Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

No readings below 0 :(

BTW I think the Education Minister was right to do what he did. How was he to know the weather would start to get better? He was working with advice from MET.

Now that the worst appears to have passed, he has stated that schools can once again assess their own situations, and open if it is safe to do so.

Seriously, whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

WolfeIRE I've started a new thread for tomorrow's rain/wind/sleet/snow(?) event.
    flanzer wrote: »
    Yeah, sure it's still panto season isn't it...... The schools are closed.....Oh no they're not........oh yes they are.......oh no they're not

I feel ashamed to be Irish sometimes

He took a decision that was based on forecasts at the time from experts. I was actually glad to see someone within government taking some affirmative action one way or the other. It turns out the forecasts were incorrect and he is now trying to put the situation right but typical of the Irish they only see the fact that he got it wrong and a chance of a good ole moan.

Your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don't in this country. We just love complaining behind any thinly veiled bad or otherwise reasoning we can use to beat people with.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The postman has only just passed and going very slowly; usually he is here before 9 am.

Must be bad out there still on the road:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

What's wrong with that ? Where to start . . .

For one, there already is a standing arrangement in place - schools decide to open or close themselves depending on *local* conditions. There was no need for d'minister to come in like a storm trooper and say they were all to close for the next 3 days.

Sure, he could have said that schools could close if they wanted to (already an arrangement for that, remember) or open if the local conditions allowed for it.

Now, parents who have taken days holidays may or may not be able to cancel that arrangement with their employers, people who had booked someone to come in and mind their kids may have to pay them for the booked time, etc . . .

Second, remember the whole 'cost to the economy' line that the likes of d'ministers and IBEC and RTE trot out every time there's a threatened strike ? Well, guess what ? This little fiasco just had a real cost to the economy by causing people to take holidays they hadn't planned, by leaving employers short on staff, etc . . .

Third, what's worse, money lost to the economy because people couldn't get to their place of work because of weather (and so couldn't fill orders, stack shelves, do the accounts, whatever) or money lost to the economy because they couldn't get to their place of work as a result of a false alarm based on projecting the conditions 5 days ahead. Remember the old chestnut about past performance not being a good indicator, etc, etc . . .

The bottom line is this - if the government had just stayed asleep last week like they did for the previous 3 weeks and there had been no pronouncement on Friday afternoon then parents and school managements would have looked out the window on Sunday evening, checked again on Monday morning, the schools would have opened, people would have gone home or to work and it would just have been an ordinary day like it should have been. Instead we have this mess-up.

z

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31?&search=dublin&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

I'm feeling optimistic. BBC are giving Dublin heavy snow for tomorrow :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

so is tomorrow are last chance for snow yea???? why has it happnened that this snow fell as sleet.... btw we were so close here to snow it was snowing on the mountain and -1c here it has been 1c all day and raining and sleeting....... what has caused this....... hopefully its going to snow better tomorrow one last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31?&search=dublin&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

I'm feeling optimistic. BBC are giving Dublin heavy snow for tomorrow :D:D

I've a feeling the BBC are only teasing us with their talk of heavy snow...but here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

would that mean skool is off tommorow in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

owenc wrote: »
    so is tomorrow are last chance for snow yea???? why has it happnened that this snow fell as sleet.... btw we were so close here to snow it was snowing on the mountain and -1c here it has been 1c all day and raining and sleeting....... what has caused this....... hopefully its going to snow better tomorrow one last time!

It's only January lol. Wait till you see the snow in February :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

doccy wrote: »
    It's only January lol. Wait till you see the snow in February :eek:

Ahh will you stop...the thought of more to follow is sending me all of a quiver :p

• Advertisement

I've a feeling the BBC are only teasing us with their talk of heavy snow...but here's hoping.

I'll have less of that type of talk thank you very much. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Just light snow flurries here now, looks like a little bit more snow to come before it clears up for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

The Big Freeze really has become The Big Thaw.

All systems go for a return to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Love the BBC forecast. Heavy snow yet a min. temp of 2C which is bare marginal for snowfall. Ingenious.

