Electronic Programme Guide: list of channels. But what then are

skins, bouquets & picons ?

...I believe picons are the logos, etc. that can be displayed instead of the channel names. Correct me if wrong. I've saved a few zips from previous posts and will see what use I can put them to when the time is right.

So, how are skins and bouquets different? Or are they? IrishChris's skin looks good to me, but should I also have a bouquet?

Skins are a little bit like a theme for the gui.

A Bouquet is the list of channels, and the groups (like entertainment, sport on Sky)
    You will need to setup bouquets.

There is an attachment early on in this thread, with most of the 28.8 channels setup, however some of the channels have moved since that was created.
    You will need dreamboxedit installed on a windows pc, to edit and transfer them to the box.

What I would do is to transfer the bouquets to the box, then do a full scan, and then transfer back to the pc, and edit* from there, and transfer back to the box.
    If someone else has an easier way, please let us know

*all the scanned channels will be in the 'last scanned' bouquet, so you can copy, and move them around as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

I just changed over to Blackhole last night after a while on the vix image. The main reason for this is that blackhole supports the USB DTT stick I have. It took a while to get used of though. i really liked the default VIX HD skin and was wondering if it is possible to download this skin, ftp it to the temp file and load and use it in blackhole. If not is there a similar skin in blackhole and what are you using or recommend if you are using blackhole?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

kierank01 wrote: »
    You will need dreamboxedit installed on a windows pc, to edit and transfer them to the box.

What's the story with that forum? It's not possible to view any posts without registering.
    Registering is like getting into Fort Knox (multiple retries of the worst kind for the silliest of reasons). Then it seems to not allow downloads until after <post(s)> are made. I created a post to say hi (as it seems is wanted).
    But >1 hour later I still can't download anything.

It's fair enough if I just have to wait. I don't mean to be overly critical, but scouring forums for answers and not knowing how one should 'behave'/ what to expect can be veerrrrrrryyyyy time consuming. I mean, I know not to barge in with silly questions, etc., but a little hint as to how I should proceed would be nice.

Also, instead of creating another post... changing the subject slightly...

What's the deal with cams? I know they're something to do with using viewing cards, but why is it a taboo topic? Is it just because it's possible to hack into certain channels, etc. without subscribing?
    (Note, I'm not looking to know how to do such a thing -I have no interest in 99.99% of tv channels par-or-not, but I'd like to be aware of what things are... is this the sole use of "cams"? And I assume I don't have to know anything about them in order to get the standard Freeview + Irish DTT channels?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Also, instead of creating another post... changing the subject slightly...

What's the deal with cams? I know they're something to do with using viewing cards, but why is it a taboo topic? Is it just because it's possible to hack into certain channels, etc. without subscribing?
    (Note, I'm not looking to know how to do such a thing -I have no interest in 99.99% of tv channels par-or-not, but I'd like to be aware of what things are... is this the sole use of "cams"? And I assume I don't have to know anything about them in order to get the standard Freeview + Irish DTT channels?)

You've got the right idea, no need to worry about cams (soft or hard) for FTA TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 joc10

I have tried the BH image a few times but always have the same problem : the EPG summaries disappear off channels after you select them when using the bouquet list - does anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?I have tried Crossepg and inbuilt Rytec importer but it 's the same for both.

joc10 wrote: »
    I have tried the BH image a few times but always have the same problem : the EPG summaries disappear off channels after you select them when using the bouquet list - does anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?I have tried Crossepg and inbuilt Rytec importer but it 's the same for both.

Can't say I've had that problem...is it on all channels, or just a few?

I found Satmate to be more comprehensive than Rytec, you just have to add it manually to the EPG list.

I tried crossepg as well, I couldn't see any benefit over the inbuilt EPG panel. Maybe I'm missing something, but crossepg seems to be a way to combine multiple online EPG sources, which is what the BH EPG panel does.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Since Vix 2.0, that hourglass seems to crop up much more than it did with the previous editions of the firmware.
    gambiaman wrote: »
    Yeah, unfortunately i found that to be the case

I've found VIX 2.1 to be exceptionally buggy in this regard!
    Constant hanging, unresponsiveness and spinning VIX neccesitating a hard reset at least every few days.
    Raised the issue over on their forum and was told its my setup and try a fresh install!
    So after a clean install and online update, no imported settings at all, Default skin, 0 plugins!
    A completely blank slate for VIX, with Picons, EPG and Timeshift all on USB and HDD only used for recordings/Media and no plugins apart from CCcam running(For my Sky Card) and 2.1+ runs like a pig
    I dropped back to 2.0 and its a huge improvement performance wise compared to the later version.
    And the OpenPli and BH latest are much more stable than latest VIX too in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Wwatfa

I have been trying for over 1 week now several images ! VIX - VTI - BH ...

each one of them has something the other does not have ! i guess thats why there are so many different ones right?

in anycase, i have found (and that is purely my preferance) the Black hole is the most stable one and an image that simply does what is needed from it ! i finally settled on the latest BH image and working on it now ! having said that, it is true that all of them where buggy in a way or another ! i mean, i am still unable to backup my BH image using my USB ! each time i try that, it freezes up ! and another one is the remote control button setting (found in VIX) is very limited BH ! (i am soooo used to use the OK buttom to open my menu channel section)

at the end of they day it is simply a preferance ! and nothing more !

I am a new Vu+ duo owner, i was very exited to receive it after all the various comments in forums and reviews, but i am still unable to see the difference between Vu+ Duo and dreambox HD 800 SE? (other than the 2 tuner) ! the actual size of the Vu+ is a disadvantage compared to the Dreambox HD 800 SE !! and both deliver the exact same ! i was told that the image on the Vu+ is far more sharp ! :confused: could not really notice the differance ! has anyone noticed it?

dont get me wrong, i do love this piece of art, but as a dreambox owner for over 5 years now, i have to say that i was a bit dissapointed.

3 quick questions:
    1- Does anyone have a solution for the backup via USB (full image backup)?
    2- any speciffic options recommened to be added to the Vu+ Duo?
    3- is there a way to watch movies from my shared HDD on my network on Vu+ ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

For Enigma 2 and iPhone 4 /iPad owners - the best app I have ever used...

live streaming and recording playback to your iPhone from your VU+ Duo. With fast enough speeds either end it might work out and about also. [Edit] FAQ says internet streaming not possible yet but they are looking at a solution. Would likely involve an intermediary server compressing the feed. [/Edit]

http://www.dmliveapp.de/blog/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dreambox-live/id416450962?mt=8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

givecredit wrote: »
    Good question. No i have not tried that. But might give it a go over the weekend. Will report back on results.

@givecredit - did you ever get a chance to test the 2 DTT tuners?

Wwatfa wrote: »

3 quick questions:
    1- Does anyone have a solution for the backup via USB (full image backup)?
    2- any speciffic options recommened to be added to the Vu+ Duo?
    3- is there a way to watch movies from my shared HDD on my network on Vu+ ?

1. Green>Yellow>Addons Download Manager>Black Hole Image Script>Backup IMG USB VU. Works well, only takes a couple of minutes. If you were having trouble before with usb, maybe try a different drive, some seem to work more reliably than others.
    2. Maybe MultiQuickButton, you can use it to remap remote to the way you want.
    3. Menu>Setup>System>Network>Network Browser>follow the wizard...your HDD/NAS can be accessed from Media Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

slegs wrote: »
    For Enigma 2 and iPhone 4 /iPad owners - the best app I have ever used...

live streaming and recording playback to your iPhone from your VU+ Duo. With fast enough speeds either end it might work out and about also. [Edit] FAQ says internet streaming not possible yet but they are looking at a solution. Would likely involve an intermediary server compressing the feed. [/Edit]

http://www.dmliveapp.de/blog/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dreambox-live/id416450962?mt=8

I wonder is there anything similar for android?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

@givecredit - did you ever get a chance to test the 2 DTT tuners?

No. Never got around to it. But i have since found out the Vix does not support this yet. Vix behind the rest when it comes to DTT.

Black Hole supports it. Supports twin DTT tuner or 2 separate tuners, same or different brand.

Hopefully by the time 2mux is up and running Vix will have got around to supporting 2 tuners.
    Im sticking with vix mainly because its its ease of use/family friendly/great autotimer support via blue button and because its the one we have become very familar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

hi all,
    looking for arguments in chosing/balancing between Dreambox 800 and VU+ !
    any help ,greatly appreciately !
    thanks.

LE@
    sorry,checked in meantime and found this:
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?1283-Vu-Duo-Evaluation-Questions
    good specs...

Where is the best place to get one,please !? tia...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I upgraded to the latest VIX finally!

So far, the Nova seems to work better, though I'm wary of saying it's fixed, incase I jinx it! :D

Still issues with USB pendrives. It greenscreened religiously when trying to mount a Philips 16GB drive and an Integral 4GB.

However, it does seem to be OK now with a Transcend 8GB pendrive, so that'll do. I was previously using a cheapo Pretek 2GB drive, though it wasn't big enough for picons, EPG and swapfile.

