Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

something very odd here especially as they are retailers, they can't be selling any boxes at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

stanley1 wrote: »
    something very odd here especially as they are retailers, they can't be selling any boxes at this rate.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/ seems fine

http://www.world-of-satellite.com is down....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Plenty of other decent sites about or has this turned into a thread for a specific forum :D

Their shop and Forum are hosted on different servers although they are the same entity (even though they want you to think they are separate)

So send the shop an email and ask them whats happening with their forum :rolleyes:

clarke-tech et9000 is now same price as vuduo, €394.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Plenty of other decent sites about or has this turned into a thread for a specific forum :D
    a little while ago, all the posts were about the ielektroniks site :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Robxxx7 wrote: »

Their shop and Forum are hosted on different servers although they are the same entity (even though they want you to think they are separate)

So send the shop an email and ask them whats happening with their forum :rolleyes:

Very true!
    Unfortunately with the dominance of VIX image on this box, lots of people head there 1st and the current website issues are causing lots of people consternation ;)
    I keep a weather eye on lots of fora to keep up rather than rely on one source :)

kierank01 wrote: »
    a little while ago, all the posts were about the ielektroniks site :rolleyes:

yes because thats where you could get a VU DUO cheaper .... i was talking about other forums that discuss pretty much the same as is dicussed here :p

3 new images from the blackhole team

BlackHole Vu+ Duo v. 1.5 Multituner
    New BlackHole Vu+ Solo v. 1.5 Multituner
    Old BlackHole Vu+ Uno v. 1.5 Multituner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Just seen a post on world-of-satellite.com that explains why drivers for Avermedia Volar Black HD (A850) stick don't work on VIX - the guy helping to port them for VIX has disappeared!
    Mystery (sort of) solved.

I'll be staying with Blackhole for a while then.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blank_screen

Hi guys,
    I ordered vu+ duo from ielektroniks.com on Thursday, they've sent it on Friday by GLS, but they didnt issue the tracking number. ielektroniks.com keep saying they didnt get it either and when they did, they will let me know. Anyone here buying from them had the same problem? Doesn't GLS gives the tracking number straight away after picking up the package?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

How would Black Hole compare with VIX?

Maybe some of you have tried both? I'm still using VIX 2.0 and still having DTT issues (I think 2.1 fixes these issues) though I'd be open to BH if it were considered better.

Can't answer regarding DTT personally, but i've used blackhole on numerous linux boxes and they have always been extremely stable. They have many years experience of producing good firmware for linux boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

All,

The DTT support on VIX and other images is there now for several months.

Some users have said all along that they had absolutely no issues with recordings (even multiple recordings) black screens, no DTT channels or breakup on recordings.

Im just wondering what users are finding now.

I see a few posts here on the Nova-T and its issues but still no comments on issues with the SunDtek tuner.

IrishChris hows the sundtek going for you.

What are peoples success stories or horror stories on DTT.

I see on the Terestrial forum where users of the NOVA-t were complaining of channel breakup and stuttering and heavy CPU usage (upto 100%) on single core PCs when recording RTE2 HD (20-25% on all other DTT Channels). This is probably the same issue on the Duo. Lack of horse power. I have switched all RTE 2 recordings to SAT and its fine since.

I think the Duo is not capable of HD recording from USB.

D

Do you a swap file on your box ?

What happens when you run the 'top' command in telnet

If it is a hardware limitation then hopefully the top command will show it

don't know what all the fuss is about, nova-t has worked flawlessly for me in vix., no issues on recording etc., using 64mb swap on cruzer blade usb stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

dfdream wrote: »
    All,

D

Not my experience. It's more down to the drivers, I think.

I've been using Blackhole from the start, as it supported the DTT tuner I already had. This happened to have the afatech chipset, so was compatible with the Avermedia A850 driver. Previous versions of this driver (eg v0.2.9) only seemed to allow a single recording, and watch another on the mux.

Yesterday, I updated the driver to v0.3.2, (which is included in Blackhole 1.5, but I didn't fancy a complete reinstall, only updated to 1.4.6 last week), now it seems several simultaneous recordings are possible.

