Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Well in fairness I have to admit I don't think I've had an Irish channel on for "a few hours" at any one time. Does it stop working for you after the Duo itself is on for a few hours or is it just one Irish channel, or some other combination?

I've had the TV on for a number of hours, after which the Irish channels were definitely still working, but I can't say I've put it through the ringer, so I guess I can't say mine is fault-free... can I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I have 2 vu+ duo. One with Nova t and other with sundtek. I'd strongly recommend (as i have done earlier in this thread) the Nova T over the Sundtek.

Main reasons are Nova T has far faster channel changing responce time and price. Both provide glitch free viewing on latest version of VIX.

There is a new twin tuner nova t. This is working on pli, has anyone tested it on vix. The twin tuner would prove useful when 2nd mux is fired up for HD channels. It can be bought for circa €60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

+1 for the nova-t, have mine a year now and has been rock steady, runs cool as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

stanley1 wrote: »
    +1 for the nova-t, have mine a year now and has been rock steady, runs cool as well.

I had to reboot my box at least once a week, because the box would hang when changing channels on the Nova-T.

I have a Sundtek now, for a few weeks. I don't get the hang problems any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭banie01

iPwnage wrote: »
    cheers gunther, well i was planning to sticking a uhf on the chimney, only 40 quid, shouldn't be any reception problems then i'd imagine, im in lmk city area ?

awesome thats me sold, ditching the sky as soon as i get the funds for my setup,

think ill get the Wavefrontier T90 dish, the missus will like to have her Italian channels back, we had one of those lidl box's before, but when we moved house i didnt bother to put it back up again

so am i right in thinking : t90 dish, a couple of lnb's, uhf aerial, vu+ duo ='s all my fta channels, rte's & hotbird sat channels also and the recording functionality of the sky+ box

cheers
    banie01 wrote: »
    WaveFrontier Dish, while an excellent bit of kit could be a bit of overkill and expensive depending on what kind of spread you want to get!
    A standard Triax TD88 will allow a 20 degree spread(More with modding)at less than half the cost, I have 9e, 13e, 16e, 19.2e. 23.5e and 28.2e all on the one dish and pull in about 9000 channels,
    If I understand what your after correctly its mainly 13e and 28.2 your after? Easily acheived on a Triax ;) without the expense or difficulty initially setting up a T90, The T90 is the dish to get if you want to add LNBs and make a full hobby out of the box ;)
    As for plugging in a UHF aerial into the box(Which seems to be your aim from your post), You'll still need to plug that aerial into a USB DTT on the box, the box won't handle a UHF feed without the USB tuner.

PS: Whichever Dish setup you go with don't forget to factor in the Diseqc switches and at least dual LNBs to allow a full multituner PVR set up from the start.

IPwnage, Just asking on the off chance you've any decisions regarding your setup yet?
    Just curious as I don't know anyone local with a T90, and even with my 6LNB setup I'm curious to see one in action, just to see if I 'really wanna get 1 ;)
    Although that said if its just Hotbird and Freeview you're going to be after its massive overkill on the dish front :P as a TD88 will do what your after with room for lots more LNBs still ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well in fairness I have to admit I don't think I've had an Irish channel on for "a few hours" at any one time. Does it stop working for you after the Duo itself is on for a few hours or is it just one Irish channel, or some other combination?

I've had the TV on for a number of hours, after which the Irish channels were definitely still working, but I can't say I've put it through the ringer, so I guess I can't say mine is fault-free... can I?
    Ah, it can stop working if watching DTT, or if I'm on satellite and switch back to DTT.

I get the feeling there must be something wrong with my setup, since it works for you and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I suppose this was going to happen at some stage, but has anyone's oscam stopped working?
    (I am just trying to view my own sub)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

kierank01 wrote: »
    I suppose this was going to happen at some stage, but has anyone's oscam stopped working?
    (I am just trying to view my own sub)

Yep, same for me so I had to put the cards back in my sly box for re-activation

The good news is, I had a tip from gambiaman who suggested to set "AU = 1" in the oscam files but I will now have to wait for another month to see if this works. I also think he maybe right as this sets the auto update option on.

