Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Min wrote: »
    Very heavy snow here about 6 miles north of Kilkenny city, the car bonnet which had its own avalanche this morning is again white.

Looking at the radar in animation, that stuff is moving very slowly, could get a lot of snow still today.
    heavy showers now moving into Waterford and South Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

all back on the rollercoaster....scream if you wanna go faster...:D

Lolling:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Very heavy snow here about 6 miles north of Kilkenny city, the car bonnet which had its own avalanche this morning is again white.

Looking at the radar in animation, that stuff is moving very slowly, could get a lot of snow still today.

Good to see someone getting snow today. It gone too quiet around these part for my liking! I'm willing this week away for the potential at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

a very slow thaw here in Waterford county. won't be gone by sun down so its gonna freeze.

I think O'Keeffe made the right decision wrt the schools today. For once he and the government made a decisive decision last Fri but this time on the wrong thing. They should have realised (or have been advised by ME) that the snow may not materialise to the amount predicted and in such circumstances given the schools a choice whether to open or not.

Who was most accurate in their forecasting oover the last week? Was it MT,Weathercheck, NE, Sky, BBC etc I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    heavy showers now moving into Waterford and South Tipp

hardly more snow for Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Quite heavy snow falling now, bit of a contradiction here, but it is sticking yet there is a slight thaw continuing.

Very heavy sleet here, massive thaw at the moment.

Time to get rid of himself below, methinks:D

malman wrote: »

If you look at the picture of the sea wash, it's actually forming the West coast of Ireland from Cork as far as Donegal!! Could be an omen! :D

6815.755.1119.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No staying power, Waterford and Dublin snow!.

Now up here in Donegal, once it comes down, it stays and stays and stays and stays.

Many decades ago, I saw i think it was a Star Trek episode? Someone was homesick for Earth, so they made him sit and watch filsm of green grass, trees etc etc etc until he was .... cured.

I have seen too many snow photos for the while ;)

Show me flowers and green leaves swaying in summer breezes.. :) Hot sun shining from a bright sky..

Its back to normal here in Wexford, green grass now again, i miss looking out at my blanket of snow!!![/quote]

Graces7 wrote: »

Show me flowers and green leaves swaying in summer breezes.. :) Hot sun shining from a bright sky..
    [/quote]

here you go Grace. Beautiful Donegal in the summer
    donegal2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

a couple of mine taken just now (sorry Graces7)

Over Maghera
    wwhibo.jpg

down the driveway
    2vjpqg6.jpg

snowdrops1232947393.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHvtaNGaljMOqhj82eJsRcb-L3Zbg:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

nifheorais wrote: »
    snowdrops1232947393.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHvtaNGaljMOqhj82eJsRcb-L3Zbg:D

Best of both :)

Sleeting away here atm, 1.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Just like to say thanks to all the forecasters for their invaluable input over the last 4 weeks. It's kept me glued to my laptop in anticipation...:pac:

Here's hoping for a bit more before the winters out...:D

Defcol wrote: »
    Just like to say thanks to all the forecasters for their invaluable input over the last 4 weeks. It's kept me glued to my laptop in anticipation...:pac:

Here's hoping for a bit more before the winters out...:D

My family are asking for their mother to return to motherly duties."Your holidays are over, get off the computer, feed us, clothe us,give us attention"!
    Thanks to all who gave their forecasts and all who gave me a laugh:D;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

heavy snow now, roads on high ground white, car tracks disappering after 5 mins,
    been snowing hard for an hour,
    not sticking at lower ground.
    and the highest point has seen snow for over 12 hours non stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

barley made it onto the N25 this morning halfways between dungarvan and youghal at kielys cross we had between 4 and 6 inches of snow yesterday. the N25 was in some mess when i eventually got onto it completely covered in snow just a few tracks were clear where the traffic was took some pictures of the mess with my mobile but unable to put them on to this mini laptop i will put them up later.

in dungarvan at the moment there is a big thaw in here.

was watching sky weather this morning very conflicting reports for the south of ireland one forecaster predicted more snow today with max temperatures of +1c and the other predicted rain for today and tomorrow with temperatures of +3or4c. and maybe more snow on wedensday.

one thing i can say is it deffinatly feels more than +4c here in dungarvan atm

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

nifheorais wrote: »
    My family are asking for their mother to return to motherly duties."Your holidays are over, get off the computer, feed us, clothe us,give us attention"!

Mine too. Im ignoring them!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Hi All,

Snow still lying on the ground here. This is of course a thaw. One thing though, temperature here has dropped from 3.4c to 2.2c in the last 15 minutes. Is there something going on? Cloady and foggy all day BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

GavinH wrote: »
    Hi All,

Snow still lying on the ground here. This is of course a thaw. One thing though, temperature here has dropped from 3.4c to 2.2c in the last 15 minutes. Is there something going on? Cloady and foggy all day BTW.

Where about are you? I'm just outside Cork city and its blue skies and alls thats left is patches of snow & slush:( Mr Snowman is still hanging there though! Must find my camera and take a picture of how he looks now. Just one day of snow, so disappointed, everyone had great fun yesterday and now everyone's miserable again:(

• Advertisement

Weather Alert

Cold tonight with frost and some icy patches. The patchy sleet and snow over Ulster dying out later also.
    Very windy later tonight and tomorrow, with heavy rain pushing up from the southwest during the day, preceded by sleet and snow for a time.
    Some flooding likely, from heavy rain and snow melt, with Munster and parts of Leinster most at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

There's been a thaw here in Waterford and looking out the back I've noticed there's big blocks of ice scattered around and in the gutters, looks like there's been the world biggest hailstorm. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

As the snow starts to melt away I took a few more photo..

8269890178E04062B518AC82EAD569E9-800.jpg

EE32AB652ACC41EEB4BAB1B8B57D48DF-800.jpg

F2CAE419D23C4F18AA8A1020DFC06EF0-800.jpg

553880F57A634462B25D2EB60D265641-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Weather Alert

Cold tonight with frost and some icy patches. The patchy sleet and snow over Ulster dying out later also.
    Very windy later tonight and tomorrow, with heavy rain pushing up from the southwest during the day, preceded by sleet and snow for a time.
    Some flooding likely, from heavy rain and snow melt, with Munster and parts of Leinster most at risk.

WolfeIRE I've started a new thread for tomorrow's rain/wind/sleet/snow(?) event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

the education minister must feel like a right ass now telling all the schools to close untill thursday and no telling them to open again.big thaw on here wind chill tho

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

lindtee wrote: »
    Where about are you? I'm just outside Cork city and its blue skies and alls thats left is patches of snow & slush:( Mr Snowman is still hanging there though! Must find my camera and take a picture of how he looks now. Just one day of snow, so disappointed, everyone had great fun yesterday and now everyone's miserable again:(

I am half way between Ballincollig and Macroom. Fog hasn't lifted all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

still snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

As the thaw continues it is quite pleasant out ... footpaths are still slippery though.

will probably be gone by midnight if temps keep rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

still snowing.

blow some this way :D:D:D

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    the education minister must feel like a right ass now telling all the schools to close untill thursday and no telling them to open again.big thaw on here wind chill tho

Yeah, sure it's still panto season isn't it...... The schools are closed.....Oh no they're not........oh yes they are.......oh no they're not

I feel ashamed to be Irish sometimes

Advertisement