I tried the Top command (thanks for the tip, Robxxx), 3 DTT recordings, including RTE2 HD, leaves almost 80% idle CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

dfdream wrote: »
    All,

The DTT support on VIX and other images is there now for several months.

Some users have said all along that they had absolutely no issues with recordings (even multiple recordings) black screens, no DTT channels or breakup on recordings.

Im just wondering what users are finding now.

I see a few posts here on the Nova-T and its issues but still no comments on issues with the SunDtek tuner.

IrishChris hows the sundtek going for you.

What are peoples success stories or horror stories on DTT.

I see on the Terestrial forum where users of the NOVA-t were complaining of channel breakup and stuttering and heavy CPU usage (upto 100%) on single core PCs when recording RTE2 HD (20-25% on all other DTT Channels). This is probably the same issue on the Duo. Lack of horse power. I have switched all RTE 2 recordings to SAT and its fine since.

D

I did notice some blank screens with (i think) a beta version of openpli, before the release of vix 2.0, but I have not seen any since then.

I have seen some pixelation, but I am also seeing this in my idtv, so that must be a signal issue.

Having said all that I have not really pushed the duo, by doing multiple recordings etc.

rurs wrote: »
    Not my experience. It's more down to the drivers, I think.

I've been using Blackhole from the start, as it supported the DTT tuner I already had. This happened to have the afatech chipset, so was compatible with the Avermedia A850 driver. Previous versions of this driver (eg v0.2.9) only seemed to allow a single recording, and watch another on the mux.

Yesterday, I updated the driver to v0.3.2, (which is included in Blackhole 1.5, but I didn't fancy a complete reinstall, only updated to 1.4.6 last week), now it seems several simultaneous recordings are possible.

I tried the Top command (thanks for the tip, Robxxx), 3 DTT recordings, including RTE2 HD, leaves almost 80% idle CPU.

thanks for that rurs, now I'll be updating to 1.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

gambiaman wrote: »
    thanks for that rurs, now I'll be updating to 1.5

is it possible to update online direct to the box or does it need USB upgrade?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    is it possible to upadte online direct to the box or does it need USB upgrade?

Updating the image needs to be done via USB, I think, but updating the tuner driver can be done via servers. Instructions from vuplus-community.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks Rurs

rurs wrote: »
    Updating the image needs to be done via USB, I think, but updating the tuner driver can be done via servers. Instructions from vuplus-community.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread for a number of days. There's a lot to take in and a lot of it becomes irrelevant once a VIX patch (or whatever) is introduced. Then new issues arise inevitably.

Anyway, I've decided a VU+ Duo is for me and will be purchasing probably tomorrow (yes I've noted the discounts on the Spanish site). If it arrives before the Easter Weekend it'd be nice.

One question I didn't see specifically mentioned: Series record. I believe there's a different name for it on this unit, but can it do it as well as Sky+/ Freesat can? Is it dependable -once set up correctly?

There are a couple of extras I'll need to buy too, like the DTT USB stick (probably go for the Nova+ now that issues seem to be resolved on VIX 2.x).

I'll probably want a USB memory stick too -apart from the smaller one for flashing I mean- in order to keep the hdd from running nonstop for live pause. I assume faster sticks are better, so does anyone have any suggestions (on a price/ performance basis)?

How does it work if you pause something then wish to record it while it's still on? At the moment, my Freesat box will drop what's paused and begin recording from the 'live' position only. Is this the (default) case on the VU+ and/or is there a way for it to dump the backlogged part onto the hdd before beginning the record? (I don't need specifics at this stage -just tell me if it's possible).

Either way, I know it's not exactly fundamental to my choosing this 'player', but would be nice to know.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread for the past year or more -especially Irishchris of course. All the ups & downs of the various releases and other issues have been followed by me for the past few days as if it were a soap opera. I can't tell how much of it has helped me when it comes to first install, but it sounds like fun anyway. I won't hold back in asking when the time comes, but hopefully I'll get through a bit of it before yelling on here for help!