Cheers,

jgc115 :)

jgc115 wrote: »
    Yep, same for me so I had to put the cards back in my sly box for re-activation

The good news is, I had a tip from gambiaman who suggested to set "AU = 1" in the oscam files but I will now have to wait for another month to see if this works. I also think he maybe right as this sets the auto update option on.

Cheers,

jgc115 :)

Hi, I put the card back into the sky box, it didn't work initially, but then began to work (I presumed that the card had updated itself), but when I put it back into the vu+ it still dosen't work :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Sattje wrote: »
    In the past year I've read quite a lot about Vu+duo. Always positive. 3 Days ago Broadband TV News published Dream seeks injunction against Satco Europe. Guess Dream got trouble with the success of Vu + duo ?

Ebay have removed VU+ solo and Duo listing???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

joe250 wrote: »
    Ebay have removed VU+ solo and Duo listing???

classic response if its breach of copyrights.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

kierank01 wrote: »
    Hi, I put the card back into the sky box, it didn't work initially, but then began to work (I presumed that the card had updated itself), but when I put it back into the vu+ it still dosen't work :confused:

Well, I did exactly that and it worked fine in my Vu+ and still is. It should work, assuming
    you didn't change anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

givecredit wrote: »

There is a new twin tuner nova t. This is working on pli, has anyone tested it on vix. The twin tuner would prove useful when 2nd mux is fired up for HD channels. It can be bought for circa €60

Is this the one?

Reportedly working on Blackhole. I'm tempted to get it in the next few weeks, will certainly try it with VIX.

It's curious that DTT performance is so variable. Last week I was getting black screens, blank recordings, presumed it was a driver issue, but maybe the interaction of plugins etc. has an effect, because it's been trouble free all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

rurs wrote: »
    Is this the one?

Reportedly working on Blackhole. I'm tempted to get it in the next few weeks, will certainly try it with VIX.

Yes. That the one. Have read elsewhere that it works with vix

taken from pli forum:

"have a Hauppauge Nova TD stick which works very well. However, I have it installed under Vix 2.1.4 which is slightly different to the OpenPLi images (though it is based on the OpenPLi). It uses Dib0700 driver"

jgc115 wrote: »
    Well, I did exactly that and it worked fine in my Vu+ and still is. It should work, assuming
    you didn't change anything?

I left it in the sky box overnight, and it is all ok in the vu+ now.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

That reminds me to ask... I have an old Sky box with a lapsed Sky card. I assume there's no reason for me to use this card in the Duo? ie. it wouldn't give me RTE (if i needed it) or kids channels like Nickelodeon would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭x PHEONIX x

That reminds me to ask... I have an old Sky box with a lapsed Sky card. I assume there's no reason for me to use this card in the Duo? ie. it wouldn't give me RTE (if i needed it) or kids channels like Nickelodeon would it?

all that card would give you would be the FTV = free to view channels.

No harm in giving it a go. I had my old channels entitlements, for an extra 3 months or so after my subscription ran out. You will need cccam for the card to work.

An Irish old sky card doesn't give you any extra FTV channels.

Hi folks,
    Quick question, I think the answer is yes but i just want to be 100%
    If I have .MKV with DTS soundtrack is the only way to get Multichannel audio via my Vu+ is to use an optical cable for audio? (apart from remuxing of course)
    I'm aware I can switch downmix to on and get stereo, but it leaves the auld surround sound a bit idle ;)
    Am I right in thinking this?
    Or is there some way to get multichannel audio over HDMI?
    Thanks in advance and sorry for the silly question!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

byte wrote: »
    Ah, it can stop working if watching DTT, or if I'm on satellite and switch back to DTT.

I get the feeling there must be something wrong with my setup, since it works for you and others.

I have the exact same problems as this, getting really annoying.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,
    Quick question, I think the answer is yes but i just want to be 100%
    If I have .MKV with DTS soundtrack is the only way to get Multichannel audio via my Vu+ is to use an optical cable for audio? (apart from remuxing of course)
    I'm aware I can switch downmix to on and get stereo, but it leaves the auld surround sound a bit idle ;)
    Am I right in thinking this?
    Or is there some way to get multichannel audio over HDMI?
    Thanks in advance and sorry for the silly question!

The media player with Vu+ Duo is mediocre at best. I use a Apple TV with XBMC which is a full featured media player plus an apps store. There is a addon for playing RTE player/TV3 player called VODie, another called IceFilms for streaming movies from the net, straight to the box. It's another device under you TV, but the Vu+ Duo doesn't have enough processor power for playing all your media. You can get one for €120 from the Apple Store. It's a great addition to your visual experience.

More info at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056246667

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the Rytec epg server today ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

IPwnage, Just asking on the off chance you've any decisions regarding your setup yet?
    Just curious as I don't know anyone local with a T90, and even with my 6LNB setup I'm curious to see one in action, just to see if I 'really wanna get 1 ;)
    Although that said if its just Hotbird and Freeview you're going to be after its massive overkill on the dish front :P as a TD88 will do what your after with room for lots more LNBs still ;)
    hey sorry I just saw your posts to me now !!
    Thanks for the tip regarding the wavefrontier being possibly overkill for my wanted setup, yes all i want is the regular fta channels and the Italian hotbird channels, so ya your advice in using a t90 sounds good to me, you reckon it does the job

I havent bought any kit yet, just got the ol' college exams out of the way first !!
    im sure ill be back with questions soon

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks for the tip regarding the wavefrontier being possibly overkill for my wanted setup, yes all i want is the regular fta channels and the Italian hotbird channels, so ya your advice in using a t90 sounds good to me, you reckon it does the job

I havent bought any kit yet, just got the ol' college exams out of the way first !!

thanks

hy,
    i can put my T90 at stake in order to see a VU+ at work...
    :)

thanks

Well I'm in Limerick City too, so if you want to take a look at my own setup before you make up your mind on what you are going to do feel free to give me a shout and sort a visit ;)
    My own set up is 6LNBs on a TD88.
    I did give the T90 serious consideration and if i ever change my dish it will be for a T90 and a Feeds capable box ;)
    But as it stands everything I actually want is covered on the dish I have.
    If you want to check it out anytime drop me a PM ;)

Tony wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the Rytec epg server today ?

Yeah Tony, I've found the Rytec source to be very patchy on both Ryvix EPG and cross epg plugins for the last few weeks!
    Seems to be up and down a lot lately

RogerThis wrote: »
    The media player with Vu+ Duo is mediocre at best. I use a Apple TV with XBMC which is a full featured media player plus an apps store. There is a addon for playing RTE player/TV3 player called VODie, another called IceFilms for streaming movies from the net, straight to the box. It's another device under you TV, but the Vu+ Duo doesn't have enough processor power for playing all your media. You can get one for €120 from the Apple Store. It's a great addition to your visual experience.

More info at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056246667

I'm not spending anymore money :P
    The latest VIX and OpenPLI both have made an attempt at integrating DTS playback but its patchy at best, can be very stuttery :(
    So I've just gotten into the habit of remuxing any DTS to DD5.1 and the Vu+ handles that just fine :)
    And being able to stick all my movies and 3d MKV in place keeps under the TV tidy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Has anyone any good recommendations for a .ts editor for editing the ads etc out of clips recorded on the VU+ Duo? I want something that is simple, i.e. I just want to cut and edit my ts files. Would also like it to be free if possible.

dnme wrote: »
    Has anyone any good recommendations for a .ts editor for editing the ads etc out of clips recorded on the VU+ Duo? I want something that is simple, i.e. I just want to cut and edit my ts files. Would also like it to be free if possible.

VideoReDo is the best but it's not free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Well I'm in Limerick City too, so if you want to take a look at my own setup before you make up your mind on what you are going to do feel free to give me a shout and sort a visit ;)
    My own set up is 6LNBs on a TD88.
    I did give the T90 serious consideration and if i ever change my dish it will be for a T90 and a Feeds capable box ;)
    But as it stands everything I actually want is covered on the dish I have.
    If you want to check it out anytime drop me a PM ;)
    thats sounds great, ill give you a shout soon !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement