Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

WC - so that means still a fairly high chance of more snow for us in the East? (at least, thats how I'm reading the charts - I'm useless lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Min wrote: »
    Weathercheck, inland south east according to those charts to get the most snow tomorrow?

There was a major downgrade in the snow so i would expect it to accelerate, you may get some passing snow but will turn to rain quickly according to latest guidance, the models this morning and yesterday evening would have given you alot of snow but not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

WC - so that means still a fairly high chance of more snow for us in the East? (at least, thats how I'm reading the charts - I'm useless lol)

See my other post, much less chance than there was yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Min wrote: »
    Snowing a bit here, about a half foot of snow on the ground, slight thaw but no different from last night, slight thaw but still near 2 inches of snow fell.
    Same here. It is still snowing a bit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If it snows, it will be transitional snow. Even if it manages to stick, it will be slushy and will get washed away very quickly as any snow will turn to rain (for the majority).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

homolumo wrote: »
    just went out for a gander round the house and fields and despite the rain the snow is still not shifting. I imagine it has more or less shifted in Waterford City but unless we get a major thaw then everywhere round here will be lethal tomorrow morning.

City is deadly, footpaths are ice rink. Stay well clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Update on road conditions in West Limerick.

Temp is slightly above freezing and the sun is attempting to make an appearance. Traffic has well compacted the snow now and driving conditions are worsening. Earlier this morning was quite ok with appropriate caution but its starting to get slippy out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

See my other post, much less chance than there was yesterday!

I'm hoping all these models are wrong! I want more snow dammit!

I won't be satisfied until I have at least one snow day off work! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Very few people from up north posting on here.

Anyway, snowing hard where I am in Monaghan atm. That'll likely jinx it, it'll be rain in 5 mins. Small flakes but ground is almost covered again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

WC , the low thats approaching is causing terrible headaches for the models regarding position,so i would ignore that latest output for now until its more certain where its really headed.

Its a nasty little one and could surprise alot of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

102100.JPG
    102101.JPG
    102102.JPG
    102103.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

redsunset wrote: »
    WC , the low thats approaching is causing terrible headaches for the models regarding position,so i would ignore that latest output for now until its more certain where its really headed.

Its a nasty little one and could surprise alot of us
    that low is also going to deepen rapidly later this eve. With such marginal conditions is it not possible for the intense nature of the precip to further increase chances of snow?

For what it's worth the monday morn outputs have always been somewhat different to the sunday night and monday PM runs. I agree with Red about waiting until the next output.

the below gives a great overview of this low's path. It is a monster
    http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Cian92 wrote: »
    does anybody know why the BBC are contradicting Met Eireann for Tuesdays forecast? ME are going with rain. BBC with snow.

I'd believe BBC. Met Eireann got it horribly wrong yesterday whereas BBC called it right

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

Sleet now turned to snow in Dungannon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

djhaxman wrote: »
    Very few people from up north posting on here.

Anyway, snowing hard where I am in Monaghan atm. That'll likely jinx it, it'll be rain in 5 mins. Small flakes but ground is almost covered again.

Snowing in Donegal now 2 hours but not accumulating to much on the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Rain in Waterford.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What's going on in this country! Sherkin Island reporting snow shower and 0c ath 1100. Mad! :pac:

Drizzly horrible day here. 1.9c DP 1.9c

The other thing that's driving me mad is that I am still glued to this forum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

been snowing in monaghan town since 7am and still goign strong good 2 inches and roads are mess as they werent gritted last nite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Just speaking to someone from a local authority there who said the situation on our roads tonight will be precarious. Any rain/sleet on already frozen surfaces will lead to a xmas day/freezing rain scenario. Take care folks.

ps...in sports news the FAI have just asked the African Football Association if they can take Togo's spot in the African Nations Cup :p

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If it snows, it will be transitional snow. Even if it manages to stick, it will be slushy and will get washed away very quickly as any snow will turn to rain (for the majority).
    Looking at the wind direction and the source and speed of the feed,I'd say transitional above a thousand feet asl like Xmas day to be honest.
    When people are talking about a thaw flood,it's the snow on high ground and theres tonnes of it melting and reaching the streams and rivers that will be the problem.

I don't think theres going to be much of a thaw on the top of lugnaquilla though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

There was a major downgrade in the snow so i would expect it to accelerate, you may get some passing snow but will turn to rain quickly according to latest guidance, the models this morning and yesterday evening would have given you alot of snow but not anymore.

Thats ok we have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    that low is also going to deepen rapidly later this eve. With such marginal conditions is it not possible for the intense nature of the precip to further increase chances of snow?

For what it's worth the monday morn outputs have always been somewhat different to the sunday night and monday PM runs. I agree with Red about waiting until the next output.

the below gives a great overview of this low's path. It is a monster
    http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

so that means that it could turn to snow or it could just be rain.
    the 50.50 chance and depending on the luck of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tcmouse

Is the country gone sick, here we are recovering from the bigest freeze in over 30 years causing millions and all some people are worried about is making snowmen. Get a grip

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tcmouse wrote: »
    Is the country gone sick, here we are recovering from the bigest freeze in over 30 years causing millions and all some people are worried about is making snowmen. Get a grip

if you dont have anything productive to say, dont say anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Somethings in life are more important, and a snowman with two prosthetic arms just looks stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

temp dropped off here again a small bit 1.6/-0.1

giveing temp's of 1/2c in the midland's and higher's -5 from wicklow north tomorrow,mmmmm maybe one last throw of the dice.

Rtavn3017.png

Rtavn302.png

Rtavn304.png

wont last long even if it does snow,look at the temp's comeing in behind the precip :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

And you waited so long to tell us that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing heavy in donegal the past 2 hours ,not lieing though, the snow is beginning to be washed away but under it is very very thick ice everywhere!, once the snow goes its gona be a good week before this ice melts away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ellieh1 wrote: »
    We just arrived back from a holiday late tonight and unfortunately she was sound asleep in the car by the time we got home

Ah damn thats not good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Pangea wrote: »
    Snowing heavy in donegal the past 2 hours ,not lieing though,

I believe you:D

Advertisement