/Just thought I'd say hello and warn you I'll be back. ;)

...Now who's gonna make a VU+ sticky and restart this thread so other poor souls won't have to trawl through all the way from the start? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

what kinda aerial are people using with the nova-t. i cant pick anything with the little aerial thats comes wit it. i dont have an outdoor aerial. so any suggestions of an indoor aerial that will do the job.

irishgeo wrote: »
    what kinda aerial are people using with the nova-t. i cant pick anything with the little aerial thats comes wit it. i dont have an outdoor aerial. so any suggestions of an indoor aerial that will do the job.

Have a look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56446661&postcount=2

I have a few of the ones in picture 2 that work perfectly on my vu, my tv and my HTPC PC.

The attic ones look best if where you are is 'remote'

byte wrote: »

Maybe some of you have tried both? I'm still using VIX 2.0 and still having DTT issues (I think 2.1 fixes these issues) though I'd be open to BH if it were considered better.

Anything in particular you like about Vix? I haven't really used it, so can't compare directly with BH, but I can tell you if there's something you might miss if you switch.

One question I didn't see specifically mentioned: Series record. I believe there's a different name for it on this unit, but can it do it as well as Sky+/ Freesat can? Is it dependable -once set up correctly?

There are a couple of extras I'll need to buy too, like the DTT USB stick (probably go for the Nova+ now that issues seem to be resolved on VIX 2.x).

I'll probably want a USB memory stick too -apart from the smaller one for flashing I mean- in order to keep the hdd from running nonstop for live pause. I assume faster sticks are better, so does anyone have any suggestions (on a price/ performance basis)?

How does it work if you pause something then wish to record it while it's still on? At the moment, my Freesat box will drop what's paused and begin recording from the 'live' position only. Is this the (default) case on the VU+ and/or is there a way for it to dump the backlogged part onto the hdd before beginning the record? (I don't need specifics at this stage -just tell me if it's possible).

Either way, I know it's not exactly fundamental to my choosing this 'player', but would be nice to know.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread for the past year or more -especially Irishchris of course. All the ups & downs of the various releases and other issues have been followed by me for the past few days as if it were a soap opera. I can't tell how much of it has helped me when it comes to first install, but it sounds like fun anyway. I won't hold back in asking when the time comes, but hopefully I'll get through a bit of it before yelling on here for help!

/Just thought I'd say hello and warn you I'll be back. ;)

...Now who's gonna make a VU+ sticky and restart this thread so other poor souls won't have to trawl through all the way from the start? :)

Autotimer is the Vu's series link and on Vix it is integrated the best and most sky+ like, IMO

USB sticks; faster the better there are recommendation over on world-of-satellite.com
    It's good practice to stick your epg data, picons and swapfile on that.

I think Permanent Timeshift will do what you ask for in the highlighted bit, it worked well on Vix 2.0 but i haven't really used Vix 2.1
    I think if you hit recoprd after being on a program with this plugin turned on, you will get a menu that asks if you want to record from when you tuned in

These two forums will give you much more info than here:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?156-ViX-Team-Duo-Image-Talk

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?11-VU-Duo

HTH

byte wrote: »

I'm using it now instead of Vix, mainly for USB DTT support of my stick.

It is very, very stable - not as many hourglasses as on Vix which I know is loaded with built-in features

The only thing I miss is permanent timeshift which works but knocks out the epg banner at the bottom of the screen if installed.

Multiquickbutton sorts out the keymaps Vix-like
    Autotimer isn't as well integrated (it's not at all in fact, I need MQB to get some sort of decent functionality out of it), it's a seperate download

Superficial thing like skins - I prefer the Vix main one and some of the BH ones are rank but there is one or two that are okay.

EPG built-in is good, you can also download crossepg if you like through Tuniasiasat plugin, ditto with cooltv guide (there is only the basic standard guide in the image)

Cams need to be installed manually and there is an auto cam manager

Now it has the record more than one channel off DTT and dual usb tuner support (I don';t have two usb tuners)

I like it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

Since Vix 2.0, that hourglass seems to crop up much more than it did with the previous editions of the firmware.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement