Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Tcmouse wrote: »
    Is the country gone sick, here we are recovering from the bigest freeze in over 30 years causing millions and all some people are worried about is making snowmen. Get a grip

Psychologically speaking worrying about making snowmen is a lot more healthy for the human mind than worrying about most other things that they can't change... a bit of light hearted distraction from the more mundane misery of everyday life that people often worry about - I haven't heard mention of the recession or the winner of X Factor in weeks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Showers moving right up through Kilkenny at present, a bit of a streamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    ps...in sports news the FAI have just asked the African Football Association if they can take Togo's spot in the African Nations Cup :p

lol When someone takes a 'shot' at Shay Given we better pray it's with a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

snow ghost wrote: »
    lol When someone takes a 'shot' at Shay Given we better pray it's with a ball.
    The other one going around is: I bet Adebayor didn’t run the full length of the bus to celebrate in front of those gunners.

Temp here is -0.5c. Overcast. No thaw. Massive snowman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wicklowgirl

Looking at the wind direction and the source and speed of the feed,I'd say transitional above a thousand feet asl like Xmas day to be honest.
    When people are talking about a thaw flood,it's the snow on high ground and theres tonnes of it melting and reaching the streams and rivers that will be the problem.

I don't think theres going to be much of a thaw on the top of lugnaquilla though.

Agreed, Lug will prob have it for a long time! Considering the Wicklow Gap is getting worse with drifts can only imagine what Lug is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

shiibata wrote: »
    I believe you:D

i don't believe you! sure everyone knows you only get snow down in cork and waterford after yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

is the snow definitely finished here now ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The other one going around is: I bet Adebayor didn’t run the full length of the bus to celebrate in front of those gunners.

Temp here is -0.5c. Overcast. No thaw. Massive snowman!

Thaw may be on the way...Sun is out here!

New BBC video forecast maintains tomorrow's snow threat for midlands, east and North
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

we could be getrting it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Thow continues here. sunny areas returning to green while shaded area still have thick coat of snow and slush.

[FONT=&quot]Minister O’Keeffe to allow schools to reopen tomorrow[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Arising from an update on the weather, the Minister for Education and Science, Batt O’Keeffe TD, has decided that the normal arrangements whereby schools decide to open or close based on local circumstances should be re-instated. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]This means that schools in a position to open tomorrow [Tuesday] should do so.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Minister O’Keeffe took his decision based on weather advice given to this morning’s meeting of the Government’s emergency planning group and the unexpected rise in temperatures that has occurred in parts of the country.[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

[FONT=&quot]Minister O’Keeffe to allow schools to reopen tomorrow[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Arising from an update on the weather, the Minister for Education and Science, Batt O’Keeffe TD, has decided that the normal arrangements whereby schools decide to open or close based on local circumstances should be re-instated. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]This means that schools in a position to open tomorrow [Tuesday] should do so.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Minister O’Keeffe took his decision based on weather advice given to this morning’s meeting of the Government’s emergency planning group and the unexpected rise in temperatures that has occurred in parts of the country.[/FONT]

I think he is being a bit silly. inaccessibility is not the only reason schools should stay shut. they need to be checked for burst pipes and heating.

also many homes are without water

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Still overcast and grey skies here in Thurles : very slight thaw but the snow is still lying deep on the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I think he is being a bit silly. inaccessibility is not the only reason schools should stay shut. they need to be checked for burst pipes and heating.

In fairness, all he's saying is that they're 'allowed' open, but the decision is still up to the individual school based on their own circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That sounds like a large slice of begrudgery.

No-one here is causing or has caused the weather.

Many are really enjoying it; especially kids, both young and not so young;)

Good for them.

Simply pleasure in what is

And I speak as one who has been stranded up here nearly 4 weeks and is longing for a thaw.

Yet who also has found deep joy and beauty in it all.

Troll, be gone! Let others enjoy what will soon pass ( I HOPE!!!;))

Tcmouse wrote: »
    Is the country gone sick, here we are recovering from the bigest freeze in over 30 years causing millions and all some people are worried about is making snowmen. Get a grip

minus 0.5c here. thermometer is five foot off the ground but the lying snow is no doubt keeping the temps down. Still overcast as you can see in this pic

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Really, I thought the decision to close all schools in the country was 100% idiotic. Particularly making that decision on the Friday to include the following Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.... to me that seemed nuts. Imo School closures should be decided on a case by case basis by the school. or at very least on a provincial basis.
    Of course some schools iwll stay closed, due to weather/ice/pipes etc, but there is not and never has been any reason for my kids school to close. Plus we really need to make up lost time as we did have to close for a full week during the floods. The weather we had is Galway was a world away for what was experienced in Dublin.

Off topic rant over!
    Sad to report that the sun is out here in Galway, temp is 2 degrees and garden is well and truly thawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Goodbye snow. Goodbye immaturity.

Rained all night here. Any snow is gone and it can stay gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

minus 0.5c here. thermometer is five foot off the ground but the lying snow is no doubt keeping the temps down. Still overcast as you can see in this pic

Nice pic Wolfe. Only a small bit of snow lying here but heavily overcast and damp. 1.6c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 roadsafety.ie

56529623-811496c023a41743152f18fe5be5774b.4b4b1c03-scaled.jpg

56529687-a587918e7cafef6376f4d990b40102e6.4b4b1cc7-scaled.jpg

56529787-b68223e020c6ac4cc4e4ebbf08cafdd8.4b4b1cea-scaled.jpg

56529870-17a9d050524c49cce05d96190e2fbe7f.4b4b1d21-scaled.jpg

56530010.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1263214884&Signature=TaIH2eOdnqFgaiXuOV2a%2Fbtw05c%3D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

As much as i love snow i am now glad it's gone. I had my head wrecked watching the met radar looking for the next shower, only to be disappointed when nothing appeared. I have been mad with jealously reading about other peoples snow.

Now it's gone i can get back to normal life and no longer visit here very 5 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

As much as i love snow i am now glad it's gone. I had my head wrecked watching the met radar looking for the next shower, only to be disappointed when nothing appeared. I have been mad with jealously reading about other peoples snow.

Now it's gone i can get back to normal life and no longer visit here very 5 minutes!

+1 lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

4.4C here and climbing all morning, dripping everywhere from the snow melting. Cloudy, and the snowman out front is looking a bit sad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Its going to be a long winter yet . . . . . . I feel your pain.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

ch750536 wrote: »
    102100.JPG
    102101.JPG
    102102.JPG
    102103.JPG

poor kid looks like he wants that truck you will have to get the kango hammer out from feale vally:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

here is some pics of snow in monaghan town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Snow still falling here, heavy at times.
    Temp 1.4 all morning, Roads are terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 roadsafety.ie

Definitely not as cold as it was. Not quite thawing yet but prob will start soon. Still over a foot of snow none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

more cold weather in store for europe it seems...snow seems to be all but gone here in dublin though...

Advertisement