Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

And the only Met station sub zero at 9.00 this morning is.....Valentia!

Topsy turvy stuff at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    By the way, a big word of thanks to all of you for your reports during the last few weeks. I am a newbie to boards and have really enjoyed it. The expertise here is first class and invariably on the money. You know who you are so congrats to you. Boards.ie's weather forum really took on a life of its own these last few weeks.

Rain, snow or shine I am sticking around. ;)

thanks, its been great having you here, and reading your reports. Will be looking forward to rain, snow & sun reports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Here's something to spice up the conversation, it's warmer in Ireland now than it is in Florida. Normally (even though it is the middle of the night there) it would be about 10 C in Florida now and 20-25 C in the daytime. They have been setting low temperature records for days, tonight no exception. Yesterday was the second coldest day ever recorded in Miami and I believe the coldest ever in some other places around Florida. Mind you, it will be sunny there today, but you would need full winter dress to sit on the beach.

As to the temperatures in the UK, that was just a fluke reading in northwest Scotland where one station dropped down below -20, otherwise it is generally about the same temperature range across most of England and Wales as you have in Ireland, maybe a degree or two lower at present. When this Atlantic low comes in tomorrow, that cold air is going to stay over there and could set off the heavy snowfalls that the BBC seem to think will extend into Dublin and Ulster. They may be right about parts of Ulster, I feel, but for Dublin, I figure the chances of snow are only for a few minutes to an hour or so at the beginning of the precip event, and then probably only in the higher outlying districts, if the guidance is accurate I think it would start as sleet and quickly turn to rain (maybe 4 C by 0900, 6 C by noon) so it's going to be a case of mostly rain, some isolated snow over the higher portions of the country tomorrow.

Counties that could see heavy snow tomorrow morning or mid-day might include Louth, Westmeath, parts of Meath (west), Cavan, Monaghan and inland parts of Northern Ireland in general. Even there, I don't feel too confident on it, but if heavy snow does fall, that's more likely where it will occur.

i think that sums it up. here in sandyford right now that current front is still giving us sleet, very slow to clear off, and it really is still trying desperately to turn to snow. the heavier it falls, the more snowy it gets, dragging the colder air down. this current front seems to be stalling a bit also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

snow ghost wrote: »
    It's warmer in Ireland than Florida MT!!! Is that meant to make us feel better??? lol :)

Sub zero in Orlando again this morning. Big Thunder Mountain ride might be a tad chilly today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Morning folks, my little bit of snow that fell yesterday and last night has all but thawd... specs of white still on the grass and tarmac patios but cars and plastic toys are just wet.. for the first morning in ages the dogs water bowl was not frozen this am. So dissappointed because I woke up at 2:30 last night and looked out the window and it was bucketing down big flakes, thought for sure we would finally get to make that snowman... ah well. Hope those of you who have had good snow are enjoying it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Sub zero in Orlando again this morning. Big Thunder Mountain ride might be a tad chilly today.....

There might be an avalanche on big thunder mountain by the way it's going. :)

BTW, did anyone hear about that Avalanche on Aranmore Island, Donegal... first eathquakes, then icebergs now avalanches. ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

inabina wrote: »
    i think that sums it up. here in sandyford right now that current front is still giving us sleet, very slow to clear off, and it really is still trying desperately to turn to snow. the heavier it falls, the more snowy it gets, dragging the colder air down. this current front seems to be stalling a bit also.

Full on sleet here - big flakes - very surprised! 1.7c DP 1.7c

Back to sleety rain now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Looking at the latest GFS, it looks as if there is renewed risk of flooding for Cork, Galway and Clare. The rainfall that is predicted for later in the week coupled with the water (melted snow) that will be coming down from high ground over the next few days may again be too much for some low lying towns like Cork, Ballinasloe, Gort and Ennis. Please God this doesn't happen again to residents and businesses in these areas if not for the local authorities that are already stretched to their limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eastie

Everything is white here in east cork, uploading a pic of the view from my garden, that blob is a fox, poor fecker has been very visible the last couple of weeks looking for food. I suppose thats where the Donegal postman gets some of his predictions, if you do live in a very rural area watching the animals can tell you things. Fecked if I know what it means ;)
    I must get a new camera, the owl camera phone doesnt cut it, could have been a good pic if I had a decent camera.

IMG00042-20100111-0946.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Kerry: Bright sunshine, but the snow isn't shifting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Here's something to spice up the conversation, it's warmer in Ireland now than it is in Florida. Normally (even though it is the middle of the night there) it would be about 10 C in Florida now and 20-25 C in the daytime. They have been setting low temperature records for days, tonight no exception. Yesterday was the second coldest day ever recorded in Miami and I believe the coldest ever in some other places around Florida. Mind you, it will be sunny there today, but you would need full winter dress to sit on the beach.

As to the temperatures in the UK, that was just a fluke reading in northwest Scotland where one station dropped down below -20, otherwise it is generally about the same temperature range across most of England and Wales as you have in Ireland, maybe a degree or two lower at present. When this Atlantic low comes in tomorrow, that cold air is going to stay over there and could set off the heavy snowfalls that the BBC seem to think will extend into Dublin and Ulster. They may be right about parts of Ulster, I feel, but for Dublin, I figure the chances of snow are only for a few minutes to an hour or so at the beginning of the precip event, and then probably only in the higher outlying districts, if the guidance is accurate I think it would start as sleet and quickly turn to rain (maybe 4 C by 0900, 6 C by noon) so it's going to be a case of mostly rain, some isolated snow over the higher portions of the country tomorrow.