The Big Freeze really has become The Big Thaw.

All systems go for a return to normality.

Oh don't depress us anymore why would anyone want to go back to a green rainy mush.......:mad: this cold spell isnt severe at all below 0c maxes and -10c mins isnt sever -10c maxes and -20c mins with a 2 foot of snow is severe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Fairly mild down here 6C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

For those who said Cork would be thawed out by last night,I can confirm that anywhere above 200ft is still frozen solid and under 3 inches of snow
    In fact wherever hasn't been gritted has some snow
    So basically no thaw today sofar and now getting dark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Oh don't depress us anymore why would anyone want to go back to a green rainy mush.......:mad: this cold spell isnt severe at all below 0c maxes and -10c mins isnt sever -10c maxes and -20c mins with a 2 foot of snow is severe!

That will never happen in Ireland. This cold spell is about as severe as it will ever get, plus the Atlantic will always have a strong say as to whether or not we get snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I'd like ground temperatures to rise, cattle, sheep, horses, birds and other wildlife cannot live on the snow.

Bring back the green, green, grass of home.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    That will never happen in Ireland. This cold spell is about as severe as it will ever get, plus the Atlantic will always have a strong say as to whether or not we get snow.

yea well northeners could get close to that one night i got down to -13c and my max was -5c. todays max was 1.6c and min was 0.4c..... why isnt it snowing anyway it was ment to be snowing not even sleeting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

nifheorais wrote: »
    My family are asking for their mother to return to motherly duties."Your holidays are over, get off the computer, feed us, clothe us,give us attention"!
    Thanks to all who gave their forecasts and all who gave me a laugh:D;);)
    Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    Mine too. Im ignoring them!

...must be catching :D as mine are doing that as well....

I've sent them all out to play (and Mr Chicken Run too) and I'm having half an hour's peace in front of the fire.
    I like the way the snow is still covering all the weeds on my veg plot - don't feel half so guilty for not digging them up now.
    Still pretty clear skies here, small bit of cloud to the south of me, should be a nice sunset though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Meh, that's reality for you.

For those who said Cork would be thawed out by last night,I can confirm that anywhere above 200ft is still frozen solid and under 3 inches of snow
    In fact wherever hasn't been gritted has some snow
    So basically no thaw today sofar and now getting dark
    More utter rubbish.
    No thaw indeed.
    I was speaking to someone down there today that told me more than half the snow was gone and that there was a slushy mess.
    Thats a thaw.
    No thaw means exactly the same amount of snow as yesterday.

Why do you feel you have to exaggerate everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Graces7 wrote: »
    The postman has only just passed and going very slowly; usually he is here before 9 am.

Must be bad out there still on the road:(

Does he always ring twice Graces??? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Beginning to get cold around here,Road aren't going to be good tomorrow!

Checking Irish weather I'm at about 1c and it's still light here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Hasent stopped snowing with me since 9:30 this morning. The town is clear though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

More utter rubbish.
    No thaw indeed.
    I was speaking to someone down there today that told me more than half the snow was gone and that there was a slushy mess.
    Thats a thaw.

Depends what part of cork he said above 200 ft
    where I am in kerry around 500 to 600 feet there is snow on the ground fields sence dec 20th when it rained a few miles down the road it snowed here we still have 4 inchs of snow all roads covered and a 5 foot iceacle hanging of the back of the house even when it does thaw we will have ice and some snow tell febuary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

More utter rubbish.
    No thaw indeed.
    Thats a thaw.

Anyone else here from Cork would like to say what it's like this evening above 200ft (small hilly areas)?..........which means 70% of Cork as it's a very hilly City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

its starting to get cold in the southside, i think snow may be on it's way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Quite a thaw on here. Still huge amounts of snow, its all relative i suppose.
    Above about 300 metres there doesn't appear to be any thaw yet. There are massive amounts of snow on the mountains, let hope there isnt a rapid temperature rise or flooding could be a real issue downstream.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement