Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    Oh don't depress us anymore why would anyone want to go back to a green rainy mush.......:mad: this cold spell isnt severe at all below 0c maxes and -10c mins isnt sever -10c maxes and -20c mins with a 2 foot of snow is severe!

January temps are currently close to 7.0c below normal across Ireland. That is pretty severe, even by historic winter standards. Ok, snow was not much of a feature overall except in the NW but in terms of sustained cold, we have not done to bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

took a walk up the ballyhouras today with the missus and the dogs.3 inches of frozen snow on the forest tracks but a definite thaw off track where the sun hit the snow.It was beautiful up there,crisp clean air and we followed deer tracks for over a mile and found that they were coming down do drink from a waterhole.Did'nt see any of the buggers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

AJ STYLES wrote: »
    its starting to get cold in the southside, i think snow may be on it's way

Southside of where?Ireland?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Anyone else here from Cork would like to say what it's like this evening above 200ft (small hilly areas)?..........which means 70% of Cork as it's a very hilly City

I still have a lot of snow, however there was a definate thaw today. Temp today went up to 3.4c, now back down at 0.6c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Not much of a thaw here at all today. 95% of snow still lying. Must have been the fog that stopped the melt.
    temp went up to around 3c at peak today. 0c now and falling.

Another fun day in the snow. wheeeee!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Anyone else here from Cork would like to say what it's like this evening above 200ft (small hilly areas)?..........which means 70% of Cork as it's a very hilly City
    I'm living here in the North West of County Cork in the Kanturk area in a hilly area and the roads here are still full of snow and there has been a fog down all day and now it's getting dark and looks like it's going to freeze for the night. I couldn't make work today,the roads were treacherous this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

For those who said Cork would be thawed out by last night,I can confirm that anywhere above 200ft is still frozen solid and under 3 inches of snow
    In fact wherever hasn't been gritted has some snow
    So basically no thaw today sofar and now getting dark

Yet again, more exaggeration from you.

Let's have a look at the latest Met Eireann reports:

Cork Airport (Which is at altitude) - 2C - That's more than sufficient to support a thaw of snow. Are you honestly telling me that the snow that fell has not become heavy, compacted and has not began to thaw & remains powdery and fresh with an Easterly wind, positive Dewpoints and a Temperature of 2C?

I'v heard reports today of areas at over 500 Feet in a decent enough thaw. Granted there is still a lot of lying snow, but there is most definitely a thaw ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

dartbhoy wrote: »
    I'm living here in the North West of County Cork in the Kanturk area in a hilly area and the roads here are still full of snow and there has been a fog down all day and now it's getting dark and looks like it's going to freeze for the night. I couldn't make work today,the roads were treacherous this morning.

well i'm near mallow and not on high ground. Certainly there was a bit of a thaw today but still a lot of lying snow. Will be all gone in a few hours - glad to get rid of the slush which looks awful. was surprised that the snow has lasted so long but the fog prevented the sun from melting it for a lot of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

This is become a thaw in my side...a thawny subject for some.

sorry couldn't resist...the voices made me do it. :D

Well its not thawing everywhere. Temp was at 3c for a short time today only, 1.5 or so for most of the day. i`m at about 400ft asl. No thaw to speak of at all. Cork airport is near enough to the coast too, so its going to be a bit milder than more central areas.

Snowaddict wrote: »

Cork Airport (Which is at altitude) - 2C - That's more than sufficient to support a thaw of snow. Are you honestly telling me that the snow that fell has not become heavy, compacted and has not began to thaw & remains powdery and fresh with an Easterly wind, positive Dewpoints and a Temperature of 2C?

I'v heard reports today of areas at over 500 Feet in a decent enough thaw. Granted there is still a lot of lying snow, but there is most definitely a thaw ongoing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Thanks guys I think we can summarise from the above that there has been a small thaw but most sheltered or hilly areas have seen no thaw
    In other words either the sun has thawed it or no thaw i.e no significant rise in temp.
    Of course the ground is so deeply frozen that we will need temps of over 6/7 for a day or two to start having any effect on soil temps

BB, i would prefer if you didn't throw personal jibes at me.
    As wc said last night this forum is for all points of view!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I'm near Cork City (in a hilly village!) and its a nasty sludgy/slushy/snowy mess out there. Definite thaw, snowman shrunk by 2-3 foot since this morning. Still cold out there and a lot of the compacted slush/snow has frozen solid at this stage. Don't know about the roads here as I've stayed put all day but the road in my estate seems pretty dangerous at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Indeed, my max today was 2.1°C, i have gargantuan amounts of snow still but the snow is melting no question of it (I'm at a little over 200 metres and up to around 260 metres there was definite signs of a thaw everywhere). It only stopped snowing heavily around 13:00 or so today as well, long after Cork i would surmise.
    If there is still light powdery stuff in Cork I'll eat my hat because there sure as heck aint any here below around 300 metres.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Did you hear that Cork airport was shut until 2pm today even with snowploughing going on??
    Did you hear that all the Northside city bus routes have been curtailed or cancelled upto 4pm today.The reason they are running now is the council gritted the bus routes this afternoon

Do you honestly think the kept the airport shut longer than was needed?
    And yes the airport is 500ft up along with a good portion of cork

Supercell wrote: »
    If there is still light powdery stuff in Cork I'll eat my hat because there sure as heck aint any here below around 300 metres.

Start eating so. Plenty of it here.

I meant powder ye dont sniff :P :pac:
    Ah , easy to tell the folks from the snow desert, wild exaggeration when they get any.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

And most of east cork has it
    I'm in hilly glanmire

Supercell wrote: »
    I meant powder ye dont sniff :P :pac:
    Ah , easy to tell the folks from the snow desert, wild exaggeration when they get any.

Yes and easy to tell the 'what's going on in my backyard is happening everywhere' brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Folks, while I have lots of snow on the ground, and indeed made 2 more snowmen today. It is not of the powdery variety, it is wetter and compact, its still at least 3 inchs deep. I certainly saw a thaw today.

5 mins ago. 0c Temp

img2033x.jpg

img2035ka.jpg

img2031m.jpgimg2035ka.jpg

• Advertisement

The airport was closed until this time, not because of remaining powdery snowfall on the runway, but because of melting snowfall that had also turned to slush. Airplanes cannot operate if there is any contamination of the runway surface, as it affects braking action. Cork airport is also ill prepared for snowfalls due to their rarity there.

Bus services have been cancelled all across the country because of severe ice and slush accumulation over the past few weeks, let alone because of slushy remaining snow that has compacted.

Snow might be still be lying, but regardless of what you say, it most certainly has thawed to an extent today & has compacted. Suggesting anything to the contrary is only foolish.
    Did you hear that Cork airport was shut until 2pm today even with snowploughing going on??
    Did you hear that all the Northside city bus routes have been curtailed or cancelled upto 4pm today.The reason they are running now is the council gritted the bus routes this afternoon

Do you honestly think the kept the airport shut longer than was needed?
    And yes the airport is 500ft up along with a good portion of cork

As wc said last night this forum is for all points of view!
    And facts.
    Don't forget it's about facts too.
    Cork airport at altitude got to 3c peak today which would translate to 4.5 or 5c in urban parts of the city.
    I can understand little thaw where there was fog but I believe that what you said earlier about there being no thaw in cork to be utter nonsense.
    If you said you still had snow cover and didn't exaggerate about the lack of thaw,then I might have some time for your posts.
    End of.

It was foggy for most of the day around this area.
    Must be why we still have 95% of the snow lying.
    And facts.
    Don't forget it's about facts too.
    Cork airport at altitude got to 3c peak today which would translate to 4.5 or 5c in urban parts of the city.
    I can understand little thaw where there was fog but I believe that what you said earlier about there being no thaw in cork to be utter nonsense.
    If you said you still had snow cover and didn't exaggerate about the lack of thaw,then I might have some time for your posts.
    End of.

Yes and easy to tell the 'what's going on in my backyard is happening everywhere' brigade

Yeah, I suppose it is. Like the impending blizzards that will happening nationwide :rolleyes:

Thanks to GavinH for the straight forward commentary on what the situation with lying snow is.

Yeah, I suppose it is. Like the impending blizzards that will happening nationwide :rolleyes:

Thanks to GavinH for the straight forward commentary on what the situation with lying snow is.

GavinH is down closer to Cork city.
    North cork is another story, especially hilly areas.
    Do you know how big Cork County is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

"ahem"

Well, enjoy your magical snow Corkonians :D , its always nice to get some of the sneachta (for the first week or so anyhow!).

Ok, for the laugh let's have a competition between me, sa and bb to forecast tomorrows weather? You on for it, i.e what areas if any will see snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Around an hour ago it was -0.5C, snow is still here, but thawing.

• Advertisement

It was foggy for most of the day around this area.
    Must be why we still have 95% of the snow lying.
    Snow is a gas substance (gas as in funny!).
    It shrivels.
    I'll bet you had more depth last night though -that snow you posted there looks thawed even though it has maintained it's cover.
    Once you go outside of a town,a thaw is always slower especially as you move inland.
    I'd get the sled out as it will be all gone tomorrow when it rains heavy.

Advertisement