Counties that could see heavy snow tomorrow morning or mid-day might include Louth, Westmeath, parts of Meath (west), Cavan, Monaghan and inland parts of Northern Ireland in general. Even there, I don't feel too confident on it, but if heavy snow does fall, that's more likely where it will occur.

I flew for Xmas once from Seattle to Orlando. It was a very balmy 16c in Seattle when i left and -1 in Orlando when we arrived - we were gutted! Mind you, it went up to 22c in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    Hope those of you who have had good snow are enjoying it!

nice gesture Tipsy. You might get to make that snowman tomorrow though, some say its rain, goodwebsites forecast snow, we will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

its raining here, :( with a bit of snow in between

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature rising since this morning, never got below freezing all night. Had a little sleet but no snow last night..

Temperature: 1.3 °C
    Dew Point: 1.0 °C

Raining lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Some pics. Camera phone quality isnt great. Temp is now -1c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

just went out for a gander round the house and fields and despite the rain the snow is still not shifting. I imagine it has more or less shifted in Waterford City but unless we get a major thaw then everywhere round here will be lethal tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some pics. Camera phone quality isnt great. Temp is now -1c

Very nice, looks like the real deal alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Looking at the latest GFS, it looks as if there is renewed risk of flooding for Cork, Galway and Clare. The rainfall that is predicted for later in the week coupled with the water (melted snow) that will be coming down from high ground over the next few days may again be too much for some low lying towns like Cork, Ballinasloe, Gort and Ennis. Please God this doesn't happen again to residents and businesses in these areas if not for the local authorities that are already stretched to their limits.
    I think the areas most at risk from snow melt would be places in Leinster like Carlow and Enniscorthy and as you said Cork.
    Theres a phenomenal amount of snow on the Wicklow Mountains at the moment and with strong southerly winds or even gales on the way, this could pile tides up along the south coast where the Barrow,Suir, Nore and Lee enter the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

And the only Met station sub zero at 9.00 this morning is.....Valentia!

Topsy turvy stuff at the moment....

:eek: Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

snow ghost wrote: »
    There might be an avalanche on big thunder mountain by the way it's going. :)

BTW, did anyone hear about that Avalanche on Aranmore Island, Donegal... first eathquakes, then icebergs now avalanches. ;)

Are you pulling our legs about the avalanche?? i know the earth tremor was widely reported and as for the pic of the iceberg!! lol !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

eskimocat wrote: »
    Are you pulling our legs about the avalanche?? i know the earth tremor was widely reported and as for the pic of the iceberg!! lol !!!

A quick google gives nothing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

id like to see the pic of the iceberg if anyone has it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

I'd also like to add my thanks to all here for all the reports/info/prospects on what snow is likely to fall, and where will be effected!!

Overall - Ireland's got it's snow in the end - the roller coaster has well and truely been an unforgettable ride, at the peak it reached -11 here in Enniskillen, on several nights it was between -8 and -10, truely increadible!!

Woke up this morning, having been raining last night, most of the snow had gone, a little left on the grass and the roads, but gone from all the tree's, fences etc. Still very dark when i woke up, about 07.15 or so. No sign of any snow which fell over-night, all rain!! Went back to bed for a quick lie-in before having to get up for work. Looked out the window about 08.15 or so and was most surprised that it had started snowing!! :D Not very heavy - but was snowing none the less. Started up the car and it was really starting to come down, the slush which was left apeared to be freezing over and the fresh snow sloooooowly starting to cover it, made for some very slipperly conditions coming out of the house and down the road and onto the main road was trechous. Main Dublin road not bad - but I gather it's trechous around Belturbet. Still snowing at the moment here, doesn't seem to be lying though, from what I can see out the window here at work the grass seems to still be green-ish!! The road down to work looks abit more whiter however!!

Again - many thanks to all here for all their reports - especially useful was reports from Letrim/Dongeal/Sligo/Monaghan/Cavan, I had a fair idea of what to expect for here!! I'l be sticking around on the weather forums, hoping for some good Thunderstorms this year - last year was very dissappointing for storms up here, lets hope 2010 is a storm season!! Anyway, lets stick to snow for now - (although I did see lightning before Christmas over the hills towards Donegal :D!!).
    Will be interesting to see if the snow continues here for the day, looks like there more to come from the East - West. Interesting to see what will happen 2morro... Anyway, I'll try and keep you all informed of any changes here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 W23

I got to glendalough using snow chains on saturday. it was stunning and the lake was frozen over, here are some photos

and a few more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

W23 wrote: »
    I got to glendalough using snow chains on saturday. it was stunning and the lake was frozen over, here are some photos

wow,haven't seen snow like that in year's :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Snowing a bit here, about a half foot of snow on the ground, slight thaw but no different from last night, slight thaw but still near 2 inches of snow fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Major swing from the NAE UKMO model at 6z

Placement of that low to the south of Ireland tomorrow hugely changed and chance of snow greatly reduced. According to it could reach 10c in SW tomorrow night.

6z Model Placement

10011218_1106.gif

0z Model Placement

10011218_1100.gif

Quite an amazing switch at such range of a lows position!!

I think that there was a small avalanche in Glendalough on Saturday. Check out image 3590 above. It looks like there's an avalanche scar in the centre of the photo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Weathercheck, inland south east according to those charts to get the most snow tomorrow?

Advertisement