Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wicklowgirl

Supercell wrote: »
    Beyond a joke, where is this stuff coming from?, +SN , had enough, enough already. I really hope the precip tomorrow is not more of this.

Is it still snowing with you?? It's stopped here in Rathdrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

This morning is a prime example of why I hate this slush type snow. All it did was melt any of the superb, magical frostiness and proper lying snow last night. Totally rank out there everything dripping and any lying snow looking as insipid as wet toilet paper. Feels even colder than the last few days despite a relatively high temp of 0.4c currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Morning all.

An incredible sight here this morning. Was snowing up until an hour ago ending a 20 hour spell of snow. There was around 3 inches lying before going to bed at midnight. A further 2 inches fell overnight. Trees look weighed down by the snow, telephone line on the main road has snapped, esb line is moving violently (even though there is only a light breeze. so strange), power as been on and off all night. Have not seen snow like this for a long long time. I fear Clare may experience renewed flooding after this. I hope the thaw is gradual as forecast. Anything more sudden would be horrendous for areas affected by flooding in November

Temp is -0.5c. Overcast with few flakes still falling.

Hope you are all safe and well.

Wolfe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

This time yesterday we were on post no. 560 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I know the feeling; been stranded up here nearly 4 weeks now; the thought of freedom is delicious, but snowing again now.
    arac wrote: »
    so much snow here in mallow, had a burst pipe yesterday, plumber couldn't call on account of not being able to get out of his own door...live on a secondary road in the country, the snow is no compacted, you would need a snow plough or some other contraption to make the road passable...snowed in and not really loving it as feel a bit claustraphobic and keep wondering what other thing will go wrong in the house :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MammyNotSpammy

BBC weather is showing heavy snow for tomorrow night for Dublin, they have been right so far. Metcheck shows it falling as rain though.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Rain here; now sleety snow..

Delicious thoughts of... freedom...

As leahyl and others would say

WOOOOHOOOO!

Can see the road through the ice now and the water is back here..

ALLELUIA

By the way, a big word of thanks to all of you for your reports during the last few weeks. I am a newbie to boards and have really enjoyed it. The expertise here is first class and invariably on the money. You know who you are so congrats to you. Boards.ie's weather forum really took on a life of its own these last few weeks.

Rain, snow or shine I am sticking around. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Plenty of snowing lying in waterford city this morning, temp around 1c so thaw is very slow inspite of intermitten sleety stuff. Hills must be hammered with snow. Roads/footpaths and car parks are all treacherous. Take it slow even if it looks ok. Dont forget the frozen ground that all this fell on so plenty of ice lying under slush on surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Oh what a morning of anti-joy !!

Woke up and looked out the window, place still pretty white, I thought "This looks ok"

Got outside the estate and pure slush, and bloody slippy too !

Got into Dublin and its worse, lethal on the footpaths so please take care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    By the way, a big word of thanks to all of you for your reports during the last few weeks. I am a newbie to boards and have really enjoyed it. The expertise here is first class and invariably on the money. You know who you are so congrats to you. Boards.ie's weather forum really took on a life of its own these last few weeks.

+1

Have really enjoyed reading all the opinions and have learned stuff !!! :D

I shall be sticking around to grumble about the weather for some time to come !! lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

BBC weather is showing heavy snow for tomorrow night for Dublin, they have been right so far. Metcheck shows it falling as rain though.:confused:
    Not a snowballs chance in hell! A south easterly will not bring snow.
    It has to be cold for it to snow and the cold spell is over.
    10-12c by Saturday and the daffodils will be popping up before you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

This airmass satellite image clearly shows the dividing of colder air.
    Note the boy in the atlantic south west of us thats approaching.

2mna4YI2izsxE

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

rain rain rain thats all we have.
    but snowing in the hills

Potential for snowfall tomorrow. Some charts for tomorrow. They indicate snow for the east and north. Most also suggest the possibility of snowfall at higher level (300m+) in Connaught and Munster. Any snow in a line south of Galway to Dublin should turn back to rain/sleet quickly. North of this, much of the precip will be concentrated in the North East.

I think MT said it earlier, the situation is marginal for the high ground and the east/north in terms of seeing snow. The models do generally agree that there is a significant risk of prolonged snow in the said areas but there is a fine line wbetween that and the precip being sleet/rain. What is more certain is that the country will see warmer temps from tonight (south west) and gradually everywhere by Friday.

NAE
    Precip
    Uppers

CMC
    Uppers

UKMO
    Precip
    Uppers

NOGAPS
    Uppers

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Saying on BBC Website lowest temperatures of the cold snap for Britain recorded last night and more snow on the way...we got rain!!!

Them damn brits getting all the good stuff whilst we get the S**t...(said with tongue firmly in cheek before you get twitchy fingers...lol...kind of wish I lived back in Blighty these past few weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Potential for snowfall tomorrow. Some charts for tomorrow. They indicate snow for the east and north. Most also suggest the possibility of snowfall at higher level (300m+) in Connaught and Munster. Any snow in a line south of Galway to Dublin should turn back to rain/sleet quickly. North of this, much of the precip will be concentrated in the North East.

I think MT said it earlier, the situation is marginal for the high ground and the east/north in terms of seeing snow. The models do generally agree that there is a significant risk of prolonged snow in the said areas but there is a fine line wbetween that and the precip being sleet/rain. What is more certain is that the country will see warmer temps from tonight (south west) and gradually everywhere by Friday.

NAE
    Precip
    Uppers

CMC
    Uppers

UKMO
    Precip
    Uppers

NOGAPS
    Uppers

with rain (at best sleet) in the east today and tomorrows front also coming from the south, what is making the front tomorrow have a greater liklihood of snow in east?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Yes Wolfe i agree the expertise and analysis here was first class, i have really enjoyed it reading the reports around the country and for anyone interested it still snowing here and the roads are brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Raining here now, everything turning to slush, and I want to second other members thoughts on this brilliant weather forum, it's been great as it was last winter, I just want to say thanks to everyone who posted and kept everyone up to date as to what was happening all over the country and Cork. Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

V. light snow falling here in Mullingar now.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Supercell wrote: »
    Beyond a joke, where is this stuff coming from?, +SN , had enough, enough already. I really hope the precip tomorrow is not more of this.
    ;)
    Be careful what you wish for is htting you big time :)

inabina wrote: »
    with rain (at best sleet) in the east today and tomorrows front also coming from the south, what is making the front tomorrow have a greater liklihood of snow in east?
    My thoughts only incabina

Firstly, it is critical that air temps remain at 2c or below for you to see snow tomorrow. Secondly, the fact that the front has to travel over a landmass that has experienced weeks of cold weather will have a bearing on what precip falls in the east and north . Thirdly, the uppers (air temps above 1200-1800) must remain above -5c or so. And fourthly, if this front becomes quasi stationary/slow moving then the warmer temps that it carries behind it will take longer to have an influence on the type of precip you see in the east and north.

The front is expected to deliver in the region of 1-1.5 inches of rain. Can you imagine what such rainfall would translate to in snowfall???

If it doesn't snow tomorrow, then at least we will have at least one outstanding memory from this cold spell. One that will stand the test of time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

still lying snow here in Clare - enough for the kids to go and have a snowball fight anyway, but the sound of dripping on the roof indicates thawing.
    Brief flurries of powder but that's it...
    Water is back too - hooray !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Looks like Grottsville out there this morning... I can see the translucent slushy wet look of the remaining icey-snow on the pavements... puddles of water sitting on top of the ice on the water... the sky has that miserable drzzly grey Atlantic look about it... yet still a bit of white stuff lying next to the dank green grass teasing me of what might have been.

And the worse thing of the lot - I can hear the all too familair wet sound of tyres on roads as cars pass by.

I'm not a celebrity but get me outta here anyway! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Firstly, it is critical that air temps remain at 2c or below for you to see snow tomorrow. Secondly, the fact that the front has to travel over a landmass that has experienced weeks of cold weather will have a bearing on what precip falls in the east and north . Thirdly, the uppers (air temps above 1200-1800) must remain above -5c or so. And fourthly, if this front becomes quasi stationary/slow moving then the warmer temps that it carries behind it will take longer to have an influence on the type of precip you see in the east and north.