Other than that, the newer VIX seems fine. Just need to install a few more plugins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

The Bull wrote: »

Android dreamer available in market for free works perfect on LAN and if good enough upload on internet also

banie01 wrote: »
    I've found VIX 2.1 to be exceptionally buggy in this regard!
    Constant hanging, unresponsiveness and spinning VIX neccesitating a hard reset at least every few days.
    Raised the issue over on their forum and was told its my setup and try a fresh install!
    So after a clean install and online update, no imported settings at all, Default skin, 0 plugins!
    A completely blank slate for VIX, with Picons, EPG and Timeshift all on USB and HDD only used for recordings/Media and no plugins apart from CCcam running(For my Sky Card) and 2.1+ runs like a pig
    I dropped back to 2.0 and its a huge improvement performance wise compared to the later version.
    And the OpenPli and BH latest are much more stable than latest VIX too in my experience.

Hi mate sorry to hear of your issues with latest vix. Can you do me favour mate and test my skin and let me no here or support forum if it works on older version of vix. Definitely works with latest pli and is available direct of their feeds. Also have not forgitten your request for full length infobar and will get it finished soon - just been mental busy at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I've installed the Volar HD Dtt stick using Black hole image and so far it seems much more stable than the Win Tv stick

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

The Bull wrote: »

Dreamdroid, free on the market and is very good.

irishchris wrote: »
    Hi mate sorry to hear of your issues with latest vix. Can you do me favour mate and test my skin and let me no here or support forum if it works on older version of vix. Definitely works with latest pli and is available direct of their feeds. Also have not forgitten your request for full length infobar and will get it finished soon - just been mental busy at work.

Hiya Chris,
    I'm running your skin as my default mate, it runs perfectly under 2.0 and I'm fairly certain it has nothing whatsoever to do with the issues I have in 2.1.
    As even with a clean install and default skin it still runs like molasses for me no matter how I try to configure it.
    To be honest I think something is causing a memory leak as for the 1st 45-60 mins 2.1 runs well then bang, constant hangs and spinning box. I just haven't bothered to go through logs yet and as its easier to swop image than rootcause.....and my inherent laziness....
    Checked to be sure the logging was disabled...even tried it enabled to see if it made a diff!
    Tried swap file on then off as according to VUplus Nl I have no need of a swap anyway ;)
    My default is epg, swap and timesheet on usb but even with all files on hd still same issue.
    Very strange esp considering under 2.0, openpli and BH it runs near flawlessly.

Do you want me to drop back to a 1.3 image and try see if it runs there too?
    As for my infobar/HD skin request, mate take your time ;) it'll be a bonus when it happens but its still just extra gravy on a great skin ;)

Hiya Chris,
    I'm running your skin as my default mate, it runs perfectly under 2.0 and I'm fairly certain it has nothing whatsoever to do with the issues I have in 2.1.
    As even with a clean install and default skin it still runs like molasses for me no matter how I try to configure it.
    To be honest I think something is causing a memory leak as for the 1st 45-60 mins 2.1 runs well then bang, constant hangs and spinning box. I just haven't bothered to go through logs yet and as its easier to swop image than rootcause.....and my inherent laziness....
    Checked to be sure the logging was disabled...even tried it enabled to see if it made a diff!
    Tried swap file on then off as according to VUplus Nl I have no need of a swap anyway ;)
    My default is epg, swap and timesheet on usb but even with all files on hd still same issue.
    Very strange esp considering under 2.0, openpli and BH it runs near flawlessly.

Do you want me to drop back to a 1.3 image and try see if it runs there too?
    As for my infobar/HD skin request, mate take your time ;) it'll be a bonus when it happens but its still just extra gravy on a great skin ;)

Cheers mate for the info. There does seem to be a big issue with your image as you suggest. I also had pros very similar to your experience but seem to have ironed them out on my box now. Also do not agree with vuplus nl as I believe the swapfile is essential but not sure if it is working right in latest vix.
    Will definitely try to get time to tackle the skin for you either this bank holiday or next weeks one.

irishchris wrote: »
    Cheers mate for the info. There does seem to be a big issue with your image as you suggest. I also had pros very similar to your experience but seem to have ironed them out on my box now. Also do not agree with vuplus nl as I believe the swapfile is essential but not sure if it is working right in latest vix.
    Will definitely try to get time to tackle the skin for you either this bank holiday or next weeks one.

