Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Snowing for hours here now, some light, other times more moderate snowfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

No thaw here in cork yet, about 2 ins snow and freezing fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 la gordita

only a couple of patches of grey stuff in the garden now - pretty manky looking:(. I had thought that once this weather was over, I would move back to my usual forums, but no..... first thing this morning, I was checking the weather! Seems this has become my weather forecasting site of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

ME predicting snowfall for parts of midlands and north tomorrow, as well as higher ground for at least a while tomorrow. This weather forum might just start to get busier again in the next few hours. :rolleyes

ADDON
    UKMO have released their monthly outlook
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Light snow tailing off here, but the sky is dark and heavy. The poetic word is "gravid".

• Advertisement

Oh *****

You mean.. no "Great Escape"?

Ay me!!!

PS No way would I stay up for it!
    WolfeIRE wrote: »
    ME predicting snowfall for parts of midlands and north tomorrow, as well as higher ground for at least a while tomorrow. This weather forum might just start to get busier again in the next few hours. :rolleyes

ADDON

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh *****

You mean.. no "Great Escape"?

Ay me!!!

PS No way would I stay up for it!

I think we should throw you a party when you can finally get out !!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Stunned at how overcast your photos are WolfeIRE.... Bright sunshine up here not so far from you....

Just been down to school (Im the caretaker) to check the pipes, crank up the heating etc... Everything working fine so hopefully we can re-open tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

ADDON

Tomorrow's front is forecast to become slow moving as it pushes up over Ireland tomorrow, and indeed may stall. This is due to a small cool bank of air being drawn up ahead of the main occlusion tomorrow afternoon which may have the effect of lowering temperatures a little after a small rise in those areas under the frontal zone. This may of course lead to snowfall, which as you say, parts of Ulster, Connacht and Ulster most at risk from tomorrow afternoon. May not happen of course but certainly will be interesting to monitor. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Stunned at how overcast your photos are WolfeIRE.... Bright sunshine up here not so far from you....

and it's still the same Chicken. Also temp is now 0C.

Here is a roads update for Clare too:
    -[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Main Kilkee to Kilrush road remains dangerous as black ice has been covered with a layer of snow. The Cooraclare, Kilrush and Doonbeg roads are very dangerous and snow remains on all roads
    -[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]In the Shannon area all roads are passable with care but byroads in the Sixmilebridge area remain dangerous
    -[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Corkscrew Hill, located between Lisdoonvarna and Ballyvaughan, is closed and many minor roads are impassable in North Clare. Main roads in the Ennistymon area also passable but the side roads remain slippery
    -[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]All roads on the Killaloe area are in a dangerous condition following fresh snowfall overnight. Caution is required on all roads, especially on hills. Main Street and Hill Road in Killaloe are closed. The hill on the bad bend at Bodyke is very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Dark, brown clouds approaching the northside of Cork from the east. Looks like more precipitation coming soon but anybodies guess what it will fall as. Its 2c but I've no dewpoint reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

been spitting rain here all morning.. not really making much inroads on the 3 weeks of ice though. I am hoping for rain tomorrow because I know what happened when I hoped for snow yesterday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Hi all,
    Its back to normal here in Wexford, green grass now again, i miss looking out at my blanket of snow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

uksat_440x297.jpg

SNOWFALL CHARTS FOR TOMORROW (latest) - various ensembles

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/11/basis06/ukuk/prty/10011218_1106.gif
    http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gens/run/gens-0-2-30.png?6

The UKMO upper air temps look marginal for snow. I reckon the intensity of the precipitation, coupled with the front moving slowly over an already cooled landmass and these marginal uppers presents a line from North Kerry to North Wicklow in the line of fire. Higher ground will most likely see snow in the middle third of the country. Further North it could fall at lower levels. The pace of this front move NE, as Deep mentioned, will dictate the whether any snow will be shortlived or a more prolonged affair. It looks like the front is going to approach the SW rapidly tonight but slow as become very slow moving (like yesterday's front).

ME are generalising the potential impact of tomorrow's front as snow/rain. I am sure they will be more definite about matters come this evening. It's certainly leaning towards widespread rain for most at the moment but time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Well, it looks like we are at the end of this particular cold spell, with another swipe possible from tomorrows system for some of us. As a winter, we cannot compare it to 47 or 63 or 1684 or whatever, until March 1st. If we got another 6 or 7 weeks of mild wet weather, we won't be putting it those brackets. I think, though, that the cold weather will make a re-appearance at some point, we still have most of January to go, and all of February, and March can be tricky too. It will be fascinating to see what happens.

It will be quieter here no doubt, and I'm sure we'll miss John1994 and Owenc's manic but fun contributions! :D;)

Somehow I don't think Owen wil be so easy to "lose"...;)
    Well, it looks like we are at the end of this particular cold spell, with another swipe possible from tomorrows system for some of us. As a winter, we cannot compare it to 47 or 63 or 1684 or whatever, until March 1st. If we got another 6 or 7 weeks of mild wet weather, we won't be putting it those brackets. I think, though, that the cold weather will make a re-appearance at some point, we still have most of January to go, and all of February, and March can be tricky too. It will be fascinating to see what happens.

It will be quieter here no doubt, and I'm sure we'll miss John1994 and Owenc's manic but fun contributions! :D;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Indeed, usually at this time of year we're looking in the dim and distant future (in the models) for our first cold spell of winter. A long way to go yet.

• Advertisement

Quite heavy snow falling now, bit of a contradiction here, but it is sticking yet there is a slight thaw continuing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

oh please hopefully we get another 'big freeze' as they say, i know uk and france have had it bad but is it a europe wide thing? and i dont get any disruption where i live so i hope we have loads more of these in the next 2 months. i cannot wait :D

Met Éireann has said that the severe cold snap is over for now, but it could return again by the weekend.

"This week is very much a transitional week," said Evelyn Cusack of Met Éireann, warning that while mild, wet and windy weather would prevail, the sub-zero temperatures could well return next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

so Clare will have either nowt...or lots... :D
    Love science, me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

Met Éireann has said that the severe cold snap is over for now, but it could return again by the weekend.

"This week is very much a transitional week," said Evelyn Cusack of Met Éireann, warning that while mild, wet and windy weather would prevail, the sub-zero temperatures could well return next week.
    :eek:
    monkey.jpg

THIS SHOULD BE FUN ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hopefully I get to change my signature back again real soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Bright and sunny in Galway City.
    About 2c, still a bit of snow lying, especially in shaded areas.
    Some of the side streets seem to have a good bit of slush on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

all back on the rollercoaster....scream if you wanna go faster...:D

Very heavy snow here about 6 miles north of Kilkenny city, the car bonnet which had its own avalanche this morning is again white.

Looking at the radar in animation, that stuff is moving very slowly, could get a lot of snow still today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

so Clare will have either nowt...or lots... :D
    Love science, me !

Galway City misses out every time..We only got about enough snow to make a snow baby throughout the Big Freeze!:(

Advertisement