The front is expected to deliver in the region of 1-1.5 inches of rain. Can you imagine what such rainfall would translate to in snowfall???

If it doesn't snow tomorrow, then at least we will have at least one outstanding memory from this cold spell. One that will stand the test of time :p

Ouch... his poor 'ead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

This wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Could end up being a last hurrah as warm meets cold for a time.

10011218_1100.gif

redsunset wrote: »
    This wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Could end up being a last hurrah as warm meets cold for a time.

How considerate of it to bypass Clare and leave us with rain. That's an unexepected set up alright. A slow moving front will certainly contribute to such an outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's something to spice up the conversation, it's warmer in Ireland now than it is in Florida. Normally (even though it is the middle of the night there) it would be about 10 C in Florida now and 20-25 C in the daytime. They have been setting low temperature records for days, tonight no exception. Yesterday was the second coldest day ever recorded in Miami and I believe the coldest ever in some other places around Florida. Mind you, it will be sunny there today, but you would need full winter dress to sit on the beach.

As to the temperatures in the UK, that was just a fluke reading in northwest Scotland where one station dropped down below -20, otherwise it is generally about the same temperature range across most of England and Wales as you have in Ireland, maybe a degree or two lower at present. When this Atlantic low comes in tomorrow, that cold air is going to stay over there and could set off the heavy snowfalls that the BBC seem to think will extend into Dublin and Ulster. They may be right about parts of Ulster, I feel, but for Dublin, I figure the chances of snow are only for a few minutes to an hour or so at the beginning of the precip event, and then probably only in the higher outlying districts, if the guidance is accurate I think it would start as sleet and quickly turn to rain (maybe 4 C by 0900, 6 C by noon) so it's going to be a case of mostly rain, some isolated snow over the higher portions of the country tomorrow.

Counties that could see heavy snow tomorrow morning or mid-day might include Louth, Westmeath, parts of Meath (west), Cavan, Monaghan and inland parts of Northern Ireland in general. Even there, I don't feel too confident on it, but if heavy snow does fall, that's more likely where it will occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

ohhh...some clatter that made!

I agree with all of the above. but if it not snowing today with the current front i just cant see how it could snow 2mor (in east). lets hope i am wrong. Anytime we get a frontal depression on east coast, it is generally rain/sleet. we do much better with the showers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Here's something to spice up the conversation, it's warmer in Ireland now than it is in Florida. Normally (even though it is the middle of the night there) it would be about 10 C in Florida now and 20-25 C in the daytime. They have been setting low temperature records for days, tonight no exception. Yesterday was the second coldest day ever recorded in Miami and I believe the coldest ever in some other places around Florida. Mind you, it will be sunny there today, but you would need full winter dress to sit on the beach.

As to the temperatures in the UK, that was just a fluke reading in northwest Scotland where one station dropped down below -20, otherwise it is generally about the same temperature range across most of England and Wales as you have in Ireland, maybe a degree or two lower at present. When this Atlantic low comes in tomorrow, that cold air is going to stay over there and could set off the heavy snowfalls that the BBC seem to think will extend into Dublin and Ulster. They may be right about parts of Ulster, I feel, but for Dublin, I figure the chances of snow are only for a few minutes to an hour or so at the beginning of the precip event, and then probably only in the higher outlying districts, if the guidance is accurate I think it would start as sleet and quickly turn to rain (maybe 4 C by 0900, 6 C by noon) so it's going to be a case of mostly rain, some isolated snow over the higher portions of the country tomorrow.

Counties that could see heavy snow tomorrow morning or mid-day might include Louth, Westmeath, parts of Meath (west), Cavan, Monaghan and inland parts of Northern Ireland in general. Even there, I don't feel too confident on it, but if heavy snow does fall, that's more likely where it will occur.

It's warmer in Ireland than Florida MT!!! Is that meant to make us feel better??? lol :)

Advertisement