No problem at all mate! In fairness considering the advice and assistance you share here and elsewhere its the least I could do!
    Speaking of which I'm just using your skin on PLI 2.0 now and still sweet as a nut!
    It actually installed automatically via my saved settings from VIX,(Could be handy to know for anyone thinking of switching)
    Would you mind sharing some detail on how you managed to get VIX optimised for yourself? Any tips or tweaks?

Personally I think your 100% right regarding the neccesity of a swapfile along with the swap having issues in 2.1+, there are massive delays in the swap showing as active in swap manager regardless of the USB key used and with the general lagginess I experience it smacks to me of a memory management issue.

I'd ask at their home but I am finding myself more and more frustrated with the attitudes of some contributers over there and its just not worth the hassle that seems to come now whenever an issue raised there lately!
    Its as if the holy image is inviolate, and if theres a problem it must be the user.
    But its just getting a bit too snappy over there, or maybe I'm just getting hormonal and overly sensitive :P
    Don't get me wrong I love the implementation and integration offered by the Image they offer and kudos to Andy and the other contributers for the efforts made!
    That image makes linux satellite a breeze for newbies who want to get up and running straight away with a high degree of simple and logical functionality without searching for plugins and setting up each little component alá PLI/VTI or BH...
    But lately there seems to be a head in the sand attitude when issues are raised from some of the more active senior heads over there coupled with some outright rudeness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I just spent about 2 weeks reviewing all the receivers that might replace my DM800. I had just settled on the VU+ Solo until I saw this: http://vuplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/uno_brochure_D110408.pdf

Looks like a new Vu coming soon, and it looks good. Now I don't know what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

All,

I eventually abandoned the Nova-t (it wasnt working out for me) and ordered a Sundtek USB tuner. Have it installed 4-5 days now and I have pushed it everyway I can and its been flawless.

No glitch, pixel or freeze or black channel.
    I have recorded about 50 programs day and night to test and its passed every time.

SUCCESS.

BTW - I ordered one for a friend as well and he doesnt want it now so if anyone interested in my spare Sundtek USB Tuner let me know....

D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Certainly a much nice looking box than the current one.

azzeretti wrote: »
    I just spent about 2 weeks reviewing all the receivers that might replace my DM800. I had just settled on the VU+ Solo until I saw this: http://vuplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/uno_brochure_D110408.pdf

Looks like a new Vu coming soon, and it looks good. Now I don't know what to do!

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Want to pick up a card for Copa America later in summer, what's the best combination..... Irdeto or Viaccess + Cccam/Oscam/Hypercam?

Any working setups recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

dfdream wrote: »
    All,

I eventually abandoned the Nova-t (it wasnt working out for me) and ordered a Sundtek USB tuner. Have it installed 4-5 days now and I have pushed it everyway I can and its been flawless.

No glitch, pixel or freeze or black channel.
    I have recorded about 50 programs day and night to test and its passed every time.

SUCCESS.

BTW - I ordered one for a friend as well and he doesnt want it now so if anyone interested in my spare Sundtek USB Tuner let me know....

D

I likewise have a sundtek DTT USB for about 3 months now and have not experienced the issues that other people have been talking about with Nova-T. I also have been driving it hard by recording multiple channels (DTT and Satellite) at the same time with no bother at all.

The only time I had problems with DTT and Satellite channels was when I upgraded to Vix 2.1 but this was resolved quickly (thanks to gambiaman pointing me in the right direction) with an upgrade to Vix 2.1.2.1 and above .

Thanks to Vu+ Duo, Vix and Sundtek I am a happy camper. :)

• Advertisement

No problem at all mate! In fairness considering the advice and assistance you share here and elsewhere its the least I could do!
    Speaking of which I'm just using your skin on PLI 2.0 now and still sweet as a nut!
    It actually installed automatically via my saved settings from VIX,(Could be handy to know for anyone thinking of switching)
    Would you mind sharing some detail on how you managed to get VIX optimised for yourself? Any tips or tweaks?

hi mate
    one thing i would make certain of is to keep the plugins installed to a bare minimum. dont be afraid to install plugins you like and would use on a regular basis but do not install plugins that are not required or useful daily to you. the main plugins i use are incorporated in the vix image anyway now eg autotimer etc. to me also there is definitely a memory issue somewhere and am finding several issues eg erratic vix spinners and swap file issues but rest assured these are all been worked on by the team and will take a bit longer yet to find the cause and solution in it but we will. also apologies mate that this is not always conveyed in the best way by the team ;) but don't be put off posting on the support site or if not pm or post here and i will help out as much as i can for you mate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement